Grafting power plug from bottom to top of G5

Ira Aduro

42 posts in this topic

I would be putting in less holes actually, to divert air through the dual 92s. In the end it is just a few minutes of extra work to make both templates so ill do at least two templates.

Problem solved :D

What's a few extra minutes for (possibly) years of happiness that the job was done well?

It's really nice to see this forum coming back alive with some great active input.

It's been a long time coming but I think the mint condition working family PowerMac G5 is up for replacement verrryyyy soon so I'll have that to play with

I'm thinking anodising but otherwise completely stock -- I'll solder to the original rear chopped down IO

• Like 2

It's really nice to see this forum coming back alive with some great active input.

I agree, and the posters in this thread are some of those reasons. I want to thank you all for your contributions.

I do need to also remind everyone about the Why InsanelyMac does not support tonymacx86 thread in the Forum Information forum. I know that there is some great information over there - both WTT and myself used to be active over there. But we have both switched to over here. While we may not always agree with every rule and guideline that is posted here, InsanelyMac is far more leinant, understanding, and forgiving than 'he who shall not be named', and that, to me, is worth the added time of making this forum better. My suggestion in this area is to try to get the OP to either re-post his work here, or on another site that we can link to. I can be that go-between if need be.

If anybody has specific questions about how this affects this subforum or posts made in it, please PM me.

...also nick, whould you mind if I reposted your comment above and my comment together on the main page and sticky it for others to read? I think that others could benefit from this discussion as well. Let me know when you can.

Thanks, y'all!

• Like 1

Ahh, didn't see the "Why no support for TonyMac" post before I sent you a PM - point still stands from an objective POV though;

" total ban on any topic encouraging the use of tools produced by sites with commercial interests (such as tonymacx86).."

The link I posted contains no commercial interests - I think they meant no posting of TonyMac software and such rather than user uploaded build logs

As for reposting any of my comments -- sure ! Post away

The ban on 'he who shall not be named' is variable to a certain point. While I agree with you in theory about posting a link to that site that isn't directly about one of his paid products, my view (as I PMed you) is that by having links to his site. it gives our passive support for who he is and what he does as a whole. If, after trying other avenues, we cant get that content re-posted here or on another site that we can link to, then I'd be more than happy to bring it up to the rest of the moderating team about having links like that available.

Hope that helps clarify a bit, and again - if anybody has issues regarding this - please PM me!

Thanks!

Fair enough - the rules are the rules!

Just out of interest, does InsanelyMac remove links to any other sites?

Well, I know we don't allow links to warez/items that infringe on copyright. The Tonymac rule was created as a response to certain specific infractions. I'm PM'ing you now with more details.

Wait, I'm confused - is that a late 2005 then? I didn't know there were G5's with top-mounted PSUs...

Ahh, it's that good I thought it was a MacPro ...

You know it's a job done well when someone who spends an unhealthy amount of time reading through PowerMac logs can't tell it's modified ...

Edited by nickjf20

Very well done on the outside, bit of a mess on the inside. Very confusing trying to figure out what he did. Parts look plastic, others metal. The rear IO and expansion slots are plastic. You can see in the detail shots they are "wobbly" and obviously painted with some paint starting to chip off. The way they are attached to the back is how apple attached the originals, good idea. The rear fan shield looks like a Mac Pro's but isn't, the pattern is slightly different. Neither a Mac Pro or a G5 have 7 expansion slots, but someone has gone to great lengths to make it look OEM including numbering the slots. The tab on the expansion slot covers just hangs out there, no slot to slide into, odd.

Notice the locking mechanism "ring" in the plastic bag nicely taped to the G5. I think what we are looking at is modding service for G5s in China.

I'll shoot that guy a PM and see if he wants to divulge anything.

• Like 1