• Please log in to reply
1052 replies to this topic

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Hmm.. should this work with a Asus K52 (Optimus) - i5-520M?

It may be possible. I believe someone here did manage to make it work. As long as your internal laptop is connected through LDVS and not eDP then it should work. You will have to try out and see. As everyone else says, the nVidia graphics card is connected through Intel HD Graphics IGPU, but sadly your nVidia graphics card will probably never see the light of day on OS X. Except for AMD Radeon users.

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

It may be possible. I believe someone here did manage to make it work. As long as your internal laptop is connected through LDVS and not eDP then it should work. You will have to try out and see. As everyone else says, the nVidia graphics card is connected through Intel HD Graphics IGPU, but sadly your nVidia graphics card will probably never see the light of day on OS X. Except for AMD Radeon users.

Thanks for your answer. It seems that my screen is connected through LDVS.

So for what I understand now, I should get a full-screen resolution (1366x768) and QE/CI? :D

Yeah, it would be nice if their's gonna be a solution for Optimus in the future. On Linux it is working as it should be. :)

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Thanks for your answer. It seems that my screen is connected through LDVS.

So for what I understand now, I should get a full-screen resolution (1366x768) and QE/CI? :D

Yeah, it would be nice if their's gonna be a solution for Optimus in the future. On Linux it is working as it should be. :)

You will get full resolution and QE/CI with the Intel HD Graphics IGPU if you follow the steps. B) Of course a dedicated graphics card will always provide better performance but for the most part the IGPU is sufficient. I think my laptop is happier running OS X than Windows. Windows is currently having an identity crisis.

7hacker

7hacker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you!! Thank you for this.. a lot of years waiting for this thing to happen..

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

You will get full resolution and QE/CI with the Intel HD Graphics IGPU if you follow the steps. B) Of course a dedicated graphics card will always provide better performance but for the most part the IGPU is sufficient. I think my laptop is happier running OS X than Windows. Windows is currently having an identity crisis.

Thanks! It is so strange that it is working now.. I'm following this forum a lot over the years, and finally there is a solution. :D

baongoc124

baongoc124

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi GhostRaider,
Is there anyway I can use framebuffer kext (not the alternative one)? Or do you have any idea how it is possible? Because it seems that some features are disabled with that alternative one. I assumed this because of the Info.plist.

Thanks.

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Hi GhostRaider,
Is there anyway I can use framebuffer kext (not the alternative one)? Or do you have any idea how it is possible? Because it seems that some features are disabled with that alternative one. I assumed this because of the Info.plist.

Thanks.

The alternative framebuffer is there in case your computer freezes and don't want to bother editing stuff. Its up to you if you want to edit the values in Info.plist. Everything is provided for you, so you can compare the original with the alternative one. You may have to rebuild the cache each time you edit the plist file until you are satisfied.

pashoni

pashoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
I've used search and haven't found the solution for my problem.

Here is the situation:
I've installed Mountain Lion on my Acer 7741 and got everything working expect for the WLAN and Graphics.
By using this tutorial I've managed to get CI working, but when I try to enable QE, I'm getting black screen.

There are few ways i have tried to get my 1st gen Intel graphics working (I have to mention that this is the only graphics i have in my laptop)

I've tried default framebuffer from this tutorial and got infinite spinning loop at the Apple boot screen.
I've tried alternate FB also, and the spinning wheel stopped spinning, but I've used Natit and bypassed that screen, but black screen situation occurred.
Also, I've tried the last part with manual resolution settings, but no luck.

Is there any way for me to get a fully functional graphics?

If there is someone willing to help, I'll try to provide any additional info if needed.

I hope there is someone who solved this problem.

Cheers

JahStories

JahStories

InsanelyMac Legend

• Local Moderators
  • 1,355 posts
  • Interests:Everything that got a screen on it, skateboarding, reggae music, PowerPcs, Amigas and retrogamin...
Hi there, thanks for your work and for helping us, by the way, i've got a partially working Asus N53JL everything seems to work apart the graphic accelleration, i've tried your guide but, with or without natit and with the two FB kext but i can't pass the apple logo screen, without any panic or particular errors in verbose, it's really driving me mad, please help.

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
I've used search and haven't found the solution for my problem.

Here is the situation:
I've installed Mountain Lion on my Acer 7741 and got everything working expect for the WLAN and Graphics.
By using this tutorial I've managed to get CI working, but when I try to enable QE, I'm getting black screen.

There are few ways i have tried to get my 1st gen Intel graphics working (I have to mention that this is the only graphics i have in my laptop)

I've tried default framebuffer from this tutorial and got infinite spinning loop at the Apple boot screen.
I've tried alternate FB also, and the spinning wheel stopped spinning, but I've used Natit and bypassed that screen, but black screen situation occurred.
Also, I've tried the last part with manual resolution settings, but no luck.

Is there any way for me to get a fully functional graphics?

If there is someone willing to help, I'll try to provide any additional info if needed.

I hope there is someone who solved this problem.

Cheers

Okay, delete all the Intel HD Graphics kexts and Natit. Rebuild cache and reboot. Let's start fresh.

You will need these kexts:

AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphicsVA.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.bundle
Natit.kext

So make sure you choose the appropriate version. 10.8.2 kexts are for OS X 10.8.2 and 10.8.3 kexts are for 10.8.3. Install all the Intel HD Graphics kexts and choose the default framebuffer (not alternative). Also install natit kext.

Rebuild cache and reboot. report back and tell me the result.

Hi there, thanks for your work and for helping us, by the way, i've got a partially working Asus N53JL everything seems to work apart the graphic accelleration, i've tried your guide but, with or without natit and with the two FB kext but i can't pass the apple logo screen, without any panic or particular errors in verbose, it's really driving me mad, please help.

So what happens in the boot screen? Infinite spin, frozen?

pashoni

pashoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Thank you for your fast response.
I've used the kext from this tutorial and got messed up screen.
Boot went fine and the screen is scrambled.

Here is the photo I've took to show you how exactly it looks like:

Posted Image

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Thank you for your fast response.
I've used the kext from this tutorial and got messed up screen.
Boot went fine and the screen is scrambled.

Here is the photo I've took to show you how exactly it looks like:

Posted Image

Something is not right. The framebuffer is not loaded. You get this screen if you only installed AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext without the framebuffer.

Let's do another test. Delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and make sure you installed a patched framebuffer. (Don't use the alternate one). Upload picture if possible. Which version of OS X are you using?

pashoni

pashoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I've installed those kexts and i don't have qe/ci or the proper resolution.
Everything looks the same as it looks without any of the AppleIntel kext installed.

Just to be sure that I followed you right, this is the situation without AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext installed at all and using patched framebuffer.

Here is the screenshot:

Posted Image

This is MountainLion 10.8.2

Is it possible that I have EDID problem which is causing the messed up screen?

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

I've installed those kexts and i don't have qe/ci or the proper resolution.
Everything looks the same as it looks without any of the AppleIntel kext installed.

Just to be sure that I followed you right, this is the situation without AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext installed at all and using patched framebuffer.

Here is the screenshot:

Posted Image

This is MountainLion 10.8.2

Is it possible that I have EDID problem which is causing the messed up screen?

Well by the look of things I'm guessing the framebuffer is loaded. I just want you to confirm some things. Go to System Information and check that the framebuffer is in the list. Then in System Preferences go to Display and see whether your Internal LCD is recognized. It should show a MacBook icon and not an Apple Display.

stacyk819

stacyk819

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Its possible that its not loaded though. if I load NATIT only with 1366x768 tag i only get 720p resolution and no acceleration like that .

To check if you have an edid problem boot from linux (32bit) and run the following commands

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install read-edid

sudo get-edid | parse-edid

post output

dcrui3

dcrui3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi GhostRaider,

Thanks for bringing this info all to one place it has been a real help...
I have an Asus U30jc (optimus) and have full resolution and QE/CI is working on OSX 10.8.3.

Im having one problem though with my external monitor(VGA/HDMI). When using VGA it is unrecognised in OSX. And when I press the (fn-monitor) hardware button to display out the external monitor both the monitor and the laptops displays go all distorted. When I boot with VGA already plugged in.. the external monitor displays perfectly fine(still unrecognised in OSX) but only at a resolution of 1074x768. HDMI is totally unrecognised.

- 10.8.3 Kexts SingleLink LCD+VGA from this thread.

Hope you can help.. .Thanks in advanced.

pashoni

pashoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
@ GhostRaider

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, I guess we're at different time zones.
FB wasn't loaded, I've used SingleLink to patch it and now that is loaded I get the black screen again (without AppleIntelHDGraphics and with patched FB) , therefore I can't check whether my display is recognized with FB loaded.

@ stacyk819
Thanks, I'll download some live linux distro to test EDID right away.

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Hi GhostRaider,

Thanks for bringing this info all to one place it has been a real help...
I have an Asus U30jc (optimus) and have full resolution and QE/CI is working on OSX 10.8.3.

Im having one problem though with my external monitor(VGA/HDMI). When using VGA it is unrecognised in OSX. And when I press the (fn-monitor) hardware button to display out the external monitor both the monitor and the laptops displays go all distorted. When I boot with VGA already plugged in.. the external monitor displays perfectly fine(still unrecognised in OSX) but only at a resolution of 1074x768. HDMI is totally unrecognised.

- 10.8.3 Kexts SingleLink LCD+VGA from this thread.

Hope you can help.. .Thanks in advanced.

This is more of a framebuffer issue. The problem is that LVDS+VGA is experimental and its not guaranteed to work. For example, for me VGA does not work if I just plug it in and press the display switcher button. VGA only works if I have it connected before I turn on the computer.

So far Vertek's has not been around to discuss this issue. Maybe later on he will be available.

I mean if you want to just use VGA, I believe you have to set the native resolution of the external display in the boot.org.Chameleon.plist. and have the external display connected before turning on your computer.

As for HDMI, its also a framebuffer issue and there is no solution at the moment.

@ GhostRaider

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, I guess we're at different time zones.
FB wasn't loaded, I've used SingleLink to patch it and now that is loaded I get the black screen again (without AppleIntelHDGraphics and with patched FB) , therefore I can't check whether my display is recognized with FB loaded.

I think you should upgrade your computer to 10.8.3. and then try the guide again. Maybe you will have better progress than in 10.8.2. Has everyone upgraded to 10.8.3? If so I might drop support for older versions of OS X in my guide as it seems that Intel HD Graphics works better on 10.8.3 than on 10.8.2.

pashoni

pashoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I'll update to 10.8.3 and try it with default settings from this tutorial.
I'm using external display via HDMI only (TV for watching movies) and because HDMI isn't working, which framebuffer should I use?
I would like to have the option of using VGA cable if needed.

Is there anything I have to be aware of or just to update via regular software update procedure?

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

I'll update to 10.8.3 and try it with default settings from this tutorial.
I'm using external display via HDMI only (TV for watching movies) and because HDMI isn't working, which framebuffer should I use?
I would like to have the option of using VGA cable if needed.

Is there anything I have to be aware of or just to update via regular software update procedure?

As of now HDMI is not working. The thing about VGA is that it depends on how OS X recognizes it. I'm not sure if just plugging a VGA cable in will work and then just use the display switcher key or whether the TV will appear in the Display Preferences. Again, that depends on your computer.

Another way is to have the TV connected through VGA before you turn on your computer. Then the screen should output to the TV automatically. As for the TV resolution, as I said to dcrui3, you probably need to set a resolution in the org.Chameleon.boot.plist file.

Upgrading to 10.8.3 should be straightforward. Use the Combo version. Remember that before you reboot your computer, you need to delete the Intel HD Graphics kexts from the Extensions folder or it won't boot. (You can save the kexts in a folder or something.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Intel GMA HD, Arrandale, Intel GMA 5700HD

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy