Asus G75VX - Mountain Lion

Valse

138 posts in this topic

Ok. So I think I edited the nvidia kexts right but I need nvdaresman.kext and everytime I install it, it hangs on startup. The weird thing is that I don't see anything out of the ordinary when booting in verbose mode. Any feedback would be appreciated

if you remove fakesmc, leave nvdaresman and boot verbose, the system won't boot but it may gives you a clue about Fakesmc is giving conflicts with nvdaresman. The key must be a binary patch to nvdaresman or patch fakesmc. Patching kakesmc is easier because there is source code for that

In case I do get this patched, I already modified NVDAStartup.kext for the 670mx: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4059

I also modified fakesmc to have the smc version of the actual MacBook Pro 10,1 (which is the smbios I'm using). Supposedly that should bring about performance improvements: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4065

The kext for the wifi and bluetooth (thought the bluetooth didn't work for me) was put on a previous post too.

So if I can get this patched, Everything will be working besides the bluetooth which is no big deal to me.

Finally, how do you know it's fakesmc causing the issues? When I boot with nvdaresman and fakesmc installed, the verbose shows nothing out of the ordinary, it just hangs there. I even removed fakesmc and installed nvdareman but still nothing out of the ordinary

ok. I've been looking at the source code here: https://github.com/kozlek/HWSensors/tree/master/FakeSMC

and noticed that in the description it says that the nvram is not used by default but can be force enabled by using the kernel flag 

-fakesmc-use-nvram

I wonder if enabling nvram would change anything. 

I'm using the kozlek version

*edit* Tried again using the force enabling command but still got the same results. Seemingly normal boot but never reached the login screen

Still no progress on the graphics acceleration but I did accidentally find a kext for the keyboard backlight and hotkeys and possibly a better trackpad kext (didn't try the trackpad one). I had to create a dsdt and make and edit though to get the backlight to work.

Not all of the hotkeys work though. I got the volume keys, keyboard brightness keys, and media keys working. The wifi ones are still glitchy (because it's for bluetooth too which I dont have working yet) and the screen brightness ones aren't working at all. It's still better than nothing though.

Kext: http://www.osx86.net/view/4064-fn_hotkey-keyboard_backlight_kext_for_asus_laptops.html

If anyone knows anything about the fakesmc source code and stuff please let me know. I don't know much about it.

Thanks. I think that the screen brightness keys will work once we get the graphics working because the brightness slider doesn't appear in the display in system preferences either.

The developers of the bluetooth kext are working on the bugs so maybe it'll work sometime down the road too

I haven' t experienced any bluetooth problem since I changed the wifi card. I rebrand a Toshiba broadcom to Apple AirPort so my system has no bluetooth but detects the wifi card as an official airpot one.

Hey I think you need to inject the correct connector-type, display-cfg, connector-flags. My theory is that kepler desktop cards and some mobile are working because the type of the conector they use Display port, DVI are working with the detection the driver itself is doing, but if your first display is LVDS like in your case the driver detection is not working. So try to inject with an EFI string.

If you like to try it out let me know and I can generate for you some EFI strings

Good luck

OK Bad news:

My notebook returned from RMA. Once in my hands I did the same thing that broke the BIOS before:

Disable Legacy USB
Enable USB 3 (Changed from AUTO to ENABLED)
Save and Exit

The notebook died again. Same situation than before. Power on, backlit on and off, black screen forever.

I disabled Legacy USB cause my external drives are disconnecting suddenly in windows 8 when I copy a lot of very large files from one disk to other. Disabling Legacy USB solver the question. And to boot ML correctly, of course

They fixed the BIOS without replacing the motherboard cause I mini-marked it before send it to the RMA. The same MOBO returned.

QUESTION:

Do you know a way to BIOS recovery mode entering with some combination of buttons to reflash the BIOS?

I started this thread in ROG forums:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35925-G75VX-BIOS-Issue

Then replied a thread in OverClock forums inquiring about it:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1368862/first-unlocked-g75vx-working-bios/10

And then replied another ROG forum about it too:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29307-Another-Briked-G75/page8

Do you know a way to BIOS recovery mode entering with some combination of buttons to reflash the BIOS?

The procedure is explained quite well here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/714764-asus-n56vz-no-logo-no-post-no-boot-no-screen-2.html#post9153960

I had to do something similar before with my N55SL when it would turn on and instantly go off when I had changed the Intel MEI firmware flashing settings in the BIOS...

Since I can't reach anything to see on the screen, I removed all hard disks from the notebook. Putted the first hard drive to an USB external enclosure and attached to my iMac. Copied the .bin file that is in my c: drive to the root of a fat32 formatted pendrive with led indicator (to know if the flashing is working or not) Full charged the battery. Turned off the notebook. Attached the pendrive to the upper left USB port. Pressed Control+Inicio, holdem and pressed the power button. Notebook went on, keyboard backlit went on-off. Released the Control+ Inicio. Waited for the pendrive to do anything. Nothing. Black screen. Pendrive doesn't do anything.

Well, after paying more atention, I realized that the notebook indeed DOES somthing when I started it pressing CRTL+HOME. Never noticed beforce, but if I don't press that combination the screen is black with no hdd led working. But when I power up with CTRL+HOME pressed, after a few seconds the screen remains black but the hdd led starts to light constantly. Weak but contantly. You have to look carefully to notice it. That shows me that CTRL+HOME seems to work. But it seems to never end the task. The notebook never shutsdown, like it supossed to do after flashing. There's no noise coming from the hdds but the spinning noise.

Did you rename the bin file you copied like both those links said (yes, my post is less concise on things - the thread is on my N55SL and when I'm putting files on the USB stick through my phone in USB host mode, I don't really have the time to figure out which filename is the correct one)? If it's found the correct file, the BIOS will restore the default failsafe settings and you will see the ASUS splash screen followed by ASUS EzFlash flashing the BIOS you put on the USB stick.

I din't rename the file cause it must work that way. The file was originally in my c: drive. It's called G75VX.BIN, so I assume is the correct name since Asus putted there.

Oh s h i t. Wait! The flash worked. Cause the notebook reseted itself. It just took more time that I expected to. Like 15 minutes. I went to the kitchen to prepare a sandwich, came to my room just in time to see it rebooting. But the screen is still black.

Back on topic, I've done some troubleshooting and I'm not so sure that nvdaresman is in conflict with fakesmc. Is there any kind of a debug mode or anything so I can see more of what's going on during the verbose boot of chameleon? Any way to save the boot log?

Simple as removing the fakesmc and the system won't end booting but won't panic neither. So with nvdaresman and fakesmc the system panic. Without fakesmc the system wont panic nor boot..

I've been researching a bit, Asus graphics cards uses different and propietary stuff. The solution here must pass trough the path of binary patch. Anyway, when the notebook arrives from 2nd RMA I will sell it. Don't want to spend more of my lifetime in stuff like this.

Since I didn't bought this notebook for playing all day,just ocassionally, I'm planning to replace it for the new macbook pro with haswell the next month, or, in case I succesfully research about installing ML or Maverick on the G750, buy that one.

Anyway, If I'm still having this one, I will help here all I can.