this is a small guide to get as much as possible out of this motherboard.
The focus is set on the board itself, not pluggable devices like CPUs or GPUs, meaning you will have to add the video card properties to the DSDT if needed and create an SSDT for your processor.
All links and attachments are collected at the bottom of this post.
To get the system booting you optimally need a patched BIOS and a FakeSMC.kext.
The patched BIOS allows Mac to use its native power management. This way you won't need any additional or patched extensions like AppleACPIPlatform. or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.
Additionally some boot loader; I use Clover but there are alternatives as well. Chameleon might be easier to setup first.
Using PMPatch by CodeRush makes modyfing BIOS images very easy. You need to download an official BIOS file from ASUS and run the utility on it. Afterwards use Flash Toolkit (FTK) to flash it.
More information in the link section. Read carefully!
Initially I set most options to "manual" to ensure Mac won't have any problems recognizing them but it seems this is not needed.
1) Advanced \ CPU Configuration \ CPU Power Management Configuration
- Enable all states and package support
for Clover UEFI boot:
2) Boot \ Compatibility Support Module (CSM)
- disable if your video card got an EFI VBIOS (GOP)
- otherwise prioritise UEFI devices
3) Boot \ Secure Boot
- OS Type: Other OS (otherwise Clover UEFI will not start)
4) Boot \ Full Screen Logo
- disable for native resolution without CsmVideo plugin
The attached DSDT was extracted from BIOS v0908 and decompiled using iasl version 20130214-64. It can probably be used with ongoing versions. v1001 didn’t bring any DSDT changes for example.
As of 10.8.3 this board works quite well including Sleep without a custom DSDT.
I found these modifications to be useful, though:
- USB3 Intel ports backwards compatibility (credits to Mieze)
- Rearranged interrupts (IRQNoFlags) for TIMR, RTC and HPET
- HDEF "layout-id" 1 for use with patched AppleHDA and HDMI audio (didn't test)
- ASMedia USB3 controller automatic Wake fix
- Ethernet device properties (still requires an additional driver)
- Added MCHC (DRAM controller) and IMEI (Intel Management Engine Interface) devices
- Disabled several unused devices
- OSYS variable set to 07D2 (Windows 2001 SP1)
- Cosmetic device name changes
- Fixed errors and warnings, added optimizations
- Added DTGP method
Additionally I included the original unmodified DSDT table if you want to see the exact changes.
I highly recommend not to use my DSDT without revaluation. Search for:
.. and replace these lines with the ones you got from your own self-extracted DSDT table.
Use a new iasl version to compile the .dsl file. You shouldn't get any errors, warnings or optimisation messages.
The built in ethernet chip Realtek RTL8168 needs an additional extension.
There are several drivers available and personally I recommend to use Mieze’s version which is linked below. It performs great under load and has no IP assignment problems.
The sound chip ALC892 needs a patched AppleHDA.kext and a way to inject the layout-id, preferably via DSDT – which is already done in DSDT below.
You can find a link to a patched 10.8.3 AppleHDA below. It works great including front panel and microphone.
The ASM1042 USB3 chip needs its own drivers. CalDigit provides a driver set which just requires a small modification.
<key>IOPCISecondaryMatch</key> <string>0x01942188 0x01952188</string>Replace IOPCIMatch to match your device/vendor ID, in this case 10421B21:
<key>IOPCIMatch</key> <string>0x10421B21</string>The 2 ASMedia ports are on the left side of the Ethernet port.
Sleep started working with ML 10.8.3.
I didn't investigate any further.
Have fun setting things up.
(Bootloader) Chameleon: http://www.insanelym...taller-binaries
(Bootloader) Clover: http://www.insanelym...2-instructions
(BIOS) Power management patch: http://www.insanelym...tching-utility , http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1726429 (Section 5.2)
(DSDT) Editor: http://www.insanelym...or-and-patcher
(Ethernet) extension: http://www.insanelym...realtek-rtl8111
(FakeSMC) extension: https://bitbucket.or...nsors/downloads
(Sound) extension: http://www.insanelym...ehda-for-alc892
(USB3) extension: http://www.caldigit....08&viewlocale=1