Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 80486sx said:

What would you recommend? I don't really care which version  I end up using just which one is easier to set up. My BIOS is on 1.52 right now and I saw a modded one for 1.52 online so I would rather use that but I'm not installing it right now because Ethernet is fine for me at the moment, however its not working in High Sierra (which is what is on the laptop now) so I can't download the patcher

sorry. i messed up the Ethernet kext on the last release - just fixed it. reposted the release on Github.

The easiest to install is HighSierra - works out of the box. (no extra kexts needed i.e no need to use older graphics kexts IMO. Just follow the recipe in the Guide here.

The dosdude1 method is working for me on Catalina (or Mojave) - they are the same process - create a USB installer and then use his post install method. I use Catalina to be consistent with my other Macs. 

in all cases, for High Sierra, Catalina or Mojave you can just install the zip bundle on SSD/HD ESP (and USB).

for me the same bundle works without changes. I use the config.EDID-2e2.plist as the configi.plist

it work for Sierra too - just that one needs the older 2.3 IntelMausiEthernext.kext

as far as modded bios - you wont need this unless you replace the WiFi chip. 

Yeah High Sierra was working except Ethernet. I did notice though that graphics seems a little choppy, maybe the screen was in the wrong mode because the T420's screen has a 50hz and 60hz mode, and it looked like it was in 50hz mode

ethernet will work now with latest pack.

hmm. 50 vs 60hz should not make it choppy. check to make sure you have full gfx. LaunchPad should be nice and smooth coming and going. menu bar and dock should have transparency. etc.

248289803_ScreenShot2019-12-26at2_28_44PM.thumb.png.731dc57c4da8d0105bd07e757e802934.png

the About this Mac/ System report should show look something like this: -^

tluck@Toms-Mac ~

$ ioreg -l | grep HD3000

| |   | | |   "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e"="AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin"}

| |   | | |   "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e"="AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin"}

| |   |   |   "IODVDBundleName" = "AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver"

| |   |   |   "IOGLBundleName" = "AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver"

| |   |   |   "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e"="AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin"}

| |   |   |   "CFBundleIdentifierKernel" = "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics"

| |   |   |   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics"

tluck@Toms-Mac ~

$ ioreg -l | grep "model"

|   "model" = <"MacBookPro8,1">

| |   | |   "model" = <"Intel HD Graphics 3000">

| |   | |   "model" = <"Intel E1000e">

| |   |   |   "model" = "Intel 82579LM PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet"

| |   |     |   "model" = <"Apple WiFi card">

| |     "model" = "Disk Image Driver for MacOS X"

tluck@Toms-Mac ~

$ ioreg -l | grep -v Kit | grep "IntelAccel" 

| |   | | |   "IOAccelTypes" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IGPU@2/IntelAccelerator"

| |   | | |   "IOAccelTypes" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IGPU@2/IntelAccelerator"

| |   | +-o IntelAccelerator  <class Gen6Accelerator, id 0x1000003e8, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 49>

Whats really bothering though is how I have to delete all the boot args and change the SMBIOS every time i boot, something that is still happening on the new version

what do you mean - change the SMBIOS and delete the boot args?

copy the zip to /Volumes/ESP/EFI

copy config.EDID-2e2.plist to config.plist

does the IntelMausiEthernet kext load? 

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 8.45.55 PM.png

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 80486sx said:

Okay heres the thing. even when using config2e2 it doesn't boot unless I delete the -no_compat_check boot argument and set the smbios to MacBookPro10,1

Also when I am in Network settings Ethernet doesn't show up

heres the thing from my point of view: can you collect some information?

does your system have Nvidia gfx?

what gfx is showing when you use MBP10,1 ?

if you boot with MBP8,1 and use -v or -x ...  does it get running? can you be more specific on what doesn't boot mean? does nothing? or stops at some point? does show a black screen or apple logo not completing?

run these:

kextstat | grep -i mausi 

kextstat | grep -i graphics

if you see that IntelMausi kext is running, then delete and re-create your ethernet interface.

Sorry I wasn't being specific. Ill run those commands in a little while but I'll give you more info. My system on has the intergrated graphics, when I boot it with the MBP10,1 it shows HD Graphics 3000. Normally when it boots the loading bar goes halfway, then it goes to the login screen, what happens now is the bar goes halfway, then goes to a black screen and hangs there

EDIT Ok i booted it with -v and -x like you said and it hangs on "Wating for DSMOS"

EDIT 2 If I remove -no_compat_check it doesn't change anything in safe mode but in normal mode it gets passed DSMOS and then goes to a black screen

EDIT 3 tried again in safe mode and it got passed DSMOS, but then it goes to a black screen after the verbose stuff

Edited by 80486sx

Ok i have a new development, I got it to boot by leaving all the settings alone and only changing product name from MBP8,1 to MBP10,1. I ran the commands, and graphics seemed to be working but nothing showed up for ethernet. So I then tried to use kext load to run the Mausi kext and it said authentication failure (file ownership/permissions) so I took ownership of it and it still happens.

Edited by 80486sx

33 minutes ago, 80486sx said:

Ok i have a new development, I got it to boot by leaving all the settings alone and only changing product name from MBP8,1 to MBP10,1. I ran the commands, and graphics seemed to be working but nothing showed up for ethernet. So I then tried to use kext load to run the Mausi kext and it said authentication failure (file ownership/permissions) so I took ownership of it and it still happens.

so with the black screen with MBP8,1 --  can you increase the brightness? FN Home keys?

did you download the recent pack?

to load a kext  it needs to be owned by root

sudo chown -R 0:0 IntelMausiEthernet.kext
sudo kextload IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Edited by tluck

I'm using the latest version. When I'm using MBP8,1 I can make it sleep, can hear sounds when pressing wrong keys, but black screen. I think i figured out part of the problem though. I booted it with 2e3 instead of 2e2 (which allows me to change the refresh rate). It boots up just fine, unless I change it to 50hz and then the screen goes black. So maybe something is making it boot up in 50hz mode when I don't change the SMBIOS?

you don't have to copy anything to the OS folders. just leave kexts in the ESP/EFI location. but if you do then use /Library/Extensions

what does this mean?

I did the commands you said and the kext doesn't work still

does the kext load when using the commands above? does it show up when you run:

kextstat | grep -i Mausi

if so then create the Ethernet in the Sys Prefs.

Edited by tluck
  • Like 1

I'm having a few more minor issues, and I feel like using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Is that a good idea?

Also im aware those tools aren't supported here, im just getting a little tired of messing with stuff

3 hours ago, 80486sx said:

I fixed it!!!, the ethernet kext you included was broken so I downloaded RehabMan's one and now its working!

no it's not broken - i include the kext from the author. and i just downloaded the full pack (dated on the 26th) from github and it worked for me on 10.13.6, 10.14.6, and 10.15.2

but glad you found something that works for you.

anything to do with the keyboard is from VoodooPS2Controller kext. you can edit the plugin Info.plist to suit your needs.

and what other minor issues did you run in to?

17 minutes ago, 80486sx said:

Never mind about M U L I T I B E A ST. Some of the other issues include not being able to control brightness, and low FPS compared to windows in a game i tested (Minecraft)

Thanks for all the help BTW

If you cannot control brightness, and. slow FPS wonder if you do not have full gfx? 

if you boot with MBP10,1 it probably wont be. 

what resoution is your screen?

Edited by tluck