Toshiba Portege M400, Native success

carpao

110 posts in this topic

Hi Siegfried,

I am slowly getting my Toshiba M400 working with Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I installed iPortable_Snow_X86 with the Chocolate kernel and am incrementally installing the .kext files you supplied to me (thanks greatly to you for being so generous). I haven't had any kernel panics except for firewire .kext problems so I removed them. So far I have the display working with Quartz, etc., and as a tablet with screen rotation. It will work with an external LCD but only internal or external, not both. I am also using an external Belkin USB wireless with drivers from Ralink's website. I will post further developments here as I succeed with them. Did you ever update to 10.6.3?

You should probably use a slightly newer distro. I don't remember how I set up Leopard, but I have sound working on Snow Leopard and accelerated display (had to use old framebuffer drivers but it works great).

The WiFi never worked for me, but my M400 came with an unsupported WiFi card anyhow, so I just bought a small USB wireless dongle that works quite well using Ralink drivers.

Thanks Siegfried!

I'll try that one Grim Reaper installed. I *think* I made an image of my current Kalyway install using the disk utility. I hate to waste it, as it all looks pretty solid, aside from the onboard sound and wireless, and I tried installing an external USB audio interface which worked out just fine.

The display thing doesn't sound like much hassle. There's a 15" LCD laying around here doing nothing if I need it.

Take Care

I got the Audio and Cardbus slot to work but not the built-in Firewire (Texas Instruments: Vendor: 104C DEV: 803A. Does anyone know how to get that working with Snow Leopard (10.6.2)?

After I get the built-in Firewire working, everything except the built-in wireless b/g/a will work, then I'll put together a package of all kexts for everyone to access.

Thanks Siegfried!

I'll try that one Grim Reaper installed. I *think* I made an image of my current Kalyway install using the disk utility. I hate to waste it, as it all looks pretty solid, aside from the onboard sound and wireless, and I tried installing an external USB audio interface which worked out just fine.

The display thing doesn't sound like much hassle. There's a 15" LCD laying around here doing nothing if I need it.

Take Care

I got the Audio and Cardbus slot to work but not the built-in Firewire (Texas Instruments: Vendor: 104C DEV: 803A. Does anyone know how to get that working with Snow Leopard (10.6.2)?

You have to delete the AppleHPET.kext - it conflicts with the Firewire driver. I haven't looked for a patched AppleHPET.kext yet, but I don't really need HPET. Cheers.

I had deleted AppleHPET.kext but that didn't make any difference, the built-in firewire doesn't work but a cardbus card with firewire and usb does, very strange. I'll do more research. Thanks.

You have to delete the AppleHPET.kext - it conflicts with the Firewire driver. I haven't looked for a patched AppleHPET.kext yet, but I don't really need HPET. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hi Siegfried and Grim Reaper ,

How did you make the internal LCD work? Is it possible for you to post the applicable kexts and outline the steps. I have the iAtkos S3 installed and the internal LCD either stays dark or gray. Output to the external monitor is fine (up to 1900x1620 I believe.) I have tried to generate and modify the dsdt.aml file according to several suggesttions scattered around the forums but none of the method works. The graphics card is identified as GMA950 with device ID 0x27a2.

My laptop also has the sleep issue. If I put it to sleep, the external monitor would not wake up after sleep. For touchscroll and tap clicking, I installed the Alps Glidepoint and Voodoo kexts, but those capabilities are deactivated when the computer goes to sleep, I have to open the Trackpad reference and select Clicking option to turn those back on. The SD Card Reader is not recognized. Please advise if you have solutions to these issues.

I installed the Upek software for Mac to use the fingerprint reader with no problem. Replacing the Wifi card with a the Mac compatible one for wireless access.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Hi Siegfried,

I am slowly getting my Toshiba M400 working with Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I installed iPortable_Snow_X86 with the Chocolate kernel and am incrementally installing the .kext files you supplied to me (thanks greatly to you for being so generous). I haven't had any kernel panics except for firewire .kext problems so I removed them. So far I have the display working with Quartz, etc., and as a tablet with screen rotation. It will work with an external LCD but only internal or external, not both. I am also using an external Belkin USB wireless with drivers from Ralink's website. I will post further developments here as I succeed with them. Did you ever update to 10.6.3?

• 3 months later...

I've recently purchased a m400 and am trying to run Snow Leopard on it. Currently I have most aspects working great, unfortunately i can't get the internal LCD to work when using QE/CI. The external vga works fine but this is a slightly hindering the usefulness of this portable computer :D

I've read this thread a few times and was hoping that someone could post the modified files to get the internal LCD to work correctly and save me going crazy trying to replicate it.

Many Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Grim Reaper, you said that you had the rotation working on the internal screen how did you do this. I need details. Thanks...Wrayski iportable Snow leopard working but no rotation, audio and firewire in -legacy 32bit mode. Also I don't know if anyone else has this from iportable for some reason my 2ghz core 2 is running as a 3ghz core 2 and my 667 memory is showing to be 800 in the About this mac. Anyone who has the rotation please let me know how you set it up. Ta...

• 7 months later...