Triple boot help

Amit Meena

36 posts in this topic

As it has been stated before, install Ubuntu on the 500gb hard drive but make sure you install Grub to the / partition.

Then set your bios to boot of the ssd and Chameleon will find all three operating systems.

On my notebook I am booting OSX, Win8, WinXP, Ubuntu, Mint and OpenSuse all on one 500gb hard drive.

Mike

Again, why exactly 500GB and not 100GB or 300 GB or 800Gb? Why ssd and not hdd(do you mean another separate drive where is chameleon installed, well I don't have any ssd drive)? That is strange. What a difference? I just don't get it.

And what do you mean installing grub to / partition -- f.e. for a hard drive(/dev/sda or /dev/sdc or /dev/sdc) or on a root partition where Linux system is installed(/dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1)? And what type of grub do you mean -- grub-bios or grub-uefi?

Again, why exactly 500GB and not 100GB or 300 GB or 800Gb? Why ssd and not hdd(do you mean another separate drive where is chameleon installed, well I don't have any ssd drive)? That is strange. What a difference? I just don't get it.

And what do you mean installing grub to / partition -- f.e. for a hard drive(/dev/sda or /dev/sdc or /dev/sdc) or on a root partition where Linux system is installed(/dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1)? And what type of grub do you mean -- grub-bios or grub-uefi?

they were replying to my first post for the SSD and 500 GB as i was the thread starter, so don't take it as a must condition we can use whatever size HDD we want to use.

P.S. : i haven't got a chance to test it guys as i have exams going and they'll take some time to finish :(

Well, I FINALY managed how to boot OSX 10.8.3 from grub. It's need
manually to add to /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

menuentry "MacOS X, chameleon" {
insmod hfsplus
set root=(hd0,1)
multiboot /boot
}

If something existed about OS X in that file before it has to be replaced with
what I wrote above(hd0.1 // 0 -- number of disk, 1 -- number of partition where
OSX is installed, in my case it's hd0,1). And do not do update-grub after
editing that file(if to do update-grub the configuration will be overwritten and
not bootable for OSX, and will have to be edited again). And grub has to be
installed not for the whole hard drive but in the root partition / of the Linux and
that partition should be flagged as boot(f.e. using gparted to do that). I had to
do chroot by Debian-live wheezy(because I restored Debian system partition
with Clonezilla live-usb to already created ext4 partition without bootloader) in
installed Debian / and to execute "grub-install --force /dev/sdXY"(X -- hard
drive, Y -- partition of root / of Linux).
I had also reinstall chameleon on a partition where is OSX installed. I installed
chameleon in booted OSX, the package of it is here(during installation of it it's
need to choose to install bootloader to OSX partition, NOT to the other
partition).
It is on a BIOS(not UEFI) motherboard with installed Debian 7 and
OSX10.8.3(updated from OSX 10.8.2 iatkosML2).

Here is a scheme of disk partitions. So, there are options in grub now to boot
to Linux or to OSX(or Windows, if it was installed somewhere).