• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

natgab

natgab

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Having problems emptying my trash can after delete about 12GB of junk I had copied from my brother Windows PC hard drive.

I was backing up his data so I could completely wipe his PC. After I finished copying back his data to his computer, I just went and dragged the entire HD image to the trash (oops). I have delete large video files and multiple DVD images before in my Mac, but for some reason the trash did not empty this time.

I tried Secure empty trash which usually takes care of stubborn deletes. And even after a reboot it still shows I have my trash can filled. I also tried:
rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
It is not emptying the trash can. Both with and without the "sudo".

Any ideas on what to do? I recently upgraded the 10.7.5 supplemental without problems.

TIA

Currently running OS X 10.7.5 / OS X 10.6.8 / Ubuntu Studio 12.04 / Windows XP

Boots to Lion with Chamaleon, 3 internal HD (OSs) & 1 external HD (data)

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Gotta empty it from Windows :(

lucky it's not kernel panicing when you try

natgab

natgab

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Thanks. Booting to window solved the problem. If I ran OS X without the external connected, the trash was empty, it only was full (and full) with the external HD plugged in.

Ran Maintenace & Onyx afterwards to make sure all the crud was wiped away in OS X.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safe boot, secure empty trash, linux, Win XP, Snow Leopard, Lion, Terminal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy