My system:

Lenovo B570

CPU: i3-2330M 2.20GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

WLAN: Atheros AR9285 Rev 2

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8xxx Gigabit

Audio: ALC272

My BIOS version: 44CN43WW

Huge thanks to macinsane for his great Lion guide.

I start this thread just to update his guide to Mountain Lion.

This guide should be useful for similar laptops like Lenovo V570, V470, z570, z560…

I'm not English, sorry for any mistake I've made in this guide (please report, I will happy to correct them).

What works:

QE/CI

Speedstep and sleep

Audio (speakers, microphone, headphones, external mic)

HDMI (audio via HDMI not tested, but should work)

eSATA

Webcam with CamTwist, or switching camera module (read below)

Brightness keys (remapped to Fn+Home and Fn+Insert) (I can't be able to set lowest brightness steps like in Ubuntu. See details)

Volume keys

HWMonitor (Temp, Multiplier, Frequency)

DVD burner

What doesn't work:

Card reader (Realtek rts5139 USB)

Fingerprint Scanner (LighTuning Technology)

I've not tested VGA, please report (maybe need patching)

Ok, lets have some fun!

Part 1 - Prerequisites

Download all the stuff!

micred_kexts_v1.0.zip http://www.sendspace.com/file/kgxwqv (or attached to this post)

micred_Extra_v1.0.zip: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1vulbl (or attached to this post)

installer_v1.0.zip: http://www.sendspace.com/file/q3f2du

Last but not least Mac OS X 10.8.2. If you have a working OS X, you can buy it from an app store.

Get an empty 8GB USB drive.

Now enable AHCI SATA and USB legacy from your BIOS setup.

I've also enabled Intel Virtual Technology.

Partition your internal hard drive to have space for OS X partition.

Part 2 - Creating the installer

I will be pretty synthetic on this part, for further details follow this excellent newbie guide.

Lenovo UEFI doesn't support HFS+, so you must format your USB drive (and your hard drive, too) with MBR partition table, not GUID as explained in that guide.

From a working OS X:

Open Disk Utility, click on your USB drive, click on partition tab, under "Partition Layout" click “1 Partition”, click Options and select MBR. Click Apply and wait.

Mount your Mountain Lion DMG.

Type in a Terminal:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg 

Open Disk Utility, click on “Mac OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop your USB partition (not whole drive, just the inner Untitled partition) to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while.

Open a Terminal and type:

sudo rm /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation/Packages
sudo cp -R /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/Packages /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation/		 (this step takes a few minutes)
sudo cp /Volumes/Mac OS X Install ESD/mach_kernel /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/

Now unextract installer_v1.0.zip and copy the kexts:

sudo cp -R ~/Downloads/installer_v1.0/installer_kexts/* /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Library/Extensions
And copy Extra folder, too:
sudo cp -R ~/Downloads/installer_v1.0/installer_extra/Extra /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/

On the USB stick (/Volumes/Mac OS X Base System 1) navigate to /System/Installation/Packages/. Delete OSInstall.mpkg and replace it with the one you have downloaded.

Now navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/. Delete OSInstall and replace it with the one you just downloaded.

Install Chameleon on the USB drive (Mac OS X Base System 1).

You are done.

Part 3 - Installing OS X

Boot your Lenovo with the USB stick and press F12 at boot. Select your USB and wait the Mountain Lion installer starts.

Attach an USB mouse.

Select your current OSX partition to upgrade or an empty partition where install ML from scratch. You can use Disk Utility to format your drive (pay attention!).

Follow installer instructions and wait.

When the computer reboots, press F12 and boot to the installer another time (boot back into the install USB - NOT OS X!)

Open Terminal and type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R NullCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R ApplePS2Controller.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/

cp –R IO80211Family.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R RealtekRTL81xx.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/

cp –R /Extra /Volumes/"OS X"/

NOTE: This assumes your install partition is called “OS X” as I said above. If for whatever reason you called it something else replace “OS X” with whatever you called it.

NOTE 2: pay attention to avoid trailing slash after Extra or after individual kext file name.

Reboot.

Part 4 - Booting ML

Reboot your system and boot to the USB stick again but this time select your OS X install. This should boot you into your installed copy of ML.

Open "System Preferences" go-to "Security and Privacy", click the lock and give it your password then set "Allow applications downloaded from" to anywhere.

Navigate to your folder of installer software and run the chameleon package, install it to your OS X drive.

Unpack micred_Extra_v1.0.zip and overwrite Extra folder:

sudo cp -R ~/Downloads/micred_Extra_v1.0/Extra /

Then remove NullCPU to enable SpeedStep:

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Clean up old kexts if you upgrade from Lion (and you follow the macinsane guide):

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/Voodoo*
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AHCI_Intel_SATA.kext
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

Unpack KEXTs and copy them all to /System/Library/Extensions. From Terminal type:

sudo cp -R ~/Downloads/micred_kexts_v1.0/* /System/Library/Extensions/

(Note: write the path you unpack the files in place of Downloads)

Launch Kext Utility for fixing kext permissions and rebuild cache.

You are done! Reboot.

Enjoy OS X. And remember to try Ubuntu 12.10 ;-)

Pitfalls

I got a huge problem upgrading from Lion 10.7.2. All seems to work but in the background there was a process (launchd) that was crashing every few seconds. It ate up battery and made the system less reactive.

In the Activity Monitor I saw that ReportCrash was using CPU and in /var/log/kernel.log I saw many lines like this:

com.apple.launchd.peruser.1000[430] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[880]): Could not setup Mach task special port 8: (os/kern) invalid argument
Oct 10 00:30:21 MacBook-Pro-di-Michele.local UserEventAgent[880]: +[CLLocationManager appsUsingLocationWithInfo]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x10b785ea8
Oct 10 00:30:21 MacBook-Pro-di-Michele.local UserEventAgent[880]: *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '+[CLLocationManager appsUsingLocationWithInfo]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x10b785ea8'

I also wasn't able to open Security & Privacy preferences pane nor Console.

I resolved reinstalling 10.8.2 from scratch.

EDIT: Steve O find how to solve that problem without reinstalling.

Extra notices

Webcam

You have to install CamTwist to make the webcam works. Start the app that use the webcam (e.g. Photo Booth) then open CamTwist and select "Webcam".

I can't be able to make it work in Skype.

Otherwise you can buy a webcam from Lenovo G575 or similar on eBay for less then $20. You have to switch it (it's compatible, that's just 2 screws). It works OOTB (in Skype, too) and image quality is better. Pay attention that the webcam you buy is the same form factor (Lenovo G575 is ok) and has at least 0.3M pixel resolution (cheap Lenovo B570 has a crappy 320x240 resolution :-O ).

SpeedStep

I think that power management is fully working. MSRDumper show PStatesReached: 8 9 11 15 19 22. Is it correct?

Battery life should be around 3 hours on a new battery (to be tested deeply, forum feedback reports inconsistent results).

Details

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is patched using this script.

IOAHCIFamily.kext is patched using this patch.

IO80211Family.kext is edited with vendorId and deviceId of AR5B195.

AnyiSightCam.kext is edited with vendorId and deviceId of B570 webcam (058F:A006).

Thanks

macinsane for his great guide and stuff.

data14 for research and tests with patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and SSDT.

other well known guys behind the hackintosh world.

Share your experience, I will update this guide.

micred_kexts_v1.0.zip

micred_Extra_v1.0.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonderful guide. Can't believe there aren't more posts thanking you for this work.

Well, it helped me tons in moving to Mac os mountain lion.

Couple of notes:

1. had to repatch with stock AICPM.kext and install i5 SSDT otherwise it would KP (v570) (rest was same)

2. Had to copy the packages and mach_kernel manually because the script wouldn't work for some reason. The packages don't just take a few minutes, but more like 13-14 minutes.

3. could add that people should copy all downloaded and extracted zips to the usb, instead of just the installer folder to increase efficiency lol ;) but thats just me

4. After the mac installation is done, no need to reboot, just use the terminal from there. The 10-sec-reboot countdown halts till we are done copying through the terminal. (But I guess your method is def easier for people who are new :)

Otherwise, a great guide.

Seamlessly installs if one follows the directions closely. Very impressed with this guide. Never took less than 2 hours to install mac in my life before.

Thanks micred!

The battery percent in the menu bar drops down but don't go back up with charging.

It also takes a while when I unplug and the screen dims down (the time OSX takes to recognize that I am now on battery power takes at least 20 seconds)

Is voodoobattery working with Mountain Lion? What dsdt changes have been made besides the AppleSmartBattery patch? Do you have a dsdt without the battery patch so I can give this a try?

Thanks again.

edit; the battery percents are going up now but still have the other time delay problem... I guess it's ok for now.

Fix Display Brightness Steps (Workaround)

1. Download brightness level script.zip

2. Extract those two files from the zip and copy both of them to /System/

3. Go to System Preferences and then select "Users and Groups"

4. Click on Login Items

5. Click the "+" to add an item. Navigate to /System/ and select "Brightness Fix Script"

6. Done. You can relogin to test :)

Source

SSDT's

ssdt_i3_2310m.aml

ssdt_i3_2310m.dsl

ssdt_i3_2330m.aml

ssdt_i3_2330m.dsl

ssdt_i3_2350m.aml

ssdt_i3_2350m.dsl

ssdt_i3_2370m.aml

ssdt_i3_2370m.dsl

ssdt_i5_2410m.aml

ssdt_i5_2410m.dsl

ssdt_i5_2430m.aml

ssdt_i5_2430m.dsl

ssdt_i5_2450m.aml

ssdt_i5_2450m.dsl

ssdt_i5_2520m.aml

ssdt_i5_2520m.dsl

ssdt_i5_2540m.aml

ssdt_i5_2540m.dsl

ssdt_i7_2620m.aml

ssdt_i7_2620m.dsl

ssdt_i7_2630qm.aml

ssdt_i7_2630qm.dsl

ssdt_i7_2640m.aml

ssdt_i7_2640m.dsl

ssdt_i7_2670qm.aml

ssdt_i7_2670qm.dsl

ssdt_i7_2720qm.aml

ssdt_i7_2720qm.dsl

ssdt_i7_2760qm.aml

ssdt_i7_2760qm.dsl

ssdt_i7_2820qm.aml

ssdt_i7_2820qm.dsl

ssdt_i7_2860qm.aml

ssdt_i7_2860qm.dsl

ssdt_i7_2920qm.aml

ssdt_i7_2920qm.dsl

ssdt_i7_2960qm.aml

ssdt_i7_2960qm.dsl

Download

10.8.2?

Also, bajabronco, please update if you get any KPs and any related information from Console... I'm having some really random KPs and I'm currently spending time solving them somehow lol. Will update if I come across some tricks.

Removed some kexts (I forgot which ones exactly, but if you post a list here of all your loaded kexts, I can suggest exactly which ones I removed; also there was a kext inside the graphics kext that I removed) that came from the Apple default installation. No more KPs or system hangs.

System has been very stable for a day now with lots of testing. Will post again if there are any more updates.

Happy hackintoshing!

• 1 month later...

Wonderful guide. Can't believe there aren't more posts thanking you for this work.

Well, it helped me tons in moving to Mac os mountain lion.

Couple of notes:

1. had to repatch with stock AICPM.kext and install i5 SSDT otherwise it would KP (v570) (rest was same)

2. Had to copy the packages and mach_kernel manually because the script wouldn't work for some reason. The packages don't just take a few minutes, but more like 13-14 minutes.

3. could add that people should copy all downloaded and extracted zips to the usb, instead of just the installer folder to increase efficiency lol ;) but thats just me

4. After the mac installation is done, no need to reboot, just use the terminal from there. The 10-sec-reboot countdown halts till we are done copying through the terminal. (But I guess your method is def easier for people who are new :)

Otherwise, a great guide.

Seamlessly installs if one follows the directions closely. Very impressed with this guide. Never took less than 2 hours to install mac in my life before.

Thanks micred!

Hi There,

I've a just got a Lenovo P580 (Intel Core i5-3210M), they are in the same family as the b570/v570. Do you mind posting your work on step 1?

Hi There,

I've a just got a Lenovo P580 (Intel Core i5-3210M), they are in the same family as the b570/v570. Do you mind posting your work on step 1?

yeah, just replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with the stock 10.8.2 and then apply this patch - http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1003

Alternatively, you can also use multi b east to apply the power management patch (which is probably easier)

since you have a different motherboard (p580), I would be careful with using the b570/v570 dsdt(s) (maybe you can report back here if they work on your new p580)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Install fulfilled. Every thing work except trackpad. I tried many solutions : voodoo controller, different P2. No result. Could you please provide me some advices to solve this problem ? Thanks

No idea. You can try the PS /2 kext from iAtkos L2

And

It works = Remove S/E/ replace Applehda , ApplePSRcontroller IOACPIFamily , IOHIDFamily by these same four extension included in Iatkos/Library/Extensions

iAtkos L2

And add too in S/L/E VoodooPS2HDA and VoodooPS2Controller

After replace four extensions and install two news, launch onyx and repair permissions and optimize core system and user (kets_utility is not enough efficient).

In my case, I add too in S/L/E SleepEnabler from Pack_Lenovo_G570.

Now, my B570 works perfectly !

• 4 weeks later...

For those upgrading from Lion and having the CLLocationManager issues (e.g. Security & Privacy not working, Reminder app not working) you can reinstall these packages from the retail disc:

Essentials.pkg (may not be necessary, but I did it)

BaseSystemBinaries.pkg

They're in the SharedSupport folder of the InstallESD.dmg (IIRC). During the install of BaseSystemBinaries.pkg I had to temporarily remove AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext from S/L/E and put it back after (didn't bother running Kext utility when moving it out).

WARNING: after BaseSystemBinaries.pkg you need to reinstall Chameleon. I also had to copy over the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext too.

I would reference the post I found this information on, but I can no longer find it!

Just found out sound had gone - had to copy AppleHDA.kext back too.

Edited by Steve O

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have successfully followed this guide step by step and I've got Mountain Lion installed on my B570e, BUT the following still does NOT work:

1. Wireless Network Card not detected (maybe I don't have a Realtek Wireless Card?)
  2. Trackpad not working (solved using kexts from - http://www.osx86.net/view/3191-elantech_ps2_trackpad.html but no multi-touch support). For multi-touch support, the Elan Touchpad drivers from here work well - http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/

I even tried the steps as suggested by nicololo, but no luck. (I have a Lenovo b570e and maybe the trackpad is slightly different - it has the ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad)

Could someone with experience on this issue provide me the necessary kexts + any additional steps to get this working? I've tried searching the entire internet, but no luck on this.

Hi - Let me add my thanks for producing such a comprehensive and clearly – written guide.

Sadly, I've learned that my B570 won't run ML because it has the Pentium B940 CPU.  I can get it to boot to safe mode (but no audio).  

UPDATE: Swapped the CPU for the one in the OP and it's all working.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the 10.8.4 update and found that my sound and wifi didn't work, I just used the backed up 10.8.3 HD audio kext and sound worked again, but installing the previos i080211family would show networks but would not allow me to connect.  to get wifi working again I needed to use a new atheros 9285 kext to get it working - I used the following two kexts from here to fix the problem airport atheros 40 & ioath3kfirmware.

http://www.osx86.net/view/3908-atheros_ar5b195_fix_for_10.8.4.html