HDMI Audio on an XFX HD5570, 1GB DDR3

Lord Kamina

23 posts in this topic

I'm close to giving up on this thing now...

I got an XFX AMD Radeon HD-5570 1GB DDR3 ram. I'm using DSDT injection and GraphicsEnabler=No. I found none of the built-in personalities worked properly for me, so I made a three-port personality from scratch and patched it into Baboon. I've currently got all ports working (HDMI, DVI and VGA), with hot-plug (mostly) working.

But, I have been unable to get audio out of my HDMI. As of now, I am using VoodooHDA (I'll switch to AppleHDA eventually) because I want to isolate the problem as much as possible. Voodoo shows me the HDMI device in the audio outputs but no sound comes through it. With my sense-id correctly (0x5) and Uniphy2 for that port I've tried all combinations of links and encoders (DIG5 Link A, DIG5 Dual Link, Dig 6 Link B) and all of them give me video out properly, none of them has audio. I've also tried setting the "Features" byte to both 01 and 71 (as I've seen on different personalities) and the Control Flag I've tried at 0x200 and 0x204, as per different personalities And what's generally known around the net (bcc9 and mucha's threads among others)

Has anybody been more successful at this than I? Does anybody have a similar card or can anyone here maybe offer some insight as to what I could be missing?

The edit is done correctly. The issue is that you are using VoodooHDA instead of AppleHDA. Remove VoodooHDA from S/L/E and install the kext attached then reboot. Post a new IOreg after restart.

Will do right away. In advance, though... I was using AppleHDA at first and switched to Voodoo because AppleHDA wouldn't even show me "HDMI" in the sound outputs.

P.S. Yours is a Lion version, no? Should I have been using that instead of the vanilla 10.8.2 version?

Ok, there it is.

appleHDA_Tiamat.ioreg.zip

Edited by Lord Kamina

Will try that. I considered having to edit AppleHDA but Toleda's tutorial said with my device id (60 aa I think?) it was probably not needed. Then again I got to thinking maybe I should try doing the whole shebang of adding it to the HDAPlatform and all that. (haven't gotten around to that yet though, university is a {censored} this week)

On that DSDT I see you changed the HDEF layout (BTW I was using 28 before, changed it to 1 to properly test the HDMI audio) and added gfx-onboard to HDEF, anything else?

You have ALC887 correct?

Install this kext for onboard audio.

Yes, ALC887. Haven't really done anything to get that working though (yet). I just got my pin config and pathmaps the other day but haven't trubleshooted it at all.

Okay, this one gave me audio devices in the system preferences but none of my ports were actually working.

Still, it's definitely an improvement over getting nothing in there, I guess. (also, you can see some Applehdastreams in the IOReg)

I suppose I'd have to go over the pin-config with the kext you sent now? (Also, out of curiosity, what was changed in it, other than a patched binary?)

P.S. This one did not show HDMI either. Only "digital out" but that should be the on-board SPDIF out, no?

applehda2_Tiamat.ioreg.zip

The two layouts for that AppleHDA are:

3 Pin:

0x1F, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00

6 Pin:

0x77, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

Only "digital out" but that should be the on-board SPDIF out, no?

It is showing the Apple name. It is only cosmetic...

The two layouts for that AppleHDA are:

3 Pin:

0x1F, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00

6 Pin:

0x77, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

I'll try the other layout tomorrow and report back.

Only "digital out" but that should be the on-board SPDIF out, no?

It is showing the Apple name. It is only cosmetic...

I know, what I meant is... there's no chance that was actually HDMI, right? I didn't test that option because I don't really have the S/PDIF add-on bracket.

Status update: I tried the 0887 layout and I still cannot get audio out of any port (they still show on my devices, mind you.) Additionally, I did one further modification to your DSDT edit: In the HDEF section you'd added hda-gfx: onboard-2, I corrected that to onboard-1 and while I still don't get audio, the TV is now shown on the devices selection (and identified correctly as SAMSUNG TV)

I would say this definitely narrows it down to two separate problems. On one side I gotta troubleshoot/review the on-board layout you posted and separate from that, it's becoming clear that the problem with the HDMI audio is on the side of the GFX card itself or the framebuffer configuration.

Anyway, I feel we're actually making progress here.

P.S. New IOReg.

dsdt_onboard-1_Tiamat.ioreg.zip

... it appears the on-board audio has "died.", I use the quotes because I have experienced similar issues with my Ethernet (which are so far always fixed by resetting the CMOS and/or leaving the rig disconnected from the AC for a while, hoping this is the case with the audio too)

If not, I guess I'll have to RMA it. Have you heard about something like this ever happening with Asus boards?