ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 For All in one Desktop.

Acro_Design

21 posts in this topic

Acro here,

Hello my friends i am busy working on another build, one just isn't enough :P. This time its my Dell inspiron 2310 (iMac clone) well thats the plan. There are several things i am struggling to decide what to assign for this build. Smbios is a headache, is it a laptop? mac mini maybe or mac pro. i don't know and i would love some advice on that too, but my main issue for today is that i am trying to get my Framebuffer personalities correct, currently its got multiple personalities *he shrugs* Eulemur seems to boot into lion installer with both iMac11,3 and mac pro 3.1, great! Apart from the multiple part i made a bad joke about before, the screen displays 8 duplicates of the same screen. mouse works and i could install it in very glitchy looking crazy mode, but its better then Hoolock which gave me disco flash lots of colours mode. :D

What i would like to know is how to not do this blindfolded, I have linux and a brain i can work out the correct frame buffer or patched or indeed how to make one (but the latter is pushing my skills way over what I'm comfortable with) But i can only work it out with your help.

On my linux host i have a 10.6.7 Virtual machine on the dell so that may be helpful to get my device ID and Vendor? or does a virtual machine do something special?

So yeah any thoughts so far?

AMD_Mobility_Radeon_HD_3400_03.jpg

I know its just a picture but it helps me think.

I think all Mobility 5470s have 68E0 as the device ID and 1002 as the vendor ID. Virtual machines emulate their own graphics chip, not the one your machine actually has, so you can't really get info from them. I would like to help, but unfortunately my laptop has switchable graphics with Intel HD Graphics that do not work OS X. Have you tried AtiConfig=Bulrushes?

Great well thats what i thought, my vm works but not my graphics card, go figure.

Your so lucky, i can't have switchable graphics and i don't really want to play around with my bios because last time a patched one (granted it did work) but it was very very scary. I will try Shrike next.

Thanks man, i forgot why i might need a device ID did i intend to add it into a kext? is that whats normally done? i have forgotten.

http://olarila.com/f....php?f=18&t=736 Thats a good guide about a similar graphics card but i have a headache and i just can't work it out.

Bulrushes i got black screen, so that didn't work. :(. should my smbios choice effect the result? I'm happy with iMac. I am just refreezing my knowledge of the subject.

Hey i know this isn't helpful or maybe it is, in linux it uses manhattan.

Resaults are as follows.

Vervet X Disco mode

Douc X Disco mode

Langur X Disco mode

Uakari X possible work around maybe?

Zonalis X Disco mode

Alouatta X Disco mode

Hoolock X Disco mode

Baboon X best looking glitchy 8 screens on one, clearly readable, but still screwed.

Eulemur X possible work around maybe?

Galago X Disco mode

Colobus X Disco mode

Mangabey X Disco mode

Nomascus Boot Hang

Orangutan X Disco Boot

Baboon looks like the best one, i just need to stop it making 8 duplicates of the same screen, perhaps its the resolution. The good news is i saw in system profiler that the graphics card was detected in the installer. however the menu bar was opaque white. so what does that mean? Also its important to note that none of these used the kexts listed previously, because a member said that it was not required. i will try with the kexts next.

Ok kexts did nothing, so its safe to assume that the kexts already worked. Changing resolution also did nothing. Im stumped.

Any Ideas anyone?

Hey Acro. :)

EDID is a big one, but...you don't need QE/CI for the installer. Just boot with GraphicsEnabler=No, if that doesn't work remove the ATi kexts from S/L/E. Any further GFX issues can be settled after installing. ;)

The res will be 1024x768, but only in the installer; it should be A-OK for post-install.

hi

one question u have intel hd 3000 ? if so disable it in bios

only use the ati card, another thing series 5xxx mobile, only a few work without EDID

to boot the installer like previous post say, just remove the ati5000controller from the installer

GraphicsEnabler=No

good hack

Thank you this is really useful information, I'm really glad to have your help once more, all of you have been great, i will see if the hd3000 kicks in as i had hoped if i disable my card graphics, then once installed i will look at artur-pts excellent information topic that i mentioned before.

Some things about integrated graphics...

It looks like you don't have them. If you did, then you wouldn't even be able to boot OS X with the ATi card working properly (speaking from experience here). Another thing, most computers with the 5470M have a first-gen Intel Core processor, which have Intel HD Graphics (non 3000).

Another thing about the installer: it does not include too many video kexts. This even happens on a Retina MacBook Pro (not with InstallESD, but with BaseSystem+Packages). And like artur-pt and PookyMacMan said, QE/CI in the installer isn't required.

Well actually it did boot and installed with kexts deleted from the installer. TheRacerMaster if you are correct, then i must have a semi working card? it looks terrible in 1024x768, :huh: What should i do next? add the kexts back in and then find out what EDID does/is?

Hm...I don't think this would be anything Mac OS related. Is the HDD OK? Any bad blocks?

Try unplugging it from power, pressing the power button, and then booting again. That should reset CMOS, and hopefully fix the issue.

• Like 1

Yes that did the trick thanks pookymac that has saved me from getting into trouble with the other half. I have booted it since and its fine. EDID is the next step. I have found out what it is via weki and now agree that its the next step. so is this a kext edit or a DSDT edit? I have looked at a DSDT and now realise that it contains all the information about my device and how the Smbios is interacting with it? so I must have the wrong EDID data and should now fix it, by perhaps looking up the correct EDID data in linux?

Usually EDID data is inserted as an EFI string in org.chameleon.boot.plist (or com.apple). There are guides around the 'net for building an EFI string. :) If you build a successful EFI string, you should disable GraphicsEnabler.

Edit: There actually is another way that I would recommend over EFI string, forgot that you had ATi which doesn't work as well with an EFI string. Try this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208410

Oh, and confirm that you have QE/CI: if you have a semi-transparent menu bar, and if DVD Player works, you have QE/CI; otherwise we'll have to enable QE/CI before the EDID.

Try the following: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=261782 Supposedly that should work...

Also this for info: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=736

I got both links after googling mobility radeon 5470 qe/ci :)

Booted to black screen after adding those kexts and hoolock personality, however I'm fairly sure it booted because I could turn it off from the io button. Hmmm.

Going to try and get EDID sorted before adding the kexts, it wont work until i add the kexts and that should stop the black screen.

The EDID tools suggested in the guide cant be download broken links. :(

I found another tool that looks like it did the job, i will upload the dump. can someone point out if its ok to use?

DELB123.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...