App Store Sign in Zenbook Prime (no internal ethernet).. Help

nhart12

14 posts in this topic

I am hoping someone knows of a solution.. I have searched the internet for hours trying to sign into the app store but it just keeps giving me the ever so informative error "an unknown error occurred". I have tried multiple solutions to the problem Ive found on this forum and just searching the internet. From what I understand the internal ethernet card has to be configured as en0.. but since i have to internal ethernet I am using a USB Ethernet Dongle. I have tried deleting the file NetworkInterfaces.plist countless times. Tried setting Ethernet builtin at boot in chameleon wizard, but no matter what the app store wont let me sign in using the usb ethernet.

Here is the NetworkInterfaces.plis if this helps.. As you can see I dont have wifi set up because intel centrino isnt supported so I have a atheros chip on the way.

thanks

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Interfaces</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

nOvoB5mK

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/EHC1@1D/AppleUSBEHCI/AX88772B@1d120000/AppleUSBEthernet/en0</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceInfo</key>

<dict>

<key>USB Product Name</key>

<string>AX88772B</string>

<key>UserDefinedName</key>

<string>USB Ethernet</string>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>32299</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>2965</integer>

</dict>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>Ethernet</string>

</dict>

</array>

<key>Model</key>

<string>MacBookAir5,2</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Ya I've tried this before too. EFI-studio doesn't work since i don't have an internal ethernet port and only a usb-ethernet dongle. The Macbook air doesnt have an internal ethernet port either so I dont know why this is a problem.

I just fixed this problem today because i bought a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter but OSX wouldn't recognize it as built-in. However, EFI Studio actually worked and generated a hex string that i put in the device properties in org.chameleon.boot.plist. Not sure why EFI Studio didn't work for you. Make sure the dongle is plugged in, network cable plugged into dongle, valid IP address, then run EFI Studio and try to generate an EFI string for the network.

try this fix:

Add this string to org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>SystemId</key>

<string>**</string>

Replace the ** with the key generated from this site

by Giofrida

Thanks for the suggestion but it didnt seem to work..

I just fixed this problem today because i bought a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter but OSX wouldn't recognize it as built-in. However, EFI Studio actually worked and generated a hex string that i put in the device properties in org.chameleon.boot.plist. Not sure why EFI Studio didn't work for you. Make sure the dongle is plugged in, network cable plugged into dongle, valid IP address, then run EFI Studio and try to generate an EFI string for the network.

What version of EFI studio? It doesn't generate anything for ethernet for me..

• 6 months later...

I'm still having this issue. Seems like I have tried everything. The only way to get the app store working is to swap out my internal wifi card. The problem with this is that my wifi card uses non-standard antennas. So either I have bad signal, or I have no app store.

I cannot connect with USB ethernet or wifi. As stated above it is an ultrabook, so there is no onboard etherenet nic.

Is there anyway to spoof an ethernet port and MAC address to get this to work?

Yes i have tried that without any luck, mine works when I have a supported wifi card.. just the signal is terrible and I am not willing to run new antennas in my laptop. So i was wondering if there was a way to sign in using only USB internet devices...

My answer is still the same. They sell USB ethernet dongles for use on MacBook Airs, so in theory with MacBook Air smbios, wifi showing as built-in and en0 and then USB ethernet dongle showing as NOT built-in and en1, should work for you to use the ethernet to log in. You'll need working wifi card installed, but won't need to use it.

Since your plist in post #1 was from before you got your Atheros wifi, if you'd like to upload current version I can edit it for you if needed.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...