6 replies to this topic

topsub

topsub

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Hey Guys,

So i have talked to a CNC shop about working with me to help me make a mount system. I ordered an 8 inch wide x 14 inch piece that should spam from bottom to top just below the CD drive. I also ordered some plastic right angles that should mount the piece to the case.

I am going to look at either cutting out 2x120mm or 2x140mm fan holes. I will take pictures once i get this in and make some templates.

Looking for thoughts or feedback.

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
Look for a 240mm radiator stand, use this to mount 2x120mm fans.
They are made from aluminium and retail for about £10 on ebay.

topsub

topsub

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
How would you go about mounting that? Drilling into the case? Glue?

EDIT: I'm having hard time trying to find these things.. Any suggestions?

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
JB weld either directly to the inside of the case or using the original mobo standoffs

nufanec

nufanec

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I mounted two 140mm fans to the front of my G5 mod with some 3M double sided adhesive tape. I think this is the stuff I used (my work had some that I "borrowed" a length of). Just a bit on each corner of a fan stuck it nice and tight to the front of the case, and as it's about 1mm thick it dampens any noise/vibration too. I'll take a pic later.

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 629 posts
It's certainly feasible to make and use a plexi mount for front fans in the G5.

Here are some links to pictures of a fan mount system that I laser cut for a customer for the G5 recently mounting a pair of 140mm fans, the G5 speaker and a circuit board:

Attached File  7639681636_37da1a8540_b.jpg   163.55KB   123 downloads

Attached File  7639682888_fe502a9d43_b.jpg   198.73KB   181 downloads

Attached File  7639684042_5e5d323c15_b.jpg   252.42KB   172 downloads

If you are interested in laser cutting something similar then let me know by emailing me at info@thelaserhive.com - prices for this sort of thing can work out at around £20 plus £5 postage for UK / $30 plus $10 to US/Canada.

Feel free to visit my website www.thelaserhive.com which has a number of G4/ G5 products available now and in the pipeline.

nickjf20

nickjf20

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
The great thing about the design above is it doesn't require any mounting at all as it fits perfectly between the original standoffs and a row of bolts on the bottom of the case

In case you were wondering, it's all connected up to a SATA power connector and the chime is played whenever the power is cycled

minihack/thelaserhive has been very helpful all the way through and I can thoroughly recommend his services

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy