Dell Inspiron 17R Notebook (Inspiron 7720) - Can run Mac OS X

Coasterghost

200 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

Hi Lejenk,

i am now on Mavericks and the Webcam doesn't work. My System shows a Camera maybe the stock camera from apple and the usb hd webcam which kext we used. I can't fix the double cameras. You testet Mavericks beta, did you have an idea what i can do?? USB Ports working 2.0 Sound an Graphics too, HD4000 shows 1024MB :-) 

I too installed mavericks. My built in camera works, sleep works but then OSX hangs, USB3 is native and usb2 products seem to all work, 4000 graphics showing 1024mb, no ethernet nor wifi (no drivers yet for my wifi dongle), sound works with modified Apple HDA and Apple CPU..... needs to be modified before third reboot otherwise kernel panic. 

I am going to start again and install items only as I need them. I went all out and installed most things because they were there to be installed. I shall keep you posted.

I have 17R laptop SE

I created myhack installation using myhack utilty and installed Mavericks to USB after downloading from app store.

I have installed Mavericks but no network or accelerated graphics and have tried a couple kexts and injecting but no luck.

Can the guys who have the same laptop and mavericks post some files I could try?

I tried some DSDT posted here but none worked?

Regarding the network when I first installed it showed up under Ethernet but later after trying to setup everything else I went back there and it was missing and cant add it again?

Copy from your S/L/E the IONetworkingFamily.kext to your desktop. Get Lejenk´s package for 10 8 and copy over from his IONetworkingFamily.kext the plugin AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext to your desktop. Show Papackage Content of your original ION..... and copy the AppleRTL..... to plugins. Then install your new IONet..... with your preferred Kext Utility to S/L/E and repair permissions. Set in Chameleon EthernetBulitIn to Yes and reboot with flags -f -v.

After reboot follow the further instructions of Lejenk, to get Ethernet working. You have set it to manually.

Have fun.

I followed this guide and have gotten everything I need except Accelerated Graphics?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286552-guidedell-inspirion-17r-se-7720-installation-guide/

I already had installed Mavericks installled to HDD so didnt follow his usb guide.

Are there IntelHD4000 kexts I need to download somewhere?

If i open the chameleon wizard and add GraphicsEnabler=Yes

The on reboot it show Nvidia GT 650M 0 MB

If you have the Optimus enabled variant of SE 7720, then you should have for QE/CI look at the guide and packages here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286552-guidedell-inspirion-17r-se-7720-installation-guide/ Get the patch for HD4000 there and look for the set IG Platform. You can try to add it in Chameleon options.

For 3d variant I could not find a solution til now.

Have fun.

Does it make a difference if my smbios says MacBookPro10,1, I see after patching AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext with aifc.sh at the bottom after it has completed it says change Mac Model to MacBookPro8,3?

I think, that you have to configure your ethernet again and if it is working, hit the close button.

For HD4000 are only the vanilla kexts needed. Please do not download other kexts.

Which IG platform ID have you chosen?

Have fun.

Yip 7720 SE 3D

Got Ethernet working again with install from Realtek website, everything else is fine, just no sign of Intel HD4000

If I disable check nvidia boot under Pandora, it shows boots into desktop, under system shows 7mb video memory.

Should I try other IG-platforms ids?

I have followed and completed this guide many times but still cant get HD4000 to show  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286552-guidedell-inspirion-17r-se-7720-installation-guide/

I got Network running but can have to select 10baseT/UTP , it connects but there are a couple intermittent timeouts.

If I try any of the other Speed settings It just doesnt connect at all.

It's using /system/library/extenstions/ionetworkingfamily.kext/contents/plugins/applertl8169ethernet.kext (somehow this file says created in 2011)

It is at this time a nogo to get the GT 650m with QE/CI working with NVDAResman.kext loaded. This is because of the ACPI Tables of the unified bios for Optimus and 3D Variant of the SE7720. The 3D version must be with its GFX hardware directly connected to LVDS, HDMI and VGA port, because Optimus can not handle "3D with 120 hz" displays.

On the windows side, there is a variant in the ACPI Tables, that dedects the 3D version. Therefore there is no entry for the HD4000 in device manager. But if you extract the ACPI Tables with Aida64 on Win, you find in the DSDT file all routines for the HD4000, which against our intentions kick out the Nvidia drivers. (nearly everytime yellow flash at boot before desktop gets loaded) I could  even not manage to boot with NVDAResmen.kext in S/L/E of hd install or usb installer.

I have removed all methods for the HD4000 (IGPU) in the DSDT.aml. But one get them, because of Bios automatically loading them, back by booting. On an Edge E300 I can switch in Bios between internal  and switchable gfx. If switched to internal gfx the removed peg0 part of DSDT.aml is not automatically loaded back by booting into system. But there is no option for switching the gfx in this way in the bios of SE7720 without make them visible by unlocking bios options in a mod.

A possible way to solve our problem, could be, to use an unlocked Bios and switch the GFX output to pegp there. But I could not find any success report of flashing a moded, unlocked bios on a SE7720 with Core i7 3630qm cpu. Til now they all got by oneself unreversable bricked.

The second way could be the bootloader, which must completely restrict the loading of all ACPI tables on boottime. Instead of the Bios tables the cleaned up own tables has to be forced to load for booting. I for myself be not enough skilled to mod a bootloadeer in this way.

I attach for you a DSDT.aml file with removed IGPU methods. (Warning and remarks don´t matter) Look in it before you boot with it and after you have booted with it, by extracting a new DSDT.aml . The before removed IGPU methods are (magically caused by bios  :( ) in it  back again.

Choosing an IG Platform  for getting QE/CI working is quite useless, because the full hardware for IGPU support is not placed in the 3D Variant. IGPU is only sleeping in the CPU and causing, because of the unified bios for Optimus and 3D Variant of SE7720, our issues, which seem to be at this time unresolveable. :( :( :(

Nevertheless have fun with further Hackintoshing. :)

PS: Ethernet issues can be easy resolved by buying a fully by OSX supported usb to ethernet converter. They are not very expensive. I am planning to buy one by myself, if GT 650m could be made working in OSX

DSDT-SE7720-3D-try.aml.zip

Ok, tried your DSDT.aml and it shows under About This Mac:

GeForce GT 650M, 3072 MB after first reboot

OOps, Vram size is wrong: You have to correct it from to:

“VRAM,totalsize”,

Buffer (0×04)

{

0×00, 0×00, 0×00, 0xc0 /3 GB

},

“VRAM,totalsize”,

Buffer (0×04)

{

0×00, 0×00, 0×00, 0x80 // 2 GB

},

It would be nevertheless a wonder for me, if you can boot with NVDAResman.kext loaded and get translucend menuebar. Then I have something done wrong til now. B)

Have fun.

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-Dell-Inspiron-17r-SE-7720-Unlocked-Bios?page=6

I have added NVDAResman.kext using kext utility and rebooted, dont think it loaded..............so no hackintosh :(

If I want more than 7mb Graphics I need to install it in vmware and then it's limited to 128mb and iMessage doesnt work in vmware.

Til now all SE7720 with i7 3630qm with the moded versions before A16 bios have got unreverisble bricked. If you are brave enough...

But I suggest to for sure not risk a brick, if you have an i7 3630qm cpu.

If you have got all Nvidia and Geforce kexts loaded, then you should be able to switch to a translucend menuebar, run Chess, DVD player and booth tests Cinebench 11.5.

Have fun.

If the 7720 3D edition cant let OSX access it's HD4000 gpu, what does OSX use to show us the desktop at the moment and list at 7mb video memory?

So at the moment there is NO way I can speed things up graphically, even if I don't get QC etc.

The GT 650m in VESA mode (The same mode it starts on Win without installed drivers). The OSX drivers are kicked out by the ACPI methods in the tables of bios, which can at this time not be fully blocked from loading.

To proof this, you can try my suggestion from post #192.

You should set in the org.chameleon.Boot. plist the key:

<key>DropSSDT</key>
    <string>Yes</string>

Then reboot with my DSDT.aml, which I have uploaded with removed routines for IGPU, with flags " -f -v ",  placed in your Extra folder. After reaching the desktop start DSDT Editor and extract the DSDT.aml with it.

Comparing the actually extracted DSDT.aml with my DSDT. aml file, you will find the removed methods for the IGPU again.

On my Lenovo Edge I have removed the medthods for PEG0. If I boot it with in bios to internal switched graphics, they were not loaded addionally loaded.

But the SE7720 3D has in the bios no option to switch the gfx (In our case, prefered in any form to use only the PCIe gfx, the GT 650m). There is only one unified bios  from Dell for the SE7720 variant with Optimus and that with 3D. Their mainboards on the hardware side must be for sure different.

On the Optimus system the gfx output of the GT 650m is send over the framebuffer of the HD4000, which is connected to the Display, to this.

On the 3D variant LVDS and the other two GFX ports are, because of Optimus can not handle stereoskopic gfx, direct connected to them.

On the windows side all bios routines are working together with the drivers. In the Win device manager, gfx part, you can not find a device related with HD4000. But the HD4000 shows up with all its methods in the on Win extracted ACPI Tables.

As I have written before in post #192, there must be a way to block the ACPI methods for the IGPU restrictively from loading and kicking out the kexts for the GT 650m on OSX.

This could work with an unlocked bios, which is save to use with the Core i7 3630qm cpu, or with a bootloader, that can retrictively block all ACPI tables of the bios and allow to load modified ones with removed methods for the device IGPU.

In my humble opinion this should be the main problem on newer laptops of all vendors, which are supporting variants for Optimus and 3D, or have no Optimus on some models without 3D and a variant with Optimus support, on the same series and only one unified bios for all models.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

Is there any news here? Did anybody successfully run the nvidia gt650 graphics finally? I didn't find any solution for 10Mbps ethernet of no line-in but maybe someone has figure out any solution for that? Thx in advance for any info.