Thoughts about Mountain Lion with Atom (yes, Atom)

Mountain Lion Atom Vanilla Kernel Patched kernel netbook

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
The patched kernel works good in my case, but I've a problem with my ION2.
It has always worked well in SL and Lion with GraphicsEnabler or with a DSDT injection, but now in ML I get black screen. Deleting NV50HAL.kext and using the -x flag I can boot but without QE/CI.

Any idea?

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Try NVEnabler

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 136 posts
If anyone here hangs out in the my hack irc, message me there if you'd like to do a bit of testing.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
Hi meklort!

Glad to help you :)

Attached File  Schermata 08-2456147 alle 21.26.29.png   688.11KB   178 downloads

Unfortunately I have to use the NullCPU otherwise I get kernel panics differently from SL and L.
In Snow Leopard using the Chameleon's functions (Generate and Pstates Cstates) I'm able to load the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, so I'm not forced to use the SleepEnabler.

I hope it can be fixed

mtek

mtek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I also use nullcpu next on my Asus 1201n install both in Lion and Mountain Lion - it seems to run quite happily with it...

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
10.8.0 kernel patched by meklort

A new improved version could be available in the future.

Attached File  mach_kernel_Atom 10.8.0.zip   3.11MB   267 downloads

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
We can't stop today :P

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1843414

nasseau

nasseau

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Thank you so much :)

mtek

mtek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks a lot for your support for our precious little wonder Atom! :)

JackTaylor101

JackTaylor101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I have an Atom N230 processor and when I use this kernel it just reboots after chameleon loading. Can someone help? I have no idea on what to do.

stefano.85

stefano.85

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I have an Atom N230 processor and when I use this kernel it just reboots after chameleon loading. Can someone help? I have no idea on what to do.

same here with an atom n330 (asrock ion 330 pro)... with snow leopard 10.6.8 (with patched kernel) i never had this problem
I've tried to disable HT but without success...

JackTaylor101

JackTaylor101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Right I got it to boot. But when it boots into the installer it says that Mountain Lion cannot be installed because it's not compatible with my computer. I don't know what to do next.

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,991 posts
@ Jack Emery

what's your smbios ?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
I installed Mountain Lion to an external 16gb thumb drive with osx86.net atom kernel. It's slow like a turtle, but works enough for me to try it and decide if it's worth to upgrade from my nice and stable lion system, or even to dispose of some 40 gb of my netbook hard disk to make another partition for ML, in addition to my lion and win7 partitions. This method gives me the possibility to try it also in other notebooks and desktop computers, if the opportunity presents itself.

Currently, i'm not impressed. Take note that i'm not reviewing the speed of the new os, since its performance is limited by the fact it's running on an usb device. But, seriously, it's lion with new paints. However i must confess that my reviewing capability is severely crippled in at least one aspect: mountain lion purposedly relies heavily on cloud features, and i cannot access iCloud in ML, as well as in lion. As for lion, i always thought i could live without it. But it's really affecting my user experience in ml, leaving it as just a lion update with controversial tweaks, at least from my point of view. Without iCloud, it's really not worth to "upgrade" (in fact, update).

So, has anyone managed to set iCloud with a patched atom kernel? It's possible? Could anyone teach me how to do it, if it's possible? Because there was a time, shortly after i installed lion, that i did a lot of research on this subject and tried a lot of methods to get iCloud set, with no avail. Other apple id features, like the app and itunes stores, otherwise always worked very well for me.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,536 posts
iCloud seems working ...
Are you using the EthernetBuiltIn and a right smbios.plist?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Yes! As i said before, the App Store and iTunes store both work, and both require ethernet built-in. I have a smbios also, with a supposedly working serial, made by Champlist. Therefore, what could be wrong? Should i try a different smbios? A different app to make it? Someone told me of a method of copying info from his real mac that did the trick for him...

Anyway, here's my smbios:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Copyright</key>
<string>SMBios by 7ender @ InMac.org Created with Champlist.app</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBA41.88Z.0077.B08.1109011050</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-C08A6BB70A942AC2</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Air</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookAir4,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>RM2GJY09DRHF</string>
</dict>
</plist>

And here's my chameleon.org.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>custom</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>npci</key>
<string>0x2000</string>
</dict>

If you're seeing something that shouldn't be there, either in this or the other, please tell me, as well as something that should be there but is missing...

Curiously, even without managing to set up iCloud and the cloud apps on themselves, when i logged in gmail for the first time on safari, it set my gmail account (not my apple ID) as a messages, notes, contacts and calendar account for me automatically. No success with FaceTime and Game Center though; this is quite frustrating.

Update: i did set up my apple id as an account for Game Center. Now, i have to solve FaceTime and iCloud proper.

yellowviolent

yellowviolent

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I believe Ethernet BSD Device Name needs to be set to en0 in order for FaceTime, iCloud, App Store, etc to work. Mine was set to en1 and my Wi-Fi was set to en0, so I had to uninstall kexts for Ethernet and Wi-Fi, reboot, then install Ethernet first, reboot, and then install Wi-Fi in order to set them to the correct order. You can check in System Information how your system is currently configured.

I am using MacBookPro5,5 smbios btw.

Attached Files

Edited by yellowviolent, 17 August 2012 - 02:20 AM.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Thank you for answer, yellow!

I have it correctly set, and the AppStore and the iTunes store both work very well for me. But iCloud and FaceTime, no success at all.

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
Your serial must be valid and must match your system identifier.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Thank you, James!

My serial was built with Champlist app. I thought serials built with this program were always valid. What did you want to say with match my system identifier? Would you please explain how to do it? Thank you a lot!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mountain Lion, Atom, Vanilla Kernel, Patched kernel, netbook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy