Thoughts about Mountain Lion with Atom (yes, Atom)

120 posts in this topic

I have an Atom N230 processor and when I use this kernel it just reboots after chameleon loading. Can someone help? I have no idea on what to do.

same here with an atom n330 (asrock ion 330 pro)... with snow leopard 10.6.8 (with patched kernel) i never had this problem

I've tried to disable HT but without success...

I installed Mountain Lion to an external 16gb thumb drive with osx86.net atom kernel. It's slow like a turtle, but works enough for me to try it and decide if it's worth to upgrade from my nice and stable lion system, or even to dispose of some 40 gb of my netbook hard disk to make another partition for ML, in addition to my lion and win7 partitions. This method gives me the possibility to try it also in other notebooks and desktop computers, if the opportunity presents itself.

Currently, i'm not impressed. Take note that i'm not reviewing the speed of the new os, since its performance is limited by the fact it's running on an usb device. But, seriously, it's lion with new paints. However i must confess that my reviewing capability is severely crippled in at least one aspect: mountain lion purposedly relies heavily on cloud features, and i cannot access iCloud in ML, as well as in lion. As for lion, i always thought i could live without it. But it's really affecting my user experience in ml, leaving it as just a lion update with controversial tweaks, at least from my point of view. Without iCloud, it's really not worth to "upgrade" (in fact, update).

So, has anyone managed to set iCloud with a patched atom kernel? It's possible? Could anyone teach me how to do it, if it's possible? Because there was a time, shortly after i installed lion, that i did a lot of research on this subject and tried a lot of methods to get iCloud set, with no avail. Other apple id features, like the app and itunes stores, otherwise always worked very well for me.

Yes! As i said before, the App Store and iTunes store both work, and both require ethernet built-in. I have a smbios also, with a supposedly working serial, made by Champlist. Therefore, what could be wrong? Should i try a different smbios? A different app to make it? Someone told me of a method of copying info from his real mac that did the trick for him...

Anyway, here's my smbios:

Copyright

SMBios by 7ender @ InMac.org Created with Champlist.app

SMbiosvendor

Apple Inc.

SMbiosversion

MBA41.88Z.0077.B08.1109011050

SMboardproduct

Mac-C08A6BB70A942AC2

SMfamily

MacBook Air

SMproductname

MacBookAir4,1

SMserial

RM2GJY09DRHF

And here's my chameleon.org.plist:

Boot Graphics

Yes

Default Partition

hd(0,3)

EthernetBuiltIn

Yes

GenerateCStates

Yes

GeneratePStates

Yes

GraphicsEnabler

Yes

Kernel

custom

Kernel Flags

Quiet Boot

No

Timeout

UseKernelCache

No

npci

0x2000

If you're seeing something that shouldn't be there, either in this or the other, please tell me, as well as something that should be there but is missing...

Curiously, even without managing to set up iCloud and the cloud apps on themselves, when i logged in gmail for the first time on safari, it set my gmail account (not my apple ID) as a messages, notes, contacts and calendar account for me automatically. No success with FaceTime and Game Center though; this is quite frustrating.

Update: i did set up my apple id as an account for Game Center. Now, i have to solve FaceTime and iCloud proper.

I believe Ethernet BSD Device Name needs to be set to en0 in order for FaceTime, iCloud, App Store, etc to work. Mine was set to en1 and my Wi-Fi was set to en0, so I had to uninstall kexts for Ethernet and Wi-Fi, reboot, then install Ethernet first, reboot, and then install Wi-Fi in order to set them to the correct order. You can check in System Information how your system is currently configured.

I am using MacBookPro5,5 smbios btw.

post-655741-0-54877300-1345169887_thumb.jpg

Edited by yellowviolent
  • Like 2

Basically if you are identifying yourself as a MacPro5,1 you need a valid MacPro5,1 serial number.

Just use Chameleon Wizard, this should generate a serial for the selected system identifier.

So I finally got Mountain Lion installed on my N230.

Although, I'm pretty disappointed about the graphics. Is there anyway to enable Quartz Extreme?

CPU Atom N230 1.6 Ghz 2 treads

Intel GMA945G (GMA950 Graphics)

ACL882 Audio

RTL8169 Raeltek Ethernet

Sansung 1GB 1066 Memory

HP 160GB Hard disk

Although, I'm pretty disappointed about the graphics. Is there anyway to enable Quartz Extreme?

CPU Atom N230 1.6 Ghz 2 treads

ACL882 Audio

RTL8169 Raeltek Ethernet

Sansung 1GB 1066 Memory

HP 160GB Hard disk

Graphicsenabler=yes on the chameleon bootloader doesn't work?

Basically if you are identifying yourself as a MacPro5,1 you need a valid MacPro5,1 serial number.

Just use Chameleon Wizard, this should generate a serial for the selected system identifier.

First of all, James, thank you for being so helpful. About what you said, that's the problem: it's exactly the way Champlist makes the serial when it creates the smbios. Basically, i chose what will be the id of my system (in this case, a macbook air 4,1) and it generates the serial.

As i said, its quite frustrating because i (apparently) am doing everything like it shoud be and yet can't set up iCloud in my computer. Until recently, i thought it was because the fact i use a patched kernel, since i use atom, and that kind of gave peace of mind (ïf i can't have it anyway, why bother?"). But now i know other atom users are making their way to iCloud, so the frustration came up again.

Maybe there is some flaw in Champlist, and i will surely try Cham Wizard (could you please provide directions to the latest version?) before giving up. Here's what system report tells about my system:

525] Model Name: MacBook Air

525] Model Identifier: MacBookAir4,1

525] Processor Name: Intel Core Solo

525] Processor Speed: 1.67 GHz

525] Number of Processors: 1

525] Total Number of Cores: 1

525] L2 Cache: 512 KB

525] Memory: 2 GB

525] Bus Speed: 667 MHz

525] Boot ROM Version: MBA41.0077.B08

525] SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

525] Serial Number (system): RM2GJY09DRHF

525] Hardware UUID: 5CE51B50-727D-5937-9E70-AD53AAB43790

Another question to everyone, on a totally diferent subject: i formatted my HD as pure GPT. Is it possible to use ML's boot camp assistant (does it have it, right?) to install windows 7 or windows 8 on my computer?

Another question to everyone, on a totally diferent subject: i formatted my HD as pure GPT. Is it possible to use ML's boot camp assistant (does it have it, right?) to install windows 7 or windows 8 on my computer?

I just try something crazy, the modbin patched version of boot camp assistant for Snow Leopard and watch this :

modbin patched boot camp assistant on ML.png

It's therefore possible to start the wizard and configure the installation.

Don't expect anyway that Boot Camp will manage your boot, it is only to proceed with partitioning and the launch of the Windows installation.

The utility is limited to its use on a disk with a GUID partition table but you can try to use it on a MBR partition (I'm on one of this).

Similarly, the wizard removes the partition "EFI" at runtime (need to confirm it on ML). If you have placed your Kext and other configuration files, it is time to put them somewhere more on.

This version is experimental, it is possible that you let your data. So please make a backup before!

on Snow Leopard the utiliaire only worked in 32bit, so you should check 32bit run in the info file if it wouldn't start. But on ML, the wizard is recognized by default in 32bit !

you only have to try it! Attention, is at your own risk!!!

• Like 1

Seems like i have a repertoir of good questions as compensation of my lack of good answers, lol! Thank you very much indeed, not only for answer it, but also for having made this bold experiment in your own computer.

Tell me something: is it possible to have important kexts and configurations in the EFI partition even without the user putting them ther on purpose? How do one can check if s/he has necessary kexts and configs stored there?

Another one, Fantomas: after installing via this mobdin method, it will be possible to access both windows and ML via the chameleon boot loader without needing to reinstall it? Or this process corrupts the boot, so it's necessary to install a boot loader again? Tell us what kind of results did you get, please.

I believe the GMA950 kexts are 32bit. ML is 64 bit so no, It won't be possible at this time if ever.

It will require a 64bit kext to be written.

Still having problems with iCloud. I'm afraid i'm at the verge of giving up. Tried every suggested solution, and that includes the one James told me to try - i ran the latest chameleon wizard and generated a smbios, replacing the old one generated with champlist. Nothing changed. I continue receiving exactly this message when trying to log in iCloud:

Unable to sign in because of a problem communicating with iCloud.

With either FaceTime or iMessage, i get this one:

The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later.

No, the problem is not with my apple ID, since i log in the AppStore flawlessly using the same PC, and i log in iCloud in my MacBookPro (yes, i have one) without any issues! I tried to set up iCloud with a friend's appleID also, to no avail. Very frustrating!

Still having problems with iCloud. I'm afraid i'm at the verge of giving up. Tried every suggested solution, and that includes the one James told me to try - i ran the latest chameleon wizard and generated a smbios, replacing the old one generated with champlist. Nothing changed. I continue receiving exactly this message when trying to log in iCloud:

Unable to sign in because of a problem communicating with iCloud.

With either FaceTime or iMessage, i get this one:

The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later.

No, the problem is not with my apple ID, since i log in the AppStore flawlessly using the same PC, and i log in iCloud in my MacBookPro (yes, i have one) without any issues! I tried to set up iCloud with a friend's appleID also, to no avail. Very frustrating!

Welcome to the (unfortunate) icloudless club!

I've never managed to get my atom Asus 1201n to login to iCloud with Lion or ML - and believe me I've tried everything in the book and something else...

Never had any issues with iCloud on all the other hacks I own and built (over 6) - but none were Atom powered. Maybe that's a sign of a probable cause?

• Like 1

Welcome to the (unfortunate) icloudless club!

I've never managed to get my atom Asus 1201n to login to iCloud with Lion or ML - and believe me I've tried everything in the book and something else...

Never had any issues with iCloud on all the other hacks I own and built (over 6) - but none were Atom powered. Maybe that's a sign of a probable cause?

I used to think just that, that with an unsupported processor it would be impossible cause it does not work on patched kernels, but recently i found that some atom users are indeed getting iCloud (see this topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264740&st=560). Boy, i'm quite jealous and frustrated, lol!