Success: Mountain Lion (DP4 & GM) on Ivy i7-3770K/Z77X-UD5H/GTX 670

55 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Had a good read through this thread. I just want to clarify a few things with the folks who have had success on this motherboard and CPU.

I have just oredered the UD5H with a 3770K i7.

As I understand it, you do NOT need a DSDT of any kind when working with this board, nor do you need any Kexts?

My current setup is an EP45-DS3R - and I used DSDT which I believe has audio, graphics and various other fixes. I also use a patched AppleHDA.kext to get the onboard sound working. I used RealtekRTL81xx.kext from LION to get my network working. And the only other kext I use is FakeSMC.

My graphics card is a Geforce 9800GTX+ 512mb (not upgrading this). Which worked through DSDT.

So yea, are we saying that other than FakeSMC, this board will function 100% perfectly ( graphics, sound, network, time machine etc etc) ?

Or Will I need something for the graphics at least?

Advice and help appreciated. Thanks.

The motherboard and CPU combo will not require a modified DSDT, but kext are needed to enable the onboard sound, network, graphics etc. UNLESS they are already supported by Apple out of the box. DSDT allows the OS to SEE the devices (sound, network, graphics etc.), but it does not automatically make them work under Mac OS WITHOUT the proper kext. What UD5H motherboard gives you is no need to have DSDT and Mac OS will recognize the devices (but you still need proper kext to have them working).

In my case I did not need to install any extra kext because I was not using the onboard sound and wire networks. I have external sound card and have an Apple Airport Extreme mini PCIe card for network. GTX 670 graphics card is also supported out of the box.

With your set up, you probabaly still need to install extra kext to enable onboard sound, network etc., but you most likely won't need DSDT.

Hi,

can one of you guys tell me how to access John Cash's guide ? How can I get the permissions?

The original post is gone. I have reuploaded his guide. Check the download link on the bottom of my first post.

Hi Lofen,

Thanks for replying.

Okay, I kind of thought there would be some kext needed. You say I would probably need sound/network kext, but what about my graphics card?

The only thing I am using at the moment for my 9800GTX+ is the DSDT. Do you know if the 9800GTX+ is supported out of the box? If not, what would be the best option to get it supported?

Thanks

Hey Fellas.

Good info so far! I was able to get further with this method than any other. ###### just flashes the apple boot screen for a split second and reboots on me. :)

Here's my question. As you can see in my signature, I have the GA-Z77X-UD5H. I get hung up at step 5 in the guide when I'm using my MSi R6850 card, it goes white screen on me right when the "Choose Languages" section should appear. I found a workaround by replacing the 6850 with a Gigabyte GT 520 card. I now see the install screen. I get through installation fine. I get through step 7 fine with finalizing the volume.

Where I get stuck at next is with the bootup off of the main drive with the install drive disconnected. The last few lines on the screen when it hangs are crying about WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a

--power management may be incomplete or unsupported.

com.apple.launchd com.apple.mrt 38 stopping job...

DSMOS has arrived

[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

then it just hangs right there. So I found a workaround to that by placing the 6850 video card back in. I was able to boot this way. Once I was in I was able to install network and realtek audio from the latest ###### version.

My question is, why do I have to swap out the cards in order to get to the install screen? Should I be able to use the 6850 (which is native I think) to do all this?

Thanks much!

Drew

• 2 weeks later...

Starcraft 2 runs smooth ;-)

Does it?

On my GTX 670 in Mountain Lion I get around 40-60 FPS with Starcraft 2 (version 1.5) graphics settings set to max. If I boot into Windows I get not far from double the frames per second: 60-100 FPS.

Damn OS X and it's abysmal game performance compared to Windows. :(

It's too bad not even the games that are available for OS X performs well.

Oh, well it's just too reboot into Windows I guess..

• 10 months later...

@Lofen

in your script mkboot

I guess it's creating the USB boot stick

But why did you add support for Realtek ALC889a and Realtek 8111B in there?

GA Z77X-UD5H  has Realtek ALC898 codec and Atheros GbE LAN chip