Acronis OS Selector Is RETARDED

8 posts in this topic

I've had no trouble with it since I installed it (that is, the acronis loader) in a fat32 partition; I even put it in a small logical partition that seldom needs interfering with, and which doesn't contain any system file/folder.

So I don't know what is the magic move: avoiding ntfs, or using a non-system partition...

But as gyf said, the rescue cd/bootable media is an imperative which has been suggested many times (but surely lost in vast amount of posts in threads).

But aoss is overkill for a simple dual-boot on same partition: darwin loader or ntldr should suffice (or even wingrub).

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=spfdisk

SPFdisk is a free, open-sourced, dos-based partition manager which is meant to compare with Fdisk. This Mac-Boot version is based on v2000-03r and is meant to be compatible with Mac OS X86 10.4.6 and after. SPFDisk Manager is the best solution for multi-booting Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and others.
IMHO, SPFdisk works better but obviously not as pretty :lol:

Btw, the chinese (and only) web site about spfdisk puts a big "warning" sign in chinese (i know because it links to warning.htm). What is that all about? Anything related to the spfdisk loader? Online translators are not too good with chinese pages.

It's quite annoying not to know what the author says, what warnings there are, recomendations, what is to be done, troubleshooting, etc. When there's no obvious way to contact the author, by a user forum or such, about possible problems, questions, etc, it doesn't inspire much trust.

Links to notes, versions, wishlist, manual and the faq are all in chinese.

Sure fyi does some good pr, at least he did, but then is he the official english representative? If not, maybe he should offer his services. Translate those pages in english. Maybe set-up a user forum for chinese and english users for questions, bug submissions (if any), requests, etc.

And translating the chinese comments in the source code.

All this would provide better service, visibility, and in the long run could attract other coders to help.

(If there is some official english site that i missed, i'd be glad to learn about them).

I do hope the best for spfdisk, since it's open source.

As for pretiness: elsewhere i recommand the darwin bootloader, or the ntldr, or grub, before adding acronis, and they suffice.

Acronis Selector works out of the box for me.

I installed from the bootable CD and it worked great.

At the point I had 2 XP and 2 OsX in a single HD and no problem at all.

The only thing is that the boot menu take a little too much time to come up.