The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide...

^Andy^

193 posts in this topic

Hey, I got ML working after upgrading from SL with this guide. I am having some weird issues though.

1. Finder does not start up automatically anymore? All of my regular startups open fine, but Finder must be clicked from the dock to open first time.
  2. Cannot shutdown / restart from menu - nothing happens. Have to go to the Login Window to click shutdown there.
  3. Cannot open "About this Mac" - like shutdown and restart, nothing happens when clicked
  4. Much delay in startup/shutdown - sits at blank grey screen for a while.

Otherwise I think all is working, thank you very much! If I could just fix these odd problems it would feel a lot better to use, but it is usable nonetheless.

I am showing iMac12,2 now.

Thought I'd add my own experiences to this. The first thing I did was update the BIOS. That worked great.

1. I tried Andy's guide with 10.8.2 (latest from App store) and it took a really long time on the loading screen (it was waiting for something). I was patient and it finally loaded the first screen. That seemed stuck so I just waited (around 10 minutes) and it finally became active.

2. I then went on to try to do the install. I got a message it says I am missing "Essential System Software"

3. OK. So then I downloaded ###### and created another usb stick. This failed to boot.

4. I then used Andy's bootloader to boot into the ###### created USB stick. This worked.

5. I installed Mountain Lion, and ran the package. Everything worked except sound and my areca card.

Since I need both of those and I could not get either to work, I've decided to revert to Snow Leopard. However I'm now unable to use the older Andy boot cds to boot. Restoring from my backup doesn't seem to work either...

Should just follow up.

1. Looks like the lastest Areca driver doesn't work with my specific older card. Going back one version brought back my missing drives in Mtn Lion.

2. My sound has always been flaky and I think the chip just died (now I get no sound even in Windows). Going to RMA the board :(

Overall I think if Andy releases an updated patcher this process is almost perfect. Not sure how others are fairing on sound.

Also I found a zero length file named "*" (star) in /System/Library/Extensions. Bug?

Anyhow thanks a lot Andy. You've made the whole process easier by an order of magnitude.

I don't get what's going on with my board.

I have a P8P67 Pro rev 3.1 and it's a festival of epic fails.

I get a panic with AppleEFI kext, I remove the kext, it gets a bit further then I get a panic with an other kext, I delete that kext, it gets a bit further, then panics again on something else -_-.

I could continue this way until there's no part of OSX remaining but that's not the point xD.

I tried various DSDTs, BIOS, driver packages...

How comes dozens of people did it that easily while my board is a nogo.

You are welcome to try my latest install file http://www.mediafire.com/?qdsknbsqwwvj5kz but you still need to follow steps 1-14.

The latest usb install package will create an additional package on the root of your usb drive - this shoulld be used to make your new install bootable after the installation completes (let it reboot, use f8 to select the usb drive again and once chameleon loads select the drive you just installed to, let it boot then use finder to find the package on the root of the usb drive and install it).

Words of warning - PAY ATTENTION...

If you use a 3,000 series bios you are on your own - I've not tested it with one.

By default I install NullCPUPowermanagement - if you have an edited 2000 series bios you can delete this

If you have an AMD/ATI 6900 series card don't waste your time!

You may need to install the package again right after your first reboot to enable audio - seems to be a bug in the install script that i havnt managed to iron out.

As always good luck!!!

Andy does your dsdt have the edits for audio? If so, could you point us in the direction of doing them ourselves in the case we wish to make our own?

Yes.

You just need to make sure you have the HDEF definition..

Device (HDEF)
	    {
		    Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
		    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		    {
			    Store (Package (0x08)
				    {
					    "layout-id",
					    Buffer (0x04)
					    {
						    0x7C, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
					    },
					    "codec-id",
					    Buffer (0x04)
					    {
						    0x92, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
					    },
					    "device-type",
					    Buffer (0x11)
					    {
						    "ALC892"
					    },
					    "PinConfigurations",
					    Buffer (Zero) {}
				    }, Local0)
			    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
			    Return (Local0)
		    }
	    }

Hello, excellent work with the Lion install, running it on my Sabertooth P67 atm, wondering if you could make a Sabertooth P67 package for Mountain Lion too? ^.^

package for Mountain Lion too? in P8P67Sabertooth???

works in P8P67Sabertooth??? whith this files?? Thank you in advance.

I tested your latest package Andy, the fail continues.

This time it paniked on AppleFileCompressionDriver.kext ...

EDIT : Ok I figured the problem and it worked on 1st try. It was all my fault (but that looked pretty obvious). I used the installer from DP4, because I was too lazy to rebuild the whole installer image again. I only replaced the content in /System/Installation/packages/ . I used that trick many times from DP1 to DP4 and it worked pretty fine but it seems it doesn't work anymore from DP4 to GM/final !

I didn't think the installer could interfere on the installed files but it seems it does, well at least we've learnt something :)

I tested your latest package Andy, the fail continues.

This time it paniked on AppleFileCompressionDriver.kext ...

EDIT : Ok I figured the problem and it worked on 1st try. It was all my fault (but that looked pretty obvious). I used the installer from DP4, because I was too lazy to rebuild the whole installer image again. I only replaced the content in /System/Installation/packages/ . I used that trick many times from DP1 to DP4 and it worked pretty fine but it seems it doesn't work anymore from DP4 to GM/final !

I didn't think the installer could interfere on the installed files but it seems it does, well at least we've learnt something :)

LOL oh well you got there in the end and thats the bit that counts :)

You are welcome to try my latest install file http://www.mediafire...nsv3ntogxdkty9q but you still need to follow steps 1-14.

The latest usb install package will create an additional package on the root of your usb drive - this shoulld be used to make your new install bootable after the installation completes (let it reboot, use f8 to select the usb drive again and once chameleon loads select the drive you just installed to, let it boot then use finder to find the package on the root of the usb drive and install it).

Words of warning - PAY ATTENTION...

If you use a 3,000 series bios you are on your own - I've not tested it with one.

By default I install NullCPUPowermanagement - if you have an edited 2000 series bios you can delete this

If you have an AMD/ATI 6900 series card don't waste your time!

As always good luck!!!

Is there any chance to get a modified 3XXX Series BIOS or is there a reason why it is not possible?

As I have explained before you don't need to modify the 3-series BIOS; sleep & speed-stepping work fine with it.

On the ASUS webpage it says you have to reset CMOS twice after updating - this put Andy off. In actual fact it resets itself and does the update fine.

You would however have to re-patch your 3-series dsdt for on board audi and make sure to delete your 2-series one before you rebooted.

Edit: The p8p67 in my sig has everything perfect (except on-board audio which I always disable in the BIOS anyway and bluetooth) with only FakeSMC installed and only using SSDT, DSDT isn't even needed.

On the ASUS webpage it says you have to reset CMOS twice after updating - this put Andy off. In actual fact it resets itself and does the update fine.

Well that and the fact that I have no problems with my current bios and just can't be arsed to redo the dsdt :) - If the new bios does introduce problems there is no way to revert to my current one short of swapping bios chips so for me it's simply not worth the risk for no gain.

Hehe believe it or not but I have an old Celeron D with 512Mb and an old-and-not-even-fast-HD that boots Tiger in about the same time (a tiny bit longer tho, I see the Apple about 5s).

That desk is just way too tidy! some would call mine a mess but I prefer to think of as 'well used' lol

Word of warning if you are using an OCZ SSD drive to install to....

It probably wont work, the install will go fine but after rebooting you will just get a grey screen and not reach the desktop. This appears to be a known issue affecting certain SSD's with Mountain Lion (it happens on my cheap {censored} OCZ Petrol drive).

So if you are using an OCZ SSD stick with Lion for now until a fix appears!

Can confirm OCZ Agility 3's working perfect on Mountain Lion.

I think it's mainly the cheapy OCZ drives such as the petrol series that are affected (mind you the petrol drives rarely work at the best of times - my first one worked for 2 whole days before packing up altogether and being returned for replacement).

Any reports if the nvidia gtx 670 will work with your P8P67 install?

Or maybe 660Ti is better value. The 570 is good price too but buying old tech then.

Found this in the 6970 reports netkas forum so if this is correct guess I answered my own question. Search is my friend!

I recommend anyone to ditch their 6000 card for a 660ti or 670!

Regards!

Any reports if the nvidia gtx 670 will work with your P8P67 install?

Or maybe 660Ti is better value. The 570 is good price too but buying old tech then.

Found this in the 6970 reports netkas forum so if this is correct guess I answered my own question. Search is my friend!

Regards!

570 definitely works (I'm using one) also using a 480 in my spare hack without issue. The 670, 680 and 690 are all definitely reported as working (I don't have any of those cards so have not tested for myself but I trust the reports over at netkas forums indicating that they do indeed work with ML). I can't recall seeing anything about the 660's though so you may want to double and tripple check before buying one.

Just upgraded to 10.8.2. No problems except audio stopped working, easily fixed by replacing AppleHDA.kext.

You beat me to it, was just about to post saying 10.8.2 final installs with no issues other than the usual need to reinstall the AppleHDA.kext :)