The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide...

^Andy^

193 posts in this topic

I lost sound with 10.8.3, somebody else got this ?

I didn't check yet, there must be something new to add to DSDT or maybe it requires PCI ID patching in kext ?

Nothing else happened? Updated without problems?

I have external Sound card, so losing of internal card is not a problem for me =)

Just updated, but shouldnt have. Doesnt boot anymore, I think its due to ACPI power management again. So I would advice against upgrading for now

That's why I have a second partition with OS X for testing :)

I use clover (in UEFI mode), that works nicely.

However sleep isn't as stable as it was with XPC. It hangs regularly in sleep.

Anyway, that sound issue is giving me hard times. I checked DSDT and kexts everything looks right, the device is listed with all the pin configuration in system profiler, however still no input/output appearing in sound prefs.

Any advice is welcome.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd like to share my experience about the BIOS updating that turned this 100% supported board into a POS…

I wanted to try 3000 series BIOS. So I did the update, by itself it worked fine but OSX just really didn't like it, windows ran fine though.

However as I mainly use OSX, I wanted to flash 2103 back when I realized the utility wouldn't let me, saying it's not possible to flash back.

So I looked for some special utility to do it and found something called "reflash". I used that tool to flash a backup of my BIOS I had done before.

From then, my board was officially bricked.

I then ordered an EEPROM flasher so I could reflash the chip myself.

I could recover my BIOS, by chance, I had done a complete dump that also includes some unique regions containing your MAC address and other various serial numbers and licenses.

I would have thought the story would end there but that was not the case. My board never worked the same since then.

Using same BIOS, same bootloader, same patches… and sleep is broken, it either hangs or loses ethernet after wake, scans USB bus for ages before resetting all devices on it…

Andy : could you please share the exact version details that BIOS shows inside the main page ? Especially the ME version. This would allow me to exactly recover same stuff and is useful for everybody anyway since even after flashing the same BIOS, the ME version can stay different. ME difference can totally change the behavior and compatibility with your customized DSDT.

Hi guys,

i've been back on OSX86 for a few days after swapping my ATI6970 for an NVIDIA GTX670. Got ML 10.8.4 running great so far without too much trouble, no audio on my P8P67 (not pro) but i've just found out that i can't play more than a few second of a video online, youtube, dailymotion or facebook does the same, i've been trying this on safari and firefox as well with the same result, updated my flash and still, only about 5 to 7 seconds of video are playing, i can skip anywhere in the video, it plays again a few second before stopping.

it's only working in Chrome :/

Any idea ? i've googled and look both tonymac & here without success.

thanks

EDIT : nevermind, it's related to the missing audio... i plugged an USB audio card and everything is fine now.

I finally got my system working properly again. I had issues with corrupt/incomplete BIOS.

Important note : you need to update to latest AppleIntelE1000e.kext (current is v2.4) for the ethernet to resume properly after sleep, otherwise connexion is lost until reboot.

The one bundled with in andy's package worked with older ones in early ML versions but not anymore.

Don't forget to add the dev ID to the plist (ours is 0x15038086).

Same with Mavericks, the card is supported natively but the wake of ethernet still fails.

• 1 month later...

Turn your speakers on? :)

Btw if you want sleep working properly flash a modified bios and delete NullCPUPowermanagement.kext. I have modified bios version 2103 for the Revision 3.1 and earlier P8P67 Pro boards. This bios will enable sleep and speedstepping so you do not need to use either speedstepper or nullcpupowermanagement kexts

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 bios http://www.mediafire...db4lua28acw438r

P8P67 Pro Rev3.0 and Earlier bios http://www.mediafire...ied5qb0v0hly806

Make sure you flash the correct version for your board - if you are unsure which version you have do NOT flash - If you have a board other than a P8P67 Pro do NOT flash.

Once again for the numpties that may try flashing this to a totally different board or simply dont bother reading the warnings - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, IF YOU FLASH THE WRONG FILE TO THE WRONG BOARD IT WILL BE YOUR OWN FAULT.

I may have provided the bios files but I'm not secondary support for Asus so if you come unstuck you may well find yourself on your own.

That said feel free to use the files and good luck :)

P.S. If you own an AMD 6950 or 6970 you will need this bios to get Mountain Lion working because you need sleep working in order to get to the desktop. With a 6900 series card you have to set graphicsenabler to no (done by default with the packages in this thread) and install ATY_init (again done by dafault in these packages). You then need to remove the device id's from the ATI6000Controller in order to run the installer (you guessed it its already taken care of in these packages) and after install put the ids back in (do I even need to say it?). Once you have finished setup simply delete the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from System\Library\Extensions *(yeah ok so the packages don't automatically do this bit because if they did you wouldnt be able to use them without the modified bios - see I do think of you guys :)), clear the cache and reboot. You will then see a nice high res white screen with a mouse pointer at the point where you would normally see the desktop - fear not just press the power button and send your hack to sleep, wait a few seconds and press it again for a nice 3d accelearted experience. iTunes will crash but most other stuff works.

First of all: Thanks a lot Andy for your guide!!!

It was fantastic and now I'm using an OSX Lion only because of it.

Thanks again!!!

Second: sorry for my poor english... and, maybe, for my next questions that could be a little bit stupid.

I like to know: if I flash that modified bios can I use Windows from another HD? Could it cause some problems?

Until which version of OSX 10.8 I can arrive to install?

Thanks in advance

Heyyyy ... ... ... 

No one at home ??

Hi And,

I'm at home !

I have a modified bios as well and you have nothing to worry about with Windows, it does not affect it in any way.

I think you can go up to 10.8.5 without trouble, however I have stopped at 10.8.2 because it is a production machine and I have had no time to test any further upgrade.

I have tried 10.9 mavericks and it ran, so 10.8.5 will certainly be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi And,

I'm at home !

I have a modified bios as well and you have nothing to worry about with Windows, it does not affect it in any way.

I think you can go up to 10.8.5 without trouble, however I have stopped at 10.8.2 because it is a production machine and I have had no time to test any further upgrade.

I have tried 10.9 mavericks and it ran, so 10.8.5 will certainly be ok.

Hi cip75!

Thanks for your answer!

I solve using a patch for DSDT by Olaria and a modified AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. Now everything is working and I do not need to patch the bios.

I installed successful ML 10.8 wireless, audio, lan, etc, were ok, I tried to upgrade to 10.8.5 from AppStore but it broke audio, wireless and others. When I tried to repair it with the same kext it does not work, so I reinstalled the 10.8 and now I'm using it without problem...the only thing that I have to do is to add the SSDT for my CPU on my DSDT...

I hope that the difference from 10.8 to 10.8.5 are few and not to much important  ^_^

Mabye nex time I'll try with mavericks  :D 

• 5 years later...

Hey, better late than never, I FINALLY FOUND HOW TO GET SOUND WITH APPLE HDA AND LAST BIOS (3602) !

The solution is actually pretty simple :

- Get AMIBCP tool somewhere on the web

- Run it (you can run it fine in OSX using Wine).

- Load your 3602 bios image.

- Expand the tree to Advanced / PCI Subsystem Settings / PCH Configuration / PCH Azalia Configuration

- Find "Azalia internal HDMI codec" entry in the list on the right

- Put settings for "Failsafe" and "Optimal" to disabled.

- Save your ROM

- Flash

- Sound works (considering the rest is properly configured, you should use Layout-ID #1).

This is a good thing as 3xxx is a huge update that brings lots of new features and also UEFI compatibility as opposed to previous versions 2xxx that are ony EFI1.1 and have really exotic compatibility with clover and efi modules.

It only took 7 years :thumbsup_anim:

Capture d’écran 2019-01-06 à 19.37.31.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 9:46 PM, Krazubu said:

Hey, better late than never, I FINALLY FOUND HOW TO GET SOUND WITH APPLE HDA AND LAST BIOS (3602) !

- Expand the tree to Advanced / PCI Subsystem Settings / PCH Configuration / PCH Azalia Configuration

- Save your ROM

- Flash

- Sound works (considering the rest is properly configured, you should use Layout-ID #1).

This is a good thing as 3xxx is a huge update that brings lots of new features and also UEFI compatibility as opposed to previous versions 2xxx that are ony EFI1.1 and have really exotic compatibility with clover and efi modules.

Hey!

Thank you for update!

How you made macos and clover work and even boot on 3602? 

Do you have a Clover config to share and maybe kexts (for CLOVER boot) to share? =) (and BIOS settings also which are crucial to set)

Because when I update to 3602 macos just dont even boot up. I think it doesnt even load a FakeSMC or some sort. Tried even vanilla clover config.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 4:46 PM, Krazubu said:

- Save your ROM

- Flash

Much better solution than mine:

Thanks for sharing.

• 9 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 1:46 PM, Krazubu said:

Hi Krazubu, Thanks for directing me to this fix in the other thread about 3602 bios during Catalina install.

I managed to have the ALC codec working for a while now, I just never knew how or where to put the alcid=layout flag or didn't notice that it was a requirement, lol! I always thought I must have done something wrong.

Anyway, I applied your patch to my rom anyway and flashed and reconfigured bios after taking cell phone pics to put the settings back to previous config.

Everything seems great now. I don't use the audio onboard anyways, I only have headphones connected via bluetooth- but the latest versions of macOS do not allow video playback without an audio device connected. Sometimes when I am editing video and my headphones are charging, I require an audio device present to preview editing changes. I had been using Soundflower fake audio rerouting driver, but this fix allows me to use AppleALC instead of Soundflower.kext which is no longer supported for future updates anyway.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I just switched to alcid=11 to see if it reduced the number of input/outputs in the sound device list, and it looks like it works well. I only have 'Digital Out' and 'Internal Speaker' now, which is just what I needed. I don't use the integrated audio IO anyways, so I just need something there to allow audio-off video playback. The layout 11 menu is less cluttered. Have not tried layout 12 but see no reason to. 

Edited by Careless