Macbook + Windex

Bartboy919

31 posts in this topic

I have the same problem! My screen has dark "splotches" from liquid seeping in...

i have applecare but I'm afraid my warranty will be voided if i take it to an apple store.

it's been this way for a little over a month. let me know if you have any luck getting it repaired because i'll need to. im a college student so i'm not eager to dish out an exaggerated $900 for an lcd and voided warranty... but i wouldn't much rather show my parents that i'm mixing liquids and thousand dollar electronics either.

$900 is nearly the cost of the machine. Surely the screen doesn't cost that much, if it did I'm going to get one without it and hook it up to something.

Replacing any one part is always going to be more expensive than the part itself due to the labor cost. Also, part prices fluctuate based on what Apple is paying for them. I'm not saying you are paying what Apple pays, but if their supplier increases the price, they have to increase the price as well. The LCD is almost always the most expensive part of a laptop though.

$900 is nearly the cost of the machine. Surely the screen doesn't cost that much, if it did I'm going to get one without it and hook it up to something.

it's that price for 2 reasons:

1. labor costs have to be factored in, and

2. replacing a laptop lcd is a big enough pain in the ass that sometimes it's worth just buying a new laptop. in this case you can buy a refurb macbook for the same price they're charging to fix the lcd. easy way to drive more sales

The main reason:

Steve Jobs wants money.

$900 to replace it is silly. It will take 1 person up to an hour to replace it, maybe $50-100 labor cost. The LCD screen itself probably costs $5. They want money.

You have the honor of winning my first daily "Moron of the Day" award.*

*While the Moron of the Day award can be given up to once per day, Sarah, henceforth referred to as "Party A" is under no obligation to give out an award each day. The receiver, henceforth referred to as "Party B" will receive no actual award from Party A. It is Party B's prerogative to respond to Party A's post. However, Party A recommends against it, as any retort from Party B is likely only to serve to make Party B look even more like a moron.