Still Waiting for Root Device (only in 64-bit mode)

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Ayoosh

Ayoosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Freind i am very happy that i could assist you in your DP1 quest. congrats :D

a very starnge thing happened...... i got through the error for twice bit after that iam still getting the old error....Still Waiting error. anayway ill try prepping USB from start and give a peep on what happend...

I have exactly same problem, try boot with -v UseKernelCache=No

did that solve the problem???

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I tried to create an 8 GB partition on my OS X drive and have the same problem (still waiting for root device) so, while I do have the USB errors still, I am actually worse off when booting from my hard disk because I cannot get past the still waiting problem in both 32 and 64 bit modes. I tried using 10.7.3 USB kexts and that did not work. I also deleted the supported hardware plist and that didn't do anything. I still have to look into adding my device ID into my IOATAFamily.kext plug-ins, but I may also try rolling back that kext to 10.7.3 and see if that helps. Seeing others getting this OS loaded onto laptops with GMA X3100 is making me more determined to get past this. So far, over 30 hours spent and no results. It's a good thing i still find this entertaining.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
Is your internal drive connected via SATA? If so, is your SATA set to AHCI?

Do you have an Intel chipset?

cochon

cochon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

a very starnge thing happened...... i got through the error for twice bit after that iam still getting the old error....Still Waiting error. anayway ill try prepping USB from start and give a peep on what happend...

did that solve the problem???

Yes

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Is your internal drive connected via SATA? If so, is your SATA set to AHCI?

Do you have an Intel chipset?

Yes, yes, and yes. It's a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop, with GM965 (ICH8) chipset and GMA X3100 GPU. It has 2 SATA hard drives and 6 GB memory. My first OS X installation on this laptop was 10.5.6 and I have had every update and newer version of OS X on it ever since. I now have one HD that is solely OSX (running 10.7.3) and I have an emergency bare bones 40 GB partition of 10.7 on my other (Windows) HD.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Computer science, engineering, trumpet performance, and a host of others. :D
In that case IOATAFamily won't do you much good - that is only for PATA drives. If you are using SATA, you will need to add your ID to IOAHCIFamily.kext. Also maybe AppleAHCIPort.kext, too.

jazzyguy

jazzyguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
If I get still waiting for root device booting, but I can fix it by saying "UseKernelCache=No", what could the problem be?

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Well, using ACHI kexts from Lion didn't seem to help. I started looking at my ECHI and ECH2 device IDs in IOReg Explorer and the ID for ECH2 looked normal enough but the ID for ECHI was something like "6(". I thought maybe I had messed up and ECHI patch I did a while back so I took a friend's DSDT from his laptop of the same make and model and, although his DSDT info for ECHI and ECH2 was different than mine, when I copied it into my DSDT, rebooted and restarted IOReg Explorer, it had the same Device IDs. Maybe it's just a screw up in the Dell DSDT for our laptop model. Either way, I haven't figured out what ID I need to put in the info.plist for IOUSBFamily.kext or, for that matter, what Device ID I need to add to IOACHIFamily.kext. I'll keep plugging away at it until I get it.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
Boot a Linux Live CD, open the Terminal, and type:

lspci -nn

This will display all device IDs for your system.

Ayoosh

Ayoosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hmmm... so the thing is that I have to boot with 32- bit mode to get through...thats the problem. 64-bit kext present in mountain Lion wont get the USB which is the boot device... booting with 32-bit get me thru but the graphic card kext is a 64-bit one and gives me an "dsmos has arrived" (struck)...... usekernelcache=no doesnt work tooo..... keep pouring in with suggestions people... we dont noe what may work......

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Boot a Linux Live CD, open the Terminal, and type:

lspci -nn

This will display all device IDs for your system.

I actually was able to get this info in OS X using an app discussed here called DPCIManager. If I had to guess, the USB kext that contains several devices (device IDs and vendor IDs) was the AppleUSBMergeNub.kext, and that would be the one to add my info to. However, where it goes, I'm not so certain. I could also be way off base and just need to add my device IDs in a kext that does not currently have that info in its plist.

Leader86

Leader86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Happened same KP on my laptop with ML, solved by deleting IO80211Family.kext or replace it with Lion's version.
It appears that some Atheros wireless chipset have some problems in ML.
Please report.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Happened same KP on my laptop with ML, solved by deleting IO80211Family.kext or replace it with Lion's version.
It appears that some Atheros wireless chipset have some problems in ML.
Please report.

I used Lion's IO90211Family.kext but no luck for me. i will try removing it entirely and see if that makes any difference. Glad it worked for you.

PookyMacMan

PookyMacMan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,459 posts
There is an area of the plist that says the following:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x[devID][venID]</string>

You would replace [devID] with your device ID and [venID] with your vendor ID. If there is more than one 0x string, delete the others.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Apparently, rolling back the IOPCIFamily.kext to 10.6.7, which is one of the kexts I need to roll back to install Lion, is what is causing the problems which are leading up to the "still waiting for root device" error. However, with my hardware (Dell Inspiron 1720 with X3100 graphics) I cannot get the installation disk to boot with the current version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. So basically, I traded one problem for another.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Apparently, rolling back the IOPCIFamily.kext to 10.6.7, which is one of the kexts I need to roll back to install Lion, is what is causing the problems which are leading up to the "still waiting for root device" error. However, with my hardware (Dell Inspiron 1720 with X3100 graphics) I cannot get the installation disk to boot with the current version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. So basically, I traded one problem for another.

do u have the _UID, Zero under Device (PCI0) ?? (dell laptop specific dsdt issue)

also with my 1520 i noticed past 2gb for install gave me issues for lion... and currently im having a hard time with 10.6.8 and x3100 version 1520
10.6.7 works fine.. 10.6.8 doesnt.. seems its the IOPCIFamily

almost everything from DSDT thread for m1530 applies.. its more like m1330 if u look for MECI and compare m1330 and m1530 and insp 1720 youll see m1330 matches almost complete (minus lan and SDcard locations in PCIE .. addresses change)

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

do u have the _UID, Zero under Device (PCI0) ?? (dell laptop specific dsdt issue)

also with my 1520 i noticed past 2gb for install gave me issues for lion... and currently im having a hard time with 10.6.8 and x3100 version 1520
10.6.7 works fine.. 10.6.8 doesnt.. seems its the IOPCIFamily

almost everything from DSDT thread for m1530 applies.. its more like m1330 if u look for MECI and compare m1330 and m1530 and insp 1720 youll see m1330 matches almost complete (minus lan and SDcard locations in PCIE .. addresses change)

I do NOT have _UID, Zero under Device PCI0. I DO have it in two other places. What does that mean?

As for your memory issue, I solved that by adding the kernel flag "max_valid_dma_addr=1024."

I am running Lion 10.7.3 but I have had to roll-back AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext to 10.6.7 versions.

Thanks for the tip about the m1330 dsdt.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

I do NOT have _UID, Zero under Device PCI0. I DO have it in two other places. What does that mean?

in my 8600gt 1520 i had to add it next to _ADR for wireless and gfx to work after 10.6.8 and proper smbios of macbook 5,x or higher
in acpi specs shows what _UID is. been awhile since i read it.

it has to do with PCIROOT in chameleon

my problems do get easier to handle with the 1024 dma limit but seems still unstable on wake.

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

As for your memory issue, I solved that by adding the kernel flag "max_valid_dma_addr=1024."

I am running Lion 10.7.3 but I have had to roll-back AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext to 10.6.7 versions.

Thanks for the tip about the m1330 dsdt.

The fact that you had to roll back AppleACPIPlatform.kext indicates the some incomaptibility of the motherboard. There 5 new kexts ML that may or may not play nice with any particular board. In my case, I have 2 diff. machines with 2 motherboards from diff. manufacturers although they are both P45 chipsets. Both run vanilla 10.7.3 perfectly, except 1 needs dsdt. The board that requires dsdt gives me fits with ML until I figured it out by observing the error messages. To make long sotry short, the 5 new kexts ML wehich may need rollback are: AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOACPIFamily.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, and finally IOPCIFamily.kext. Start rolling back 1 kext at a time in the listed order until your machine boots. Remember to repair permissions. DSDT only helps fix minor issues such as sound or PCI devices.
Good luck!

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I have solved my problem with "still waiting for root device." I had been rolling back AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext to version 10.6.7, which is what I needed to do to get Lion to boot up properly. However, the 10.6.7 versions don't work with ML. When I used the 10.7 versions of those 2 kexts, it found my boot drive. Now, I am getting stuck at "waiting for DSMOS." I'm sure there is some kext that also requires a roll-back. I will ask for suggestions and report my progress at this stage in a new thread once I have read what others who have gotten stuck at this stage have found to work. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy