• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

kulos

kulos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
I just gave up the ATI story. The card is being returned and will be replaced by a NVIDIA product.

I cant understand why people state that HD6870 cards are 100% supported as there are major problems with performance (AGPM not working) and a lot of hazzle with Framebuffers and personalities in order to get dual DVI output.

One downside with a Nvidia 5xx card is (as far as I understand) that I have to give up my 10.6.8 installation.

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

(~_~)

• Retired
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:(~_^)
They say that because people like me who own one manage to get it working "100%." There aren't major problems with it because it doesn't suffer the Fermi freeze as the card you're about to get will. Setting a framebuffer should be a relatively easy thing to do. Personalities you could practically use ones people have already made since the card outptus are the same and it should work.

You need to remember things weren't made to just be so plug and play it does require some work from the users end it's why we do what we do here.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff

I just gave up the ATI story. The card is being returned and will be replaced by a NVIDIA product.

I cant understand why people state that HD6870 cards are 100% supported as there are major problems with performance (AGPM not working) and a lot of hazzle with Framebuffers and personalities in order to get dual DVI output.

One downside with a Nvidia 5xx card is (as far as I understand) that I have to give up my 10.6.8 installation.

I think the Cinebench scores your getting are perfectly fine based on the rest of your hardware. It's a computer system and not a graphics card holder. Cinebench isn' t that fun of a game anyway, I can never seem to get past the first level, always the cop car pushes me off the road in the same hairpin turn. If anyone knows how I can get past this part so I can get more frames and beat this level that would be great!

kulos

kulos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Well, I upgraded due to the flash player problems I have with my 8800gtx. Using dp4 GeForce drivers however solves this problem. I agree that the cinebench score is not that serious, but after downloading all the patched ATI6000controller kexts I could find and combining them with the various framebuffers without gaining dual DVI, I just got fed up. Further, both duckweed and gibba gave mouse movement artifcts ( single display). The 8800gtx solution is way more stable and easy, and I'm willing to give another Nvidia product a chance. I want stuff to work properly, not just partially.

zavy

zavy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Hi all, I bench 55 in cinebench for osx and 78 under windows with a powercolor 6870 1gb. Have I to modify the applegraphicspowermanagement? Or there is no way for use the full power of this graphics card?
Thank you

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
CPU plays a big part in Cinebench OpenGL bench so always keep that in mind..Regardless zavy, your scores are great for a 6870, don't expect windows and osx benches to line up cause they won't, but your scores are good in both and def just fine in OSX. OSX version plays a factor too, where on my 5870 which has more raw horsepower than 6870 but no tesslation, I'll get around 64fps in 10.7.3 but I get 42fps in every version of ML except DP3 upd1 which was quite a bit faster. But they all run fine with absolutely no noticeable difference in the real world of OS usage or gaming.

zavy

zavy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
ok, so I will not do anything for this, thank you

xmen107

xmen107

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

hello

i send two kext

try one and another

and use the best fit to u

test also with openglviewer4

is free in apple store

good hack

Olá artur, as configuraçoes dessa kext tambem servem para uma ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5? ou é preciso alterar alguma coisa na info.plist?

artur-pt

artur-pt

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 4,633 posts
  • Interests:TechManiaco
olá

a kext usa o dev id da grafica eo smbios k estás a usar..

dá uma olhada k vais entender

bom hack

carloseap

carloseap

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, everyone!

I had pretty much the same problems with my GTX HD 6890 - low performance with Cinebench, and OpenGL error in Luxmark. After reading this and other forums, I downloaded a developer's edition of OSX 10.7.5 (combo) and all my problems went away! My performance instantly doubled and the Luxmark error disappeared! The only thing I had to reinstall was my soundcard, but everything else worked to perfection. My motherboard: GA-Z68AP-D3, i5 processor (2400s), 16 GB 2133 DDR3 RAM, SSD with OSX in one partition and Windows 7 x64 in the other. Now my Radeon is fully functional, (at least performance wise - I only use one monitor, so I don't know if al the ports in my cards work).

I don't have much details about this update, but I read it included graphic card improvements, so I decided to give it a try.

I hope this information helps!

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
Also have found that adding USBBusFix=Yes to your boot.plist will improve your scores by around 7 fps, and improve in Novabench too. Have confirmed this on a few x58 systems, not sure yet about some other mobo chipsets, so please feel free to test and let me know.

dtrvndrn

dtrvndrn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi people, thanks a lot for the info here.

Here's my experiences on the subject. I have an XFX HD6870 2GB version, GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo, i7 2600k (non-oc), 8GB RAM (clocked at 1600mhz).

I used to have around 48fps/7pts in Cinebench on OSX 10.7.2, Chimera/###### (don't remember the version), SMBIOS macpro3,1, graphicsenabler=yes. When I checked again the other day I got less than half, 21fps/3pts, no matter what. Not sure at what point I did something that killed the performance but I wanted to fix it. Needed to update to 10.7.4 anyway. With this config AGPM is not running.

First I updated to Chimera1.11 / Multibeast4.6.1. Same results. Then I changed SMBIOS to macpro5,1 (had to delete appletymcedriver.kext in the process to prevent KP). Results back at 47fps/7pts. AGPM running (without editing anything). Happy.

Then I updated OSX to 10.7.4 and the results are back to 21fps/3pts. AGPM still loading though. Not Happy.

Any ideas on this?

NB: Unigine seems to run the same on all these installs...

Edit : installed HWmonitor and my CPU seems stuck at 1600Mhz (x16) so looks like I have some work to do...

dtrvndrn

dtrvndrn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, that was easier than expected!

I fixed it with ###### settings: patched appleintelcpupowermanagement & SSDT i7
and in BIOS (F10 firmware): 'realtime CPU control in OS' disabled .

CPU now goes up to 3500Mhz dynamically and Cinebench stats are back to 47fps/6.5pts.

* Edit: it even gets better, now getting 51.89fps/6.70pts
Geekbench 32bit = 11866
Luxmark CPU = 450, GPU yields error, seems to be a Luxmark issue from what I read
Oceanwave = 341.4 fps

* Edit#2: toyed some more in BIOS, set CPU multiplier and turbo ratios, installed i7-overclocked SSDT. CPU now boosts up to 4.2GHz. Cinebench: 58.15fps/7.40pts B) (runs damn hot though!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xfx, 6870, radeon, cinebench

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy