macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

mackyreddy

955 posts in this topic

Usually wake functionality is broken in later BIOS versions, but I indeed may have a DSDT-based solution for that ..possible no need to backport the specified module. What DSDT are you using ?

The audio issues is due to having EAPD on a speaker node, IOAudioFamily has to be recompiled and a custom obstraction layer patch has to be integrated to enable the external amplifier after sleep.. this is a plague for many laptop codecs. For ethernet - just use lnx2mac (not sure if L702x has same 8168 realtek chip though) - works like a charm here.

All the things you are referring to are related not to ACPI directly, but to WMI device (and it's interaction with OS->Hardware) rather. And it sure seems broken for you guys, Dell at least has bothered to fix it for my Vostro in BIOS A13.. the changelog says: "Fix the QuickSet compatibility problem on Windows 8" - this can't be just software, it was done on BIOS level. But they still screwed up because Fn+F1 doesn't work ..

@TimeWalker75a

Thanks for your answer

Using the default (GeForce not disabled) DSDT from the first post, by mackyreddy I suppose. Was trying to get the GeForce-disabled one to work, but was having trouble with device-properties and Clover. Got it to work in some way, but the Intel graphics got very buggy and audio didn't work anymore, so instead reverted to the default one. EDIT: got the GeForce-disabled DSDT to work, sleep works with that one too. I forgot to mention some USB issues at wake: EHCI seems to get reset (disks on it are erased and remounted) and XHCI dies totally. Still normal things?

I do use a modified IOAudioFamily (again from mackyreddy), otherwise the audio doesn't work at all. But I don't know about the abstraction layer patch, do you (or does anyone) know of any already patched IOAudioFamily?

I already have the latest (0.0.90) lnx2mac kext installed. It got Ethernet to work, which by itself is a plus, but it is somewhat shaky. If the Ethernet cable is not connected during boot, it may take 5-10 minutes for it to recognize a cable is connected, and after wake it can't re-establish the connection to the router. Should perhaps try manual IP configuration, but don't have acces to an Ethernet cable now. The L702X model indeed uses the same 8168 chip.

@mackyreddy

Are you very sure you GeForce-disabled DSDT is, apart from the part disabling the GeForce, doing the same things as the one that does not disable the GeForce? Besides the different edit date (August 23rd and November 25th, respectively) it appears to me that the HDEF parts, for instance, are quite different. New to DSDT patching though, so please forgive me if I am wrong.

EDIT: nevermind. I was using the wrong GeForce-enabled DSDT to compare. Could you tell me how you have got the device-properties string that is included in you org.chameleon.Boot.plist for the GeForce-disabled DSDT?

EDIT2: nevermind again. It works now.

Edited by Brabbelbla

@ Zpecter

What problems are you facing? Could you post the issues in detail. Thanks.

The problem is that it loads DSDT, SSDT and all the kexts, and then, it simply reboots. Here is a video I recorded that shows the problem:

@Zpecter

AFAIK BIOS settings don't have to be meddled with, defaults are good (save you want to use UEFI boot and use Clover, like I wanted). I have had similar symptoms as you, but at a different moment maybe. For me the laptop rebooted when booting had quite much finished and OS X was supposed to enter the GUI. Deleting all the GeForce*.kext and NV*.kext files worked for me.

@webcivilian

Hmm, not sure if a guide would make things much clearer. Wouldn't know where to start, as most of the instructions can be found in, for instance, the Clover thread. Please first tell me where you get stuck, and I'd be happy to help you.

@Brabbelbla

I have a few questions:

1. What is the advantage of using Clover UEFI vs Chameleon?

2. Will it work with my current Windows 7 MBR partition? I really don't want to re-install again if I don't need to.

3. I would have to enable UEFI boot from BIOS? Would I need a new DSDT then? Which BIOS version are you on? And does it support GUID boot.

4. Do I still need to patch OSInstall MBR patch or can I format the MacHD as GUID partition and would not be needed? (I have two drives)

5. Where can I find the latest stable build? (as I have seen a few on osx86)

6. Can you give me some hints to make this easier :)

Thanks for your help.

This is a new video:

And this is a screenshot from the last lines of code before the reboot:

post-678482-0-59576800-1354056951_thumb.png

@Brabbelbla

I'm using the Mountain Lion image uploaded by mackyreddy on the first post, and it doesn't have any GeForce or NV kexts. :(

@webcivilian

I'll try to answer the best I can.

1) Oh, gosh. Never really thought about that. From what I've seen, which is rather limited on the side of Chameleon, Clover allows for more advanced configuration, is more modern, gets developed more rapidly and is better documented. UEFI booting avoids some steps in the boot process. The firmware, which is UEFI in essence, doesn't need to launch the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) to allow booting from an MBR boot sector in BIOS/Legacy mode, and the bootloader doesn't need to then fake a (U)EFI environment to boot OS X. But for me real X-factor was that UEFI booting allows to boot from GUID Partition Table (GPT) devices, which is far more flexible than MBR.

2) It should work. We both have the luxury of two physical hard drives, and I have one in MBR style for BIOS booting Windows and one in GPT style to boot Clover/OS X. Works perfect. Although I haven't tried yet with multi-partition devices, it is possible too to boot in UEFI mode from an MBR device, then there would be no need to meddle with new partition tables at all. But that's what it's all about to me.

3) Yes, if you want to use Clover UEFI you will have to enable UEFI booting from BIOS. For that, you need a hacked BIOS, which is given some pages earlier. No need for a new DSDT. I am using A19, with modifications by myself. The point is, the BIOS itself does support GPT booting, but it is disabled as long as UEFI boot mode is not enabled, which is not possible with stock BIOS from Dell.

4) Yes, you can convert the MacHD to a GPT disk and there is no need for the MBR patch. Given that you use a hacked BIOS and enable UEFI booting

5) I am using this one.

6) Tired now, if you still want to go through with this I will give directions, but want to sleep first :)

• Like 1

@Zpecter

You can do a couple of things. First, the mackyreddy ML image is based on i7-2630QM, so make sure you are using the correct DSDT and SSDTs. Second, make sure you are using A19 custom bios, also reset the bios to default. From what I can see you might have USB Legacy turned on.

@

Brabbelbla

I'm still a little bit confused about the BIOS and DSDT. I have the modded OSX A19 BIOS. But I'm using DSDT which was provided by mackyreddy as I don't know how to patch the DSDTs yet :)

Also, I'm confused about how many partitions will I need for Clover. This is why direction will come handy :)

@Zpecter

You can do a couple of things. First, the mackyreddy ML image is based on i7-2630QM, so make sure you are using the correct DSDT and SSDTs. Second, make sure you are using A19 custom bios, also reset the bios to default. From what I can see you might have USB Legacy turned on.

Yes, I have another Hackintosh so I changed the SSDTs for the correct ones for my model, i7-2670QM, I think there is only one DSDT for all models, and I'm using the custom bios from a previous post, and I also have reseted the bios to default settings, but still have the same issue and I don't know what more to do to solve it.

@Zpecter

Can't really think of anything else than a wrong DSDT. You could try to replace your current one by the latest one mackyreddy posted in his package. Think they were updated, but don't know.

@webcivilian

Alright. DSDT is no problem at all. I am using the DSDT from mackyreddy too. Both work. To be absolutely clear to everyone: what I am going to write now, is about setting up Clover for UEFI booting mode, not 'regular' Clover, and it only works in this exact way for this laptop.

1. Get the Clover UEFI-only package, can be found here, and extract it. For trying Clover, it is best placed on a single-partition MBR USB drive. This must be a FAT32 partition. Get mackyreddy's kext pack, and the Lx02X package from here.
  2. Add EmuVariableRuntimeDxe.efi found here to EFI/Drivers64UEFI on the USB drive. The drivers in that folder are there because the UEFI boot mode of our Phoenix Technologies', and many other firms', firmware ('BIOS') does not perfectly fit in with OS X and some sort of a transition layer has to be provided.
  3. Extract InstallESD.dmg to yet another USB drive, extract System/Library/Extensions from BaseSystem.dmg inside InstallESD.dmg to this USB drive. Add required kexts (FakeSMC, USB3, keyboard etc., whatever you need) to S/L/E.
  4. Place the DSDT and the SSDT tables for your model in the EFI/ACPI/patched folder on the Clover drive.
  5. Edit the config.plist file in EFI: specify the name of your DSDT file, make it drop OEM SSDT tables, generate C-states and enable GraphicsInjector. Clover will detect the best SMBIOS for your laptop, probably MacBook Pro 8,3, which it will return to OS X. If you use mackyreddy's NVIDIA-off DSDT, you also have to provide the DeviceProperties string that in in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in his kext pack. My config.plist is attached: config.plist.zip
  6. (Re)boot your Lx02X, enter BIOS setup, enable UEFI boot under Advanced -> Boot Configuration. From now on the machine will, for every device, try first to boot in UEFI mode, and if nothing is found it will try in BIOS/Legacy mode.
  7. Insert the Clover USB drive and boot it. Insert the OS X install USB drive, Clover will recognise it, press space and boot "...with extra kexts (skips cache)".
  8. Do whatever you want inside the installer, for instance, like you said, convert the drive for OS X to GPT with Disk Utility, and make it move the files to the partition you want. About the partition layout: Disk Utility will create an EFI system partition as first partition, on every GPT drive it partitions. You will then add an OS X partition, and the OS X installer will create a recovery partition. That's it. AFAIK the recovery partition can be deleted; you probably won't use FileVault.
  9. Copy mach_kernel and the S/L/E folder from your installer USB drive to the partition where OS X is to be installed.
  10. Restart, boot Clover and then OS X Install "with extra kexts" from the partition concerned. Let installation take place. It returned "Installation failed" to me, but that's not a problem.
  11. Make sure mach_kernel and boot.efi are present in the root of your OS X partition. Else, copy them.
  12. Boot Clover, then OS X "with extra kexts". Delete OS X Install Data from the partition, install the kexts from mackyreddy's kext pack, just to be sure you have everything, except for VoodooBattery. Run the Lx02X installer package, only install the IOAHCIFamily patch and SmartBatteryManagement. Repair kext permissions and delete caches as described here. From now on, you should be able to boot using kernelcache, so you won't need to boot "with extra kexts" anymore.

Maybe I forgot something, but I think you should now have a working Hackintosh installation, on a GPT drive, with UEFI boot. Quite a guide it has become. If this all works, you can move Clover to the EFI system partition on your second (or first, 'Mac') HDD, but I will not describe that now.

• Like 3

@Zpecter

Can't really think of anything else than a wrong DSDT. You could try to replace your current one by the latest one mackyreddy posted in his package. Think they were updated, but don't know.

@webcivilian

Alright. DSDT is no problem at all. I am using the DSDT from mackyreddy too. Both work. To be absolutely clear to everyone: what I am going to write now, is about setting up Clover for UEFI booting mode, not 'regular' Clover, and it only works in this exact way for this laptop.

1. Get the Clover UEFI-only package, can be found here, and extract it. For trying Clover, it is best placed on a single-partition MBR USB drive. This must be a FAT32 partition. Get mackyreddy's kext pack, and the Lx02X package from here.

2. Add EmuVariableRuntimeDxe.efi found here to EFI/Drivers64UEFI on the USB drive. The drivers in that folder are there because the UEFI boot mode of our Phoenix Technologies', and many other firms', firmware ('BIOS') does not perfectly fit in with OS X and some sort of a transition layer has to be provided.

3. Extract InstallESD.dmg to yet another USB drive, extract System/Library/Extensions from BaseSystem.dmg inside InstallESD.dmg to this USB drive. Add required kexts (FakeSMC, USB3, keyboard etc., whatever you need) to S/L/E.

4. Place the DSDT and the SSDT tables for your model in the EFI/ACPI/patched folder on the Clover drive.

5. Edit the config.plist file in EFI: specify the name of your DSDT file, make it drop OEM SSDT tables, generate C-states and enable GraphicsInjector. Clover will detect the best SMBIOS for your laptop, probably MacBook Pro 8,3, which it will return to OS X. If you use mackyreddy's NVIDIA-off DSDT, you also have to provide the DeviceProperties string that in in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in his kext pack. My config.plist is attached: config.plist.zip

6. (Re)boot your Lx02X, enter BIOS setup, enable UEFI boot under Advanced -> Boot Configuration. From now on the machine will, for every device, try first to boot in UEFI mode, and if nothing is found it will try in BIOS/Legacy mode.

7. Insert the Clover USB drive and boot it. Insert the OS X install USB drive, Clover will recognise it, press space and boot "...with extra kexts (skips cache)".

8. Do whatever you want inside the installer, for instance, like you said, convert the drive for OS X to GPT with Disk Utility, and make it move the files to the partition you want. About the partition layout: Disk Utility will create an EFI system partition as first partition, on every GPT drive it partitions. You will then add an OS X partition, and the OS X installer will create a recovery partition. That's it. AFAIK the recovery partition can be deleted; you probably won't use FileVault.

9. Copy mach_kernel and the S/L/E folder from your installer USB drive to the partition where OS X is to be installed.

10. Restart, boot Clover and then OS X Install "with extra kexts" from the partition concerned. Let installation take place. It returned "Installation failed" to me, but that's not a problem.

11. Make sure mach_kernel and boot.efi are present in the root of your OS X partition. Else, copy them.

12. Boot Clover, then OS X "with extra kexts". Delete OS X Install Data from the partition, install the kexts from mackyreddy's kext pack, just to be sure you have everything, except for VoodooBattery. Run the Lx02X installer package, only install the IOAHCIFamily patch and SmartBatteryManagement. Repair kext permissions and delete caches as described here. From now on, you should be able to boot using kernelcache, so you won't need to boot "with extra kexts" anymore.

Maybe I forgot something, but I think you should now have a working Hackintosh installation, on a GPT drive, with UEFI boot. Quite a guide it has become. If this all works, you can move Clover to the EFI system partition on your second (or first, 'Mac') HDD, but I will not describe that now.

Great guide! But to register on projectosx.com (for EmuVariableRuntimeDxe.efi) one is required to pass a sanity test which is nearly impossible.

Oh, and I think also the packages from BaseSystem.dmg should be copied to you USB drive, right?

Don't we need the other drivers? HFSPlusX64.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv.efi (from the post on projectosx.com too)

Great guide! But to register on projectosx.com (for EmuVariableRuntimeDxe.efi) one is required to pass a sanity test which is nearly impossible.

Oh, and I think also the packages from BaseSystem.dmg should be copied to you USB drive, right?

Don't we need the other drivers? HFSPlusX64.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv.efi (from the post on projectosx.com too)

Here is another link for EmuVariableRuntimeDxe.efi:

http://www.mediafire...rqv2a1rwmn4asph

I passed the test from projectosx some time ago. :wink2:

@Zpecter

I'm already using that DSDT. :(

@gabn

When installing OS X, I used the way Apple uses by default, which copies the Packages to the partition they are to be installed to, then reboots to that partition and installs. Does your way work? Would be easier and faster for sure...

HFSPlus.efi, OsxFatBinary.efi and OsxAptioFixDrv.efi are already in the UEFI-only Clover package I mentioned.

nice work Brabbelba - am typing this off my UEFI USB boot stick as we speak :)

also the FSB mod is working as well - have increased FSB by 10% and geekbench has increased by the same proportion!

One question though - my legacy OSes (Win8, Linux) have disappeared from the Clover boot menu. How do I re-enable them? rEFIt also used to hang on booting legacy OS - any solution for that?

anyways - thanks again and great work!

@ Brabbelbla

Thanks for the very informative guide.

Few questions: (just so that I understand things)

• ​By extract you mean to restore InstallESD.dmg using Disk Utility to a USB drive. Copy just the Extensions folder under BaseSystem.dmg to the USB where InstallESD.dmg was restored.

• ​After the partition is created and before running the installation itself we are copying the Extension folder. Stupid question but the System/Library will already be there and I need to drop the Extensions from USB or I will need to create System/Library folders.
  • Isn't S/L/E going to be overwritten by the OS X installer.

@jkbuha

Do you have the option to hide those partitions defined in your config.plist? If you are using mine, you do ;)

@webcivilian

By extract you mean to restore InstallESD.dmg using Disk Utility to a USB drive. Copy just the Extensions folder under BaseSystem.dmg to the USB where InstallESD.dmg was restored.

• First is correct. About the second: I mean that you create a System folder on the USB, then a Library folder within it, and then copy the Extensions folder from BaseSystem.dmg to System/Library, indeed on the USB to which InstallESD.dmg was restored. Then you will add the kexts that you require to boot the system (only FakeSMC is absolutely necessary, I think, maybe some keyboard or touchpad kexts would be handy, I just added the whole kext pack) to it.

​After the partition is created and before running the installation itself we are copying the Extension folder. Stupid question but the System/Library will already be there and I need to drop the Extensions from USB or I will need to create System/Library folders.

• When the partition is created, it is empty. So the System/Library won't be there?

Isn't S/L/E going to be overwritten by the OS X installer?

• It will be, but for me it didn't matter a thing. Just worked.

I'm registered here for a long times, that time I used dell vostro 1500, but now new Dell XPS L702X.

First, I want to thanks for the A19 BIOS mod so I can enable UEFI boot, I can run windows 8 on uefi which is faster.

Second, I realize I'm not only the one face with "Dell Quickset" and "Fn+F2" hang my laptop. so this is maybe the bios problems, and it somehow very annoying.. I don't know if there is anything wrong with the bios settings, 'cause everything is just fine in windows 8 MBR. I'm going to restore default settings for the bios to see if these problems gone. otherwise, I think I will go back to poor BIOS performance. Dell hide these options maybe because of those reasons?

Dumb question... If I do mackyreddy's guide from the first post, should I also delete the NVDAGF100Hal.kexts? I ask this, because I have the GT555m with 3D... For best performance I think I need them, right? But how do I inject the device ID into the kext?

Oh, and can I just take the applications from your 10.8.2 build and place them in the folder "applications" on my usb to get them? Because my version of the installESD comes without them..

One more question, what is the DellSynapticsTouchpad.pkg and what does it do? Installing kexts should also work, right?

EDIT: What I tried:

1. Create Clover USB using brabbelbla's guide. Boot into clover. Works! Just to clarify for myself: I didn't place a S/L/E folder with extension on this USB drive, right? Only on the Mac OS install drive...

2. Create bootable USB from mackyreddy's release and replace OSInstall with the one from my original 10.8.2 dmg so that I can install on a GPT disk. Also replaced SSDT files with the ones for my CPU (QM 2670). Didn't work!

2.1 It is not possible to boot into verbose mode with Clover, is it?

2.2 I also miss the Installation folder in System in mackyreddy's release?

3. Boot into my windows 8 EFI installation by using clover. Didn't work! I see a windows 8 "message" (which is actually a light blue screen which tells me that my pc will restart and then automatically restore the error)

What I will try next: Create bootable USB drive with my original 10.8.2 installation.

@jkbuha

I don't really know, haven't ever used Clover for Legacy booting. You could try deleting EmuVariableRuntimeDxe and maybe other drivers, to see if that ahem... "fixes" the problem. EDIT: Oooohh, wait. In config.plist, in SystemParameters, define a LegacyBoot key, with PBR as string. Deleted that one in mine. And therefore yours. :P

@gabn

Yes, you can boot into verbose mode with Clover. Just press space when selecting the OS, and you will see it. Windows 8 UEFI boot with Clover will probably be prevented by EmuVariableRuntimeDxe. The BSOD, does it say anything about a non-ACPI-compliant BIOS? If so, you could try the ones in this post (direct link). If you try, delete EmuVariableRuntimeDxe. It will load EmuVariableUefi when booting OS X, and will not (and thereby return the real variables, instead of fake ones) when booting Windows and any other OS.

• Like 1