OSX 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 on the Dell XPS 1340 laptop

bcc9

321 posts in this topic

Ok, I just got around to 10.7.4 on this laptop and can confirm that voodoobattery is not working. I tried the alleged workaround of removing /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext, but it made no difference.

Edit: looks like a simple packaging problem with my AppleACPIPlatform.mcp79 package; the postinstall script is not running.

Has someone an Idea how to get the card reader running? OSX doesn't recognize it.

For SD cards, try the various solutions here

http://www.projectos...?showtopic=1426

and report back.

Since the 1340 uses a ricoh sd card reader, and some people report success with ricoh hardware and these drivers, it should be possible by now.

I've updated the AppleACPIPlatform package in post #1 to v2.1. v2.0 was not doing anything at all as the post install script was not running (trivial packaging error).

Wish someone had noticed this before (easy to see as neither the battery nor lid close would work after applying the package); this explains the reported voodoobattery issues after upgrading to 10.7.4.

• Like 1

I've updated post #1 so that all the included DSDTs inject the necessary graphic strings without chameleon's graphicsenabler, (since we've finally seen that chameleon's graphicsenabler code isn't doing the right thing for systems with the graphics co-processor 9200m/210m). This also entails a new org.chameleon.Boot.plist, found in plists.v3.zip, also in post #1.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
about you post:
Editing custom personalities for ATI Radeon HD[45]xxx
with every thing you know about ati cards now can you do a new post with any new in fo or ways to get an ATI HD cards working with QE_CI & res change with how-tos and links to all the tools needed.
Thank you.

Regarding ATI Radeon support,

As I posted here:

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1816190 ideally we would have the master technical thread (the one I posted), and some other support threads for user questions/shrink wrapped solutions.

Unfortunately, I don't really have time to develop a new newbie thread for ATI support. I really wish someone would step up to help in this regard. I could probably find some time to help that one person with further refinements to the tools.

Supporting ATI hackintosh hardware is a bit of a bigger problem than supporting just nvidia mcp79 based laptops. This is because there are many more hardware combinations for the ATI hardware, and I don't have a lab of cards to test against. So any shrink wrapped solution for ATI hardware requires skilled beta testers. Yet most of the community doesn't seem interested in providing such ongoing skilled testing, and so providing a general solution becomes more difficult.

Using information from radeon_bios_decode, it seems possible to generate ConnectorInfo patches automagically. I don't really dare take something like this on without a team of testers. Yet this is the approach I would look to before providing any real newbie support. I don't think I have the time for such a thing right now anyways.

This very thread is a good example of how lack of testing makes the support more difficult. It took months before enough testing was done by users with hardware different than my own before the guide could be fixed to work for everyone. This added extra support load for me.

On top of that, users who find a working solution often don't come back to support others. The support load is left for the guide writer, which is hardly a way to reward those who take the time to make guides.

Long winded way of saying sorry, I don't have any new newbie information to add. I did however just update the ati-personality perl script to support 10.8.

• 3 weeks later...

Both DSDTs don't seem to work for me

This is the output I got from showbootermemorymap

Type       Physical Start   Number of Pages
available  0000000000000000 000000000000009d
reserved   000000000009dc00 0000000000000002
reserved   00000000000d2000 0000000000000002
reserved   00000000000e4000 000000000000001c
available  0000000000100000 000000000006fdc0
ACPI_recl  000000006fec0000 000000000000000f
ACPI_NVS   000000006fecf000 0000000000000016
reserved   000000006fee5000 000000000000001b
reserved   000000006ff00000 0000000000010000
reserved   000000007ff00000 0000000000000100
reserved   00000000e0000000 0000000000010000
reserved   00000000fec00000 0000000000000010
reserved   00000000fee00000 0000000000000001
reserved   00000000fff80000 0000000000000080

Both DSDTs don't seem to work for me

This is the output I got from showbootermemorymap

Sure enough, your ACPI address space is different.

Do you know how to compile DSDTs yourself?

You can just patch the 5 addresses in your DSDT just like I did before, to match your unique address. Here's the patch for your address:

% ed fixed.dsl
,s/0xAFE/0x6FE/
w alt.dsl
q
%

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried to install Mountain Lion yet?

The thumb-drive procedure for 10.8 is identical to the procedure for 10.7, other than a newer version of chameleon is required. (Support for OSX 10.8 was added to chameleon as of r1939).

I've updated post #1 with a new version of my patch to AppleACPIPlatform for OSX 10.8. Unfortunately the code changed just enough to require a new patch. The new version is AppleACPIPlatform.mcp79.v2.2.pkg.zip, which includes support for all OSX 10.6 thru 10.8.

The AppleHDA patch for 10.8 will probably need to be re-done as well. If someone else has a patch ready that'd be a help.

My trackpad did not work when running the 10.8 installer, I'm not sure what is going wrong there. I had to use an external mouse for that step. The trackpad worked again once the install was complete...

Update: I've also added the new AppleRTC patch for 10.8 to post #1

Sure enough, my AppleHDA package needed updating. I've attached a new version (AppleHDA.idt.v2.pkg) to post #1.

The new version includes the new required compressed xml resource files (which are otherwise identical to what they were in 10.7).

Also the AppleHDA binary patch changed slightly. The patch itself is actually back to the simple form that worked for 10.6, go figure :)

My 10.8 experience.

Using Alternate Lion v5 DSDT

Created installer from 10.8 GM, with only Fakesmc and VoodooPS2 -> Installer partition hangs.

Added plist.v3 to Installer

Added patched IOPCIFamily.kext to Installer partition then used MyHack to rebuild caches on Installer.

Now can get to GUI for installer

Perform installer on an OS partition and provide Fakesmc and VoodooPS2. Added plist.v3 to OS. No panic but OSX GUI never comes up.

Can only get in to the GUI with SafeMode :(

I don't know why you're having such troubles. Sounds like the proper graphics injection strings are missing from your ioregistry (which should be injected via the dsdt). I recommend you check your ioregistry, making sure the injection strings are being injecting to the 9400M device.

I also don't know why you're patching iopcifamily, or using myhack, or mucking with your caches. (When you use plist.v3, chameleon boots without UseKernelCache=yes, and so your kexts in /Extra/Extensions should be loaded no problem). The Installer GUI came up for me without any of those extra steps.

To bcc9:

I'd like to know how do you get your 9400M G Graphics work in mountain lion.A dsdt.aml or GraphicsEnabler=Yes.And could you shut off the 9200mgs graphics card in bios settings.

My laptop is Alienware M17X which also have a NVIDIA 9400M G Integrated Graphics.And I have GTX260M SLI Graphics too.In bios settings I can choose to shut the 9400m g or the GTX260M SLI off.In 10.7.0 lion,I shut the 9400m g off and use a dsdt to drive the GTX260M.But the dsdt doesn't work in mountain lion.Since the Alienwre M17X ang the XPS 1340 share the same Integrated Graphics.And both of them is a dell product with a NVIDIA chipset.So I assume the DSDT of 1340 should be useful in my M17X.

So if you have a DSDT which could make the 9400m g work in mountain lion.Could you share the file and method with me?

My problem was descirbed here.http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=281723

(Sorry for my poor English,English is not my native language.)

The 9400m works with mountain lion, and you can inject the graphics strings via dsdt or GraphicsEnabler=yes. For systems with both the 9400m and a 2nd graphics co-processor such as the 9200m or g210m, GraphicsEnabler=yes apparently doesn't work as the graphics strings are injected to both PCI devices. See here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=272546&view=findpost&p=1824762 for details.

No, the dell 1340 bios doesn't let you turn off the graphics co-processor.

Also, it sounds like you have it backwards - it's the co-processor that you should be able to turn off not the integrated 9400m.

The dsdt I'm using is detailed in post #1. I have everything broken out into separate documented edits so you should be able to see exactly what was edited.

to bcc9:

So you mean you get your 9400M G work in mountain lion though DSDT,and this DSDT is the "dsdt.lion.v5.zip" in post #1,right?

Since the Alienware brand is designed for PC-game funs and geeks,so in the BIOS of Alienware M17X you can disable ether the integrated 9400m or the graphics co-processor(GTX260M SLI).So if I disable the co-processor(GTX260M SLI) and leave the 9400M G,can I still use your DSDT?

to bcc9:

So you mean you get your 9400M G work in mountain lion though DSDT,and this DSDT is the "dsdt.lion.v5.zip" in post #1,right?

Yes, I upgraded a 1340 with 9400m graphics to mountain lion, and the dsdt solution worked just fine, no change required from osx 10.7. Also, with 10.7, GraphicsEnabler worked with the 9400m too, but some users with the 9200m co-processor complained that it didn't work. I have no such hardware to debug with beyond what you see in earlier posts in this thread.

]

Since the Alienware brand is designed for PC-game funs and geeks,so in the BIOS of Alienware M17X you can disable ether the integrated 9400m or the graphics co-processor(GTX260M SLI).So if I disable the co-processor(GTX260M SLI) and leave the 9400M G,can I still use your DSDT?

Interesting, I would assume you can use the same injection strings for your hardware so long as the strings are being injected to the one PCI graphics device that is actually enabled. I would think GraphicsEnabler=yes would work too.

to bcc9:

In my bios there is a "Graphics Setting" menu under the "Advanced" label,and get in the "Graphics Setting" you can see 4 choices listed as "Hybrid Graphics" "Integrated Graphic" "PCIE Gen2" and "ASPM (L0s/L1)" ,each of them could be enabled or disabled. I assume the "Integrated Graphic" controls the 9400M G and the "PCIE Gen2" controls the GTX260M SLI. What do you think? Is that right?

Just now I disabled the "Hybrid Graphics" and "PCIE Gen2" and left the "Integrated Graphic" in enabled status.

Then I used your "dsdt.lion.v5.zip",I put the DSDT.aml into /Extra,and start the system, the system is OK, I got the right information about the 9400M G in the system report.but resolution cannot be changed and the QE-CI didn't work.Apparently the NVDANV50Hal.kext was not loaded.So I inject the device-ID 086210de of my 9400M G into NVDANV50Hal.kext---info.plist,reatart the OSX system,I saw NVDANV50Hal.kext was loaded and registryed on the chameleon -v mode information but then I got a black screen.What was worse,I tried this DSDT.aml in 10.7 lion,an lion,attempting to drive the 9400M G.another black screen.

So what's your devvice-ID of 9400M G? Is it 086210de?And is there a 9200mgs graphics card in your XPS 1340?

Hi guys and bcc9. How are you? I hope you're fine.

Just want to notive that AGPM kext injector must be changed. The path in AGPM was in the root with MacBookPro5,5.

Now it must be in the Machine/MacBookPro5,5

I'm talking about 10.8

Please add in the first post

Hi guys and bcc9. How are you? I hope you're fine.

Just want to notive that AGPM kext injector must be changed. The path in AGPM was in the root with MacBookPro5,5.

Now it must be in the Machine/MacBookPro5,5

I'm talking about 10.8

Please add in the first post

Hey, long time... I had forgotten to even check that one. Thanks, I've added a new 10.8 version of 9400m_gstate_inject to post #1. Hopefully it works, I don't have a kill-a-watt with me right now to test fully.

z1326,

I'm going to follow up in your alienware thread as your issues seem to not apply to 1340 users.

I also can't get installer gui screen while trying to install 10.8 (1340 with g210m, used alternate dsdt, other files in 1st post is also included in /Extra). GraphicsEnabler does not make a difference as expected. It seems like graphics stop working after boot loading process. and since I can't start installation procedure, I can't (or don't know how to) get a ioreg dump.

Hi again, bcc9. I forgot how I checked out agpm myself without any kill-a-watt and can't check.

I used very long time windows 7, then I moved to arch linux for some time. Then I tried windows 8, understood that it is a {censored} and decided to return back to 10.8 and seems like it was best idea.

I tried to work with Clover bootloader setup, but it doesn't see our mcp79 ahci controller.

xpc - still not work.

So, I use chimera now, seems to be good.

10.8 seems to be much better than 10.7 after some time of usage.

Mac OS X still has worse power management than windows 7 for me, but it's not so critical. Playing with mac models now to make some results about draining the battery.