{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

I don't see much artifacts right now on Sierra but system randomly freezes every 2-3 hour. Music is playing In the background, I can even control the music playing on my hackintosh via Spotify from my iPod touch. Only graphics freezes it doesn't come back even after sleep and wake. I have to reset-reboot every time.

Did you install clover EFI in the EFI partition? share how you do that please :)

Hi ezee, share how you do that, thanks

You have to modify config.plist. Update your serial number(It is blank) as well as drive label name on which mac is installed (in my case "macOS") . 

Fyi... I have deleted Athros kext. Also check my signature and tweak/merge accordingly.

Which kext for audio is working for you guys? 

CLOVER_ON_EPS.zip

You have to modify config.plist. Update your serial number(It is blank) as well as drive label name on which mac is installed (in my case "macOS") . 

Fyi... I have deleted Athros kext. Also check my signature and tweak/merge accordingly.

HDAdisabler + voodoohda are working perfectly for me!!

@ Dr. Hurt

Not for me..I have not touched the two kexts..they are there in kext/others..any changes in config..can you please share latest plist without your serial number. I will do "diff" on them.

config,plist is corrupt, please send again 

Yes please would like to know, that may be wrong in my signature because IDT kext in 10.11 was working fine when installed at /S/L/E, earlier IDT driver was also working in Windows. But I feel if possible lets better to have unbreakable audio.

Install Dell Audio by IDT with this software Inspiron N5110

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah2k9tO7N7pTirwVLzBkwxjUa_kMSQ

Replace in C:\Program Files\IDT tihis file OEM:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah2k9tO7N7pTirwPAP9UsYhsDVG5Tg

Now in control panel show this: 

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ah2k9tO7N7pTirwWdf6o2NoHSMLvFA

Ready and enjoy

Thanks for you reply :) I don't use or work on Windows. I want audio kext working after boot using EFI partition injection method if at all possible and that in UEFI mode.

I can not setup Sierra by follow the video (for Yosemite) in the first page.

MY laptop run Intel i5 2450m and only onboard Intel Video Card (3000).

And then I try replace old folder Clover by your folder but the same result.

I paste the serial to file "config.plist" and try both not copy or replace 2 file "DSDT.aml" and "SSDT-4.aml" to folder "/ACPI/patched"

Can you help me to check it?

This are my steps:

A. First Way (follow yosemite video)

usb1.png

IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

B. Second Way (use your folder clover)

usb2.png

config.png

IMAG0697.jpg

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

I can not setup Sierra by follow the video (for Yosemite) in the first page.

MY laptop run Intel i5 2450m and only onboard Intel Video Card (3000).

And then I try replace old folder Clover by your folder but the same result.

I paste the serial to file "config.plist" and try both not copy or replace 2 file "DSDT.aml" and "SSDT-4.aml" to folder "/ACPI/patched"

Can you help me to check it?

This are my steps:

A. First Way (follow yosemite video)

usb1.png

IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

B. Second Way (use your folder clover)

usb2.png

config.png

IMAG0697.jpg

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

You need install clover with option ESP active and replace efi folder Touchpad don´t work. Use option -v 

Disable UEFI boot in BIOS. Or flash the original legacy BIOS.

Install clover with the following options: (and only those)

1- Install Clover in the ESP

2- Install boot0af in the MBR

3- CloverEFI 64-bit BiosBlockIO

ALWAYS MAKE BACKUP OF YOUR IMPORTANT DATA,,,

If you're hard drive is partitioned as GPT, you will not lose date because you'll not reformat. All you need is to disable UEFI, install clover as per settings above.

And yes, GPT disks have MBR but they're not used the same way as on a legacy system.

Hi Dr. Hurt, could you tell me which is the legacy BIOS what you mean. It is the N5110 A11 from de website to Dell.

it keeps the AppleIntelCPUPM

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifss.png

My Dell Inspiron N5110 Configuration:
-Custom Bios of florin9doi
-i5-2450M with Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia 525M(disabled of course)
-Samsung 850 PRO SSD
- 12 GB RAM (4 GB RAM 1333mhz + 6 GB RAM 1600mhz)

Clover UEFI Boot with ssdt and dsdt applied.

But,I changed OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi to OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi.

You may need to change it and it's in EFI_Partition:/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

Because, I couldn't be able to boot Sierra with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi (which is given on the first post in PreInstall folder)

Mac OS Sierra GM works here, with screen artifacts.

Even though I used the color profile which was created in Yosemite with switchresx(using correct display sync values). In Yosemite it was working fine(no artifacts 99.9 percent of time), even I was removed the switchresx, and wasn't using it for last 1.5 years.

Intel Integrated Graphics with QE/CI works.

Wifi works.

Sound works (Voodoo HDA 2.8.9).

See the edit 2 - But systemwide volume slider doesn't work. (for example,you need to use spotify's volume slider instead. or in-app volume sliders for other apps.)

Mic works.

Camera works.

Card Reader works.

All USBs works.

Battery Percentage works (but I had problems(no battery detected on boots w/out charger plugged-in) with the one I used in Yosemite before, so download the latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext)

Keyboard and Touchpad works (BUT old version which was i used with Yosemite, caused kernel panic. Download the latest VoodooPS2Controller.kext )

And multi touch gestures and scrolling doesn't work while using touchpad.

And Mac doesn't detect it as a touchpad in preferences.

And keyboard function shortcuts sound brightness etc doesn't work.

As a temporary fix : I'm using f4 and f5 keys instead for changing brightness(set from keyboard preferences).

EDIT : also installed switchresx now but apparently it has no effect on artifacts as you can see on the screen. Also System freezes time to time. had to reboot by holding power button.

attachicon.gifUntitled.pngattachicon.gif22.png

EDIT 1.1 : I realized that first screenshot contains 1360x768. I changed it again to 1366x768 with pixel clock 72.25 and then 72.1. will update the post if something changes.

EDIT 2 : Okay i fixed the volume slider problem by changing entries in kext's info.plist(VoodooHDA.kext -> show package contents -> info.plist)

to True value.

<key>VoodooHDAEnableMuteFix</key>
<true/>
<key>VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix</key>
<true/>

Volume is fully working now on Sierra. Also I used AppleHDADisabler.kext to disable applehda. So, sound won't get broken on updates. And I won't need to delete or move applehda.kext in S/L/E.

But touchpad still not recognised correctly, so gestures doesn't work and it's detected as normal mouse.

AND SCREEN ARTIFACTS!!!

hey thank you for the post but i got a problem

sleeping for 10sec before exiting please help 

attachicon.gifss.png

My Dell Inspiron N5110 Configuration:
-Custom Bios of florin9doi
-i5-2450M with Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia 525M(disabled of course)
-Samsung 850 PRO SSD
- 12 GB RAM (4 GB RAM 1333mhz + 6 GB RAM 1600mhz)

Clover UEFI Boot with ssdt and dsdt applied.

But,I changed OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi to OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi.

You may need to change it and it's in EFI_Partition:/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

Because, I couldn't be able to boot Sierra with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi (which is given on the first post in PreInstall folder)

Mac OS Sierra GM works here, with screen artifacts.

Even though I used the color profile which was created in Yosemite with switchresx(using correct display sync values). In Yosemite it was working fine(no artifacts 99.9 percent of time), even I was removed the switchresx, and wasn't using it for last 1.5 years.

Intel Integrated Graphics with QE/CI works.

Wifi works.

Sound works (Voodoo HDA 2.8.9).

See the edit 2 - But systemwide volume slider doesn't work. (for example,you need to use spotify's volume slider instead. or in-app volume sliders for other apps.)

Mic works.

Camera works.

Card Reader works.

All USBs works.

Battery Percentage works (but I had problems(no battery detected on boots w/out charger plugged-in) with the one I used in Yosemite before, so download the latest ACPIBatteryManager.kext)

Keyboard and Touchpad works (BUT old version which was i used with Yosemite, caused kernel panic. Download the latest VoodooPS2Controller.kext )

And multi touch gestures and scrolling doesn't work while using touchpad.

And Mac doesn't detect it as a touchpad in preferences.

And keyboard function shortcuts sound brightness etc doesn't work.

As a temporary fix : I'm using f4 and f5 keys instead for changing brightness(set from keyboard preferences).

EDIT : also installed switchresx now but apparently it has no effect on artifacts as you can see on the screen. Also System freezes time to time. had to reboot by holding power button.

attachicon.gifUntitled.pngattachicon.gif22.png

EDIT 1.1 : I realized that first screenshot contains 1360x768. I changed it again to 1366x768 with pixel clock 72.25 and then 72.1. will update the post if something changes.

EDIT 2 : Okay i fixed the volume slider problem by changing entries in kext's info.plist(VoodooHDA.kext -> show package contents -> info.plist)

to True value.

<key>VoodooHDAEnableMuteFix</key>
<true/>
<key>VoodooHDAEnableVolumeChangeFix</key>
<true/>

Volume is fully working now on Sierra. Also I used AppleHDADisabler.kext to disable applehda. So, sound won't get broken on updates. And I won't need to delete or move applehda.kext in S/L/E.

But touchpad still not recognised correctly, so gestures doesn't work and it's detected as normal mouse.

AND SCREEN ARTIFACTS!!!

hey dude help me i am able to boot but once the apple logo booted sucessfully with the bean the bean rotate infinitly please help

audio device ids (dpci manager)

Audio Device, Sub Device
0x80861C20  , 0x102804B0

I am getting below error using AppleHDAdisabler.kext + voodooHDA.kext(2.8.9 or latest):-

kext org.voodoo.driver.voodooHDA - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily not found.
Can't load kext org.voodoo.driver.voodooHDA - failed to resolve library dependencies.

no panic, but hard to get audio working!

Hey there, very nice you got it going on the N5110!

I have the 17 inch N7110 here and I'm wondering about a couple things.

I've mostly gotten everything to run just fine in El Capitan, minus the power management and those detection stuff in System Report (not a big deal, right?), except just this one thing which seems pretty common and I'm still trying to grasp the situation of what's actually happening.

The HD3000 seems to hang, sadly, in a very popular fashion:

**** Debug info for *possible* hang in MAIN graphics engine ****

Now I've seen in this thread that SwitchResX might help due to panel timings, though I kind of doubt that since the panel in question isn't the same between the 17 and 15 inch models. I will try it nonetheless.

This thread suggests that it might be a connector issue.

This happens only when the GPU is under some heavier load. Sometimes it freezes just by having YouTube open and something else with it, but this one time I got it to run Quake and YouTube and other stuff just fine all at the same time. Now it just likes to freeze when I open up Safari and do a Google search. Really annoying, basically and it is the only issue with this install.

To clarify: I'm using legacy boot Clover with slide=0 and InjectIntel along with a patched DSDT.

So in a nutshell:

Did you have this issue with the SNB driver? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

And secondly, who made the BIOS mods for the VBIOS and the other stuff? I need to know that so I can apply the same patches for my N7110 if it doesn't exist already. (I already do have a unlocked one)

EDIT: Well, SwitchResX indeed seems to have an effect on the 17 inch panel too. With CVT-RB timings it was still freezing, but noticeably less. CVT-RB v2 tones the issue down even further. Still, moving the Safari window around still is kind of sluggish (24ish FPS).

Hey there, very nice you got it going on the N5110!

I have the 17 inch N7110 here and I'm wondering about a couple things.

I've mostly gotten everything to run just fine in El Capitan, minus the power management and those detection stuff in System Report (not a big deal, right?), except just this one thing which seems pretty common and I'm still trying to grasp the situation of what's actually happening.

The HD3000 seems to hang, sadly, in a very popular fashion:

**** Debug info for *possible* hang in MAIN graphics engine ****

Now I've seen in this thread that SwitchResX might help due to panel timings, though I kind of doubt that since the panel in question isn't the same between the 17 and 15 inch models. I will try it nonetheless.

This thread suggests that it might be a connector issue.

This happens only when the GPU is under some heavier load. Sometimes it freezes just by having YouTube open and something else with it, but this one time I got it to run Quake and YouTube and other stuff just fine all at the same time. Now it just likes to freeze when I open up Safari and do a Google search. Really annoying, basically and it is the only issue with this install.

To clarify: I'm using legacy boot Clover with slide=0 and InjectIntel along with a patched DSDT.

So in a nutshell:

Did you have this issue with the SNB driver? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

And secondly, who made the BIOS mods for the VBIOS and the other stuff? I need to know that so I can apply the same patches for my N7110 if it doesn't exist already. (I already do have a unlocked one)

EDIT: Well, SwitchResX indeed seems to have an effect on the 17 inch panel too. With CVT-RB timings it was still freezing, but noticeably less. CVT-RB v2 tones the issue down even further. Still, moving the Safari window around still is kind of sluggish (24ish FPS).

I'm getting random freezes too. Sometime it never freeze during day or even using 2 days with 8 hours usage at least per day. Sometimes it just boots and I open some app then boom freezes. And it never froze while playing games with very high settings. It is just weird.