Zotac NVIDIA 8400GS 512 MB DDR3 Fully Working QE/CI on LION ( 10.7.2 ) Tested

arikstress

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I want to share to all of user of this specified card, NVIDIA 8400GS 512 MB DDR3 ( id 10c3 )

I was using Snow Leopard, from 10.6 to 10.6.8 ---> and it can be full acceleration

Now I just try to install Lion , and updated it to 10.7.2 ---> Yup it's also worked, even step for SL is a bit different with Lion

Preparation and steps:

If you cannot directly install Lion using your card, use your onboard card first. if you can , lets move to the step by installing tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Lion, mine is v. 4.02 . easy choice is, Easy beast option

here is my simple [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] sample installation option :

2m6mxkz.jpg

After installation succeed, open terminal , or you can go to Applications-> Utilities-> Terminal

then type :

sudo nano [b][i]/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist[/i][/b] 

then you will be prompt for your password, input the password. and you will have this screen look alike

2r2aznp.png

note, because i already to change the string value for Kernel Cache, so don't bother about the picture.

ok then, find below sec ion ,

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
       <string>Yes</string>

Change the strings value , from Yes become No

to save , press Ctrl+X

then you will asked to answer yes or no, Press "Y" on your keyboard to confirm

then you will asked again to write the filename, you can backup and duplicate but you also can replace modified file into that file by ignore it and press Enter or Return button on keyboard.

If you wonder why, this is because better if we try configuration and not working, it's better to use cache later after you succeed and put string Yes again after finish .

okay, after you doing this, now install NVEnabler64.kext , you may try using your stock next from internet which is working while you were using Snow Leopard, or you may use file that i include in this tutorial.

NVEnabler64.kext.zip

copy this KEXT , you can use manually with terminal, or finder, but make sure after you copy it to /System/Library/Extensions you fix permissions with diskutilty.

the other method is using KextUtility, simply drag that Kext file into KextUtility icon, and let it do the rest.

(use kextUtility for lion )

Last step, now you can go to /System/Library/Extensions/ , pick NVDANV50Hal.kext

1zy7nv4.png

then

ng4jr5.png

and go into Info.plist file inside Content folder , then you may use your text editor, such as text wrangler or something else.

note: you can do it with nano in terminal, just like when you change parameter as shown above step.

to use terminal way, type this on terminal

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

]

and input this string value 0x10c310de&0xfff0fff under <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

eg : see green color

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
                       <string>
                               [color="#2E8B57"]0x10c310de&0xfff0ffff[/color]
                               0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff
                               0x019010de&0xfff0ffff
                               0x040010de&0xfff0ffff
                               0x042010de&0xfff0ffff
                               0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff
                               0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff
                               0x060010de&0xffe0ffff
                               0x062010de&0xffe0ffff
                               0x064010de&0xffe0ffff
                               0x06e010de&0xfff0ffff
                               0x086010de&0xffe0ffff
                               0x08a010de&0xffe0ffff
                               0x0a2010de&0xffa0ffff
                               0x0ca010de&0xffe0ffff
                       </string>

you all done now, press Ctrl + X to save it, answer with Y again, and press Enter or Return on keyboard.

Finish annnd... Let's Reboot now.

if you were using onboard vga, don't forget to change BIOS setting to use PCIE card.

in Chimera bootloader, try choose verbose first or using -v parameter.

if it failed, then choose ignore caches option or using -F parameter.

or you can do both, verbose and ignore caches, using parameter -v -F while choose boot in Chimera boot loader

Finger crossed, be patient and wait.

In verbose mode, you will see that NVENABLER debug and says it's failed, that's normal.

then you will see that NVDANV50Hal Loaded perfectly . u have to be happy now..

If you still stuck and have kernel panic, don't just reboot your pc, but TURN OFF the power. Hold the power button for maybe 3seconds or more, then after shutdown Power On Back your cpu

NOTE :

sometimes, hackintosh didn't want to just reset, better power off first then power on again.

Symptom :

• If you can see apple boot logo properly shown, then you should be happy now that your card must be working properly now
  • If you can see Grey only and few blinking, but mouse cursor shows proper resolution and not like usually you see at 1024x768 graphic mode, then you also should be happy that your card will working.

Voila, now your 8400GS working like a charm...

now, go back again to put UseKernelCache to "Yes" again, because after you succeed making your graphic card working full accelerated, the system is keeping that cache, unless you still set it to "No" see above tutorial when modify /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

For me, in system profiler will shows as "Unknown Nvidia Card"

well it doesn't matter for me since it's working flawlessly without complicating myself with install EFI, put EFI String, etc. Some people like using EFI, but apparently i don't use that way.

now you don't even need to put in /Extra/Extensions folder for that next. just use that next to lure out and make system load NVDAN50Hal.kext at system boot. you also can use via VGA port, HDMI, and DVI. take a pic, i still don't try using multi monitor... so be free and report it to this forum.

here is my preview

eqbeq8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Dear arikstress,

many thanks for your precious post! It proved very useful to me, since I finally managed to enable QE/CI on my nVidia card following your instructions, after many sleepless nights! :)

Thank you for taking the time to post your guide!

:)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...