[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

Any ideas what is wrong here?

t420 Intel graphics, no discrete adapter.

Using BIOS 1.37 whitelisted modded BIOS with modded DSDT.

Verbose boot ends with:

Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate Failed [181000]

DSMOS has arrived

macx_swapon SUCCESS

It _does_ complete the boot as I can hear volume changing from the speakers, I can blindly log in and I can even reboot by pressing Power 'r' Enter.

So I know its not frozen. The graphics ID is 8086 0126.

I have tried with and without all AppleIntel* kexts on the system.

I have tried with and without graphicsenabler=yes / no

I have tried PCIRootUID=0 /1 /2

I have tried DSDT with only RTC fix applied.

If anyone cares, I have also attached my DSDT for reference.

I changed the name of the graphics device to GFX0, removed references to cores that I dont have.

Matched the other Madl0n mods that he posted in another dsdt for the t420.

Hi Ludacrisvp,

You can check this URL: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28851&sid=226821bbd11d66837a0f00229b33ce1c for more details about your issue.

It seems we both have the same configuration, I passed through this step, and used an already modified dsdt (in the above post) but causing another issues

I would prefer if you can patch yours to include the dual link fix, and please report back if it's working with you

Hi Ludacrisvp,

You can check this URL: http://www.tonymacx8...a0f00229b33ce1c for more details about your issue.

It seems we both have the same configuration, I passed through this step, and used an already modified dsdt (in the above post) but causing another issues

I would prefer if you can patch yours to include the dual link fix, and please report back if it's working with you

Thanks, however I had already added the dual link patch to the DSDT that I posted above.

If you could test it out for me and let me know if it works for you then I could at least rule that out and then I would know if I need to change the boot loader or something with the kexts on the system.

Thanks, however I had already added the dual link patch to the DSDT that I posted above.

If you could test it out for me and let me know if it works for you then I could at least rule that out and then I would know if I need to change the boot loader or something with the kexts on the system.

I have already tried yours and it didn't work for me, got me a black screen after booting, maybe you can try the DSDT i posted earlier, but still I am having some troubles about it, always get a self assigned IP and static IPs are not working

I have already tried yours and it didn't work for me, got me a black screen after booting, maybe you can try the DSDT i posted earlier, but still I am having some troubles about it, always get a self assigned IP and static IPs are not working

I gave your DSDT a shot and still same results. :-/

Display Port doesn`t work, throughs KP with AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.

Any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT4 - Video hangs are fixed! After hunting all over, I found some hints about new kexts in 10.7.3 that might be causing some pain. I removed all AppleIntelHD* out of /S/L/E and rebuilt the caches.

I put that in my post. I had to remove all of the extensions or I had a multitude of graphical issues. No problems since removal aside from a few artifacts when booting a VM in parallels, and I cannot for whatever reason use a screensharing application my company created. It works fine in the java version of that app, but the native app doesn't work at all (sharing/view other peoples screens). It might help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi nvrmore100,

Thank you for the comment.

Yes I did as you said it in EDIT4 but problem still here, If I connect DP then after boot laptop LCD shows blank screen, external monitor doesn`t receive signal and it seems that whole system is frozen.

I tried RGB but first time resolution wasn`t satisfactory I tried to change it and now it doesnt work at all, I mean system sees external monitor but shows nothing on it.

Any ideas, Console doesn`t show any problems or I cannot find any.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

For proper DP out you should patch AppleIntelHD3000 to correct it's outs? more info on tonymac should help

Hi nvrmore100,

Thank you for the comment.

Yes I did as you said it in EDIT4 but problem still here, If I connect DP then after boot laptop LCD shows blank screen, external monitor doesn`t receive signal and it seems that whole system is frozen.

I tried RGB but first time resolution wasn`t satisfactory I tried to change it and now it doesnt work at all, I mean system sees external monitor but shows nothing on it.

Any ideas, Console doesn`t show any problems or I cannot find any.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic guide, got everything working as in the first post. One thing though, the

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB that came with 10.7.3 combo update works fine for my configuration, both digital outputs in the dock work (Displayport and DVI). With your patched version, the digital ports on the dock don't work.

Thanks again,

crumpo

Hi Manwe, great post.

Just a question on your last update. Now, we can used the patched AppleHDA, instead of VoodooHDA.

I'm using the dsdt you had available before. Do I need to fix anything on the dsdt or just remove VoodooHDA and install AppleHDA?

I have done this, remove VoodooHDA and install AppleHDA, but get no sound.

If an edit of the dsdt is needed, could you attach the new dsdt with this change?

Thanks,

AJ

Update concerned AppleHDA sound on lenovo T/W series from me

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=274218&view=findpost&p=1822424

Hi Manwe, great post.

Just a question on your last update. Now, we can used the patched AppleHDA, instead of VoodooHDA.

I'm using the dsdt you had available before. Do I need to fix anything on the dsdt or just remove VoodooHDA and install AppleHDA?

I have done this, remove VoodooHDA and install AppleHDA, but get no sound.

If an edit of the dsdt is needed, could you attach the new dsdt with this change?

Thanks,

AJ

• Like 1

Just edit your DSDT with my code in HDEF section and patch AppleHDA (now attached in my post)

Does this need a new DSTD or AppleHDA.kext? If so, could you please attach it here?

Thanks,

Crumpo

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all, I started a new thread for my DSDT edits (and new download link), but the page link is hard to see in the big block of text (even I can't find it sometimes): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=279148&st=0&p=1821374entry1821374

Joshhh's information looks correct also.

@crumpo: i deleted that output since i didn't know what it connected to (i don't have a dock). I've posted here what changes I made, so you should have no difficulty editing it for yourself: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259705&st=160&p=1822063entry1822063

It should definitely work, I use some cheap from ebay and it works fine with HDD speed about 90/110mbps w/r speed. This one should work too

And ExpressCard should work with other types of cards not only usb 3.0, I use one with SiliconImage controller to connect my DIY DAS storage case and it works almost 42/7 from jan 2012

I was thinking about getting this USB 3.0 pci-e card for my Hackintosh T420, wasn't sure if it would work. Has anyone tried the PCI-e 34 port?

Ok, great to hear. Thanks! Should I be worried about drivers though? because I know that a lot of them come with a cd to instal drivers on windows, should my hackintosh be fine?

It should definitely work, I use some cheap from ebay and it works fine with HDD speed about 90/110mbps w/r speed. This one should work too

And ExpressCard should work with other types of cards not only usb 3.0, I use one with SiliconImage controller to connect my DIY DAS storage case and it works almost 42/7 from jan 2012

I use PXHC.kext driver for NEC USB 3.0 card . works fine

Ok, great to hear. Thanks! Should I be worried about drivers though? because I know that a lot of them come with a cd to instal drivers on windows, should my hackintosh be fine?

Thanks, I went a head and bought one of those.

Don't know exactly about this(may be on ASMedia chipset that doesn't work in many cases) but I bought one of this cards with NEC in search http://www.ebay.com/...ort+USB+3.0+nec

On another note,

I have noticed is that my camera worked when I first installed Lion. But now if I go into photo booth, skype, google chat, etc. and go to the camera setting it will be set to integrated, and my little green light will come on next to my web cam, but the picture never comes up.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Sorry all, I started a new thread for my DSDT edits (and new download link), but the page link is hard to see in the big block of text (even I can't find it sometimes): http://www.insanelym...4

Joshhh's information looks correct also.

@crumpo: i deleted that output since i didn't know what it connected to (i don't have a dock). I've posted here what changes I made, so you should have no difficulty editing it for yourself: http://www.insanelym...3

Awesome. any chance you could include Joshhh's patch in the DSDT you have posted at some time? I'm not as tech savy myself when it comes to DSDT hacking - tried it and my machine didn't boot to a gui anymore...chances are good that I did something stupid on the way :| And your config seems to be pretty close to mine.

Also I played with the connector configuration, but found out, that if I leave the dock connectors in, the GUI will stutter every now and then. My solution is to use your patched kext for when I'm on the road and the one that came with OSX when I'm working from home and my T420 is tucked away in the dock.

On a sidenote: Has anyone updated to 10.7.4 so far? Are there any caveats?

Thanks,

Crumpo

Has anyone had any luck going to 10.7.4? I tried it a few days ago and can't for the life of me get my networking to work. I also couldn't boot without using the kernel from 10.7.3, would panic immediately. With the older kernel, it would load up, but no networking at all.

I use it for work, so in the end did a TM restore to get back up and running without too much tinkering, but I tried:

Replacing my kexts with those I backed up

Copying all the kexts from /Extra/Extensions back to /S/L/E

Everything appears fine, except the networking end...which is pretty important. :wink2:

Awesome. any chance you could include Joshhh's patch in the DSDT you have posted at some time? I'm not as tech savy myself when it comes to DSDT hacking - tried it and my machine didn't boot to a gui anymore...chances are good that I did something stupid on the way :| And your config seems to be pretty close to mine.

Also I played with the connector configuration, but found out, that if I leave the dock connectors in, the GUI will stutter every now and then. My solution is to use your patched kext for when I'm on the road and the one that came with OSX when I'm working from home and my T420 is tucked away in the dock.

On a sidenote: Has anyone updated to 10.7.4 so far? Are there any caveats?

Thanks,

Crumpo

My new DSDT already included the equivalent of Joshhh's changes. However, it is essential that you remove VoodooHDA and rebuild the system cache first (touch /S/L/E), or it will conflict with AppleHDA and cause a KP at boot.