ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

Hallo im trying to install the unlocker but whene i try to install it in th ssh terminal i get this /vmfs/volumes/4e808144-c479f8e7-5699-001b219f3623 # tar xzvf unlock-esxi500-469512-1.tgz

tar: short read

So what am i doing wrong,logged in as root and coppied the file with cyberduck can some one please help me.

Greetings silvano

Hallo im trying to install the unlocker but whene i try to install it in th ssh terminal i get this /vmfs/volumes/4e808144-c479f8e7-5699-001b219f3623 # tar xzvf unlock-esxi500-469512-1.tgz

tar: short read

So what am i doing wrong,logged in as root and coppied the file with cyberduck can some one please help me.

Greetings silvano

silvano,

May be a typo but the command needs to be tar -xzvf unlocker-esxi500-469512.tgz, if that does not work can you unzip/urar the file on your Windows PC, if you can unrar the contents locally, have a look at the following post from ealier in the topic, it resolved a similar problem for me.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1751068

Hallo Mac of son,

It worked for me also did the things in that posted so thx!

Now trying too install osx lion but for now it just on the screen with the apple logo also tried in the command shel

with some boot options that i read in the forum but no reuslts.

Shell> fs0:

fs0\:> cd \usr\standalone\i386

fs0:\usr\standalone\i386> dir

there you should find the boot.efi executable to boot just type

fs0:\usr\standalone\i386> boot -v npci=0x2000

or whatever other options you might want to pass to the kernel (-x -f etc etc)

Mayb try to install 10.6?

Greetings silvano

Hallo again :) well i've been trying... and tryimg but it worked im installing osx right know and it goes alright,i think the problem was that i had too put the vm on lion i didnt saw that you could do that and i maked a new copy of dmg too usb in osx. so i'm really happy that it works thnx for the advise and the darwin unlocker.

P.s i think that the link in this post isn't good i downloaded my from the other post about installing lion on esxi....

Greetings Silvano

Anyone successfully updated to 10.7.2?

No! I had a perfectly-working 10.7 (and successfully updated to 10.7.1) system on the latest version of ESXi 5.0. Mindlessly installed updates today and saw that 10.7.2 was in the list. Rather than stop it, take a snapshot, and install the update again (or better yet, just hold off altogether until more is known) I just let it continue. Everything installed correctly but after the required reboot I just get the grey screen with the apple logo.

I believe it's the same issue with VMWare Workstation 8.0 (see other thread on that).

Excuse for double posting, but the other post is not getting much attention... :)

Hi,

I'm about to try and install Mac OS X Lion in a new 8 node cluster and I'd like to make sure I understood everything...

By the way, each node is made up of two Quad Core Xeon E5620 CPUs with Intel 5520 chipsets.

I'd appreciate any corrections. This is what I have done so far:

- Install ESXi 5 in each of the 8 machines.

- Prepare a bootable USB for Mac OS X Lion using "Lion DiskMaker".

This is what I understand that I have to do now:

- Patch each of the ESXi hosts with the unlocker.

- Create a new Mac OS X 10.6 VM in one of the hosts using vSphere Client.

- Start the VM and connect the bootable USB drive to it using vSphere Client.

- Enter the BIOS of the VM using "Boot to BIOS" option of vSphere Client.

(this is where I lost track of what I'm supposed to do)

- Somehow add "-v npci=0x2000" to the boot process (where do I enter this information?)

Then I will be able to perform the install of Mac OS X Lion. After install, I should change the VM type to Mac OS X 10.7, install VMWare tools and finally clone the VM to the other nodes in the cluster. Am I right? Can I use vSphere Client to export the VM and deploy it in the other nodes?

I'm sorry if the process is detailed somewhere else, I have been unable to find a "guide".

Thanks!

LP.

Hey Donk! It appears that the link for the 469512 build gives a file of 0 bytes in size. Would you be able to re-upload it? I've tried downloading it from multiple browsers and more than one computer. It seems it's always the same result.

Nevermind, I manually updated to the most recent build of ESXi 5.

The 469512 build based patch download a 0 byte file. I'm updating to the new build.

I'm migrating from esxi 4.1 to 5.0, any known issues moving a SLserver VM from 4.1 to 5.0? Anyhow 'll let you know as soon I complete the update process.

Edit: Done the update something odd happened. Without applying the patch yet, I try to create a new VM and in the other tab of the guest os selection there are already the Apple Mac OS X 10.6 (64 bit) and (32 bit) entries. How could this be possible? I have the .tar patch loaded in the datastore, maybe installing the update also installed the unlocker?

Hi oegie,

I didn't know that... Thank you.

Now I'm trying to install lion but it hang on the apple logo. Find out that lion has issue with ide drive so I'm now creating a bootable usb install but reading on the other topic I understand that I have to enter the vm setting and select boot options--> BIOS. I have now selected EFI and the bios option is gray and can't be selected. How can i select that option?

Edit: Another question... After creating a usb with lion disk maker it's obviously formatted in macos extended. How can I mount this drive on windows and in vsphere client? I guess I'm missing something here...

Hi,

as for my understanding you do not need to change settings and also you do not mount the image inside your Windows. You just have to export the usb stick to the VM by using the vSphere client. Can't check the name of the menu option right now. Maybe someone else can post it. Should be somewhere in the guest menu. Then you reset the vm and the installer should start.

bye,

oegie

Yep I understood how to "push" the USB to the vm from the client. However, when I tried to reset the machine, vsphere unplugged the USB from the vm... Don't know, I'll try again later, I've not access to the server right know! I'll let you know!

Ok, I managed to boot from the usb. Now I'm installing lion. Thank you for your tips!

Now I have to wait!

Edit: All done, but I have upgraded to 10.7.2 before reading that there's an issue... Anyhow this was only for testing, I've to wait for 3 more sas drives for deploying the final server.

Awesome, got 10.7.2 Lion Server installed via the USB method. 2 quick things....

1.) Restore BaseSystem.dmg to a vmdk seems like it should work but I always get "Still waiting for root device" booting with -v npci=0x2000. Is there something I'm missing for reinstalls?

2.) Anyway to have a higher resolution without passing through a graphics card and installing Chameleon? Would love a resolution higher than 1152x864. Also, saw in another VMware thread that there might be 3d support in workstation? Any chance that could happen here too?

HI All

Thanks for this thread . I am running ESx 5.0 Build 469512 on a whitebox with intel i7 processor. I have successfully installed Macosx SL and Lion (USB Install). Vmware tools works on SL but I have not beena able to install on lion. When i try to install tools i dont see drive mounted.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks