Mac OS X Lion (Retail) on HP HDX16 / HDX18 / DV6 / DV7

JBraddock

34 posts in this topic

Okay, here's an update: I installed Lion 10.7.2 and while VoodooHDA works it causes coreaudiod process to go nuts. So I decided to use JBraddock's method suggested here (as I have a HDX 16). I extracted the DSDT using DSDTSE tool, added the code for Audio above, compiled it, placed the newly generated DSDT.aml under /Extra and installed AppleHDA.kext using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I regret to report that this method didn't work for me and the audio didn't get enabled. Any suggestions ?

• 5 weeks later...

Hello guys,

There is one more fix that I want to share, which is to get graphic power management working. Without it, as you may have noticed, the graphic performance is really bad on Lion.

Stay tuned.

Hey JBraddock!

I was wondering if you can share this?

I'm having huge problems with Adobe Flash and HD video, maybe related.

Cheers!

Hey JBraddock!

I was wondering if you can share this?

I'm having huge problems with Adobe Flash and HD video, maybe related.

Cheers!

My apologies guys. I don't know why but I didn't get notifications for the posts you'd posted. I'll post it tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey JBraddock, first of all thanks for sharing this guide with us! I have an HP HDX 16 and I want to try and install Lion on it.

The problem I have is that I am a complete noob when it comes to Hackintosh (not with computers in general though) so I'm a bit lost with this guide.

It looks like you are talking about patching or fixing things with an installation, but you don't talk about installing Lion itself... care to share some tips on how can do that in the first place and how do I apply your patches afterwards??

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

10.7.3 is safe to update. However, if you have problems with wifi, bluetooth or firewire (all are somehow connected), please, for now, use IO80211Family.kext of 10.7.2. It fixes all the problem.

Secondly, in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist, make sure you the following line, which fixes the disappearance of spinning wheel on boot.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>

You could download graphic power management for 10.7.3 from the first post.

@lothar, installation of Lion is very well documented on the internet and I did not want to go through the same process. Basically, use this guide and restore Lion to a usb drive. Once you've finished do not use the kexts or plist files in that post, instead use the ones in the first post. That's it.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I have a Geforce 130M GPU and I am also having that no working display black screen thing whenever I upgrade beyond 10.7.2. I tried and I have no idea how to edit the DSDT file. Can anyone post one that already has the Geforce 130M code in it already please? And does anyone know of a kext(s) that will get the webcam, card reader, bluetooth and battery working again please & thank you?

• 5 months later...

have managed to get most of the things working in Mountain Lion with the DSDT & kexts provided originally by JBraddock (BIG thanks to you, sir!).

Here's a summary of the functionality:

1. Battery Indicator works.

2. Bluetooth works (shows active in the title bar w/o any new kexts; haven't fully tested it out though).

3. Audio in & out works (doesn't work after resuming from sleep, as JBraddock pointed out earlier). There seems to be a persistent problem with sound assertion (based on boot time messages). Audio doesnt work rightaway at system startup; need to adjust the volume to get it functional. At times, the speakers blip start blipping randomly every few minutes or so; happens only when there is nothing being played.

4. Sleep works.

5. Wi-Fi does _not_ work (Intel 5100 AGN, probably never will as there are no drivers available for it).

6. Multitouch gestures: Only 2-finger scroll (doesn't work perfectly); haven't used the ps2 kexts from JBraddock's 1st post but multitouch still doesnt work beyond an imperfect 2-finger scroll.

7. Brightness slider works; thanks to the Generic Brightness kext from the 1st post.

8. Used Graphics Power Management kext from 1st post and 720p movies look somewhat smoother (no jerks/artifacts unlike earlier). CPU usage though still stays around 20-30% during playback. Not sure though if the latter is a problem.

Will post more details, if necessary.

Thanks,

-J.

Edited by jondav2006

• 3 months later...

I want to thank JBraddock, for his contribution as well..

I'm happy to report that I also created a smooth Mountain Lion (10.8.2) installation on my HDX 16 (9600GT M 1050ev model but will work on other models as well)

For my installation i used Chameleon version v2.1 r2070

Everything works except the intel 5100 WIFI card which I knew beforehand not to bother with (but I have a really cheap compatible Atheros HP card on order) so for now I'm using a Ralink usb WIFI stick. Also as said before touchpad functionality is a bit limited to generic use but then again I use a mouse, I care not. :star_sunglasses:

More specifically:

Audio is fine, (The top control touch slider works fine) All flash content and no crashes or crackles with only a small one when shutting down...you'll have to use these Kexts I found, put them in System\Library\Extensions. Backup first and then delete AppleHDA.kext first otherwise you'll get an immediate kernel panic:

IDT 92HD71B7hdx16Audio.zip

In extra\extensions I used this collection of kexts (including the keyboard and touchpad ones and plugins for hardware monitoring

ExtraExt.zip

For 2 Power States (I haven't bothered that much with that yet) use that SSDT in Extra:

SSDT.aml.zip

This is my chameleon bootconfig file in Extra:

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

This the HWMonitor App I use (Thanks to the team developing this amazing utility) that's compatible with these plugins. You can set the application to start at login if you wish

HWMonitor.zip

Thats' the DSDT I use, it contains nvidia GT 9600GT changes so that you won't get a black screen at boot:

dsdt.aml.zip

That's the absolutely essential kext you'll need (System\Library\Extensions) so that you'll be to able to boot normally and not get and endless spinning wheel and Apple Logo at bootime or kernel panic at verbose mode backup the original one delete it and then install this one using kext utility or just copy it and repair permissions:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

Ok that's what you'll need..I had some other issues due to getting a new Scorpio Blue disk 500Gb with 4k sectors so there was some minimal terminal work to be done to have chameleon boot properly (Let me know if you need help with that)...Other than that I used a ready made Image of mountain lion which i restored from another Mac using superduper...

Cheers!

P.S: One more thing I had some issues with all my memory being properly recognized and weird auto sleep issue just before login...So I used an old windows installation on that laptop from another disk to update the bios and everything worked.

dsdt.aml.zip

ExtraExt.zip

SSDT.aml.zip

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

HWMonitor.zip

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

IDT 92HD71B7hdx16Audio.zip