• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

xopher

xopher

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

How did you upgrade to ML ? Just with the App Store Mountain Lion installer (with no patching), or you have been installing with usb stick ?
I managed to install Lion 10.7.2. But now i am stuck to upgrade.

I created a separate installer partition on my SSD, but the process is basically the same as if you make an USB stick installer. I made a clean installation, partly because of the problems I've been having with Lion (didn't want them to make the transition), and partly because I like to clean things up now and again. I followed this general installation guide:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280756

But it would be nice if someone would update this guide to Mountain Lion as well.

Edit:

Is it possible to fix the CMOS-reset bug re-introduced in 10.7.4(?) and still persisting in 10.8 by editing the DSDT somehow? Because now I had to "patch" AppleRTC.kext manually afterwards.

Edited by xopher, 31 July 2012 - 10:03 AM.

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Managed to upgrade to ML too. But it's not that smooth as Lion. An app called Reportcrash is running all the time. Something is crashing. Perhaps something about core location or like that. And i can't load Privacy settings, it hangs. I had to disable Gatekeeper with command line.
CPU runs 15-20 Celsius hotter. I have Q8200. Do you have working ssdt settings ? I could need one, cause i am still struggling to get it right.
I had no problems with CMOS resets until now. That might works well in my DSDT at least.

Update :
I am not that sure that CPU is hotter because of any settings changed, rather because it's never idle ! Something gets crashing all the time. Console is overloaded with the same error message. Every 9 seconds a task respawns without success. Something needs to get shut down. More info here : http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1839656

Update2:
Solved! :) more here : http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1839692
I had to remove a plist from LaunchAgents folder to prevent that process from respawning (com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua).
Also Spotlight indexer was indexing my ntfs drives, so i had to turn that off in Control Panel. Now CPU has cooled back and idling again! :)

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Is it possible to fix the CMOS-reset bug re-introduced in 10.7.4(?) and still persisting in 10.8 by editing the DSDT somehow? Because now I had to "patch" AppleRTC.kext manually afterwards.

Chamelon Wizard is a great tool : http://www.insanelym...howtopic=257464
Perhaps it can help.
Here is my DSDT. It might not contain all fixes possible, but it works fine for me.
Maybe check the differences, you might find something.

Attached Files

jedighost

jedighost

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
HELP needed. With the guide, I have managed to install Lion GM (10.7.0), onto a GPT partition on a separate HDD. I have F13e BIOS (EP45-UD3R), and GTX570. The only thing not working now is the monitor resolution (and i guess the VGA acceleration neither). I had to use Chameleon 1812 (built into the Wizard), and npci=0x2000 to boot properly. Right now GraphicsEnabler=1.

How exactly do I proceed to have fully working video, acceleration and monitors? I have 10.7.3 Combo update downlaoded, I have the official Nvidia Quattro 10.7.3 driver downloaded, none of them installed yet.

What do I need to do, step by step please to have a 10.7.3 system fully operational? I need 100% working graphics.

Thank you in advance!

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
You might need to add your device id into in NVDAGF100Hal.kext.
http://wiki.osx86pro...L_10.7.0#NVIDIA

or try this
Installed GTX Enabler.pkg (found here: http://www.mediafire...92i32u5vcze4oci)
http://wiki.osx86pro...L_10.7.2#NVIDIA

or this
##### 4.4.1
Graphics > NVIDIA 4XX/5XX Support
/
##### 4.5.1
Graphics > OpenCl Enabler
http://wiki.osx86pro...L_10.7.4#NVIDIA

also netkas.org has always some infos for new ati and nvidia cards.

spalax2001

spalax2001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I followed your guide for my config (Cartri bios with EP45 DS4) and it work fine (just sometime some KP).
Now I would like to install ML and I want to know if I can follow your guide to prepare my USB key like Lion (same Kext same config..)?
Thanks you for your reply
Spalax2001

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
these guides are overrated. i installed lion from iatkos l2 distro. i only had to choose the right options at install.
only my nvidia card was not working ok. i did find a dsdt solution for that though, and it was ok then.
next step, there is a dvd and an usb image of ml on pbay. i used the dvd image and upgraded with that to ml. i had to use some special boot flag options because the installer was kernel panicking. but then it was ok, and went on fine. had some minor problems then with ml as listed here, but the drivers and the system was basically fine from beginning.

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

these guides are overrated. i installed lion from iatkos l2 distro. i only had to choose the right options at install.
only my nvidia card was not working ok. i did find a dsdt solution for that though, and it was ok then.
next step, there is a dvd and an usb image of ml on pbay. i used the dvd image and upgraded with that to ml. i had to use some special boot flag options because the installer was kernel panicking. but then it was ok, and went on fine. had some minor problems then with ml as listed here, but the drivers and the system was basically fine from beginning.

Overrated to YOU, but a lot of us want to know exactly what is being put into our machines and not have it all done for us by some distro. I can tell you that my machine is more stable and never crashes thanks to the fact that I learned how to install everything vanilla like this guide teaches you to do and I am the better for it. You should not have to find a DSDT solution, you should know how to create one yourself since using someone else's DSDT could easily introduce problems as even a single motherboard line can use different chipsets and BIOSes which the DSDT is based on.

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Overcomplicated too. Why not use a distro which is made already by pro people ? I don't want to mess with osinstall and other things others already worked out, and distributed that.It's ok, if someone needs to make it on his own. But since i found that other way which looked easier, gone for that and worked well. I was still in the dark with what things to choose at install, but i made right choices after some thinking. I was messing with boot0 and chameleon installing with snow leopard. Not anymore here, installer made the work just fine. And by the way I have a self made dsdt. It was working fine with snow leopard. But then with lion black screen. Others had this too, it was a specifiic issue with my nvidia card. Making "your own dsdt" is pain in the a s s anyway. Finding solutions, since there is no clear way, just patches here and there, and good luck finding the ones you need.

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Overcomplicated too. Why not use a distro which is made already by pro people ? I don't want to mess with osinstall and other things others already worked out, and distributed that.It's ok, if someone needs to make it on his own. But since i found that other way which looked easier, gone for that and worked well. I was still in the dark with what things to choose at install, but i made right choices after some thinking. I was messing with boot0 and chameleon installing with snow leopard. Not anymore here, installer made the work just fine. And by the way I have a self made dsdt. It was working fine with snow leopard. But then with lion black screen. Others had this too, it was a specifiic issue with my nvidia card. Making "your own dsdt" is pain in the a s s anyway. Finding solutions, since there is no clear way, just patches here and there, and good luck finding the ones you need.

One easy answer, because no 2 systems are alike. You want easy? Use Kakewalk for Mtn Lion. Chameleon does use an installer you know so you don't have to do things by hand. PS, if your DSDT was working in Snow Leopard just like mine was and then black screen in Mtn Lion, try removing ALL graphics edits from your DSDT file which is what I had to do. And make sure and remove all enablers. The newest versions (I'm at 2042) of Chameleon do a great job of detecting graphics cards. I too have an Nvidia card, 8800GT 512 from eVGA. Works flawlessly in Mountain Lion.

PS, for those who are wondering, upgrading to 10.8.1 was easy through software update. Didn't even have to work on my audio.

xopher

xopher

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
As bigpoppa206, I updated to 10.8.1 without any problems using Software Update. Would be nice if every update was like this.

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Also curious if any of you are upgrading to a newer board and what you are thinking of getting? This one has been pretty easy.

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

One easy answer, because no 2 systems are alike. You want easy? Use Kakewalk for Mtn Lion. Chameleon does use an installer you know so you don't have to do things by hand. PS, if your DSDT was working in Snow Leopard just like mine was and then black screen in Mtn Lion, try removing ALL graphics edits from your DSDT file which is what I had to do. And make sure and remove all enablers. The newest versions (I'm at 2042) of Chameleon do a great job of detecting graphics cards. I too have an Nvidia card, 8800GT 512 from eVGA. Works flawlessly in Mountain Lion.

PS, for those who are wondering, upgrading to 10.8.1 was easy through software update. Didn't even have to work on my audio.

I don't trust that much Kakewalk. That's also just an installer i guess which drops in a dsdt, the few important kexts and installs chameleon.
My Snow Leopard died when i installed a "proven dsdt" for my mobo from tonymac's dsdt database.
After bootup "PCI Configuration Begin" message appeared and it started scratching my drive. I pressed reset, then after boot even windows wanted to chkdsk the ntfs partitions. The hfs partition became highly damaged, with inaccessable folders. So that's it about "proven stuff". The lesson is, never try to fix something which is more or less working. My own made DSDT was better as it looks. And now after some editing the nvidia section, the black screen is issue is gone, so i am not bothering doing any changes now anymore.. :)
I am about to upgrade to 10.8.1 soon..

Update : Uprading was flawless :) Like on a real Mac.

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I don't trust that much Kakewalk. That's also just an installer i guess which drops in a dsdt, the few important kexts and installs chameleon.
My Snow Leopard died when i installed a "proven dsdt" for my mobo from tonymac's dsdt database.
After bootup "PCI Configuration Begin" message appeared and it started scratching my drive. I pressed reset, then after boot even windows wanted to chkdsk the ntfs partitions. The hfs partition became highly damaged, with inaccessable folders. So that's it about "proven stuff". The lesson is, never try to fix something which is more or less working. My own made DSDT was better as it looks. And now after some editing the nvidia section, the black screen is issue is gone, so i am not bothering doing any changes now anymore.. :)
I am about to upgrade to 10.8.1 soon..

You are saying the same thing as me. YES, do your own custom work and you will be better for it. I never would use anything from that site you mentioned. I built my own USB installer from Mtn Lion and it rocked! My nVidia 8800GT is rock solid again.

Eliade

Eliade

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Also curious if any of you are upgrading to a newer board and what you are thinking of getting? This one has been pretty easy.

Well I just bought my new system, receiving it tomorrow.
Keeping everything else, including video card ( 9600gt ), I'm not a big gamer, maybe down the road I'll upgrade but as long as it plays 1080p movies flawlessly I'm happy.
Just upgraded to
- i5-3570k ( almost same as i7-3770k but without hyper-threading, it might be a good thing but didn't have that extra $100 for it )
- corsair vengeance 2x8gb (CML16GX3M2A1600C10), the low profile version, in case I upgrade the included cpu cooler to a monster size one ( the timing aren't as good as the 4x4gb package for the same price, but didn't think this would be really noticeable ) so that I can eventually and easily upgrade to 32gb down the road, ( Firefox, Lightroom and photoshop running together are going to be happy )
- the gigabyte ep45-ud3r was good with me, ( unlike the shuttle computers that eventually all died, sad because they ran osx rather well, those good quality capacitor in the gigabyte does play a role and isn't just marketing on the box) so decided to stick with them with a GA-Z77-DS3H, cheaper end of the available spectrum, but probably best buy for the money. At least it is latest technology ( USB 3 is onboard, don't know yet if it works with osx, but since apple has it in the new MacBook Pro I believe it should be working out of the box, the usb3 being run by the intel chipset and the CPU, no third party chipset)

A rather fresh computer under the hood for $410 isn't too bad. Cheaper and much much faster than a current Mac mini. ( of course recycling the case, psu, hard drive and video card does help keep the price down )

I did a little research at what is available and that seemed like a good buy for the money and power, if you have an extra $100 to throw in then get the i7-3770K for it's hyperthreading if you think it will benefit you.
( K is for unlocked, OC potential, which I may do if I see an actually difference in speediness in a regular daily routine)

Plus that system is also recommended by the hackintosh community ( tonymacx86's website, so should be really easy to get osx up and running in no time.

And the board comes with a VGA and dvi and hdmi out which uses the graphic processor integrated in the CPU, so three monitors might be happening ( well not yet for me ) and if it does work in osx, which I tend to believe so, since MacBook Pro uses it.

Cheers!

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
10.8.2. is out.
Anyone tried to upgrade ?

xopher

xopher

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

10.8.2. is out.
Anyone tried to upgrade ?

I just did. Everything worked out after some fiddling around.

I initially encountered a non-booting system because of OemSMBIOS.kext. I changed my whole FakeSMC setup to a different one (as read here: http://www.insanelym...00#entry1855095). That way I didn't have to downgrade AppleACPIPlatform.kext, which has been touted as a solution by some.

After changing to this other branch of FakeSMC, my system booted (sans safe mode), and I just had to fix audio to get things up and running as per usual.

Edit: I also updated my Chameleon to r2064. Don't think that had anything to do with any of my problems (or solutions) though.

Edited by xopher, 19 October 2012 - 04:52 PM.

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Upgraded too. Could not boot after that. Constant reboots, kernel panic like freeze. So i rolled back to previous AppleACPIPlatform.kext using install dvd, and now it boots again. Sound works still without any patching and all the rest too.

Update: The system can't boot only if i choose Ignore Caches. Otherwise it gets rebooting in the middle of boot process. Something is wrong with the kext cache, and it seems no easy way there to fix it anymore (?)

Update2: Finally kextcache was rebuilt. New AppleHDA(10.8.2) is not working, i had a previous version loaded all the time (from 10.6.2 named AppleHDA1062.kext which was from the iAtkos Lion install disk). I am using now version 10.6.8. its fine too. Will upgrade to a patched 10.8.2. version some time since HDA Patcher not working with this one yet. Meanwhile the fragile HFS file system got damaged again. Luckily Disk Utility fixed it as it looks from my Lion install DVD. But there are problems still. Quicktime does not start. Console and Reminders app crashes. Others ran into this too. There seems to be a solution, but i haven't started on that. I am just happy i can boot at least now. This b!tch OS with its b!tch filesystem..

Attached Files

xopher

xopher

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Sad to see you too ran into problems.

Anyway, I installed the 10.8.2 supplemental update, which didn't cause any additional havoc on my setup.

Bandes

Bandes

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
10.8.3. is out.
might try to upgrade to that soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy