G73SW/G74SW Lion GM Install

jeffc2009

183 posts in this topic

EVERYTHING works, except the stuff I mentioned in my post earlier.

Also about the sound not being loud enough, this is what I do. Download Audacity(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). Open this while listening to something and the sound will adjust itself and get louder. How it does this and why it works, I do not know but it does. Also if you listen closely, the bass on the speakers isn't working, at least on mine.

So not working is:

HDMI (obviously)

Card reader (don't even try)

USB 3 (Not working for me, but I'm not worried about it.)

I am not sure it Turbo Core is working or not.

And I have had kernel panics on boot before, just restart.

I also still cannot get it to boot from the HDD, but I have it triple booted, so that may be why. Either way, it is not important to me, and neither are any of these other problems.

ONLY problem that bothers me even a bit is the inability to adjust the screen brightness through OS X.

And yes, you can definitely game, decreased performance though. I am not sure if this is because of the drivers for the video card (GTX 460m) or rather OpenGL on the Mac OS X side itself. I have a feeling it is the drivers because Minecraft is OpenGL no matter which OSit runs on and it runs slower on OS X. Steam also works, have played CSS, L4D2, TF2, PVK2, and Portal 2. I am even downloading Red Orchestra 2 at the moment.

Have fun with your new "mac", I know I do, especially in class. ;)

Also, my highest Geek bench score was 8174, but on average it is more around 7600-7900. I also have 12GB of ram and a second 750GB HDD.

BTW, does anyone know how an upgrade to 10.7.1 would go, its been released.

Now i have Sound stable working without Kernel Panic.

I have installed the newest Voodoohda from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Than not boot. change the voodoohda.kext with this one from kexts.com

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1283

This works for me

My Geekbench score ist 9800.

Is it possible to get Two Finger Scrolling working with the G74 ?? Under WIndows7 the Touchpad is so bad .

@kind3rgarten For Brightness you can try Keyboard Maestro. With my S6410 it works. Map increase and degrease Brightness to Keys.

With my G74 it not works

No i have Sound stable working without Kernel Panic.

I have installed the newest Voodoohda from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Than not boot. change the voodoohda.kext with this one from kexts.com

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1283

This works for me

My Geekbench score ist 9800.

Is it possible to get Two Finger Scrolling working with the G74 ?? Under WIndows7 the Touchpad is so bad .

@kind3rgarten For Brightness you can try Keyboard Maestro. With my S6410 it works. Map increase and degrease Brightness to Keys.

With my G74 it not works

Wow thanks this made my sound louder and I have not had a KP since install good find!

• 1 month later...

Holy SH....T ,

Sasch great find. I have the G74SX and was getting random panics. Slow boots times, sluggish desktop. With that great find on the VoodooHDA panics gone. Boots faster runs smoother.

Can't believe the problems it caused without realizing it was the main cause. I mean many of the panics never really pointed to the Voodoo. But it obviously was the problem. I had to every other boot restart from the HAL100 Graphics driver panic, Alps touchpad panics, the list goes on but I believe all because of the VoodooHDA I got from the first post.

Jeffc2009 you may want to try this VoodooHDA that Sasch has linked.

Thanks

EDITED:

I bet the audio component section for HDMI in the VoodooHDA was causing issues because the HAL100 Driver would panic randomly and it no longer does so it must have something to do with that. Either way I honestly can say this is a HUGE relief.

I was about to pack it up and get a MacBook Pro so now I can wait until 2012 for the newest releases keeping my fingers crossed that they will bring back the NVidia graphics or at least have a choice for the consumer.

I had a sh...tload of friends fill out the feedback's on the Apple site throughout the year so I am being hopeful we will see.

I have a couple of requests:

1) Could a G74 user post a working dsdt for me? After reading through this entire topic, I'm not sure where to get a copy that has all of the fixes that have been worked through over time. I've requested a patch on http://olarila.com but my post has been ignored there.

2) Have any of you gotten the trackpad preference pane to work? My trackpad is working, but I can't configure it via the preference pane to disable it while typing or "tap clicking".

Are the links in the first post pointing to the most up to date files now? If not, this would probably be a great help going forward.

A big thanks to everyone who has participated in getting these models up and running in Lion! Your efforts and willingness to share are appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys.

First of all, thanks for the help getting this setup, it was going really well.

I installed without problem and then used only necessary kexts (realtek so I could get network access) at first before going crazy. I got the nvidia drivers working and everything, but when I installed the rest of the kexts from your package, I can no longer boot. I get a kernel panic as soon as the login screen comes up.

It says "panic(cpu 6 caller) ...etc..

I assume it's as a result of some of the kexts I installed, so is there a way to uninstall them temporarily so I can boot up? Thanks for the reply in advance.

• 9 months later...

hello, did anyone updated to 10.7.5 ?

Is it possible to have an updated package with all necessary files for lion installation(extra,dsdt,ssdt,smbios,kexts,etc) and an updated guide for lion? I saw the "updated" MLion thread, but i am requesting Lion help(10.7.4 and 10.7.5).

Thanks!

Mal