OSX on Dell Latitude E6520...

mayhemm88

56 posts in this topic

OK, so i have everything up and running but I am having a couple of issues

1. How does one get shutdown to work properly with this laptop... it is not powering down the laptop all the way

2. does anyone have a DSDT file for this particular laptop/is it possible to run with AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext instead of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

3. How do you get the OS to dim the screen automatically, or get the Fn Key on the laptop working to dim the display in battery mode

Other than those issues, it appears I have a rather nice hackintosh laptop.

Hey guys,

I have managed to install Lion on my work laptop, which is an E6520 (obviously!) but I can't get the HD3000 to work. I don't have any discrete graphic card unfortunately, only the crappy Intel HD setup.

I managed to have 1024x768 w/o QE/CI.

My e6520 has a Quadcore I5-2520M 2.5Ghz which means Intel HD3000+.

Given that the HD 3000+ device id is 0x126, it should work out of the box, since similar to the new Mac mini setup.

I tried a couple of fixes like hex editing the hex editing the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB kext to modify the number of connectors but it didn't help. I tried only enabling the LVDS connector for instance ... didn't help.

I'm curious to know if anybody else managed to get it to work...

Cheers,

Happy hacking.

Just got a E6320 with no Nvidia, only Intel HD graphics.

Lion is installed and updated to 10.7.1

Not working:

Wireless

Keyboard mouse (will try other kext here shortly)

Graphics are detected but I'm getting tearing.

Haven't tried power or CPU settings testing yet.

I'm a huge noob at this so I'll keep my chatter to a minimum here and let you guys know if something does/doesn't work as I go at this.

Thanks.

Hey,

I'm wondering if you didn't anything specific to get the graphics to work.

Do you have native resolution and QE/CI?

If so, what smbios did you use? Any DSDT mods?

Thanks,

C.

Just got a E6320 with no Nvidia, only Intel HD graphics.

Lion is installed and updated to 10.7.1

Not working:

Wireless

Keyboard mouse (will try other kext here shortly)

Graphics are detected but I'm getting tearing.

Haven't tried power or CPU settings testing yet.

I'm a huge noob at this so I'll keep my chatter to a minimum here and let you guys know if something does/doesn't work as I go at this.

Thanks.

Hey,

I'm wondering if you didn't anything specific to get the graphics to work.

Do you have native resolution and QE/CI?

If so, what smbios did you use? Any DSDT mods?

Thanks,

C.

Greetings!

I used TonyMac's install method for 10.6.3 -> 10.6.7 Then I set the system identifier to MacBookPro 8,1 and Lion had no issues installing after that, and it automagically saw that I had an Intel 3000. Initially I had some graphics tearing, but today it hasn't shown up yet. I'll see if it shows up again.

EDIT - Screen tearing is still a huge issue. I must have the wrong device ID or something?

QE/CI seems to be working aside from that. Res shows up as native 1366x768. I'll paste a screenshot on here from that notebook shortly. Hope this helps. (Me being such a hackintosh n00b, you may need to be more specific with your question, or ask me for screenshot or information from the console.)

Anyone (6420, 6520, 6320) have a sleepenabler or power kexts/edit/config suggestion for me?

EDIT - going to see if I can get a DSDT from Maldon.

post-356199-1314023278_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to reply to this and add that 10.7.1 and Chimera 1.5 seemed to fix all of my video issues. Also there's an extra PCIe slot in the 6320 which allowed me to add a BCM94322 which seemed to work OOB in Lion.

Still no sleep. Anyone have luck with sleep on their 6320/6420/6520?

I have an E6420 with NVS4200s, installed lion and updated to 10.7. I've got everything working except sleep and external display, also it does not shutdown completely.

I replaced the wireless card to an AR9280 to make wifi work.

• 2 weeks later...
I used these files (attached). Be sure to put them in /System/Library/Extensions and rebuild the cache or boot with the -x option once.

This works great for getting the keyboard/trackpad working. However, the trackpad is so sensitive (and huge) that I'm constantly moving my cursor accidentally. The trackpad isn't recognized as an actual trackpad and so doesn't show up in the system preferences, but does anybody know how I might temporarily disable the trackpad? I'd still like to use the keyboard on the laptop, but would rather stick with a mouse when possible.

This works great for getting the keyboard/trackpad working. However, the trackpad is so sensitive (and huge) that I'm constantly moving my cursor accidentally. The trackpad isn't recognized as an actual trackpad and so doesn't show up in the system preferences, but does anybody know how I might temporarily disable the trackpad? I'd still like to use the keyboard on the laptop, but would rather stick with a mouse when possible.

Any progress for you guys? :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have an Dell E6520 laptop too. I try to install Lion for hours now.

No matter how I try to install lion (the tutorial from this post, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], rboot, . . .)

I get this error:

unable to open var db bootcache.playlist 2 no such file or directory

I googled alot but nothing I found helped me.

Any ideas?

Regards

Felix

Does anyone know how to properly install Chameleon? I was using the guide which worked great on my D620 but on the E6520, I'm getting the boot0: error... I've tried everything I could find on the internet. It works fine if I boot off the Chameleon USB stick..

I use Chimera (installed through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]).

wireless device id is 4727 not 43xx so no it wont work.

the AR9280 is AR5B91 on Ebay.

(if u use 10.5 also= it wont work due to driver being apple included in 10.6.3+ so use instead BCM94321MC)

Hi,

I have an Dell E6520 laptop too. I try to install Lion for hours now.

No matter how I try to install lion (the tutorial from this post, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], rboot, . . .)

I get this error:

unable to open var db bootcache.playlist 2 no such file or directory

I googled alot but nothing I found helped me.

Any ideas?

Regards

Felix

boot with -x UseKernelCache=No

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,

im new here and have a couple of questions.

i have an e6520 with nvidia card without a dvd-drive.

i tried to install iaktos L2 with an USB-Stick, but the laptop doesnt boot up from the USB-Stick ..

i created the stick under OS X Lion on my other PC and the stick is booting with this pc.

my second question is, how long is the battery life with mac os and the nvidia card?

Hello guys,

im new here and have a couple of questions.

i have an e6520 with nvidia card without a dvd-drive.

i tried to install iaktos L2 with an USB-Stick, but the laptop doesnt boot up from the USB-Stick ..

i created the stick under OS X Lion on my other PC and the stick is booting with this pc.

my second question is, how long is the battery life with mac os and the nvidia card?

EDIT: in disk utility

have to go to partition of usb. create 1 and click advanced then select GUID.

then u can do the restore the .dmg to usb

then install chameleon and the fakesmc and dsdt and smbios

have to go to partition of usb. create 1 and click advanced then select GUID.

then u can do the restore the .dmg to usb

then install chameleon and the fakesmc and dsdt and smbios

Have you made any progress on suspend and graphics?

The last time I tried this none of them worked. And I would really like to get rid of my linux mint install XD

uhh didnt know sleep was broken.

likely usb EHCI fix needed or _OSI

Yes, the thread mentions several times that sleepenabler.kext doesn't work with this laptop.

I think I know what usb ECHI Fix is, but what is _OSI.

I'll grab a second drive and install osx on this laptop right now if you think we can get sleep working! It's the ONLY thing it's lacking other than audio over hdmi.

my laptop is now running with Lion and a lot of stuff is working.

my graphic card is recognized correctly as a NVS 4200M. Touchpad and Keyboard are working, but Touchpad is a mouse and not a trackpad, so 2-finger scrolling is not working.

on the osx86project wiki is someone who posted that on his e6420 the 2-finger scrolling is working with the VoodooPS2TrackPad kext, but for me it is not working with this, maybe i do something wrong.

restarting the computer is working, but shutting down not.

my laptop is now running with Lion and a lot of stuff is working.

my graphic card is recognized correctly as a NVS 4200M. Touchpad and Keyboard are working, but Touchpad is a mouse and not a trackpad, so 2-finger scrolling is not working.

on the osx86project wiki is someone who posted that on his e6420 the 2-finger scrolling is working with the VoodooPS2TrackPad kext, but for me it is not working with this, maybe i do something wrong.

restarting the computer is working, but shutting down not.

When you say a lot of stuff is working.

Does the slideshow on iphoto work and videos in imovie work?