[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP ProLiant Microserver N36L (AMD)

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hey Saf,

Firstly, Thank You :P :) :) :)

I have the same results as Freebazee1

No scripts needed, Mac address picked up directly from boot and appearing in Ethernet properties, once the downloaded kext was unzipped in S/L/E, Kext Utilities run and system rebooted.

Well done mate, this is excellent !!

Cheers

TK

PS - My Microserver is improving by the day :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
PPS - Rip to my MacAdd.Command, it was fun while it lasted ! ;)

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I think it will soon be time to break out the Ouija board with my box the way it is playing up.

I removed the second Marvel Yukon network card to see if it was causing my networking system to be unstable and I think it was. I managed to change the MAC address on the existing card without the system rebooting and I got a network connection. On rebooting the network interface had changed from en0 to en1. No biggie. I didn't get a self repairing MAC address so I tried Saf's script. Rebooted. The interface is now en2. WTF?

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Glad to see it's working for you as well tk007b!

BUT ARGHHH! I'm unbelievably jealous. Might give it a wipe again and start from scratch. I WANT MY MAC ADDRESS TO SHOW AS WELL!!!! Hehe :)

:)

Hmm, Splonk, maybe we should give re-installing another go. I'm gonna give mine a go now. BTW Splonk, if it's showing en2 now, just edit the script to write en2 and hope for the best!

EDIT: tk007b - Did you buy the 160GB or the 250gb microserver?

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi Saf,

Mine is the 250GB version

Sorry to hear you, and Splonk, are not getting the same results :)

Reinstalling may help, as I got into difficulties a while back and it helped me :)

Cheers

TK

PS - I have partitioned my drive into 3 :-

1. Master HD
2. Backup HD
3. Data HD

I keep copies of images on Data HD (a basic one and a basic one with update 10.6.8) using CCC and then clone the Master HD to the Backup HD (and vice versa if changes screw up the image). This way it's never too much of a pain to start afresh.

I learned the hard way from installing USB Rollback on the ##### ! ;)

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hmm, I've reinstalled but it's still showing as 00:00:00:00:00:00 :)

Did you do anything differently? Anything at all in the original guide? Did you put my BCM kext in S/L/E and leave the original IONetworking?
Did you update the BIOS? Next time you restart your server or go in the BIOS, could you post your version please?

I've also got mine partitioned with a data drive to put backup images on! :D

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Mine is updated with the Russian bios so that the ODD and eSATA are uncoupled. Can't think that would affect anything particularly.

Might reinstall, anyway as ethernet went from en2 to en3 on reboot.

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I've not done anything with the bios. Re-installed as well and the ethernet still shows 00:00:00...

Can't really think what else I can change to get it to recognise my mac address!

Yup Splonk, I think it's best you re-install otherwise it looks like by the end of next week you're gonna be on en124! Hehe :P

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
This is what I've done so far :-

1. Updated the Bios to the latest HP and then put the hacked one on (v2.6.1) to allow my dvd drive to work
2. Installed 10.6.7 DVD with mod USB
3. Ran 10.6.8 Combo update and legacy_kernel-10.8.0.v2.pkg
4. Installed only Kext Helper b7 and Kext Utility from #####
5. Chamelon version is v.20-rc5 r727 (will upgrade it to a later to see if that makes a difference)
EDIT: Upgraded to v747 and still works the same
6. Copied the com.appleBoot.plist file to the Extra folder
7. Installed both the IONetworkingFamily .Kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext files (before you wrote your post)
8. Copied the ATI5000injector.kext file to Extra/Extensions
9. Copied the ATI5000Controller.kext, the ATIFramebuffer.kext and the ATISupport.kext to the /S/L/E folder
10. Then I made the graphic kext changes as per your instructions
11. I am still yet to do the usb bit, but will do soon
12. Additionally, I have/am using the 5450 Graphics Card, a USB audio dongle and a internal SATA dvd drive.
13. Assumptions are: I added the maxmemxxxxxxxx commands, on boot, before I installed the plist file AND ran kext utility everytime I made a kext change

Not sure this will help you a whole heap, but here's hoping :P

Let me know if you need anything else

Keep the faith !!

TK

PS - Now that the start up runs smoothly, is there a way of making Chameleon boot to a default partition (after a few seconds), rather than waiting for me to manually press return each time I boot up?

freebazee1

freebazee1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've installed this latest bios from hp

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

7. Installed both the IONetworkingFamily .Kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext files (before you wrote your post)

Then when you put my BCM kext in, what did you do to the IONetworkingFamily .Kext and AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext? Did you leave them both in? or leave the IONetworkingFamily in and remove the AppleBCM kext?

PS - Now that the start up runs smoothly, is there a way of making Chameleon boot to a default partition (after a few seconds), rather than waiting for me to manually press return each time I boot up?

Yup, edit your com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra. Add this in above </dict>:

<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>

Hope that helps :P

I've installed this latest bios from hp

Thanks freebazee1, I'll give that a go later. Might as well update the bios to the latest one anyway :)

freebazee1

freebazee1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

1. Updated the Bios to the latest HP and then put the hacked one on (v2.6.1) to allow my dvd drive to work
2. Installed 10.6.7 DVD with mod USB
3. Ran 10.6.8 Combo update and legacy_kernel-10.8.0.v2.pkg
4. Installed only Kext Helper b7 and Kext Utility from #####
5. Chamelon version is v.20-rc5 r727 (will upgrade it to a later to see if that makes a difference)
EDIT: Upgraded to v747 and still works the same
6. Copied the com.appleBoot.plist file to the Extra folder
8. Copied the ATI5000injector.kext file to Extra/Extensions
9. Copied the ATI5000Controller.kext, the ATIFramebuffer.kext and the ATISupport.kext to the /S/L/E folder
10. Then I made the graphic kext changes as per your instructions
11. I am still yet to do the usb bit, but will do soon
12. Additionally, I have/am using the 5450 Graphics Card, a USB audio dongle and a internal SATA dvd drive.
13. Assumptions are: I added the maxmemxxxxxxxx commands, on boot, before I installed the plist file AND ran kext utility everytime I made a kext change

Not sure this will help you a whole heap, but here's hoping :)

Let me know if you need anything else

Keep the faith !!

TK

I've either of the 2 in my REVO - not sure which will suit you

Either this

Timeout=8 Number of seconds to pause at the boot: prompt.
"Instant Menu"=Yes Force displaying the partition selection menu.

"Default Partition" Sets the default boot partition,
=hd(x,y) where 'x' is the disk number, 'y' the partition number.

OR

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>yes</string>

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I was just about to give up, but it's done! It works!

Ended up removing my BCM kext, and replacing it with the two janitor provided. Restarted with it and used internet on the buggy 00:00:00... requiring the power button presses. Then deleted AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and installed my BCM kext and voila! Although when I restarted after installing the BCM kext, I went into the BIOS and in the boot order, I put network first and then Hard Drive. Not sure if that was what made it work...
tk007b + freebazee1 - next time you reboot, go into the bios and check what your boot order is.

BUT IT WORKS! WOOO! And to think I was about to give in and put Windows Server 2008 on. Tsk tsk tsk. Now to see how stable it really is :)

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Freebazee1 - thanks, not sure what REVO is but done soem Googling and it's pointing me to make the boot changes to the plist file, so I'll give that a go :)

Saf, glad your sorted :)

My boot order is USB, CD/DVD, HDD and then network

Cheers

TK

freebazee1

freebazee1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Freebazee1 - thanks, not sure what REVO is but done soem Googling and it's pointing me to make the boot changes to the plist file, so I'll give that a go :D

Saf, glad your sorted :D

My boot order is USB, CD/DVD, HDD and then network

Cheers

TK

I'm really sorry, I didn't mention the plist file.. I kinda added to the saf's comment ...:)
REVO is acer revo R3610 ... Before starting this I brushed up my Mac skills by installing SL on that .. actually I tribooted it to install SL, Windows 7 and XBMC Live ....

Both the options will give you different results .. First one will show you the Boot options screen and then only boot after the stipulated time. And second one will skip the whole process and will boot directly the default partition. First one is Helpful when you are dual booting coz otherwise you can always press F8 to get the boot options but it depends on personal choice

I'm sure u know this already but just in case check this link for Chameleon Themes

Saf

My boot options are also in the same order as tk007b.

Maybe it's something to do with the iosnetworkingfamily.kext and version 10.6.7 coz as tk007b upgraded from 10.6.7 and I also picked up the kext from 10.6.7 installation on acer revo (I'm just saying ... I have got no clue ... :) )

Glad you fixed it

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I was just about to give up, but it's done! It works!

Ended up removing my BCM kext, and replacing it with the two janitor provided. Restarted with it and used internet on the buggy 00:00:00... requiring the power button presses. Then deleted AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and installed my BCM kext and voila! Although when I restarted after installing the BCM kext, I went into the BIOS and in the boot order, I put network first and then Hard Drive. Not sure if that was what made it work...
tk007b + freebazee1 - next time you reboot, go into the bios and check what your boot order is.

BUT IT WORKS! WOOO! And to think I was about to give in and put Windows Server 2008 on. Tsk tsk tsk. Now to see how stable it really is ;)

Didn't work for me so a reinstall is on the cards. By the way, Saf, did you recompile the 5722D kext with the correction someone posted in that thread or is it the version from the original poster?

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Nope, I didn't recompile it. Like I said, all credit to adlan, I just took his kext and edited the dev/ven ID to match our card. It was just as a quick dirty way to test the kext out. Adlan has a git repo running for the BCM5722D kext updated which I meant to give a go, but this works fine now so I don't dare change it!

If you haven't re-installed then give it another go.

Remove the BCM5722 kext along with the MACADD script. Delete the interface for good measure through SystemPref/Network. Reboot. Add BOTH kexts Janitor provided using kext wizard and put em both in S/L/E. Reboot. Check interface in SystemPref. Open Safari, see if it's connected. Reboot again for good measure. Delete the AppleBCM5715 kext in S/L/E but leave IONetworking untouched. Use kext wizard to install BCM5722.kext. Reboot. (I changed boot order in bios here to network boot first, HDD second.) Boot into mac and it should work. Open Safari, do an ifconfig in terminal and check the mac address in system profile>network.
If it still doesn't work, re-install and do the above. All the rebooting might be unnecessary but I just like to make sure the OS fully takes the kext! Sounds silly I know but it worked!

Sorry about the block of text, should've spaced it up a bit.

P.S. Does anyone have problems with the server freezing and then requiring the power button to be pressed? I think I had the issue because the energy saver settings had it auto go to sleep. I set that to never and unticked put HDD to sleep when possible. Seems to be fine now. Handling Plex transcoding, streaming etc fine :)

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I did a clean install on a spare external eSATA drive of 10.6.0. Vanilla SL, nothing added to what nawcom put in his boot disk. Added BCM5722D, rebooted, and bam - MAC address was there. Took a good minute or two to go from internal address to connected, though it booted up with a working internet connection by ethernet, so the kext could do with some improvements.

My system doesn't like janitor's networking kext and the BCM5722D together. I cannot boot to a gui. Booting in verbose mode shows that the BCM5722D is received with an error and does not get loaded.

Have tried recompiling from the latest source but still no good. Looks like a reinstall. I wanted to avoid that because I am running SL Server and it takes a little longer to get everything set up.

Oh well.

[Edit] One reinstall later - everything working as it should. Now to configure everything as it was....

Saf

Saf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

[Edit] One reinstall later - everything working as it should. Now to configure everything as it was....

Glad to hear it's all working well splonk! Have fun reconfiguring SL Server! :D I was thinking of putting it on but it seems a little overkill for me. All I wanna use it as is a NAS which runs Plex Media Server and can run a few of my perl scripts. I did wanna set it up to be a VPN server but I can do that through terminal instead of the SL Server interface.

Can I ask what you're using it for? :P

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Sure. Two drives a scheduled backup service for the various hardware in our house. One drive for media, although I picked up a NAS cheaply, I'll just use that instead, the other spare drive for my business. SL is probably a little overkill at the moment, but I shall expand the services if this little box is stable enough.

Look what I found - a DSDT that compiles. Can't be bothered to play with it right now after all this faffing about. I doubt that you could get too many optimisations on AMD, but it's something for a (very) rainy day.

Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   10.99KB   15 downloads

tk007b

tk007b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi Saf,

Just a word of warning if you are thinking about putting PLEX Media Server on it.

I have done exactly that but when streaming to my apple TV I get lots of freezingwhen watching episodes and also it often jumps out right back to the menu.

I know I have modified my apple TV to install PLEX client. However, it works fine when I use the media server from my real MAC downstairs.

I have a linux image for my Microserver, but as Virgin media have decided to disconnect me until at least tomorrow pm, I cannot put PMS on my linux image to test.

My suspicision is that the freezing/crashing issues only happen when using the Microserver under SL.

I hope I am wrong about this, or can fix it otherwise the dream may come to an end. ;)

Would be interested to know if you have simular issues.

Cheers

TK

EDIT: Seems to be working (streaming) better now for no apparent reason. All is not lost :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy