[GUIDE] Dell Studio 1558 ATI 5470 Core i7 - What I've got working so far

lifelike27

227 posts in this topic

Thank you very much for detailed guidelines

I followed your instructions and here's my process:

* Preinstall:

- Since I already had Windows 7 and don't want to erase the existing installation so I use transmac(http://www.snapfiles.com/get/transmac.html) to make bootable usb install of the retail DVD 10.6.3

- Replace OSInstall.mpkg with the file downloaded from http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/05/06 ... ard-disks/

( I tried to replace both files as the instructions but failed on the other file. Replace only 1 worked for me)

* Install:

- Boot with ibootlegacy (no flag)

- Choose USB stick

- Proceed with installation

After that I use your attached files in that topic with instructions. The first time I ran the update compo from Apple it hangs and messed around with my RAM so that I could not even start Win 7 normal. Memory test diagnostic tool said it's the hardware problem but can't fix it. So I use HirenBoot CD run memtest 86+ and after that it went fine (Mac drive is still corrupted)

On second time I got it working as expected. Installed chimera but it didn't work. Then installed Chameleon, switch to Windows 7 add new boot record for Mac drive (using EasyBCD) and it worked.

Couple of issues so far:

- Wifi doesn't work even after installing the enabler

- The original flawed Chimera is still there. My boot sequence goes like this Chimera(failed)->Win 7 Boot Mgr -> Chameleon. Is there any way to remove Chimera? Also using Chameleon I have to set bootflag GraphicsEnabler=yes all the time. Is there any way to configure it?

- Connect to external monitor before the boot does not work (kernel panic error). And it doesn't support 1920x1024 resolution

- Cannot go to stand by mode, sometimes restarting hangs

Lifelike27 you rock!!! headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Dell Wireless 1520 doesn't work for anybody as of yet, I ordered a 1510 off of eBay and works fine, or a compatible USB wireless dongle would work too.

Sleep mode works with DSDT and some modification, I managed to get it to work, I will report back once I get on my 1558 to see what I did exactly.

put the following in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

External monitor and QE/CI works here, probably Lion being the reason it works.

As with the boot sequence, I would post the question in the Multi booting and virtualization forum, theres probably an easier solution, but I would back up everything and do a fresh install when Lion retail comes out and install latest chameleon then.

Also, I will be adding a new zip file later today with all my kexts and Extra folder, and DSDT that may work for those with a similar configuration as me. Put in a working wireless solution, or an Ethernet cable and you will have a perfect system on Lion.

also, busratio=20 isn't exactly needed on a later version of Chameleon, I still have 4 cores 8 threads, and SpeedStep/TurboBoost/etc.

I've been carefully reading your posts in various places as I try to get my i7 1558 working, after numerous attempts to get it working I got mine working like this.

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Legacy

install retail 10.6 disc

install combo update 10.6.3

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.7.2. only installing ATI 1.6.34.13 injector

reboot

install 10.6.7

if I get any kernal panics I can usually just use -v in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] legacy to get past it, then I can do disc utiliy and repair partitions.

I installed the voodoo battery kext that someone listed here for battery support, but I think that was it.

I can't get the 10.6.8 update to work without either it locking up at "PCI CONFIG BEGIN" or alternatively getting through boot but having nothing but a blank screen.

Is there any way to stop my screen going black if it puts my screen to sleep (i.e. during 3 minutes of me not touching it)?

Good work guys, a very useful pile of information in here.

I've been carefully reading your posts in various places as I try to get my i7 1558 working, after numerous attempts to get it working I got mine working like this.

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Legacy

install retail 10.6 disc

install combo update 10.6.3

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.7.2. only installing ATI 1.6.34.13 injector

reboot

install 10.6.7

if I get any kernal panics I can usually just use -v in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] legacy to get past it, then I can do disc utiliy and repair partitions.

I installed the voodoo battery kext that someone listed here for battery support, but I think that was it.

I can't get the 10.6.8 update to work without either it locking up at "PCI CONFIG BEGIN" or alternatively getting through boot but having nothing but a blank screen.

Is there any way to stop my screen going black if it puts my screen to sleep (i.e. during 3 minutes of me not touching it)?

Good work guys, a very useful pile of information in here.

It happened to me too after I update to 10.6.8 via software updates. It seems that you have to reinstall IOPCI and some kexts to make it work:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/06/mac...068-update.html

I tried but it didn't work for me. At one point I was able to boot 10.6.8 but cannot get GraphicsEnabler=yes mode to work. I tried to reinstall [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] but it failed too.

So I reinstalled everything and happy with 10.6.7 again.

Current status:

- External monitor 1920x1080 does not work (the option doesn't appear in Display settings/tried SwitchResX but it said inactive???)

- Wifi works with TP-Link WN321G (only $10)

- Microphone does not work, sound and webcam work though.

Thanks you ! I have the same laptop as you

Dell Studio 1558

i7 720-QM

Radeon HD 5470

Broadcom 4313...

Everything working perfectly on Lion GM except Wifi B)

Yeah man, just get a 1510 off of ebay or a dongle and it would be fine.

On a side note, i would like to find a better solution than controllermate for the multimedia key issue, namely the volume up/down key, I am currently looking into that. And does anyone else have the issue of the volume slider being less than accurate, with the halfway mark on the volume slider being no sound, I am using an AppleHDA kext I found instead of VoodooHDA though. I will look into all remaining issues, and will produce a final Kext pack, before Lion is released on app store. We will make the Dell 1558 the next great hackintoshed laptop.

I messed up my Lion installation and like a fool I forgot to clone my HDD. Was trying to install Lion without a USB since I didn't have anything bigger than 4GB. Just reinstalled to 10.6.7 now.

Charlie, do you use Linux by any chance? I wanted to know if the DW1510 was capable of packet injection and monitor mode. I will definitely buy it then, that's the only thing holding me back now.

I just got my USB dongle and wireless is working fine with it but the custom wireless application is a bit annoying to deal with.

Btw, it looks like there is some active development for the BCM4313 wireless card: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247900

I messed up my Lion installation and like a fool I forgot to clone my HDD. Was trying to install Lion without a USB since I didn't have anything bigger than 4GB. Just reinstalled to 10.6.7 now.

Charlie, do you use Linux by any chance? I wanted to know if the DW1510 was capable of packet injection and monitor mode. I will definitely buy it then, that's the only thing holding me back now.

I just got my USB dongle and wireless is working fine with it but the custom wireless application is a bit annoying to deal with.

Btw, it looks like there is some active development for the BCM4313 wireless card: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247900

@Lifelike: you can buy TP-Link WN321G. It works great w/ OSX and Backtrack too:

http://yltan.com/blog/tp-link-tl-wn321g-wi...or-mini-review/

Packet injection i'm not sure but monitor mode definitely works.

Nah, I don't use linux, I will look into it for you though.

@Lifelike: you can buy TP-Link WN321G. It works great w/ OSX and Backtrack too:

http://yltan.com/blog/tp-link-tl-wn321g-wi...or-mini-review/

Packet injection i'm not sure but monitor mode definitely works.

Thanks viero!

As soon as a finished reading the article I bought one straight away! The only downside is that I have to pay $5 for shipping just because I live on the other side of the border (canada fyi).

The article said you might need third party drivers for Mac? Which ones are you using or could you provide a link for me?

Can't wait for it to arrive!

After a quick google search, there is no packet injection support, and supposedly monitor mode works properly with a driver update in windows, but i don't know anything about it.

As for the final kext pack, I will release it whenever I get sleep mode and the volume control quirk working proper, or on Lion's official release date, whichever comes first. And I am really close for the sleep mode I must add. MaLd0n also created me a DSDT, which I will include, but only use if you have very similar specs as to what I have.

64-bit Geekbench scores for the 1558, with i7 and 1333 Mhz RAM should be anywhere between 6500-6600, a more respectable score than any MacBook Pro before 2011, and even better than the 13 inch 2011 MacBook Pros.

So here is a summary of what is working so far

Working:

Intel Core i7:

Intel processor obviously works with newish chameleon. Later versions however reduce QuickPath Interconnect performance, use Chimera r877 for perfect balance of uninhibited QPI performance, ATI support, SpeedStep and turboboost.

8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

Seagate 500GB 7200RPM HDD

IDT 92HD73C1 Audio:

Edit: All working perfectly now. Mic quality is good unlike VoodooHDA and volume slider accuracy is good.

ATI 5470M:

Works perfect in Lion with AtiConfig=Hoolock in com.boot.apple.plist. QE/CI, full res and everything.

Dell Wireless 1510

Keyboard/Mouse:

Works. With Multitouch, and still in 64-bit mode as well. Still have the multimedia key quirk with the volume control. mute, play, forward and back, and brightness control work perfect, volume up and down have a strange quirk, this is not a PS2 driver problem, or an Audio driver problem, but a Dell problem, I will try to fix it though.

Ethernet

Webcam/Mic

Battery

Hitachi-LG GA31N DVD Drive

Power management and fans/cooling

In progress:

Sleep Mode:

Very real possibility of it working, I managed so far to put it into sleep mode, with the power button light effect as it has on window's sleep mode in everything. Waking it from sleep is being worked on at the moment.

Not working:

Dell Wireless 1520:

Get a USB dongle or replace it with a Dell Wireless 1510 from eBay or similar.

We are close to perfection, guys. Special thanks to lifelike27, Shirosaki, mac-lovin, vireo86, MaLd0n, The dell mini hackintosh forum, The dell studio 1557 thread, and Apple for being so kind to have put 0x68e0, the device ID for the 5470M into Lion's ATI5000Controller.kext :(.

Sleep Mode:

Very real possibility of it working, I managed so far to put it into sleep mode, with the power button light effect as it has on window's sleep mode in everything. Waking it from sleep is being worked on at the moment.

Hi CharlieSheen,

I too have got to the same stage with Lion DP4 with sleep. I can press the power button and the laptop will turn the LCD screen off, turn the fans off, spin down the HDD and flash the power light. But on wake-up, the fans turn on full, HDD light comes on, but the screen is black and the keyboard unresponsive ....i.e. it crashes. I check the kernel.log after rebooting and there's no record of the OS going to sleep or being woken.

I did make a small change to the DSDT and manage to turn the screen off when the screen lid is closed down. But this does not put the notebook to sleep (everything is running but the screen is black). When I open the screen lid, the LCD turns back on and continues to display what was there before. So small progress.

Let me know if you want me to test any ideas you come up with and vice versa.

Hi CharlieSheen,

I too have got to the same stage with Lion DP4 with sleep. I can press the power button and the laptop will turn the LCD screen off, turn the fans off, spin down the HDD and flash the power light. But on wake-up, the fans turn on full, HDD light comes on, but the screen is black and the keyboard unresponsive ....i.e. it crashes. I check the kernel.log after rebooting and there's no record of the OS going to sleep or being woken.

I did make a small change to the DSDT and manage to turn the screen off when the screen lid is closed down. But this does not put the notebook to sleep (everything is running but the screen is black). When I open the screen lid, the LCD turns back on and continues to display what was there before. So small progress.

Let me know if you want me to test any ideas you come up with and vice versa.

That's odd, my log says that it wakes up perfectly, and the OS was called to sleep by the power button, etc. but it just doesn't wake. I have heard that a lot of people are having problems because of Lion, I was a little busy today, but tomorrow ill try different methods and such.

What was the DSDT modification you did, that seems like a good start?

Thanks viero!

As soon as a finished reading the article I bought one straight away! The only downside is that I have to pay $5 for shipping just because I live on the other side of the border (canada fyi).

The article said you might need third party drivers for Mac? Which ones are you using or could you provide a link for me?

Can't wait for it to arrive!

It depends on the version although all of them looks white. When the stick arrives, look for the back for FCC ID (last 2 chars). Mine is V4 and after several trials i find this one actually works:

http://download1.opendrivers.com/uploaddrv..._2010_04_06.dmg

For V1 sticks download RT25xxx from this site:

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

Hackintosh update: I finally be able to adjust resolution of the external monitor to 1920x1080 with SwitchResX. I have to manually enter the custom resolution and let the system calculate the refresh rate (59.99xx Hz instead of 60 Hz by default).

It depends on the version although all of them looks white. When the stick arrives, look for the back for FCC ID (last 2 chars). Mine is V4 and after several trials i find this one actually works:

http://download1.opendrivers.com/uploaddrv..._2010_04_06.dmg

For V1 sticks download RT25xxx from this site:

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

Hackintosh update: I finally be able to adjust resolution of the external monitor to 1920x1080 with SwitchResX. I have to manually enter the custom resolution and let the system calculate the refresh rate (59.99xx Hz instead of 60 Hz by default).

Seller says it's version 4.1

Thanks! =)

That's odd, my log says that it wakes up perfectly, and the OS was called to sleep by the power button, etc. but it just doesn't wake. I have heard that a lot of people are having problems because of Lion, I was a little busy today, but tomorrow ill try different methods and such.

What was the DSDT modification you did, that seems like a good start?

Yes it is odd that I do not have any record of sleep in the logs even though I selected Sleep from the Apple Menu.

It is as if the DSDT did it's actions to sleep without telling the OS.

Need to figure out how the DSDT tells the OS that it is about to sleep. I thought _PTS (Prepare To Sleep) was responsible for that.

I think the mod I made to the DSDT for the Lid closure was a red-herring. I changed the Device name LID0 to LID to match Apple. But having tested it again, it actually makes no difference to the screen turning off when the lid is closed. It had always turned the screen off when I closed it.

My DSDT source file is attached (one of the most complex I have seen). It was modified from the raw one by MaLd0n.

Could you pls post yours for comparison ?

Apologies to the OP for digressing from intend thread.

macnb2.dsdt.dsl.zip

dsdt.aml.zip

Yeah, there it is.

Also modified by MaLd0n.

Do you know of any similar Laptops with either the same HM55 chipset, or another Dell Studio that has this problem solved?

I've not come across it yet. I keep scouring the forums with someone with ATI 5470 and HM55 chipset that has sleep working but not success yet.

Thx for posting your DSDT. I have tried to some of the things from your _wak & _pts but I still see no records in the logs that show sleep being instigated.

Has anyone else had problems like this where the screen gets scrambled after the screen wakes up after sleeping? post-800289-1310453574_thumb.jpg

Another problem I've started having recently is that when I tried (and failed) to upgrade to Lion, my partitioning table was reordered.

Example, if it started from disk01s03, disk01s5, disk01s2, that because disk01s1, disk01s2, disk01s3.

Since then, when I chainload grub with chameleon, chameleon boots up my Windows partition instead of my OS X partition. It does however work if I boot straight from the CD. That's not very nice though, having to boot from the CD all the time.

Usually when I choose the OS X grub menu entry, it boots Chameleon, but it doesn't show me the OS choice list. It just directly booted into OS X. Now it does that, but for Windows 7....

Has anyone else had problems like this where the screen gets scrambled after the screen wakes up after sleeping? post-800289-1310453574_thumb.jpg

Another problem I've started having recently is that when I tried (and failed) to upgrade to Lion, my partitioning table was reordered.

Example, if it started from disk01s03, disk01s5, disk01s2, that because disk01s1, disk01s2, disk01s3.

Since then, when I chainload grub with chameleon, chameleon boots up my Windows partition instead of my OS X partition. It does however work if I boot straight from the CD. That's not very nice though, having to boot from the CD all the time.

Usually when I choose the OS X grub menu entry, it boots Chameleon, but it doesn't show me the OS choice list. It just directly booted into OS X. Now it does that, but for Windows 7....

I'm having the same issue w/ the screen. However it hook it up w/ external monitor so that's not a big issue for me.

How did you guys get it to sleep and wake in the first place?

How did you guys get it to sleep and wake in the first place?

Sorry, I didn't mean the computer going into sleep, I meant the display going to sleep/timeout.

If I try putting the computer to sleep. The computer goes to sleep, but when woken up, the screen is off and there's no way to get it to come on.

Well, I am pretty sure that its Lion will fix the display sleep issue, I don't have it on mine at all.

And as for the sleep, I am about to give up on it until someone with a similar laptop gets it to work.

Im am looking to buy the 1558 to install OSx on, but I have a few questions..

This appears to be the same set up as "Charlie Sheen"

DELL Studio 1558 i7-720QM 1.6GHz 8GB 500GB HDD 15.6" | eBay

This has 4gb ram and a smaller HD but has a 1080p display.

Dell Studio 1558 i7 / 4Gb / 1080 | eBay

I am wondering which model you guy would recommend and if I do go with the 1080p model, will I be able to run OSx with 1080p?

:thumbsdown_anim: