OS X 10.7 Lion with Pentium D CPU?

Jbbrack03

11 posts in this topic

I'd love to install Lion on my PC. I've got Snow Leopard working flawlessly. I've tried installing Lion using multiple methods. Whenever I try to boot my install media, I get a little bit of text and then it just goes to a black screen. Could this be related to my processor (Pentium D)? Here is my overall Hardware Setup:

- CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.0 Ghz

- RAM: 2 GB DDR2 800 Mhz

- Video: Geforce 8800 GT 1 GB

- Chipset: Intel

- HD: 250 GB SATA 7200 RPM with GUID Partition

Really looking forwards to trying Lion. I had no problems at all with installing Snow Leopard. Any advice would be appreciated!

Lion installs don't support Pentium D's yet. The kernel sources have not been released by Apple yet so Legacy CPU support (Pentium 4/m/D/Dual-Core) does not work. Wait till the devs can get their hands on the sources first.

Ok. Figured it was something along those lines. I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers and installing software and I've learned a lot from messing around with Snow Leopard on my PC. I figured it might be the kernel, but wanted to make sure. I'll keep an eye out for some new kernels after it's officially released.

• 6 months later...

Sorry dude, you're on the same boat as I am. I also have a Pentium Dual based hackintosh and its running snow leopard great for the last 2 years. Sadely its the end of the line for us, because the Pentium D (Core Duo cousin) does not support SSE3 instructions and Lion is a 64 bit based OS so, I guess from now one, we are on the same boat as the PowerPC users. :(

• 1 month later...

It is possible. (sorry for the bump :P)

The main thing that needs to happen is the CPUID check needs to be removed. I have an i386 kernel w/out the CPUID check, but the issue now is getting stuck at "Got boot device" (not "Still waiting for root device"). I tried a couple Atom kernels too, and it got to the same point.

• 1 month later...

Sorry dude, you're on the same boat as I am. I also have a Pentium Dual based hackintosh and its running snow leopard great for the last 2 years. Sadely its the end of the line for us, because the Pentium D (Core Duo cousin) does not support SSE3 instructions and Lion is a 64 bit based OS so, I guess from now one, we are on the same boat as the PowerPC users. :(

How did you get SL to work?

I keep getting a reboot loop with Iatkos and Hazard

iAtkos and Hazard are not good to use. Use a retail disc, I have an installation guide in my sig.

It's always possible to install; you just have to use the right method. If you tried to use mach_kernel, Pentium D's don't support it. You have to use another kernel, which the ModCD (the disc I use in my guide) has.

• 11 months later...

I have successfully got Lion running on my Pentium D 940!!!! (no ssse3 support). EDIT: 64-bit apps are now WORKING!!! New kernel link:

http://www.mediafire...spw5i1yabscdlbz

You must boot with -nossse3bit. And when I first used this, it got stuck on [pci configuration begin], this was fixed by installing the IOPCI package from the iAtkos L2 distro. Download the package here:

http://www.mediafire...j216pa5p3oaphpk

After doing all this, I have a perfect Lion Pentium D Hackintosh!