Still Waiting for root device

68 posts in this topic

Exactly. EasyBCD only adds an entry to the Windows 7 bootloader (BCD) to load Chameleon off the Mac drive.

Also its better to use USB keyboards/mice rather than having to deal with the headache of getting PS2 stuff to work. If it doesn't work automatically then it will be a bit difficult to get working.

As far as the "Still waiting for root device" error, I got this error on an old PC of mine that was using IDE drives. I fixed by installing a kext for my southbridge, but that method is probably dated by now. It's much easier just to use SATA configured as AHCI.

• 8 months later...

I'd recommend the latest lifehacker guide. This time use Chameleon RC5 only, not EasyBCD.

EasyBCD does not "use Chameleon".

http://en.wikipedia....asyBCD#Mac_OS_X

EasyBCD can "chainload" Chameleon.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Chain_loading

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I am getting this error. I have EasyBCD from a pervious installation of OS X Leopard. I now am gonna install OS X Lion. HOwever, i am stuck with this error. the only difference from the earlier and this installation is EasyBCD. Like the OP, even I don't have an AHCI option in my BIOS. So I am just wondering how to get past this. Uninstalling the EasyBCD will give me issues with loading into Win7?? Firstly, is this error caused due to EasyBCD??

Thanx a lot!

Um, what error exactly are you getting? Still waiting for root device? Maybe we can help better if you describe your situation a little more.

I don’t know if I should advise you on EasyBCD or not, because I have never used it after my first encounter.

AFAIK, uninstalling EasyBCD won’t give you any issues because you will be installing Chameleon next, and that can boot Windows.

You did not tell us if you have an IDE or a SATA drive, but if you have IDE, like me, be prepared for some issues because OS X hates IDE.

I have attached a modified IOATAFamily.kext, which should probably help you boot IDE. Install it in your /S/L/E on your USB Install drive as well as on your Lion drive after the install. Having another working OS X Install helps, otherwise you will have to do all this in Terminal from your USB drive.

Working with IDE drives is a lot of trial and error. I don’t know how many weekends I have wasted on getting an IDE drive to boot.

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

Um, what error exactly are you getting? Still waiting for root device? Maybe we can help better if you describe your situation a little more.

I don’t know if I should advise you on EasyBCD or not, because I have never used it after my first encounter.

AFAIK, uninstalling EasyBCD won’t give you any issues because you will be installing Chameleon next, and that can boot Windows.

You did not tell us if you have an IDE or a SATA drive, but if you have IDE, like me, be prepared for some issues because OS X hates IDE.

I have attached a modified IOATAFamily.kext, which should probably help you boot IDE. Install it in your /S/L/E on your USB Install drive as well as on your Lion drive after the install. Having another working OS X Install helps, otherwise you will have to do all this in Terminal from your USB drive.

Working with IDE drives is a lot of trial and error. I don’t know how many weekends I have wasted on getting an IDE drive to boot.

Thanx a lot man for your reply.

Firstly I apologize for not explaining in detail. Yes, I am getting the 'Still waiting for root device' error. Secondly my BIOS looks all messed up as I can't change the things I want to and it confusing at the same time. SOme places it says IDE/ATA and some place it says S (ATA) I am all over the place. HOw do I know if both my HDDs are SATA or IDE?

Then coming to the modified kernel you posted here(Thanks for that actually), I don't have a working OS X Lion, as I can't even boot into the system, let alone installing the kexts.

And lastly some added bit of info:

I have two HDDs. ONe already has Win7 and I want to keep it as is. I want the other HDD to have/hold/run OS X. I want a dual boot. The last time I installed OS X Leopard, it ran like a hot knife thorough butter. No issues at all (At least during the installation there were none, post that the sound and USB were having issues). But that's another thing.

So, hope I am clear...

And oh, forgot to ask, an off topic Q, what would you recommend, Distors or retails?

Thanx!

OSX loves IDE, especially IDE DVD drives. Problem is Windows REALLY hates OSX and all bootloaders, PS/2 doesn't ever call OSX they next day (jealous of USB and now bluetooth), and some IDE HDD are just a little scared cause OSX loved them a bit too hard back in the day. Needless to say, OSX is all love man. Even on legacy drives.

OK, anyway- USB keyboard/mouse definitely and sata to USB adapter almost definitely, are to be considered standard kit for hackintosh setuping, must haves. Best thing to do is buy a 1 or 2tb usb drive which for reasons I don't understand are always cheaper than buying the same size/brand internal HD, bust it open(carefully), take out the sata drive and use it as a internal data drive but for a lot less $$$, and use the remaining carcass as a usb to sata adapter whenever you need one, or put smaller capacity drive your replacing in your PC into the USB enclosure. It's a win, win. Be careful with 2.5 drives though, as some have the usb port as part of the HD's circuit board and no sata, but never had a prob with 3.5's and usually buy all my large HD's this way, sometimes half the price.

• Like 1

Thanx a lot man for your reply.

Firstly I apologize for not explaining in detail. Yes, I am getting the 'Still waiting for root device' error. Secondly my BIOS looks all messed up as I can't change the things I want to and it confusing at the same time. SOme places it says IDE/ATA and some place it says S (ATA) I am all over the place. HOw do I know if both my HDDs are SATA or IDE?

Open your computer case and look for your HD. If the cable connected to it is a thin one (about the size of your thumb) then it’s SATA. If it’s a big one with many pins, IDE. I am sure there’s a way to find that out through Windows Device Manager, but I don’t know how.

Then coming to the modified kernel you posted here(Thanks for that actually), I don't have a working OS X Lion, as I can't even boot into the system, let alone installing the kexts.

It’s not a kernel, it’s a kext. :)

I think you can’t boot your USB Installation Drive, at least that’s what it looks like. You have to put the file in System/Library/Extensions folder of your USB drive. That will probably make it boot as it will recognise your HDs.

And lastly some added bit of info:

I have two HDDs. ONe already has Win7 and I want to keep it as is. I want the other HDD to have/hold/run OS X. I want a dual boot. The last time I installed OS X Leopard, it ran like a hot knife thorough butter. No issues at all (At least during the installation there were none, post that the sound and USB were having issues). But that's another thing.

So does the other HDD have Leopard right now? If not, it’s a good idea to install it, as you will need a working install to prepare your USB Install Drive. After that, you can overwrite the Leopard Installation.

So, hope I am clear...

And oh, forgot to ask, an off topic Q, what would you recommend, Distors or retails?

Thanx!

Retail copies only. Because, first, distros are illegal. Secondly, a distro may work for certain motherboards and not for others. A retail disk gives you some freedom. Third, I personally prefer my install to be as vanilla (Unmodified) as possible. Distros add tweaks and settings I can surely live without.

But if you happen to own a supported laptop, probably distros are better.

OSX loves IDE, especially IDE DVD drives. Problem is Windows REALLY hates OSX and all bootloaders, PS/2 doesn't ever call OSX they next day (jealous of USB and now bluetooth), and some IDE HDD are just a little scared cause OSX loved them a bit too hard back in the day. Needless to say, OSX is all love man. Even on legacy drives.

OK, anyway- USB keyboard/mouse definitely and sata to USB adapter almost definitely, are to be considered standard kit for hackintosh setuping, must haves. Best thing to do is buy a 1 or 2tb usb drive which for reasons I don't understand are always cheaper than buying the same size/brand internal HD, bust it open(carefully), take out the sata drive and use it as a internal data drive but for a lot less $$$, and use the remaining carcass as a usb to sata adapter whenever you need one, or put smaller capacity drive your replacing in your PC into the USB enclosure. It's a win, win. Be careful with 2.5 drives though, as some have the usb port as part of the HD's circuit board and no sata, but never had a prob with 3.5's and usually buy all my large HD's this way, sometimes half the price.

Hahaha thanks for the humour. :P

And a bigger thanks for that external HD thingy. I will try that. Soon. It’s lying on my table. :dev:

Can you recommend some cheap 500 GB (That’s all I need) ones on pm?

Open your computer case and look for your HD. If the cable connected to it is a thin one (about the size of your thumb) then it’s SATA. If it’s a big one with many pins, IDE. I am sure there’s a way to find that out through Windows Device Manager, but I don’t know how.

It’s not a kernel, it’s a kext. :)

I think you can’t boot your USB Installation Drive, at least that’s what it looks like. You have to put the file in System/Library/Extensions folder of your USB drive. That will probably make it boot as it will recognise your HDs.

So does the other HDD have Leopard right now? If not, it’s a good idea to install it, as you will need a working install to prepare your USB Install Drive. After that, you can overwrite the Leopard Installation.

Retail copies only. Because, first, distros are illegal. Secondly, a distro may work for certain motherboards and not for others. A retail disk gives you some freedom. Third, I personally prefer my install to be as vanilla (Unmodified) as possible. Distros add tweaks and settings I can surely live without.

But if you happen to own a supported laptop, probably distros are better.

Hahaha thanks for the humour. :P

And a bigger thanks for that external HD thingy. I will try that. Soon. It’s lying on my table. :dev:

Can you recommend some cheap 500 GB (That’s all I need) ones on pm?

Doesn't have Leopard anymore. formatted the partition a while back. I need to figure this damn IDE/SATA {censored}. I am super pissed man. Last time it just went through. And I AM trying to install Leopard again. Just so that I can burn a .dmg Lion. Also, you mentioned that Retails give us some freedom. Could you explain how? I mean, Distros usually have all the drivers built in as opposed to a retail where you go hunting for it. I would love to install a Retail. Just can't figure what to do?? Retail vs Distro!! Arrghh...could u plz help!

Distros usually have kexts for a select number of motherboards. Retail gives you freedom as you can choose what you want to have. True, it requires more man hours, but the result is better than a distro.

I have a questionnaire:

Q1: What specs? How old is your PC?

Q2: Which method are you using to install Leopard?

Q3: Which distro of Lion are you using?

Q4: Are you installing Lion from a USB drive?

Q5: “Still waiting for root device” appears on installing Leopard or Lion?

Q6: How much experience do you have with Leopard?

Q7: How much experience do you have with Lion?

Q1: What specs? How old is your PC?

I have a Intel MOBo, dg31PR + Nvidia 9400GT/1GB RAM+2GB DDR2 RAM.

Q2: Which method are you using to install Leopard?

DVD

Q3: Which distro of Lion are you using?

I am trying to install OS X Leopard from Kalyway (i Think or iAtkos, the drives pretty old and I don't remember.)

Q4: Are you installing Lion from a USB drive?

I am yet to install Lion.

Q5: “Still waiting for root device” appears on installing Leopard or Lion?

Leopard (the old distro)

Q6: How much experience do you have with Leopard?

I had used to it form quite a while infact. (showed it off to friends :P) Until the Sound and USB started to give me issues.

Q7: How much experience do you have with Lion?

None.

Look what I found:

http://osx86.co/f85/...t-device-t1467/

I think I am gonna try the Step 1 & 2.

Ok I tried everything last night and covered some loopholes in my knowledge too.

The HDDs are SATA (red cable) but my DVD/optical drive is IDE (flat white wire)

The disk is Kalyway 5.2.something

I tried removing the WIndows 7 HDD and boot with the rd=disk0s1 -v method. Goes a little ahead of the data line otherwise, but a little while later, says "Still waiting for root device..."

There’s your problem. Your DVD drive is IDE. Maybe you could try installing with a USB drive?

I used iPC to install Leopard 10.5.8. It has my chipset drivers. Perhaps you could tell us what chipset you have? I have a bunch of drivers lying around, maybe I can upload them here.

• Like 1

There’s your problem. Your DVD drive is IDE. Maybe you could try installing with a USB drive?

I used iPC to install Leopard 10.5.8. It has my chipset drivers. Perhaps you could tell us what chipset you have? I have a bunch of drivers lying around, maybe I can upload them here.

There. you out run me again. What is a chipset now. Is it the motherboard config? It is DG31PR. otherwise I need to find out...

(PS: I am sorry if I look like I am being rude, I am not. I am just pissed. A while back, THIS VERY SAME system ran OS X Leopard like this *snaps fingers*. ANd now this...)

ALso: If I can ask you, how does Lion run on a 2.53 GHZ 2GB DDR RAM config?

Your "motherboard chipset" comprises of the North- and Southbridge chips. On your motherboard, those are from Intel. Very modern motherboards that use Intel chips now have the north- and southbridged combined in one chip, the PCH. Your drive controller is part of the Southbridge part of the chipset. Yours is probably ICH7 or ICH9.

Read more on Wikipedia.

IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics and it applies to drives with a SATA connector on them as well as your older drives that use ribbon cables. They're both IDE drives.

You are talking about Serial ATA versus Parallel ATA.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for the info man. But honestly (and not trying to be rude again) you kinnda lost me. Just wanted to know where will it be printed that its ICH7 or 9??

Thanks again.

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Please don't quote entire messages when replying directly below them.

Rule number one of Hackintosh Club is "know your hardware".

have you considered looking in your motherboard manual, or on the page for your motherboard at the manufacturers website?

If you have Windows installed you can also look this up in the Windows device manager.

You can run LSPCI -nn from a Linux live CD or from OS X, but you need to download and install LSPCI first.

Sorry. You are right. I need to know my hardware a lot better than this. But I am learning. I just need to know what will it be called in the system, I mean, in the device manager. I will look for it. Anyways, will I have a similar problem if I run from a USB?

No, USB should work, but then again, so should your drives, if you use the right BIOS settings and/or drivers. While it makes things easier - AHCI mode is not a requirement for installing OS X, this is a myth perpetuated by people who don't read enough.

Intel drive controllers with no AHCI mode support work perfectly fine in OS X with the right kernel extensions, two that I know of are ATAPortInjector.kext and AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. Note: Never try to load two drivers for the same hardware at the same time!

While we're at it, your USB controller is also part of the Southbridge of your motherboard chipset.

Note for the future: There are various fixes that can be applied to the USB controller code in DSDT (if you have the ICH7 or ICH9 Southbridge) that'll increase compatibility with OS X, especially in regards to S3 sleep and wake. Don't worry about that now however.

• Like 1

Many thanks Gringo Vermelho.

I am going to attempt one more time to install it. I am also trying to install another file this time. I need to just know (and I feel like a complete noob saying this but) exactly what to do next. I spend 2 hours last night to understand my CPU and the problem better. To no avail. The only thing I learnt, my DVD is IDE and my HDDs are SATA. What has really competely bowled me over is the fact that I have installed a near-perfect OS X Leopard ON THIS VERY machine. ANd now it just refuses. I have a feeling it is the EasyBCD from the previous install. It also shows a MAX OS X in the bootscreen in the beginning.

I will do more research. I am doing all this cause I want a very very stable OS X running on my system for everyday use.

But thanks a ton.

You have a G31 chipset, I have a G33. Let me know if the distro you downloaded boots from a DVD drive then I will tell you what to do next.

By the way, I prefer USB drives for installs as you can edit them. So try to write your image to a USB drive, if possible.

• Like 1