[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i'll give Maverick a shot this afternoon, i'm curious if it's any good for our machines compared to ML. Personally, i find ML to be a bit unstable and slow compared to Lion, maybe Maverick is a step forward.

Also, the bloody manual brightness adjusting finally got to me, i've decided i'll try to write and app that uses the webcam as an ambient light sensor, maybe even turn off the screen when no face is detected (this is going to be a challenge). 

Hi Doix,

Well i have tried OS X 10.9 Mavericks couple of days back, Well i couldn't get Intel HD 3000 active, I mean no graphics acceleration QE/CI with the new kexts and in system profiler just showed 64 MB. Intelcapriframebuffer and intel hd 3000 graphic kext are the culprits, reverted back to 10.8.4 kexts and in system profiler intel hd 3000 detected with 512 MB but still no transparent menu bar ( which means i guess no QE/CI) and graphics looked choppy.  

Well for me atleast OS X 10.9 looked sluggish with 108 processes, 410 threads, memory consumption was around 2.3 GB on cold boot and finally 1.4 GB after few reboots that too without active intel HD 3000 kexts ( In Sow leopard 10.6.8 without active graphic kexts memory consumption is around 800-900 MB)

I am still using Snow Leo 10.6.8 and even i felt the same Lion is much smoother than ML and i think 10.9 gonna get even worse. I don't have any more hopes on OS X and i am going back to Windows 7. By the way windows 8 seems to be much ahead of the race with 29 processes and consumes around 800 MB, apart from the UI debacle. And in future Windows 9 will be rolling out with only 27 processes and memory consumption around 256 MB on a 1 GB machine and around 550 MB on my 8 GB machine. I think Apple should concentrate on lowering the consumption of resources rather than adding features from iOS.

By the way forgot to say that now OS X 10.9 Mavericks is heavier by 1.5 GB when compared with OS X 10.8.4 which consumes around 5.5 GB where as OS X 10.9 consumes 7 GB. This shows that they added a lot of {censored} and bloat to the OS rather than making it power users friendly.

@Mackyreddy

Right from the installer i noticed the gfx kexts are dodgy, so dodgy it didn't even properly load the install screen. I think apple focused this DP on the latest specs their machines have, or they just forfeited mobiles users all together. I may give it another try later.

As for the resource consumption... i don't really mind an extra 1gb eaten, DDR3 is cheap these days, so that isn't much of a problem, but rather their lack of proper resource management when nothing is running (this was the case with ML, i've yet to see MV).

But yes, i feel your pain, OS X seems to have stagnated since Snow Leopard/Lion. I'm considering Ubuntu as my main OS now. Same goes for their iOS, latest versions just don't live up to user expectation.

Hi @Doix I have 2 questions:

1. I currently have 10.8.2 installed using iAtkos ML2. I have downloaded the combo update from Apple's website and after the update, which kexts should I replace?
  2. Clover is installed in my EFI partition, when booting, I get a fading white screen after the verbose boot with no mouse pointer. When I install chameleon bootloader in the EFI partition, I get "Operation system not found"(Shouldn't it be "Operating system"?) message. I had to install Chameleon onto my USB stick and boot from that. But the chameleon bootloader on my USB stick gives me an error when I tries to boot Windows 8 (something about /boot/BSD). Is it possible to have 2 bootloaders at the same time - Boot into Clover first, then Chameleon when selecting the OS X partition? Or is there a fix to the fading white screen issue i'm experiencing? 

My Partition Structure from "diskutil list":

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data                         209.7 GB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS Mac OS  X               247.0 GB   disk0s4
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Ben

Hello,

I am having an Dell XPS L502X with an i7-2860QM , Nvidia GT540m 2GB, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 3000, 1920x1080 Display.

I am trying to install iAtkos ML2 with "npci=0x3000 UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1" with following options:

Bootloader

Evore

Disabler

GraphicsMode : 1920x1080

PS/2

LaptopBattery

FakeSMC

RTC

MacModel : MacBook Pro 8,1

But after its installed & when i boot into OS X it gives error that "You have to restart your pc.Hold power button" & sometimes a crossed circle is displayed.  :(

Need Help for proper installation.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Hello,

I am having an Dell XPS L502X with an i7-2860QM , Nvidia GT540m 2GB, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 3000, 1920x1080 Display.

I am trying to install iAtkos ML2 with "npci=0x3000 UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1" with following options:

Bootloader

Evore

Disabler

GraphicsMode : 1920x1080

PS/2

LaptopBattery

FakeSMC

RTC

MacModel : MacBook Pro 8,1

But after its installed & when i boot into OS X it gives error that "You have to restart your pc.Hold power button" & sometimes a crossed circle is displayed.   :(

Need Help for proper installation.

Thanks in advance.   :)

check the ML2 installation part of the tutorial here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273500-os-x-mountain-lion-install-guide-for-dell-xps-17-l702x-optimus/?pid=1783895&do=findComment&comment=1783895

Hi Doix,

I want to insert a Dual Link patch to the DSDT but not able to compile it successfully due to Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) conflict.

Can you help me out in adding this Dual Link patch to my DSDT.

I have tried your Org.chameleon.boot.plist with dual link patch, but there seem to be some sought of memory leak problem, So i was interested in adding dual link patch into DSDT but couldn't compile it successfully.

A.19 Nvidia Off DSDT.zip

This is the reason why i am trying to inject dual link patch to the DSDT and try the 4th and last option Nvidia Off A.19 DSDT and with normal org.chameleon.boot.plist ( In absence of Dual Link Patched org.chameleon.boot.plist screen remains blank). Looks funny & weird, never spotted anything like this before.

Is the Dual Link Patched org.chameleon.boot.plist the culprit ?

Does this happens on XPS 15 ?

Nvidia enabled, Dual Link patch included A.19 DSDT and with normal org.chameleon.boot.plist

2zob67p.jpg

Nvidia enabled, Dual Link patch included A.19 DSDT and with Dual Link Patched org.chameleon.boot.plist

fn4xuh.jpg

Nvidia Off A.19 DSDT and with Dual Link Patched org.chameleon.boot.plist

34sjjar.jpg

@Macky, i'm not sure what i should see in those pics ( VM size? ). As for the DSDT, maybe your system requires \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.GFX0._PS3 () and \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.GFX0._OFF () or just \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.GFX0._OFF () in the PINI method.. or perhaps it doesn't use the _Wak method. I have no idea.

You can always try the bootloader I posted on the previous page, it's modified to include the DualLink Patch with GraphicsEnabler=Yes ... or see if the DSDT from killer567 works.

@ Killer567

Thanks got it working without device properties in org.chameleon.noot.plist.

@ Doix

Sorry for didn't pointing out, i don't know whether i am on a wild goose chase, but i spotted the difference in memory usage with Stock DSDT with Nvidia code and Nvidia Off DSDT.

With stock DSDT on boot Memory consumption is around 1.4 GB or even less where as with Nvidia off DSDT its around 1.6 GB in Lion.

Update:

Confirmed difference in Memory consumption with different DSDT's, something is wrong with Nvidia Off DSDT as its consuming more Ram when compared to the stock. Just check by simply replacing DSDT and reboot, there is a difference in number of processes loaded and Consumed Memory.

In 10.8.4 ( freshly installed base) on boot with stock DSDT Ram is idling out around 1.7 GB and with Nvidia Off its around 1.9 GB. Even there is difference in processes.

Can anyone confirm whether this happens on XPS 15 ? 

Memory consumption is stable on my system, no matter what DSDT or efi string i use or not use. The only thing that would be directly affected by these is the kernel_task, see how much memory it uses on your machine at boot with each scenario. Mine is at ±400mb at boot

Try clover and see if the problem still persists, it may be a bootloader issue. Also, boot with maxmem=6144 ... maybe the problem manifests itself at 8gb ram (i only have 6)

hey webcivilian do you have the difference in memory consumption on L702x with different DSDT's ?

I have successfully compiled DSDT with Dual Link Patch and attached it for your reference, now we no longer need EFI strings or device properties in org.chameleon.boot.plist. But still the memory consumption is high, except for the stock DSDT.

22 June Nvidia Off DSDT with Dual Link Patch.zip

@webcivilian extra_content.zip

This is the content of my Maverick Extra folder.

You should delete any graphics related kext from the boot installer to avoid possible graphic hangs.

Don't forget to add fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement (both installer and the installed mavericks)

@macky, have you tried what i suggested? Considering that the L702x has a different bios it could simply be that it is not a memory leakage, it's just how the system uses the memory when the extra 2gb from the Nvidia GPU is present versus when it is not. As a matter of fact, you should do a geek bench test with the Nvidia OFF and Stock DSDT, see if there's any significant score difference at the memory section. This will provide you with more info.

Speaking of memory problems. My L502x is KP due to memory overload (or something) i have 1x4gb module and another 1x2gb one. If i only use one of them, or boot with maxmem=4096 the KPs are gone. It may be related to dual channel memory conflict (because of the different values). I'll test it when my 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 arrives.

Edited by DoiX

@ webcivilian

I have used the dual link patch code from killer567 DSDT and modified it according to our scope declarations.

As i have the same identical L702x  just the like one you got, So my question is do you have the differences in memory consumption with Nvida off and stock DSDT ( check my screenshots in the previous page with regards to memory consumption) ? 

@ Doix

Has been busy this week at work with 8.1 preview release, but i have checked the kernel_task as you suggested there's hardly a 30-40 MB difference, with stock DSDT on Lion 10.7.5 its around 328 MB and on Nvidia Off its around 356 MB. Haven't tested Geekbench with different DSDT's, but i can't feel & see any performance issues, So it should be something with Nvidia GPU Present as you said.

By the way have you got QE/CI working on mavericks ? if you have whats your take on mavericks ? Is it better than ML & Lion ? For me still OS X Lion 10.7.5 is the winner on my L702x with smooth transitions and less resource hogger. 

When you got time, please test and report. I'm curious about what the problem may be on your system.

QE/CI is working with the EFI string boot.plist. I noticed some kexts report some kind of error when loading at boot. Have you tried to repair the Maverick partition with Disk Utility? (Kext Wizard isn't doing it's job on MV for me).

I can't say yet, i'm having SpeedStepper problems with 10.9, i can't seem to boot without nullcpu, doesn't matter if the AICPUPM.kext is patched or the bios is patched. I always get P-Stepper Error XX on CPU 0 or something similar. I'll try to get it fully functional after i get a week off. (next week or two).

I did a GPU bench on 10.9 but it's not good enough to be taken into comparison with ML because IGPU relies on the CPU SpeedStep, if that isn't working then the GPU bench score will be lower....

@ Doix

As requested, freshly installed OS X 10.7.5 ( mac app store dmg) on External flash drive with GPT, but still results are pretty much the same as i mentioned previously. Something is there in the Nvidia Off DSDT which is bobbing my head, as i have tried iATKOS ML2, OS X 10.8.4 Mac app store DMG, OS X 10.7.5 Mac app store DMG, installed into both internal hard drives and also installed to external drives. But still same results, So DSDT has to be the Culprit.

The reason why i tried different installations options is i generally use my ready pre installed OS X ( and they are also stripped down versions), So i thought it might be some mistake from my side, but it doesn't seems to be and i am also waiting for someone with L702x to confirm the problem, as i need to know if everyone on L702x having this problem or i am being the exception.

Well Doix I am planning to start all again in creating a new Nvidia Off DSDT. As you know i am still using your L502x GFX0, IGPU, MEM2 code in the DSDT. I knew it straight away its different, but couldn't compile the DSDT successfully with my Nvidia Optimus SSDT table code as it resulted in hundred's of error's. So i decided to included your L502x GFX0, IGPU, MEM2 code as it compiled successfully and worked flawlessly. So i think the problem should be somewhere in this part of the code which i think is bit incompatible with L702x, as the rest of the code is identical with my stock DSDT. So i will start digging into the code and try to replace the code from my Nvidia Optimus SSDT in the coming weeks and let you know.

Also pretty much the same results with maxmem=6144, check the screenshots.

Regarding cloverefi it never worked on my system or i don't know how to make it work.

I can't see any performance issues as such.

GeekBench Score on Stock DSDT With Nvidia Code  http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2110752

GeekBench Score on Nvidia Off DSDT With Dual Link Patch   http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2110728

I am adding references for you, in case if you want to have a look at it.

@ Webcivilian

I am waiting for you to confirm whether you have the memory consumption differences or not ? So that i can start digging into DSDT code. 

post-197843-0-24363100-1372555866_thumb.png

post-197843-0-21477200-1372555884_thumb.png

A.19 DSDT.zip

Nvidia Off DSDT With Dual Link Patch.zip

Nvidia Optimus SSDT Table.zip

post-197843-0-08831500-1372590056_thumb.png

post-197843-0-69220700-1372590080_thumb.png

@Macky, in theory 10.9, stripped down of the maps frameworks and whatnot, should require less resources. This is just my opinion based on my short interaction with it.

@webcivilian: repair permissions with disk utility on the whole boot partition... boot with GraphicsEnabler=No, maybe the problem lies there?