[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Hi,

First I want to thank wen1 and DoiX for the great tutorials.

However I could not manage to complete the installation. First let me mentioned I googled the problem and got nowhere. I am Using IATKOS S3 V2 with #####.

I managed to boot the installer with the arguments -v -f -x cpus=1 busratio=20 GraphicsEnabler=no.

The first problem was when I ran the installer it said "The Following components are not found : Essential System Software" and stopped the installation. Then I changed the files OSInstall and OSInstall.mpkg from http://www.osx86.net/view/224-osinstall_framework_for_10.6_mbr_installs.html .

Then I tried installing again this time that error did not occur, but there was a warning which says none of the components I chose to install ( including Essential System Software Group) could be found, but the installation would continue. The continued installation took like 10 seconds and actually installed nothing. I would really be grateful if anybody can help with that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, is anyone else having problems with QE/CI on the HD 3000? I'm running ML 10.8.3, and while HD 3000 is detected and I can change resolutions, I don't think it's actually being used.

For instance: Graphics effects like opening a folder in grid view are super slow. OpenGL Extensions Viewer only shows "Apple Software Render" (meaning no hardware acceleration), and any application that tries to create an OpenGL 3d buffer (like Unigine Heaven or FurMark) fails.

I've been running SL and Lion before this, and I'm not sure if I had the same problem then. Can anyone confirm that they actually get hardware acceleration on an L502x? I always assumed mine did because it says "HD 3000," but guess not.

--Adeeb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Generic USB3 Kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/page__st__120

What i gathered so far: plugging in iDevices doesn't cause KP or CPU throttle, they are picked up by iTunes now. External drives are also working great, so are Android devices.

Remember to delete your PXHCD.kext before installing this kext.

Generic USB3 Kext: http://www.insanelym...e/page__st__120

What i gathered so far: plugging in iDevices doesn't cause KP or CPU throttle, they are picked up by iTunes now. External drives are also working great, so are Android devices.

Remember to delete your PXHCD.kext before installing this kext.

Works for me. Although I don't seem to be able to shutdown anymore. Screen goes blank, but power light and usb devices stay on. Could you also comment on my HD 3000 problem? It would be nice if you could confirm that you truly get QE/CI support (try running FurMark or Unigine or some other benchmark)

Works for me. Although I don't seem to be able to shutdown anymore. Screen goes blank, but power light and usb devices stay on. Could you also comment on my HD 3000 problem? It would be nice if you could confirm that you truly get QE/CI support (try running FurMark or Unigine or some other benchmark)

FurMark - Low score but i guess it's expected from the HD3000.

post-167221-0-19216300-1369476059_thumb.png

About the USB3 shutdown bug, i don't seem to have it, i do however experience a sleep bug that ressembles your shutdown one. It only occurs when i have something plugged in the USB ports and only when autosleep is involved.

Edit: I just remembered something, did you update to 10.8.3 via the software update or did you use the combo? I'm asking because, if memory serves, 10.8.3 introduced new drivers for HD4000, those didn't really play well with HD3000. Here are my kexts from 10.8.1 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16173714/adeebm_intelHD3000_1081_kexts.zip see if this fixes your problem.

Edited by DoiX

Tried the kexts but no dice. So if you're able to run FurMark then you do have full acceleration. I can't run it at all, nothing with OpenGL even starts for me.

Could you see what system profiler says about your display? Mine says:

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 384 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0126

Revision ID: 0x0009

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

I do believe it should say Intel HD Graphics 3000 Mobile? Maybe it thinks mine is the desktop version for some reason.

Also: The shutdown issue seems to have gone away now(or maybe it's only when I have something in the USB3 port).

--Adeeb

Well, the kexts seem to be loading fine. There's some conflict somewhere. I'll assume it's from the efi string.

Try this:

See if it works.

Hi Doix, Can you please look into my problem?

I installed clover boot loader with the UEFI setting on a 4GB flash drive, but when i boot from it, i can only see a white line blinking in the top left corner. I also tried iAtkos ML3U but ended up with the same result. My BIOS is set to UEFI boot only.

Thanks

Ben

Well, the kexts seem to be loading fine. There's some conflict somewhere. I'll assume it's from the efi string.

Try this:

• backup your current boot.plist
  • remove the efi string
  • install latest version of enoch http://www.insanelym.../file/71-enoch/
  • in the customize section of enoch Settings > Video > check EnableDualLink=Yes and SkipNvidiaGfx=Yes just in case
  • Install

See if it works.

I get the split yellow screen, meaning EnableDualLink=Yes didn't work. I did check for QE/CI anyway, and no luck. So removing the EFI string didn't help.

EDIT: I edited my DSDT and added the dual-link property. My display now works without the efi string. Still no QE/CI however.

--Adeeb

Hmm, i'll look into the source code of the values injected by the bootloader. I'm thinking something isn't quite right for your system.

@Ben, i'm sorry, i don't have experience with UEFI. TimeWalker does however, see if he can help you... or ask in the clover thread.

Update:

Alright, adeebm, try this: Chameleon-2.2svn-r2238_l502x_hd3000_116.pkg.zip after installing boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes

If you still don't have QE/CI then it's related to the kernel extensions. Check with Kext Wizard or System Information > Extensions if AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB and AppleIntelHD3000Graphics are loaded and are both the same version (mine are 8.0.0) also check for AGPM and IONDRVSupport.

I'm out of ideas, it's difficult cu asses what may be wrong when i don't have the device in front of me. My only suggestion is to try and reinstall, the vanilla way, 10.8.0 or 10.8.1 on a spare partition if you have, so you don't mess up your working OS X for something that has no certainty. Or try some backup utility (Carbon Copy) if you have enough space.

Hi at all,

I´m trying to install mountain Lion on my XPS 15. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (the application from the tutorial didn´t workl....). After that i patched my usb driver with the mbr-patch.

I installed it on mbr-partion and used the tool given in the tutorial (Post-Instalation).

But now I have this error:

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80002b7e95).....

(Atteched picture)

Could someone Help me?

Thanks!

The_OTTO

post-1109014-0-59337100-1370194874_thumb.jpg

@ALL

I just updated 10.8.3 to 10.8.4 with Delta Update (downloaded here, not via AppStore)

In my case, I just had to reinstall the HDA Kexts

@amh10

AppleHDA files from 10.8.2

Note:

Somehow every Delta worked - even the installer said installation failed - for me since 10.8.2

Sometimes the same happens on Updates like Safari - I just ignore the messages :)

@The_OTTO:

Hi at all,

I´m trying to install mountain Lion on my XPS 15. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (the application from the tutorial didn´t workl....). After that i patched my usb driver with the mbr-patch.

I installed it on mbr-partion and used the tool given in the tutorial (Post-Instalation).

But now I have this error:

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80002b7e95).....

(Atteched picture)

Could someone Help me?

Thanks!

The_OTTO

Wasn't [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] supposed to work with TonyMac's compatible Hardware only?

You should try the tutorials again - what exactly on the tutorial didn't worked for you? And what kind of XPS are you running?

is44c, Can you please post your extra folder for an L322x? Thanks

Also L322x works now too. I have copied the Extra folder from my working L321x and paste to the OSX USB drive and it boots with -x -v. The remaining is just like what I have done for L321x following Doix's guide. I searched and found the UEFI string for HD4000 and it indeed works!

Hi at all,

I sucessfully made a hackintosh oh my l502x. Most things work but I have a few problems:

Wlan

Graphics (sometimes the half of some icons are at another place and I can only use the Intel HD Graphics 3000)

Sound (sometimes it works, sometimes not...)

Could someone help me please?

The_OTTO

Hi at all,

I sucessfully made a hackintosh oh my l502x. Most things work but I have a few problems:

Wlan

Graphics (sometimes the half of some icons are at another place and I can only use the Intel HD Graphics 3000)

Sound (sometimes it works, sometimes not...)

Could someone help me please?

The_OTTO

Congrats :)

10.8.4 ?

Sound: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/page-116?do=findComment&comment=1897823, maybe these can get the Job done.

Graphics: And no, there is currently no support for the integrated Nvidia GPU, means Intel HD 3000 only.

Wifi: Needs to be relaced by an Dell DW 1510 (eBay for e.g.)

Offtopic: are you from Germany?

Again, there ist no way to run the NVIDIA GPU.

the screenshots looks like a messed up HD3000.

tomorrow I'll try to get some spare time this week, to help you out.