[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

hi sybexs,

thanks for the DSDT...unfortunately it didnt change anything,still no nvidia graphics.i did install tonymac nvidia update again but same result.

but you have the 3D version right???strange that it doesnt work but as i said if i boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy nvidia works.

i will wait for the other guy,hopefully he will find the problem.but thanks anyway!!!

greets kai

I have to admit, I have been lazy and have been using the legacy cd and have not setup mac on a mbr. I will do it this weekend or tonight matters on workload. I suspect this is probably why i cant get certain items to work through the dsdt.

I do have the gt 555m HD version with 3g video ram. I have to double check the dsdt to see if i included the edits for the video card. you might also want to try the NVenabler from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd along with the kexts from the tonymac zip. The other thing you might want to try is the install of the new cuda drivers for os x. Some of the kexts might need to be edited with your device id to get working properly.

The video edits require an install of osx with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd and working video to pull info from the IORegistry.

Install Procedure Dell XPS 17 L702X with 3D Graphics

@wen1,sybexs

got 10.6.8 10k524 fully working now!

here are differences to wen1 guide for l502

just follow wen1 guide but after installing 10.6.8 update you need to run tonymac BridgeHelper 2.01 !!!

the kernel included there is the only one working for me.

then go on with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url],install with same options except you need to check boot options: GraphicsEnabler=Yes/64bit Apple Screen

then native resoltion works as well as sound and all usb!

only thing is still the low benchmark i get.

trying geekbench 64-bit my i7 2720 gets around 7700 points,it supposed to be between 10000-11000

can some people posts their result??

im still waiting for the modified dsdt from Madl0n which maybe bring some more imprvements.

good luck to everybody!!!

@wen1

maybe you could ad this to your original post...and also id like to ask you if you changed at any point the kernel bbecause i dont really understand why only the 3d version needs the different kernel,specs of l502x and l702x are nearly the same except non optimus.couls this really cause the kernel panic??

@sybexs

i think you could give it a try now to install with chimera,i think should work for you too and sound will be working then...i would be still happy if you have ideas to improve dsdt

thanks and greets kai

Install Procedure Dell XPS 17 L702X with 3D Graphics

@wen1,sybexs

got 10.6.8 10k524 fully working now!

here are differences to wen1 guide for l502

just follow wen1 guide but after installing 10.6.8 update you need to run tonymac BridgeHelper 2.01 !!!

the kernel included there is the only one working for me.

then go on with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url],install with same options except you need to check boot options: GraphicsEnabler=Yes/64bit Apple Screen

then native resoltion works as well as sound and all usb!

only thing is still the low benchmark i get.

trying geekbench 64-bit my i7 2720 gets around 7700 points,it supposed to be between 10000-11000

can some people posts their result??

im still waiting for the modified dsdt from Madl0n which maybe bring some more imprvements.

good luck to everybody!!!

@wen1

maybe you could ad this to your original post...and also id like to ask you if you changed at any point the kernel bbecause i dont really understand why only the 3d version needs the different kernel,specs of l502x and l702x are nearly the same except non optimus.couls this really cause the kernel panic??

@sybexs

i think you could give it a try now to install with chimera,i think should work for you too and sound will be working then...i would be still happy if you have ideas to improve dsdt

thanks and greets kai

ehi, l702x too, 3D ;D

in your guide you forgot that we need to backup AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIfamily.kext before the combo update (10.6.8), and then replace the new ones with the olders.

This is necessary to avoid the PCI error @reboot.

ehi, l702x too, 3D ;D

in your guide you forgot that we need to backup AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIfamily.kext before the combo update (10.6.8), and then replace the new ones with the olders.

hi jumo,

thanks and sorry,you are right,you have to back up those kexts (from 10.6.3 install) and install + repair permission before you restart.

one question,which kernel you are using?? also the one from sandybridgehelper??

did you made any benchmarks since the cpu nad whole system performance is only at about 70% with xbench and geekbench...thats the only thing which i would like to have improved!

greets kai

hi jumo,

thanks and sorry,you are right,you have to back up those kexts (from 10.6.3 install) and install + repair permission before you restart.

one question,which kernel you are using?? also the one from sandybridgehelper??

did you made any benchmarks since the cpu nad whole system performance is only at about 70% with xbench and geekbench...thats the only thing which i would like to have improved!

greets kai

yep i'm using the sandybrirgehelper because it's the only one that works,

i can't do a benchmark because i still need to boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy, without the PC can't find the installation

I had grub installed before and i think i need to reinstall it, or find someway :\

ehi, l702x too, 3D ;D

I think if you do step 11 after applying the 10.6.8 update, you won't get the error. I found out the hard way too. I did it twice, once at step 11 and then once after the 10.6.8 update.

Has anyone with the l502x got the nvidia card working? I installed the tonymac 2.0 update. It seems that there is something in the system profiler, but it looks a little incomplete.

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0df5

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display Connector:

If i boot with GraphicsEnabler=yes, I get an error and a stalled boot.

@ wen1

hi wen1,

just a short question,i was sending my dsdt to madl0n but he was writing back its not the original one.

could you let me know when i ahve to extract the dsdt with his sendme.zip?

do i have to do it after a blank 10.6.3 installation or could i use my already installed system while im booting with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy cd,so without dsdt and loaded kexts??

thought i ask you because madl0n is so busy and you did send already yours to him

thanks fo your help

@ wen1

hi wen1,

just a short question,i was sending my dsdt to madl0n but he was writing back its not the original one.

do i have to do it after a blank 10.6.3 installation or could i use my already installed system while im booting with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy cd,so without dsdt and loaded kexts??

thought i ask you because madl0n is so busy and you did send already yours to him

thanks fo your help

You need to use a vanilla dsdt file, load it up and then run the zip file. To generate the vanilla dsdt file you can generate it in windows, you would just need to fix the compile errors before it can be used. If you need one i can send you one from my system since they are so similar i don't see why not.

I am interested to see how his edits will change the system and if that will solve the problem with the CPU not being fully utilized and enable the turbo boost.

You need to use a vanilla dsdt file, load it up and then run the zip file. To generate the vanilla dsdt file you can generate it in windows, you would just need to fix the compile errors before it can be used. If you need one i can send you one from my system since they are so similar i don't see why not.

I am interested to see how his edits will change the system and if that will solve the problem with the CPU not being fully utilized and enable the turbo boost.

do you know how to fix a precedent install of grub?

chameleon doesn't work for some reason :\

Boot the system with no other DSDTs

Then run the utility that creates the sendme.zip file.

@ wen1

hi wen1,

thanks fo your help

@wen1

thanks for your help,im uploading the zip to madl0n right now and will let everybody know how it works.

@sybexs

soon as i got the new dsdt i will let you know how it works and if it brings "full" speed to the cpu

at the moment my benchmark went up a little bit to 8000,should be 10000-11000 with geekbench.

thanks to everybody for the help!!!!!!

greets

I am interested to see how his edits will change the system and if that will solve the problem with the CPU not being fully utilizand enable the turbo boost.

hi sybexs,

i was sending the sendme.zip again to madl0n,the way wen1 described(so without preloaded dsdt) but madl0n wrote back i have to extract it while using the original kernel from 10.6.8

problem is that i cant boot into mac os with orig kernel,no way.maybe you could send me your vanilla dsdt or even you extract the sendmezip and i will ask madl0n if this is ok to patch.

im keen to,to get cpu fully working.do you know how i can check if speedstep is working.

also one other question to everybody: aince i installed all my programs i dont want to mess up my system with to much try&error.for that i made a complete timemachine backup but if i try to restore it it tells me that backup is not made on the same machine.i guess its because now its a mackbookpro8.1 and when im trying to boot from 10.6.3 install boot it boots up as macbookpro3.1.anyway to implement the 8.1 specs while booting the install disc?

thankd for your help and sorry for so many questions,im still learning with hacjintosh!

greets and thanks

kai

hi sybexs,

i was sending the sendme.zip again to madl0n,the way wen1 described(so without preloaded dsdt) but madl0n wrote back i have to extract it while using the original kernel from 10.6.8

problem is that i cant boot into mac os with orig kernel,no way.maybe you could send me your vanilla dsdt or even you extract the sendmezip and i will ask madl0n if this is ok to patch.

im keen to,to get cpu fully working.do you know how i can check if speedstep is working.

also one other question to everybody: aince i installed all my programs i dont want to mess up my system with to much try&error.for that i made a complete timemachine backup but if i try to restore it it tells me that backup is not made on the same machine.i guess its because now its a mackbookpro8.1 and when im trying to boot from 10.6.3 install boot it boots up as macbookpro3.1.anyway to implement the 8.1 specs while booting the install disc?

thankd for your help and sorry for so many questions,im still learning with hacjintosh!

greets and thanks

kai

i'll see if i can pull the kernel out of 10.6.8 10k540 package and get you a dsdt file. You can read more about speedstep here... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631.

Not to keen on timemachine i just reinstall each time to ensure its fresh.

Can someone with a working install please do me a favor.....

Can you try to boot with -f at the chimera bootloader.

If i do that, it stalls immediately into the boot sequence. So when I installed software that

required flagging at boot, I bricked my install....

Is there a workaround?

Mark.

Can someone with a working install please do me a favor.....

Can you try to boot with -f at the chimera bootloader.

If i do that, it stalls immediately into the boot sequence. So when I installed software that

required flagging at boot, I bricked my install....

Is there a workaround?

Mark.

what stage in the install process are you at?

what stage in the install process are you at?

This is after a successful install. I installed little snitch and when it rebooted it stuck at the beginning of the boot

sequence. It was only later, during failed install attempts that I realized that it was when the -f command was

used. I can get the same result if I boot the modified install usb drive with -f from the chimera bootloader.

If you boot with -f from chimera, what happens?

Hello everyone! I installed SL with this guide on Dell N5110 2630QM (15R 2011) quite successfully. Graphics, audio, WiFi works.

The only question I have is about graphics artifacts. Can I leave them behind by just upgrading the memory? In some documentation I found that my notebook supports up to 6Gb memory installed, and a 4Gb is already installed. Will instalation of 2Gb change something?

Thank you.

Hi Guys,

sorry short question...10.6.8 was running perfect but today after booting i couldnt use the keyboard or left7right mouse button.i had to wait about 2-3 min. then it worked again.

did anybody ever had the same.

like i said it was working perfect then after reboot no input possible for 3 min.

i reinstalled the kexts,same result...out of nothing!

any ideas?? i would be very thankfull!!!

@ sybexs

man,i was meanwhile able to install 10.6.8(final) without changing kernel to the bridgehelper version.

but still same low benchmark (about 75% of what macbook pro with same cpu (i7 2720) should bring.

im still waiting for the edited dsdt from madl0n,will let you know if this one improves cpu benchmark.

its still fast like hell(tryd my musicprogramm yesterday with lots of synths and effects) but i would like to see "fullspeed".

thanks and greets kai

Hello again. Back with the good news!

I bought new RAM (2Gb, Samsung same as preinstalled 4Gb) and have now 6Gb RAM total.

And there is no artifacts now.

I used MacBook Pro 8,3 smbios and boot.plist with string from first post.

I'm completely shure that it works, because I have no artifacts even in Aperture and no lines on desktop! Congrats!

This is after a successful install. I installed little snitch and when it rebooted it stuck at the beginning of the boot

sequence. It was only later, during failed install attempts that I realized that it was when the -f command was

used. I can get the same result if I boot the modified install usb drive with -f from the chimera bootloader.

If you boot with -f from chimera, what happens?

Can someone with a working install please boot with -f and let me know if the boot completes, or if it stalls.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

sorry short question...10.6.8 was running perfect but today after booting i couldnt use the keyboard or left7right mouse button.i had to wait about 2-3 min. then it worked again.

did anybody ever had the same.

like i said it was working perfect then after reboot no input possible for 3 min.

i reinstalled the kexts,same result...out of nothing!

any ideas?? i would be very thankfull!!!

@ sybexs

man,i was meanwhile able to install 10.6.8(final) without changing kernel to the bridgehelper version.

but still same low benchmark (about 75% of what macbook pro with same cpu (i7 2720) should bring.

im still waiting for the edited dsdt from madl0n,will let you know if this one improves cpu benchmark.

its still fast like hell(tryd my musicprogramm yesterday with lots of synths and effects) but i would like to see "fullspeed".

thanks and greets kai

Been really busy with work and about to leave for vacation, not sure Mald0n will make the edits for speedstepping Iam hoping he does. you might need to request it and i think he might need your pstates, unless he already has that from a similar cpu. there is also another bootloader called revboot that i been reading about which loads up the ssdt file for cpu info. havent really figured it out tho. the boot loader we are using alsi supports ssdt files as well, just not sure how they work.

Hey guys!

I did every step of the amazing guide from wen1.

It all went well until the DTST.aml file, i think.

I have an Dell XPS 15 l502x with the following specs:

i7 2720qm (so i use busratio=22)

8GB of ram (I've removed 4GB, because i thought you can't have more than 4GB ram on the installation of a Hackintosh)

NVIDIA GeForce GT540m

15,6-inch HD WLED, TrueLife (the cheapest one)

9-cels Lithium-ion

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230

My partition table is the following:

1. Windows 7 (Primary) (NTFS)

2. Mac OS X (Primary) (HFS+)

3. BackTrack 5 (Primary) (EXT3)

4. Extended

-- SwapData (so i can acces files on every OS, formatted in FAT32) (FAT32)

-- DATA (a partition for Windows so i don't have to use the Program Files folder.) (NTFS)

When i do the Combo Update to 10.6.8, install the things in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], copy the DTST.aml file to my Mac OS X-partition, change the com.apple.Boot.plist and install all of the 5 kexts. I cannot boot Mac OS X anymore. How is this possible?

I get this message: [ PCI Configuration Begin ]

I think it's the DTST.aml file, or the change in com.apple.Boot.plist

But I don't know how to solve it.

Is there somebody that can help?

Maik Verheijen

I'm gonna try to first install Mac OS X on my laptop. instead of Windows 7.

Maybe that will make the difference. Also i skip the DTST.aml file. I think it's not supported for my lappy.

I'll update soon.

Maik Verheijen