GTX 260 - What am I doing wrong! QE/CI not working and low resolution.

Barker1337

43 posts in this topic

Ok - firstly stop making edits to stock kexts - As far as I know you don't have to!

If you keep making changes to the install it's going to be harder to help you.

ioregexplorer is part of XCode applications (sorry for previous typo).

Install xcode and either search 'ioregexplorer' in spotlight or you can find it in /Developer/Applications/Utilities

Once running ioregexplorer goto file and 'save copy as' save and post the file here.

Also as you've made edits to some stock kexts I'd like to to do a fresh install BUT please do not run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]! just use the chameleon installer I linked earlier and install the kexts you need!

I don't know what options you've selected in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], I don't use it and don't know what changes it's made to your insatll - i.e - have you selected any GFX options?.

@ mitch_de .. This device id isn't listed in NVDANV50hal.kext but neither is 05E2 which is the id for my old GTX260?

I can see 10DE05EA listed in nVidia.c!

D

Ok - firstly stop making edits to stock kexts - As far as I know you don't have to!

If you keep making changes to the install it's going to be harder to help you.

ioregexplorer is part of XCode applications (sorry for previous typo).

Install xcode and either search 'ioregexplorer' in spotlight or you can find it in /Developer/Applications/Utilities

Once running ioregexplorer goto file and 'save copy as' save and post the file here.

Also as you've made edits to some stock kexts I'd like to to do a fresh install BUT please do not run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]! just use the chameleon installer I linked earlier and install the kexts you need!

I don't know what options you've selected in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], I don't use it and don't know what changes it's made to your insatll - i.e - have you selected any GFX options?.

@ mitch_de .. This device id isn't listed in NVDANV50hal.kext but neither is 05E2 which is the id for my old GTX260?

I can see 10DE05EA listed in nVidia.c!

D

Okay, I did a fresh install without using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. And installed your version of chameloen, ran ioreg and here is the file

James's Mac Pro Ioreg

I hope this finally works!

thanks

Okay, I did a fresh install without using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. And installed your version of chameloen, ran ioreg and here is the file

James's Mac Pro Ioreg

I hope this finally works!

thanks

OK I'm at work so I wont be able to look at this until this evening.

In the mean time - have you updated to 10.6.6 yet? if not please do!

Also with this fresh install, once updated to 10.6.6 can you try GraphicsEnabler=Yes either at the Chameleon boot prompt or add it to the boot.plist as bellow:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If that doesn't work I'll edit your DSDT this evening.

D

Hey mate. Yeah it's updated and I added that to the boot.plist file but nothing changed

Thanks

try this in /Extra

If that doesn't work I think I'm out of ideas mate

dsdt.aml.zip

EDIT - what i still dont get is why the device id isn't in the Nvidia kext.

I made no edits to nvidia kext when I ran my gtx260 up to, i think, 10.6.4!

D

try this in /Extra

If that doesn't work I think I'm out of ideas mate

dsdt.aml.zip

EDIT - what i still dont get is why the device id isn't in the Nvidia kext.

I made no edits to nvidia kext when I ran my gtx260 up to, i think, 10.6.4!

D

FINALLY! haha

I installed the dsdt.aml file via the Chameloen prefpanel and it wasnt working. In a last effort I re-edited the nvdanv50hal.kext file, installed that and rebooted, got qe/ci working.

the only problem is now that I have resolution options, When I try to change to a higher resolution, i just get a blue screen, rebooting it gets rid of it but yeah. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help! :(

Glad you've gotten some where with this.

It is very bizzar I've gone through all the updates back to 10.6.2 and I can't see either your or my old GTX260 device id's listed in the NVDANV50 kext.

I deffinatly didn't make any edits to the kext! ????

Anyway regarding your blue screen - are you selecting a resolution that is within your monitors spec?

Also can you repost your IOREgexplorer dump now that the card is registered as I may have made the edit to the wrong part of your DSDT. Not that this would cause the blue screen problem.

D

Glad you've gotten some where with this.

It is very bizzar I've gone through all the updates back to 10.6.2 and I can't see either your or my old GTX260 device id's listed in the NVDANV50 kext.

I deffinatly didn't make any edits to the kext! ????

Anyway regarding your blue screen - are you selecting a resolution that is within your monitors spec?

Also can you repost your IOREgexplorer dump now that the card is registered as I may have made the edit to the wrong part of your DSDT. Not that this would cause the blue screen problem.

D

No haha I put my device ID into the kext so it would enable the qe/ci.

And yeah, on windows Im running 1366x768x32

but when i select 1360x768x32 in graphics preference panel, Screen goes blue.

I did a quick google search and it came up with this

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7740

maybe a possible fix in here ill play around with it a bit, anyway.

Ok sure thing, except I dont really want to be tempting fate and stuffing it all up again haha, but yeah I need the resolution to be higher its a bit ugly at the moment.

Here it is

Thanks

somethings still not right here. When i search you new ioreg dump, I cant see the GFX0 device I added to the DSDT!

Where have you placed the DSDT file? can you also post com.apple.boot.plist from your Extra folder.

D

somethings still not right here. When i search you new ioreg dump, I cant see the GFX0 device I added to the DSDT!

Where have you placed the DSDT file? can you also post com.apple.boot.plist from your Extra folder.

D

Hey mate,

Well first i ran dsdtse and clicked install on your file which was opened, then i placed it in /extra and then i went to chameleon prefpanel and manually found the file in the browser window and clicked it so it would run at startup.

BTW, how do you upload any file type to this forum? whenenver i try to add a different file like .aml or something it says file type not supported.

Here is the boot.plist file

thanks.

I try this dsdt. I had the GFX device in completely the wrong place.

dsdt.aml.zip

D

Hey mate, i got the resolution working by changing the DVI port, and yeah installed your new boot.plist and dsdt.aml

The only problem is that system profiler is now saying I only have 892mb of vRam, instead of double that, as it used to say 1768 or whatever. Did you type it into the dsdt file wrong?

thanks,

Hey mate, i got the resolution working by changing the DVI port, and yeah installed your new boot.plist and dsdt.aml

The only problem is that system profiler is now saying I only have 892mb of vRam, instead of double that, as it used to say 1768 or whatever. Did you type it into the dsdt file wrong?

thanks,

Its just cosmetic, the edit to you dsdt injects that value and it didn't change it from the value for my old card.

If I's a big deal them feel free to change it, it's listed in your dsdt under "Device (GFX0)" and then "VRAM,totalsize"

You'll need to decode the dsdt with iaslme first!

D

• 1 month later...
Its just cosmetic, the edit to you dsdt injects that value and it didn't change it from the value for my old card.

If I's a big deal them feel free to change it, it's listed in your dsdt under "Device (GFX0)" and then "VRAM,totalsize"

You'll need to decode the dsdt with iaslme first!

D

FKA,

I just accidentally upgraded to 10.6.7, now with no qe/ci and 1280x800 res. How do i go about fixing this?

I am just downgrading back to 10.6.6 for now, but in the future, what do i do?

thankks

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I've been having relatively the same frustrations. The only time I got QE/CI to work on my GTX 260 was in 10.6.4. No idea why, but ever since I upgraded from there I can't get it back. Done the whole dance with the gfx strings and the enabler kexts, upgraded to chameleon RC5 rev8 with GraphicsEnabler, took out the gfx strings and all NV* kexts in S/L/E, tried editing my dsdt.aml as per the second post (resulted in kernel panic even in single user), and here I am.

Currently in 10.6.7, with just GraphicsEnabler as the only thing on trying to get it to work. No QE/CI, but it displays my card correctly in system profiler. After such a terrible kernel panic I'm pretty uncomfortable editing my DSDT file...

Barker mentioned earlier that he edited the NVDANV50 kext and that worked? Is it possible you could post your edited kext?

I've been battling this card trying to get it accelerated for months. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I'll attach my DSDT in an rtf in the event there's anything worthwhile in it. :(

dsdt.rtf

I've been battling this card trying to get it accelerated for months. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I'll attach my DSDT in an rtf in the event there's anything worthwhile in it. :wacko:

Did you see the thread about flashing GTX260 to appear as Mac 285?

might help you out