Rhapsody Install Guide for Bochs

Rhapsody Guru

52 posts in this topic

yea, what country are you moving to?

The UK, from Canada! :D And no family.. just me, going on a great adventure... :D (That's the reason I bought my current macbook, and i'm really glad I got it instead of that cheap Linux Acer laptop that was 700$ lol)

and http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11177

thats the one

max

That is source code too :compress: I did manage to compile it, but it would always compile a PPC binary. Haven't figure out how to get an intel or universal binary yet, and I'm too lazy/busy currently to spend time figuring it out.

Patrix.

I tried installing it. After the install, I keep getting this error.
It doesn't look like your Rhapsody CD is being recognized. You should see:
Registering:  sg0 at Target 1 LUN 0 at sc0
sd0:  Device Block Size:  2048 bytes
sd0:  Device Capacity:	600 MB
sd0:  Device Label:	   RhapsodyDR2

and this isn't what I'm seeing in that shot.

This means that either the CD-ROM driver isn't working or the install CD is damaged (and unreadable).

The UK, from Canada! :D And no family.. just me, going on a great adventure... :blink: (That's the reason I bought my current macbook, and i'm really glad I got it instead of that cheap Linux Acer laptop that was 700$ lol)

That is source code too :poster_oops: I did manage to compile it, but it would always compile a PPC binary. Haven't figure out how to get an intel or universal binary yet, and I'm too lazy/busy currently to spend time figuring it out.

Patrix.

nice, the uk, but cops in the uk are alot stricter... :-p have fun, and idk, thats all i found sorry

max

It doesn't look like your Rhapsody CD is being recognized. You should see:
Registering:  sg0 at Target 1 LUN 0 at sc0
sd0:  Device Block Size:  2048 bytes
sd0:  Device Capacity:	600 MB
sd0:  Device Label:	   RhapsodyDR2

and this isn't what I'm seeing in that shot.

This means that either the CD-ROM driver isn't working or the install CD is damaged (and unreadable).

OOPS... I am sorry... apparently, it must be the CD image file that might be corrupted. The image I used was perfectly fine. If you want it, since you already have the legit media, let me know!

Guru

Any idea on where I can get some software that would run on Rhapsody?
There are tons of places you can get Rhapsody software.

I know that there's a version of Lotus 123 that'll run on it.
That would be news to most everyone that ever used Rhapsody.

The last version of Lotus 1-2-3 that ran on anything similar to Rhapsody was a version for NEXTSTEP (and that version doesn't run in Rhapsody). There was never a port to Rhapsody that I heard of (and that would have been a major event if there was).

thanks for the detailed tutorial, however, after following the steps, i am stuck at the initial GUI screen where logs are being displayed...

the last lines of logs were...

Registering: kmDevice0

root on sd0

rootdev 600, howto 40000

sd0a: Waiting for drive to come ready...........................

sd0a: Disk Not Ready

cannot mount root, errno = 6

root device?

and when I press ENTER, it just gives me another prompt

use sd%d, hd%d, fd%d, en%d or tr%d

root device?

i tried a couple of combinations... sd0a, sd1, fd0, hd0... except for en0, it progressed a bit and reboots. i suspect en0 is the ethernet device...

anyhow... at this point, any ideas what should i do?

It looks like your system isn't registering the CD-ROM drive (which is a little different than colonels' problem above where the CD, or image of the CD, was damaged).

I haven't read Rhapsody Guru's guide, but are you sure that you selected the right driver for the IDE bus?

The same thing happened to me in Parallels, and, as RacerX said, the problem was because I moved the CD image. I repointed Parallels to where the image was, and rebooted Rhapsody and then it worked.

@RacerX / Rhapsody Guru / Arix: thanks for the fast replies. :)

yup, i did choose the "Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE/ATAPI Device Controller (v5.01)" when asked what driver to load.

@Arix: i have placed the ISO file in the Bochs installation folder "%programfiles%\bochs-2.3" and named it "rhapsody_dr2_x86.iso".

bochsrhapsodyke2.th.png

specs of my host pc are:

AthlonXP 2100+ / 1gb DDR400 / 320gb PATA HDD.

@RacerX / Rhapsody Guru / Arix: thanks for the fast replies. :)

yup, i did choose the "Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE/ATAPI Device Controller (v5.01)" when asked what driver to load.

@Arix: i have placed the ISO file in the Bochs installation folder "%programfiles%\bochs-2.3" and named it "rhapsody_dr2_x86.iso".

bochsrhapsodyke2.th.png

specs of my host pc are:

AthlonXP 2100+ / 1gb DDR400 / 320gb PATA HDD.

AH HA! I figured out your problem. The CD-ROM image is not mounted. Just click on the CD button on your toolbar, make sure you select the ISO image, check the "Inserted" check box, then click OK. Now click the reset button. ENJOY!

Guru

i was about to loose hope already. i did try loading other IDE drivers. good thing you've noticed that the cdrom image didn't load. whew!!! cool find, im now installing rhapsody!!! thanks a bunch!!! will post my progress... you really are a guru! thanks again.

UPDATE: i was able to install Rhapsody. Thanks again Rhapsody Guru! However, when I boot into the hard disk, I was prompted with a screen saying...

erase ^? intr ^C kill ^U

#

bochsrhapsodygl4.th.png

UPDATE2: i think i forgot again to mount the ISO file. FYI, Bochs doesn't remember the mounting of the CD in ISO file...

was able to install Rhapsody, yipee!!!

however, i was presented with a wizard, and got stuck at this screen for a long time already... is this the SBOD (spinning ball of death) already? or patience still has to be applied here...

bochsrhapsodyti4.th.png

UPDATE: did a re-install anyways... however this time, i did the following:

- did not use LAN, which is logical as the I didn't specify any LAN adaptors during install

- did not assign a password for both my local user account and local administrator account

did a successful re-install. Thanks again to all especially to Rhapsody Guru! :-)

bochsrhapsodygv1.th.png

was able to install Rhapsody, yipee!!!

however, i was presented with a wizard, and got stuck at this screen for a long time already... is this the SBOD (spinning ball of death) already? or patience still has to be applied here...

bochsrhapsodyti4.th.png

UPDATE: did a re-install anyways... however this time, i did the following:

- did not use LAN, which is logical as the I didn't specify any LAN adaptors during install

- did not assign a password for both my local user account and local administrator account

did a successful re-install. Thanks again to all especially to Rhapsody Guru! :-)

bochsrhapsodygv1.th.png

Hey thank you! Btw... be sure to read this thread (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25827). It talks about a major change to your Rhapsody.bxrc file which enables you to experience fast VGA and processing speed. Remember to read the whole thread AND Don Luca's responses (since he graciously corrected me on something). ENJOY!

Guru

i was about to loose hope already. i did try loading other IDE drivers. good thing you've noticed that the cdrom image didn't load. whew!!! cool find, im now installing rhapsody!!! thanks a bunch!!! will post my progress... you really are a guru! thanks again.

Umm... lol We (RacerX and I) figured out that the image wasn't mounting before Rhapsody did... I guess we just didn't say it in a clear enough way for you.

You owe the credit to us too :D:blink::compress::angel::whistle:;):dev::angel::2cents:

Yeah ARIX... but my english is better spoken than yours. He actually understood what I said! It's not what you say by itself that counts... its also how you convey the message. :P Not to mention the fact that, without my guide, you wouldn't have said a damn thing in the first place! My guide is what should be given due credit. Sorry to bust your balls there AriX.

Guru

Yeah ARIX... but my english is better spoken than yours. He actually understood what I said! It's not what you say by itself that counts... its also how you convey the message. :P Not to mention the fact that, without my guide, you wouldn't have said a damn thing in the first place! My guide is what should be given due credit. Sorry to bust your balls there AriX.

Guru

ROFL, and Matt's vicious... the arch-nemisis thing anyone? lol

max

@AriX / RacerX : oops! my apologies. i didn't really realized that the ISO wasn't mounted until Rhapsody Guru pointed it out that I need to remount the ISO from Bochs. :) i re-read the thread and yup, it was pointed that a problem leading to not being able to mount the ISO is the cause :D thank you also. i hope, there's no hard feelings :)

@Rhapsody Guru: thank you again :)