Zotac H55-ITX-C-E i870 Nvidia GT240 PCM Audio over HDMI

10 posts in this topic

This system replaced my Mac Mini as my Media Server / HTPC. I noticed that I could only transcode 1 movie at a time via PLEX Media Server to my IPhone. And well that was not enough, since I use this machine to run a XP VM (for uTorrent / Web-Gui & Peerblocker) as well as streaming music / video's to my other Apple devices (MKV Streaming, etc)

So I knew I was going to need a new box, my only problem was that Apple didn't make a super Mac Mini and I wasn't going to get a Desktop model. Instead I decided to sell what I had and build what I needed.

And ultimately decided on this parts list:

Zotac H55ITX-C-E

G.Skill 2x4GB

i7 870

PNY GT240 512M

WD 320GB 2.5

LIAN LI PC-Q11B (case)

PSU SILVERSTONE| ST45SF 450W (SFX)

ECO ALC CoolIT

BLUTOOTH ADPT DLINK|DBT-120

Thanks to people like Mactition I was able to install a mostly vanilla system. My biggest problem was getting audio over HDMI. I could only get it out of SPDIF port and that satisfied me for a while. But then I read about the success tmongkol had and others as well. So I set out to hack my DSDT, since that's the only way I could have a hope of succeeding since the voodoohda kexts weren't cutting the cheese.

After weeks of reading I finally felt I knew enough to take a stab at it, and well it paid off. My advice don't give up, before I started this I had never even looked at a DSDT. Afterwords I figured why stop there, lets get USB3 working, eSATA, iStat temps, might as well fix everything that bothers me.

So what dosn't work, well sleep apparently. But that's not an issue for me since this is really a server. Sure it would be nice, and I'm sure i'll figure it out sooner or later. Anyway here are some screenshots of how its setup and whats it run like.

1st My HDMI Audio

Screenshot2011-01-02at104354AM.png

Geekbench Score

Screenshot2011-01-06at121916PM.png

System Temps:

Screenshot2011-01-06at113256AM.png

Installed Devices:

Screenshot2011-01-06at114145AM.png

All the Highlighted Kexts are Non-Vanilla

Screenshot2011-01-06at120704PM.png

USB3

Screenshot2011-01-06at121336PM.png

eSATA

Screenshot2011-01-06at121252PM.png

Interesting, and congratulations on your work. I've also been working with the H55ITX-C-E - it's my first Hackintosh system. System is up and (finally) stable with 10.6.6 updates, and some customizations. A couple of notes:

I had some video issues, but finally got them straightened out. My 1G Sparkle 8400GS would never come up with QE/CI. What finally worked was GraphicsEnabler=No, the ATY_init.kext, and putting the PCI IDs into NVDANV50Hal.kext. Nothing else worked including any version of NVEnabler. Perhaps it's because the device ID of 10c3 isnt recognized.

Also related to video, I had issues under 10.6.5 with the often reported problem of desktop hangs, with "NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout" messages. Peeking in the 10.6.6 files I saw there were updates to he NVidia kexts, so I was hopeful that this would improve things. It was a mixed bag. kernel_task no longer went to 100% CPU during a hang, but they still occurred and now I was getting various "NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception!" messages too. I did some more digging, and wound up reverting to the 10.6.5 GeForce.kext and the GeForceVADriver.bundle. No more hangs, no more messages. Rock solid, with looping YouTube and QuickTime video running overnight.

But I would also like to go to the next step and get closer to a vanilla install. To that end, I would appreciate it if you could post your final DSDT. I'd like to try to transition and it would be of immense help if you could. One other thing: You identify certain 'Non-Vanilla' kexts. Are any of these specially modified in any particular way? Or just from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as it appears? Thanks!

FYI: My system specs:

Zotac H55ITX-C-E

BIOS A146PA05 (original as shipped)

Sparkle 1G 8400GS

2G Crucial DDR3 CL9

Core i3-550

But I would also like to go to the next step and get closer to a vanilla install. To that end, I would appreciate it if you could post your final DSDT. I'd like to try to transition and it would be of immense help if you could. One other thing: You identify certain 'Non-Vanilla' kexts. Are any of these specially modified in any particular way? Or just from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as it appears? Thanks!

FYI: My system specs:

Zotac H55ITX-C-E

BIOS A146PA05 (original as shipped)

Sparkle 1G 8400GS

2G Crucial DDR3 CL9

Core i3-550

Congrats on stabilizing your system, I know how good it feels once things are solid; even work a rounds.

As for your questions regarding my non-vanilla kexts; here are the details (why I used them and where their from)

[-KEXT-]----[-VERSION-]-[-PURPOSE-MODIFICATION-ORIGIN-]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AppleHDA.kext [1.8.7f1] By Taruga is modified to enable audio out of realtek ALC888 - Needed until I modify the DSDT so i can use vanilla.

I patched it with the address of the nVidia HDMI audio, so now it can drive both HDMI and On-board audio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PXHCD.kext [1.0.1] Patched LaCie uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller -Untested

IOUSBFamily.kext [3.8.5] This is from the 10.6.4 update - Enables USB on my board, until I fix my DSDT

IOUSBMassStorageClass [2.6.1]-This comes from 10.6.4 and enables my external Drobo - needed until i fix DSDT

JMicron36xeSATA.kext JMB360 AHCI Controller enables eSATA - External controller (I don't think its needed (might be cosmetic) need to test.

RealtekRTL81xx [0.0.67] RTL8111 Gigabit Ethernet from Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Project - Faster, lots of features -Check it out.

Here is the edit i did to my dsdt to get the video card and hdmi audio working:

Device (P0P3)
						{
							Name (_ADR, 0x00030000)
							Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
							{
								0x09, 
								0x05
							})
							Device (GFX0)
							{
								Name (_ADR, Zero)
								Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
								{
									Store (Package (0x1A)
										{
											"AAPL,slot-name", 
											"PCI x16", 
											"@0,compatible", 
											Buffer (0x0B)
											{
												"NVDA,NVMac"
											}, 

"@0,device_type", 
											Buffer (0x08)
											{
												"display"
											}, 

"@0,name", 
											Buffer (0x0F)
											{
												"NVDA,Display-A"
											}, 

"@1,compatible", 
											Buffer (0x0B)
											{
												"NVDA,NVMac"
											}, 

"@1,device_type", 
											Buffer (0x08)
											{
												"display"
											}, 

"@1,name", 
											Buffer (0x0F)
											{
												"NVDA,Display-B"
											}, 

"NVCAP", 
											Buffer (0x18)
											{
												/* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
												/* 0008 */	0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A, 
												/* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
											}, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
											Buffer (0x04)
											{
												0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
											}, 

"device_type", 
											Buffer (0x0C)
											{
												"NVDA,Parent"
											}, 

"model", 
											Buffer (0x16)
											{
												"nVidia GeForce GT 240"
											}, 

"rom-revision", 
											Buffer (0x25)
											{
												"70.15.2C.00.51"
											}, 

"hda-gfx", 
											Buffer (0x0A)
											{
												"onboard-1"
											}
										}, Local0)
									DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
									Return (Local0)
								}
							}

Device (HDAU)
							{
								Name (_ADR, One)
								Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
								{
									Store (Package (0x02)
										{
											"hda-gfx", 
											Buffer (0x0A)
											{
												"onboard-1"
											}
										}, Local0)
									DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
									Return (Local0)
								}
							}
						}

Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
						{
							Return (0x0F)
						}

As soon as I get my DSDT working with usb and I don't have to use the 10.6.4 versions I'll post my completed DSDT.

Full Audio Now works - Both HDMI and On-Board (RealTek)

Screenshot2011-01-08at13739PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

i have a very similar setup to u

Zotac H55ITX-C-E

G.Skill ripjaws 2x4GB

i5 760

EVGA GT240 1 GB DDR3

64 GB kingston ssd

and i am interested to know what u did as i want hdmi audio 5.1 and video...i had an another hack built using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to boot then retail dvd then upgrade to 10.6.6 mutibeast 3.0 so basically do the same here or change ....pls help thx

• 3 weeks later...

Any step by step instructions to get this going?

There used to be a thread on here that discussed details for this board, but it has disappeared.

I have the zotac h55, an i3 and a GF210 and got it through install on an external drive, but it went rather clumsily (graphics corruption, some screens took more than 5 min to show updates, etc.) and then fails to 1st boot.

The zotac h55 guide that used to exist is now outdated, as the tools used have been updated and apparently are no longer compatible :)

Any help?

Here is a good guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;mode=threaded

however, I have problems with shutdown. The board doesn't power off completely, the power led powers off but not the cpu fan and usb disk.

Any step by step instructions to get this going?

There used to be a thread on here that discussed details for this board, but it has disappeared.

I have the zotac h55, an i3 and a GF210 and got it through install on an external drive, but it went rather clumsily (graphics corruption, some screens took more than 5 min to show updates, etc.) and then fails to 1st boot.

The zotac h55 guide that used to exist is now outdated, as the tools used have been updated and apparently are no longer compatible :rolleyes:

Any help?

The Zotac H55ITX-A-E project has moved to here . . .

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=12940

The Zotac H55ITX-A-E DSDT guide and files has been posted.

The guide includes illustrated editing and install instructions, and my vanilla and edited DSDT.

The BIOS of the C-E is very similar to the A-E. You should find it useful to fix any issues with C-E. Posting for the Zotac H55ITX-C-E is welcomed.

Thanks

• 4 months later...