• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

jhrfc

jhrfc

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Great info Jon and thank you for doing the leg work too. For some reason I can't get it to work for me I'm not sure I've got everything installed with sleepwatcher even thought I went step by step with their readme file. I'll keep trying, but just had to say thank you.

Is it the setting the fans on boot, or wake from sleep that doesn't work?

To see if sleepwatcer is running at the terminal type
ps auxww | grep sleepwatcher
you should see two lines returned one for the grep command, and one for sleepwatcher itself. if you only see one, its not running.
The sleepwatcher install read me install section isn't explicit about how to copy and install the config files, if you look at the upgrade section it has more detail.

to verify the mapMemoryDriver.kext is installed, make sure you can run nvclock from the command line
/usr/local/sbin/nvclock -F auto -f

Sidewinder33

Sidewinder33

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Is it the setting the fans on boot, or wake from sleep that doesn't work?

To see if sleepwatcer is running at the terminal type
ps auxww | grep sleepwatcher
you should see two lines returned one for the grep command, and one for sleepwatcher itself. if you only see one, its not running.
The sleepwatcher install read me install section isn't explicit about how to copy and install the config files, if you look at the upgrade section it has more detail.

to verify the mapMemoryDriver.kext is installed, make sure you can run nvclock from the command line
/usr/local/sbin/nvclock -F auto -f

Both for some reason. I can tell the kext is loaded (nvclock works) I can manually set and check nvclock using
sudo /usr/local/sbin/nvclock -F auto -f
But not if I use the command you gave me there directly
One thing I noticed that I have different from you is my ect file is not located at /ect its actually at /private/ect does that make any difference. I changed the launchd plist to use the /private/ect location.
this is the return from grep
$ ps auxww | grep sleepwatcher
jeff	   371   0.0  0.0  2435036	524 s000  R+	8:17AM   0:00.00 grep sleepwatcher
$
The plist seems to be loading but it doesn't appear that sleepwatcher is working as seen by:
$ sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.projectosx.nvclockautofans.plist
com.projectosx.nvclockautofans: Already loaded
Thanks again Jon I'll keep ya posted.

jhrfc

jhrfc

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Both for some reason. I can tell the kext is loaded (nvclock works) I can manually set and check nvclock using

sudo /usr/local/sbin/nvclock -F auto -f
But not if I use the command you gave me there directly

Sorry yes, to run at the command lineline you need to sudo. looks like the kext is loaded right.

One thing I noticed that I have different from you is my ect file is not located at /ect its actually at /private/ect does that make any difference. I changed the launchd plist to use the /private/ect location.
this is the return from grep

$ ps auxww | grep sleepwatcher
jeff	   371   0.0  0.0  2435036	524 s000  R+	8:17AM   0:00.00 grep sleepwatcher
$
The plist seems to be loading but it doesn't appear that sleepwatcher is working as seen by:
$ sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.projectosx.nvclockautofans.plist
com.projectosx.nvclockautofans: Already loaded
Thanks again Jon I'll keep ya posted.

Looks like sleepwatcher isn't installed right. maybe start again using the upgrade instructions from the readme.
The /etc /private/etc thing should make a difference, on my system they are joined by a symbolic link so are the same actual files.
Jon

Sidewinder33

Sidewinder33

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Sorry yes, to run at the command lineline you need to sudo. looks like the kext is loaded right.

Looks like sleepwatcher isn't installed right. maybe start again using the upgrade instructions from the readme.
The /etc /private/etc thing should make a difference, on my system they are joined by a symbolic link so are the same actual files.
Jon

Got sleepwatcher up and running, I missed a step somehow, and its working setting the fans to auto off of sleep, but isn't setting it on boot.

I made a file using pico in terminal (opened another rc. file and just edited it) I put everything you had in your rc.fansboot is the 60 second sleep required? I dropped it down since it caused the system to take an extra minute to boot.

I've also noticed that my fans no longer show up in my istat menus. My gpu does but my other board fans and board temp (northbridge temp) doesnt show up or are just 0's
Has anyone else noticed this after following Jons instructions?

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Got sleepwatcher up and running, I missed a step somehow, and its working setting the fans to auto off of sleep, but isn't setting it on boot.

I made a file using pico in terminal (opened another rc. file and just edited it) I put everything you had in your rc.fansboot is the 60 second sleep required? I dropped it down since it caused the system to take an extra minute to boot.

I've also noticed that my fans no longer show up in my istat menus. My gpu does but my other board fans and board temp (northbridge temp) doesnt show up or are just 0's
Has anyone else noticed this after following Jons instructions?

I still have fan speeds in iStat Menus.
Which slot is your GPU in; PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_2 or PCIEX8_1?

jhrfc

jhrfc

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Yes so have I.

The rc.fansboot file needs to be seperate, and run from launchd so won't affect boot times. It sounds like you may have added the command to a script that's being run 'in line' as part of the boot process.
I put the sleep in becuase without it I got an error saying the driver wasn't loaded.
Cheers
Jon

Sidewinder33

Sidewinder33

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Pcie16_1 (the first slot in the board, unless OSX see's them differently) I'll uninstall everything and see if that makes a change,

The rc.fansboot file needs to be seperate, and run from launchd so won't affect boot times. It sounds like you may have added the command to a script that's being run 'in line' as part of the boot process.
I put the sleep in becuase without it I got an error saying the driver wasn't loaded.
Cheers
Jon

I'll double check but I did setup a launchd plist exactly as you did and put it in my LaunchDaemons folder

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Pcie16_1 (the first slot in the board, unless OSX see's them differently)

Would you try it in PCIEX16_2 to see if you get power management?

Sidewinder33

Sidewinder33

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Would you try it in PCIEX16_2 to see if you get power management?

I'll give that a try in a bit, I restored from a backup and still no fans, weird.

***Update***
I got everything up and going (auto fan setting and system fans) It appears that me modifying the AppleGraphicsPowwerManagment.kext causes it to loose the fans and temps. I ran the combo updater after installing sleepwatcher and nvclock and my temps come back. I'll continue to experiment and update if i find anything else.

night_knight28

night_knight28

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
can this update solve my problem with 8400m gt? i've been spending days looking for this to work. and it only works in snow leopard 10.6.4 right? i'm still in 10.6.2. i have issues in upgrading from 10.6.2 to 10.6.4.

debutant0219

debutant0219

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Radeon HD4850

before update :

after update :

Looks like good improvement :) but still need 10.6.2's ATI4800Controller ATIFramebuffer and ATISupport for dual screen

Would you mind sharing those files please? I did install this update and it killed my hackintosh install, now I can only get into the OS with -x command.

Thanks

jaymz60

jaymz60

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks for all your work seem to be working fine.

Last login: Fri Sep 10 11:52:22 on ttys000
Mac-Pro:~ jamzmar$ /Users/jamzmar/Desktop/nvclock /nvclock -f -i
Uknown Winbond vendor: 0
-- General info --
Card: GT200b [GeForce GTX 285]
Architecture: GT200 B1
PCI id: 0x05e3
Subvendor id: 0x1682
GPU clock: 300.856 MHz
Bustype: PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
Clock: 1296.000 MHz
Stream units: 240 (11111111b)
ROP units: 32 (11111111b)
-- Memory info --
Amount: 1024 MB
Type: 512 bit DDR3
Clock: 1188.000 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate: 16X
Maximum rate: 16X

-- Sensor info --
Sensor: Analog Devices ADT7473
Board temperature: 41C
GPU temperature: 46C
Fanspeed: 935 RPM
Fanspeed mode: auto
PWM duty cycle: 50.6%

-- VideoBios information --
Version: 62.00.50.00.72
Signon message: GT200 P892 SKU 0052 VGA BIOS
Performance level 0: gpu 300MHz/shader 600MHz/memory 100MHz/1.05V/100%
Performance level 1: gpu 400MHz/shader 800MHz/memory 300MHz/1.05V/100%
Performance level 2: gpu 690MHz/shader 1476MHz/memory 1300MHz/1.15V/100%
VID mask: 1
Voltage level 0: 1.05V, VID: 1
Voltage level 1: 1.15V, VID: 0

Mac-Pro:~ jamzmar$

jhrfc

jhrfc

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Thanks for all your work seem to be working fine.

Hi
your sig says you have 2 SLI grpahics cards. Presumably only 1 works under OSx?
Jon

Mahtan

Mahtan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Works Without any Problem With XFX HD 5770

Posted Image

jaymz60

jaymz60

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hi
your sig says you have 2 SLI grpahics cards. Presumably only 1 works under OSx?
Jon

No they both work not in sli but multi display no problem.

jaymz60

jaymz60

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Updated to Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r530.pkg and latest fake smc kext everything working. Also updated to latest video drivers
and 10.5 beta added video card id to apple graphics power management kext. Xbench openGL faster :(
http://www.myalbumba...h...m=77&pos=25

xpertvision

xpertvision

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
for ati radeon 4850 i needed a fix driver after this update

sonaeact

sonaeact

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Any problems encountered with an nVidia 8400GS on a 10.6.4 system ?

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
No problem at all with an xfx 8400GS snow 10.6.4 and "drivers" GeForce 1.6.18.18 (19.5.9f02)

sonaeact

sonaeact

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

No problem at all with an xfx 8400GS snow 10.6.4 and "drivers" GeForce 1.6.18.18 (19.5.9f02)

Hi eMatoS,

I'm just using basic Graphics Enabler, so that should work no problem right ? For info i installed iAtkos s3 v2 with combo update to 10.6.4.

Cheers,
sonaeact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy