Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

143 posts in this topic

Even using your same BIOS I can't reproduce the 10.6.3 performance.

If you disconnect one of the two monitors and reboot, do you still have 10.6.3 performance?

I neglected to backup my original Gigabyte GV-N285UD-1GH/F1 (nvclock: 62.00.50.00.01, ioreg: pci1458,34c9) BIOS.

If anyone with this card has some time, would you dump your BIOS with nvflash so that I can restore to my original BIOS?

Thanks in advance.

Windows;

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1824/...%20Windows.html

DOS;

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1825/...sh_5.95.01.html

Same score with only a single screen, 24.01 fps thats really weird that the bios flash didnt work for you.

As a side note how do I tell if the gpu is clocking back down after sleep, aside from watching the temperature?

Same score with only a single screen, 24.01 fps thats really weird that the bios flash didnt work for you.

As a side note how do I tell if the gpu is clocking back down after sleep, aside from watching the temperature?

Use nvclock;

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1246

I used the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement(10.6.3)

problem solved

http://www.mediafire.com/?ndp37b1pkseo3wo

That may not be the best solution, as it's stuck in level 2 high power mode both before sleep, and after sleep and wake (plus ~10C).

Use nvclock;

That may not be the best solution, as it's stuck in level 2 high power mode both before sleep, and after sleep and wake (plus ~10C).

Well It appears that my GPU always stays in Lvl 2 even with MacPro3,1 id set

-- General info --
Card: 		Unknown Nvidia card
Architecture: 	GT200 B1
PCI id: 	0x5e3
GPU clock: 	648.000 MHz
Bustype: 	PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
Clock: 1476.000 MHz
Stream units: 240 (11111111b)
ROP units: 32 (11111111b)
-- Memory info --
Amount: 	1024 MB
Type: 		512 bit DDR3
Clock: 		1242.000 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate: 	16X
Maximum rate: 	16X

-- Sensor info --
Sensor: Analog Devices ADT7473
Board temperature: 47C
GPU temperature: 53C
Fanspeed: 605 RPM
Fanspeed mode: manual
PWM duty cycle: 40.0%

hmm now I'll have to start doing some investigating, but right now my solution is a bigger GPU cooler I put on haha so it doesn't sit so hot. It usually sits in the mid to high 40's

Well It appears that my GPU always stays in Lvl 2 even with MacPro3,1 id set

-- General info --
Card:		 Unknown Nvidia card
Architecture:	 GT200 B1
PCI id:	 0x5e3
GPU clock:	 648.000 MHz
Bustype:	 PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
Clock: 1476.000 MHz
Stream units: 240 (11111111b)
ROP units: 32 (11111111b)
-- Memory info --
Amount:	 1024 MB
Type:		 512 bit DDR3
Clock:		 1242.000 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
Current Rate:	 16X
Maximum rate:	 16X

-- Sensor info --
Sensor: Analog Devices ADT7473
Board temperature: 47C
GPU temperature: 53C
Fanspeed: 605 RPM
Fanspeed mode: manual
PWM duty cycle: 40.0%

hmm now I'll have to start doing some investigating, but right now my solution is a bigger GPU cooler I put on haha so it doesn't sit so hot. It usually sits in the mid to high 40's

Edit the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1 section and change Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice05e3.

The 05e3 part is for a GTX 285, see nvclock0.8b5_7-darwin/src/backend/info.c (link below) for others.

This will keep level 0 low power mode on gpu under low load after sleep and wake, but shader and memory will be stuck in level 2 high power mode.

GPU temperatures before, and after sleep and wake are still less than using MacPro3,1, deleting AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext or using the one from 10.6.3.

Those solutions cause gpu, shader and memory to always run in level 2 high power mode.

Temperatures and clock speeds can be seen with nvclock, and for lower temperatures it's recommended to set fanspeed mode to auto with `nvclock -F auto -f' (needs to be set again after sleep and wake);

Edit the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1 section and change Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice05e3.

The 05e3 part is for a GTX 285, see nvclock0.8b5_7-darwin/src/backend/info.c (link below) for others.

This will keep level 0 low power mode on gpu under low load after sleep and wake, but shader and memory will be stuck in level 2 high power mode.

GPU temperatures before, and after sleep and wake are still less than using MacPro3,1, deleting AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext or using the one from 10.6.3.

Those solutions cause gpu, shader and memory to always run in level 2 high power mode.

Temperatures and clock speeds can be seen with nvclock, and for lower temperatures it's recommended to set fanspeed mode to auto with `nvclock -F auto -f' (needs to be set again after sleep and wake);

Thank you for all the info d00d, is it possible to set a manual speed thats higher that the one it chooses (40%). My new cooler is pretty quiet even at high speed. If so how would I go about making that change permanent, or at least hardwired so I don't have to set the fans to auto every time?

Thank you for all the info d00d, is it possible to set a manual speed thats higher that the one it chooses (40%). My new cooler is pretty quiet even at high speed. If so how would I go about making that change permanent, or at least hardwired so I don't have to set the fans to auto every time?
You may be able to use a BIOS editor like NVBitor to permanently set fan speed or mode.

Update:

After sleep and wake using the modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist the gpu will be at level 0 low power mode under low load, but shader and memory will temporarily be stuck at level 2 high power mode.

However, if load is applied and then reduced, shader and memory will also correctly be at level 0 low power mode.

I just purchased a Sapphire Radeon 5850

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6899

Revision ID: 0x0000

How did you guys get it working in Snow Leopard? I tried the netkas kexts and it gave me the black screen. I also just tried this update and I got a KP. Do I have to re-install the qoopz 10.6.4 kernel after I install the graphics update too? Someone help, please. :-)

You may be able to use a BIOS editor like NVBitor to permanently set fan speed or mode.

Update:

After sleep and wake using the modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist the gpu will be at level 0 low power mode under low load, but shader and memory will temporarily be stuck at level 2 high power mode.

However, if load is applied and then reduced, shader and memory will also correctly be at level 0 low power mode.

Strange mine always seems to be stuck in High power mode, or at least from what nvclock is reporting. I did somehow improve my cinebinch scores though. I reapplied the 10.6.4 combo update and edited the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext plist (as you suggested) and now I am getting 30Fps scores in cinebench. nvcock still says the gpu is at lvl 2 all the time.

Here is the same info you requested before about the GPU. Keep in mind I have only reapplied the 10.6.4 combo update and not the SLGU (even thought the version number shows that the update has been applied)

Out.txt

while reading through the lines I noticed that the following line came up just under the first section.

IOPowerManagement" = {"ChildrenPowerState"=2,"CurrentPowerState"=2}

Is there any reason that editing the info.plist in the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext isnt allowing my card to drop back down to lvl 0?

Checking my system profiler it does not appear that the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext is loaded in the extensions section anymore. I'll report back after reapplying the SLGU.

**Updated**

I applied the SLGU, no change in performance, or powerstate. Im up at 30 fps now in Cinebench, but ncvlock still shows the card on high power. The AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext is not loaded in the system profiler either.

Update:

Hi,

I've edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist and changed back to MacPro4,1 and now have the same graphics performance as under 3,1. With the same power state performance, ie GPU clock will go up and down but shader and memory stay at level 2 (unaffected by sleep /wake).

As you say setting the fan speed to auto seems to maintain a lower temperature, so I'm, going to research how to set this on startup and after wake from sleep.

Thanks for your great advice

Jon

Strange mine always seems to be stuck in High power mode, or at least from what nvclock is reporting. I did somehow improve my cinebinch scores though. I reapplied the 10.6.4 combo update and edited the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext plist (as you suggested) and now I am getting 30Fps scores in cinebench. nvcock still says the gpu is at lvl 2 all the time.

Here is the same info you requested before about the GPU. Keep in mind I have only reapplied the 10.6.4 combo update and not the SLGU (even thought the version number shows that the update has been applied)

Out.txt

while reading through the lines I noticed that the following line came up just under the first section.

IOPowerManagement" = {"ChildrenPowerState"=2,"CurrentPowerState"=2}

Is there any reason that editing the info.plist in the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext isnt allowing my card to drop back down to lvl 0?

Checking my system profiler it does not appear that the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext is loaded in the extensions section anymore. I'll report back after reapplying the SLGU.

**Updated**

I applied the SLGU, no change in performance, or powerstate. Im up at 30 fps now in Cinebench, but ncvlock still shows the card on high power. The AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext is not loaded in the system profiler either.

Did you drop to level 0 with the unmodified AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext, or was it always level 2?

I'm not sure what would cause the kext to not load other than if it wasn't 755 root:wheel.

Is there a load error in system.log or kernel.log?

I just purchased a Sapphire Radeon 5850

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6899

Revision ID: 0x0000

How did you guys get it working in Snow Leopard? I tried the netkas kexts and it gave me the black screen. I also just tried this update and I got a KP. Do I have to re-install the qoopz 10.6.4 kernel after I install the graphics update too? Someone help, please. :-)

Can someone help me out please? I tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install the netkas kexts for the 5xxx and I get a kernel panic.

Did you drop to level 0 with the unmodified AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext, or was it always level 2?

I'm not sure what would cause the kext to not load other than if it wasn't 755 root:wheel.

Is there a load error in system.log or kernel.log?

Well it appears there was a load error, I went back and fixed it and it loads now.

I've tried it with the modified and unmodified AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext with no change in performance or clock. Nvclock reports that its always at level 2 regardless of the AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext used. I guess I shouldn't complain since I'm getting its full performance again, but i would like it to clock down to keep it cooler (although the new gpu cooler does a pretty good job to compensate for that)

I guess I'll just have to wait for 10.6.5 to see if that restores my gpu underclocking. It does seem odd that I picked up 5~6 fps just by reapplying the 10.6.4 combo update.

Oh well thanks for all the great info d00d, you've been a great help.

Sorry kfernandes29 i dont have any experience with ati cards.

Well it appears there was a load error, I went back and fixed it and it loads now.

I've tried it with the modified and unmodified AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext with no change in performance or clock. Nvclock reports that its always at level 2 regardless of the AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext used. I guess I shouldn't complain since I'm getting its full performance again, but i would like it to clock down to keep it cooler (although the new gpu cooler does a pretty good job to compensate for that)

I guess I'll just have to wait for 10.6.5 to see if that restores my gpu underclocking. It does seem odd that I picked up 5~6 fps just by reapplying the 10.6.4 combo update.

Oh well thanks for all the great info d00d, you've been a great help.

Sorry kfernandes29 i dont have any experience with ati cards.

I suspect that our high frame rates in 10.6.3 were the result of the GPU being stuck in level 2 high power mode, with no power management.

If that is true, I wouldn't hold out any hope for this being fixed in 10.6.5.

Perhaps someone still on 10.6.3 with GTX 285 and MacPro4,1 can verify with nvclock if there is power management.

Your case is atypical, as you are stuck in level 2 after the updates, even after using a AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext modified for power management.

Hi,

I've edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist and changed back to MacPro4,1 and now have the same graphics performance as under 3,1. With the same power state performance, ie GPU clock will go up and down but shader and memory stay at level 2 (unaffected by sleep /wake).

As you say setting the fan speed to auto seems to maintain a lower temperature, so I'm, going to research how to set this on startup and after wake from sleep.

Thanks for your great advice

Jon

That would be useful, thanks.

I suspect that our high frame rates in 10.6.3 were the result of the GPU being stuck in level 2 high power mode, with no power management.

If that is true, I wouldn't hold out any hope for this being fixed in 10.6.5.

Perhaps someone still on 10.6.3 with GTX 285 and MacPro4,1 can verify with nvclock if there is power management.

Your case is atypical, as you are stuck in level 2 after the updates, even after using a AppleGraphicsPowerMangement.kext modified for power management.

Ya I'm not really sure why I'm the odd one out on this one. If there is no fix for the power management I'll just have to live with my card being a hair higher. Hell I mean I did get a new GPU cooler to combat it might as well make it earn its salt right. Thanks again for all the info d00d I'll let you know if anything else develops

Seconded I'd love every chance to drop the gpu temp even if its only a few degrees.

ok here's how I managed to set the Nvidia GTX 285 GPU fan to auto on wake using nvclock.

install an open source util call sleepwatcher details here:

Sleepwatcher

You'll need to make nvclocks mapMemoryDriver.kext load on boot, i used DDs script and found I needed to install the kext in system, rebuild caches and reboot.

copy nvclock to /usr/local/sbin

Then edit /etc/rc.wakeup. add a line to set the GPU fan to auto before for loop

Eg:

/usr/local/sbin/nvclock -F auto -f

(we cant use a ~/.wakeup script as nvclock needs to run as root, and also when nobody's logged in)

Now every time your system wakes the GPU fan will be set to auto.

This won't set the fan to auto on boot however. Here's how I did that:

make a script to run nvclock to set the GPU fan to auto (I found I needed to put a sleep in to give the mapMemoryDriver kext time to load)

#!/bin/sh																	   
#																														
sleep 60

I stored this as a file /etc/rc.fansboot

I then created a launchd plist to run the file on boot, and installed it with luanchd load. I guess you could also do it via a login item.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple\
.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.projectosx.nvclockautofans</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
			<string>/etc/rc.fansboot</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

My system now sets the GPU fan to auto by the time you've booted and logged in, and every time you wake the system after sleep.

Cheers

Jon

ok here's how I managed to set the Nvidia GTX 285 GPU fan to auto on wake using nvclock.

Sleepwatcher

You'll need to make nvclocks mapMemoryDriver.kext load on boot, i used DDs script and found I needed to install the kext in system, rebuild caches and reboot.

Eg:

(we cant use a ~/.wakeup script as nvclock needs to run as root, and also when nobody's logged in)

make a script to run nvclock to set the GPU fan to auto (I found I needed to put a sleep in to give the mapMemoryDriver kext time to load)

#!/bin/sh																	   
#																														
sleep 60

I then created a launchd plist to run the file on boot, and installed it with luanchd load. I guess you could also do it via a login item.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple\
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	 <key>Label</key>
	 <array>
	 </array>
	 <key>RunAtLoad</key>
	 <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

My system now sets the GPU fan to auto by the time you've booted and logged in, and every time you wake the system after sleep.

Cheers

Jon

Excellent work!

I'll link to this in my topic.

I had used nvbitor to set fan speed to auto, saved the modified BIOS, then reflashed with it, but in OS X it changes back to manual.

Sleepwatcher

Eg:

#!/bin/sh																	   
#																														
sleep 60

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<array>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Cheers

Jon

Great info Jon and thank you for doing the leg work too. For some reason I can't get it to work for me I'm not sure I've got everything installed with sleepwatcher even thought I went step by step with their readme file. I'll keep trying, but just had to say thank you.

Great info Jon and thank you for doing the leg work too. For some reason I can't get it to work for me I'm not sure I've got everything installed with sleepwatcher even thought I went step by step with their readme file. I'll keep trying, but just had to say thank you.

Is it the setting the fans on boot, or wake from sleep that doesn't work?

To see if sleepwatcer is running at the terminal type

ps auxww | grep sleepwatcher

you should see two lines returned one for the grep command, and one for sleepwatcher itself. if you only see one, its not running.

The sleepwatcher install read me install section isn't explicit about how to copy and install the config files, if you look at the upgrade section it has more detail.

to verify the mapMemoryDriver.kext is installed, make sure you can run nvclock from the command line

Is it the setting the fans on boot, or wake from sleep that doesn't work?

To see if sleepwatcer is running at the terminal type

ps auxww | grep sleepwatcher

you should see two lines returned one for the grep command, and one for sleepwatcher itself. if you only see one, its not running.

The sleepwatcher install read me install section isn't explicit about how to copy and install the config files, if you look at the upgrade section it has more detail.

to verify the mapMemoryDriver.kext is installed, make sure you can run nvclock from the command line

Both for some reason. I can tell the kext is loaded (nvclock works) I can manually set and check nvclock using

sudo /usr/local/sbin/nvclock -F auto -f

But not if I use the command you gave me there directly

One thing I noticed that I have different from you is my ect file is not located at /ect its actually at /private/ect does that make any difference. I changed the launchd plist to use the /private/ect location.

this is the return from grep

$ ps auxww | grep sleepwatcher
jeff	   371   0.0  0.0  2435036	524 s000  R+	8:17AM   0:00.00 grep sleepwatcher
$

The plist seems to be loading but it doesn't appear that sleepwatcher is working as seen by:

$ sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.projectosx.nvclockautofans.plist
com.projectosx.nvclockautofans: Already loaded

Thanks again Jon I'll keep ya posted.

Both for some reason. I can tell the kext is loaded (nvclock works) I can manually set and check nvclock using

sudo /usr/local/sbin/nvclock -F auto -f

But not if I use the command you gave me there directly

Sorry yes, to run at the command lineline you need to sudo. looks like the kext is loaded right.

One thing I noticed that I have different from you is my ect file is not located at /ect its actually at /private/ect does that make any difference. I changed the launchd plist to use the /private/ect location.

this is the return from grep

$ ps auxww | grep sleepwatcher
jeff	   371   0.0  0.0  2435036	524 s000  R+	8:17AM   0:00.00 grep sleepwatcher
$

The plist seems to be loading but it doesn't appear that sleepwatcher is working as seen by:

$ sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.projectosx.nvclockautofans.plist
com.projectosx.nvclockautofans: Already loaded

Thanks again Jon I'll keep ya posted.

Looks like sleepwatcher isn't installed right. maybe start again using the upgrade instructions from the readme.

The /etc /private/etc thing should make a difference, on my system they are joined by a symbolic link so are the same actual files.

Jon

Sorry yes, to run at the command lineline you need to sudo. looks like the kext is loaded right.

Looks like sleepwatcher isn't installed right. maybe start again using the upgrade instructions from the readme.

The /etc /private/etc thing should make a difference, on my system they are joined by a symbolic link so are the same actual files.

Jon

Got sleepwatcher up and running, I missed a step somehow, and its working setting the fans to auto off of sleep, but isn't setting it on boot.

I made a file using pico in terminal (opened another rc. file and just edited it) I put everything you had in your rc.fansboot is the 60 second sleep required? I dropped it down since it caused the system to take an extra minute to boot.

I've also noticed that my fans no longer show up in my istat menus. My gpu does but my other board fans and board temp (northbridge temp) doesnt show up or are just 0's

Has anyone else noticed this after following Jons instructions?

Got sleepwatcher up and running, I missed a step somehow, and its working setting the fans to auto off of sleep, but isn't setting it on boot.

I made a file using pico in terminal (opened another rc. file and just edited it) I put everything you had in your rc.fansboot is the 60 second sleep required? I dropped it down since it caused the system to take an extra minute to boot.

I've also noticed that my fans no longer show up in my istat menus. My gpu does but my other board fans and board temp (northbridge temp) doesnt show up or are just 0's

Has anyone else noticed this after following Jons instructions?

I still have fan speeds in iStat Menus.

Which slot is your GPU in; PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_2 or PCIEX8_1?