Guide: how to install Snow Leopard (vanilla) on xps m1530 detailed walkthrough

effatum

98 posts in this topic

lol predictible. chrome is givin me a lot of problems l8ly, i'm back to firefox beta release, seems more stable and eats less ram with extensions.

btw, on vacation system running already for 1 hour

everitin works.

i'm doin photo editing :unsure:

love my 1530 :angel:

+1

I've just reinstalled 10.6 + Combo 10.6.5

+ VoodooHDA in /S/L/E

+ AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /E/E

+ fakesmc.kext

+ SoftSMC.kext (Do I realy need two SMC kexts?)

+ mapMemoryDriver.kext (nvClock)

+ VoodooPS2.kext

Everything is running great expect two things.

- GPU is @ 100% all the time. 65c idle fixed it. cooler was stuck again :wacko:

- VoodooHDA won't keep settings. Especially "SSE2" that removes clicks and scratches.

+1

I've just reinstalled 10.6 + Combo 10.6.5

+ VoodooHDA in /S/L/E

+ AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /E/E

+ fakesmc.kext

+ SoftSMC.kext (Do I realy need two SMC kexts?)

+ mapMemoryDriver.kext (nvClock)

+ VoodooPS2.kext

Everything is running great expect two things.

- GPU is @ 100% all the time. 65c idle fixed it. cooler was stuck again :P

- VoodooHDA won't keep settings. Especially "SSE2" that removes clicks and scratches.

strange about voodooHDA, try to reinstall the kext.

and wtf is COOLER WAS STUCK AGAIN XD lol

lol buddy btw soft smc is not an smc kext its the temp bundle :( u already forgot :P

does nvClock help?

cheers

fakesmc tells your mac software that the pc that u are using is a mac.

remove it and you WILL have a kernel panic

dont really get your deal about the sse2 settings what do you mean?

like the sound settings of volume etc?

happy new year 2 u 2 buddy!

fakesmc tells your mac software that the pc that u are using is a mac.

remove it and you WILL have a kernel panic

dont really get your deal about the sse2 settings what do you mean?

like the sound settings of volume etc?

happy new year 2 u 2 buddy!

I'm running without fakeSMC.kext, no KP here..

Without the SSE2 setting my sound, sounds like $h1t.

post-629987-1294320339_thumb.png

yet again you are using another kext and prefpane than i am... my voodooHDA.kext has no problems and my prefpane doesnt even have sse2 option...

what does it do?

oh strange about the fake.smc, than our dsdt's are compiled in a good manner

did u run kext helper after removing it? so that the extensionskext is reneved?

and do a -v -f boot just to be sure

i'll try that when i get some free time...

btw 1.6.6

yet again you are using another kext and prefpane than i am... my voodooHDA.kext has no problems and my prefpane doesnt even have sse2 option...

what does it do?

oh strange about the fake.smc, than our dsdt's are compiled in a good manner

did u run kext helper after removing it? so that the extensionskext is reneved?

and do a -v -f boot just to be sure

i'll try that when i get some free time...

btw 1.6.6

SSE2 option removes scratches in the sound in youtube, high load aps.

If you don't have the option en also don't have the scratches, I prefer yours.

All outputs are working.

Could you please share your HDA en prefpane?

And I always use Kext Utility 2.4.2 to restore rights. Ill check out Kext helper.

Just updated to 1.6.6.. no problems.

SSE2 option removes scratches in the sound in youtube, high load aps.

If you don't have the option en also don't have the scratches, I prefer yours.

All outputs are working.

Could you please share your HDA en prefpane?

And I always use Kext Utility 2.4.2 to restore rights. Ill check out Kext helper.

Just updated to 1.6.6.. no problems.

i am still using the original one.

the one that i found a year ago, it's in the package on the first post.

kext utility works as well no need to repair permissions on the kext helper

they use the same command line

i am still using the original one.

the one that i found a year ago, it's in the package on the first post.

kext utility works as well no need to repair permissions on the kext helper

they use the same command line

Hmm using your vHDA kext, no prefpane, 1 less output. Works great without scratches :(

The headphone (middle) output. Not that I use it. My prefpane is not working with your vHDA.

oh yeah, only one of two is working, thats a mapping problem i guess, every solution that i have found gave me other problems so i am sticking with this one.

btw, my battery life is a bit reduced, are you happy with your battery manager?

how much time do u get at half brightness?

I am unable to get over 1:30h without reducing the brightness to the minimum.

oh yeah, only one of two is working, thats a mapping problem i guess, every solution that i have found gave me other problems so i am sticking with this one.

btw, my battery life is a bit reduced, are you happy with your battery manager?

how much time do u get at half brightness?

I am unable to get over 1:30h without reducing the brightness to the minimum.

I'm sticking to this one also, work great and don't use the second output anyway.

My battery is almost dead. Windows and OSX complain that I have to replace it. Get up to one hour. My brightness is 100% 24/7. FN+ UP or DOWN does change the brightness. The OSX slider in System Preferences doesn't work.

I'm using AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext, seems to work fine..

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext.zip

Ive found a working prefpane.

• 3 weeks later...
just found out my TV-out is not working. Did anyone get it working on 10.6.5 or .6?

tv out hdmi or tv out s-video?

hdmi, there is a fix for hdmi-hdmi whitout sound

I gotta confess that i have never tried s-video... so no idea

• 1 month later...
tv-out (svhs).

HDMi hasn't worked since 10.6.4 ;)

there are 2 solutions for hdmi.

simple one: use a hdmi-dvi adapter and it will work

complicated one: there is a guy who wrote a lil' dsdt patch for 8600m gs, makes the hdmi work again but ruins a lot of things... u can always try that :)

there are 2 solutions for hdmi.

simple one: use a hdmi-dvi adapter and it will work

complicated one: there is a guy who wrote a lil' dsdt patch for 8600m gs, makes the hdmi work again but ruins a lot of things... u can always try that :)

Thnx for the tip. Don't use HDMi so i'm not going to risk breaking reboot and sleep :P

Don't use the SVideo that much, would be nice if it worked. I'll post if I get it working.

• 1 month later...
Thnx for the tip. Don't use HDMi so i'm not going to risk breaking reboot and sleep ;)

Don't use the SVideo that much, would be nice if it worked. I'll post if I get it working.

same here, btw du got any news? any updates?

and voodoosdhci is not workin for me brakes shutdown restart and totally ruins sleep do u have anytin that works?

• 2 months later...

My laptop is supposed to go into standby when its close to low battery inside Windows 7, I'm dualbooted and the Mac OSX install works fine as far as I know.

The problem I'm having right now is that the screen fades away but the laptop itself doesn't actually go into standby. No combination of key presses or power button presses can force the screen to come back or make the laptop go into standby as it should, I just can't see anything at all. It's unfortunate because every time this happens I have to hard reset my laptop and lose all my open applications/work.

It's been a while since I did the installation (almost 6 months) so I don't remember the details but if there's any information you need I'm sure I can provide it.

Thanks!

My laptop is supposed to go into standby when its close to low battery inside Windows 7, I'm dualbooted and the Mac OSX install works fine as far as I know.

The problem I'm having right now is that the screen fades away but the laptop itself doesn't actually go into standby. No combination of key presses or power button presses can force the screen to come back or make the laptop go into standby as it should, I just can't see anything at all. It's unfortunate because every time this happens I have to hard reset my laptop and lose all my open applications/work.

It's been a while since I did the installation (almost 6 months) so I don't remember the details but if there's any information you need I'm sure I can provide it.

Thanks!

have you checked if u have the correct dsdt.aml?

did it ever work or was it always faulty?

I had once a problem with sleep function because of an unco-oping kext it was a sdhc reader kext (voodoosdhc.kext), is it possible that you are using something like that?

can u post at least ur kexts and such?

oh and when the battery is running out the system tries to go into a deepsleep (hybernation) which doesn't work... (which means that u gotta hard reset the computer to let it run again when the battery runs out in standby)

is this for sleep in every occasion or only when the battery runs out,

sorry if i am misinterpreting anything but its 3 o'clock n i'm a lil tired so i'll check it again tomorrow...

As far as I know this problem only started happening a few months ago. I don't remember what behavior was like before that. As for whether it happens every time, no it only happens when the computer is about to run out of battery. In Windows, if I hit the power button, it goes to sleep as it should.

Here's a shot of everything in my Extra folder. I'm pretty sure 90% of it came from this thread.

Let me know if you need anything else.

post-704310-1308527457_thumb.png

Oh also, I'm running 10.6.5 right now - will running software update to .7 or whatever it is now cause any problems?

no no problems on my side...

what happens is that when your battery ends the sleep mode will not hold... it crashes... is it possible that your battery is dying?

I havent found any working solution to my actual situation with the use of my kexts and dsdt, there is a half working solution for getting the deepsleep mode working.... I suggest you check that...

check on that...

if you find any solutions share :P

thnx

havent had any other sleep problems yet...

your kexts seem fine... you should be sleepin correctly

It's strange. My battery is definitely dying - both Windows and OSX say to replace it. I have a replacement coming soon.

OSX doesn't put the computer to sleep, it just straight up power fails because the battery went way out of charge. Windows will turn the screen off but not sleep it - and in addition to that not allow the computer to be slept (I think there's some kind of prompt on screen because I get the little ping if I press a key)

Either way I ordered a new battery and I'll update you when that arrives. Does sleep work the way it should for you?