[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530.

111 posts in this topic

Hi, thanks for this guide. It all works and i have sound, wifi and graphics working everything !! but...when i update to 10.6.4 and reboot in verbose it loads everything fine up to the point were it says still waiting for root device ?? ive tried many flags like rd=disk0s2 etc and nothings working ?? what should i do ????

EDIT: The Retail 10.6.3 it is which has the problem. Installing the iAtokos v7 went perfectly.

Btw is it also possible to delete the snow leopard and try again without needed to reinstall the iAtokos?

I'm having some issues when trying to boot Snow Leopard.

Normal mode apple logo comes up but no loading sign comes.

When in verbose mode it gives the following lines before blacking out

efi_inject_get_devprop_string null

no smbios replace found

Patched DMI Table

Loaded MPS + File DSDT.aml

Patches ACPI Version2 DSDT

Any clue whats wrong?

EDIT: The Retail 10.6.3 it is which has the problem. Installing the iAtokos v7 went perfectly.

Btw is it also possible to delete the snow leopard and try again without needed to reinstall the iAtokos?

I'm having some issues when trying to boot Snow Leopard.

Normal mode apple logo comes up but no loading sign comes.

When in verbose mode it gives the following lines before blacking out

efi_inject_get_devprop_string null

no smbios replace found

Patched DMI Table

Loaded MPS + File DSDT.aml

Patches ACPI Version2 DSDT

Any clue whats wrong?

if the screen is totally blacking out then try changing the output to ur monitor. For example i have a ati 4670 with hdmi and vga ofcourse i was using the hdmi to connect to my monitor but when i was loading snow leopard it would go thru all the line not show a single error or panic and then would go to a blank screen total black , so i changed my connection from hdmi to VGA and it worked.

In short its probably ur video card thats the culprit so try playing with the connecting cable ur using ie change from hdmi to VGA or vice versa and i even heard of a scenarios where u have to have the DVI cable connected to the DVI out of the card while using VGA to get it to work, so just play with it and see what happens.

Well I guess the videocard is the issue too but it can't be HDMI since I dont even got that.

I got the onboard videocard that came with inspiron 530, which is the following:

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0

I hope its even possible with that videocard to run the new snow leopard?

EDIT: Software update to 10.6.4 worked got 10.6.4 running now.

Ok I solved it.

I installed the extra map of EMPIREEFI-1063 (bootcd.iso)

when I booted i at least got errors like "still waiting for root" so I changed mode from RAID back to IDE.

And it worked. Got a 10.6.3 now.

i also have mine working in IDE mode my only problem is i have 2 drives and 1 DVD so in IDE mode i can only access the drives attached to sata 1 & 2( 3&4 dont exist while 5 &6 are inaccessable) . I have tried the kext attached (IOATA****.kext) from this thread but it still doenst work for me not sure why.

Hey all, sorry, I've been out of town for the past week. Let's tackle some issues 1 by 1.

First:

I already made a retail guide for this here

The Studio 540 and the Inspiron 530 are not the same machine. The Studio 540 is newer and uses a different chipset.

EDIT: Software update to 10.6.4 worked got 10.6.4 running now.

Ok I solved it.

I installed the extra map of EMPIREEFI-1063 (bootcd.iso)

when I booted i at least got errors like "still waiting for root" so I changed mode from RAID back to IDE.

And it worked. Got a 10.6.3 now.

Yeah, as you'll (unfortunately) learn, video cards are the bane of Hackintosh. It would be impossible to write a guide for the Inspiron 530 that accounts for the myriad of vid cards out there; instead I just tell you how to get up and running with the default onboard graphics.

i also have mine working in IDE mode my only problem is i have 2 drives and 1 DVD so in IDE mode i can only access the drives attached to sata 1 & 2( 3&4 dont exist while 5 &6 are inaccessable) . I have tried the kext attached (IOATA****.kext) from this thread but it still doenst work for me not sure why.

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is the case for you. I don't use IOATAFamily.kext. That's a specific way to get Snow Leopard to recognize your SATA ports when running in IDE mode, but it only recognizes 2, not the full four. I think the file you need is called IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext--try installing that, then switching your BIOS setting over to RAID and seeing what happens. It's in the chance for snow archive.

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is the case for you. I don't use IOATAFamily.kext. That's a specific way to get Snow Leopard to recognize your SATA ports when running in IDE mode, but it only recognizes 2, not the full four. I think the file you need is called IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext--try installing that, then switching your BIOS setting over to RAID and seeing what happens. It's in the chance for snow archive.

Thanks for the help il give it a try and post my results.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I have a inspiron 530 with 2 SATA drives in ports 0 and 1 and my DVD in 4.

Also has a nVidia 8600 GT graphics card.

I have followed the guide to the letter and have made good progress

0. BIOS sata setting changed to RAID mode

1. Have Leopard installed on the second partition

2. Boot into leopard and installed SL on main (1st) partition using retail install 10.6.3

3. Have installed chameleon on Snow-L partition (bootloader works)

4. Have copied the "a chance of snow" kexts over and reprocessed the extensions folder in SL with KextUtility

5. have copied the DSDT.aml into root of SL partition

Leopard boots fine and works well

Snow Leopard will not boot, and gives my the "Still waiting for root device" after the following verbose output lines:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)

netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device

mbinit: done (64MB memory set for mbuf pool)

from path: "uuid",

Waiting for boot volume with UUID (lots of hex)

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string> ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded

USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): ... (some hex)

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device

clearly my SATA is working ok - as leopard boots on same drive - however here SL seems to be wating for media disk based root device (not the SATA disk) - my mobo chipset is G33 (BIOS 10.0.18)

Is it possible the IOATAFamily.kext doesnt support this ?

I have also tried booting with the rd=disk1s2 switch (which is the BSD id of my SL partition) but I still get the same issue ? maybe this is a red herring.

many thanks for any help

Paul

You could try switching back to IDE in the bios.

I had this problem too with "still waiting for root" and when I changed back to IDE the Snow leopard would boot.

Weird but well.

Moonpool:

I'm honestly not sure why this is happening. I guess try switching back to IDE for now? And are you sure you have AHCIBlockInjection.kext loaded? AND that you properly installed the Snow Leopard kexts? (You need to drag the folder on the Snow Leopard drive onto the Kext Utility while you're in Leopard; otherwise, you're just repairing Leopard's kext permissions.

Moonpool:

I'm honestly not sure why this is happening. I guess try switching back to IDE for now? And are you sure you have AHCIBlockInjection.kext loaded? AND that you properly installed the Snow Leopard kexts? (You need to drag the folder on the Snow Leopard drive onto the Kext Utility while you're in Leopard; otherwise, you're just repairing Leopard's kext permissions.

Yes! I have fixed it - I was doing all the things you said, but I found a different AHCI injector kernel extension on kexts.com that wasnt in the "A Chance of snow" package:

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=83

called Intel ACHI Port Injector

once I installed this, Snow Leopard all boots okay

awesome

(maybe it would be worth adding this Kext to the A chance Of Snow package.)

edit: I now have fully working Snow leopard, with sound, graphics acceleration , the works ! - thanks very much indeed for the awesome guide and all the other feedback on this topic.

cheers

MoonPool

Hi, sorry to sway away from the topic, but would it be possible to use an Apple studio display with my Hackintosh?

I've got an old nvidia 6200 with dvi so i'd probably need a converter, but am still not sure if it would work.

UPDATE:

my mini guide. Oct 6th 2010

No leopard install needed.

setup BIOS SATA mode > RAID (otherwise got the dreaded waiting on root device. I think this enables AHCI???)

download /burn iAtkos S3 v.2 10.6.3 ( I recommend imgburn > burn it slowly x4)

boot it >

format partion GUID (as above)

customise install

tick Drivers > AHCI driver

NTFS 3G

done.

your good to go.

POINTERS!

while booting dvd and initial boot use kernal boot flags -v -f (verbose) (force drivers to load)

POST install

install kext helper b7 > drag and drop extra kexts for network ( google around for intel82566MM kext).

N.B. out of the box DELL graphics card will only run 1024 x 768

SOLUTION > check hardware list and go out and buy a cheap new card.

(haven't done update yet)

(not your) PROBLEMS

I can't seem to easily run windows 7 now in RAID mode, so gotta keep turning this back in bios.

UPDATE:

my mini guide. Oct 6th 2010

No leopard install needed.

setup BIOS SATA mode > RAID (otherwise got the dreaded waiting on root device. I think this enables AHCI???)

download /burn iAtkos S3 v.2 10.6.3 ( I recommend imgburn > burn it slowly x4)

boot it >

format partion GUID (as above)

customise install

tick Drivers > AHCI driver

NTFS 3G

done.

your good to go.

POINTERS!

while booting dvd and initial boot use kernal boot flags -v -f (verbose) (force drivers to load)

POST install

install kext helper b7 > drag and drop extra kexts for network ( google around for intel82566MM kext).

N.B. out of the box DELL graphics card will only run 1024 x 768

SOLUTION > check hardware list and go out and buy a cheap new card.

(haven't done update yet)

(not your) PROBLEMS

I can't seem to easily run windows 7 now in RAID mode, so gotta keep turning this back in bios.

Does this result in a vanilla install? I have iAtkos S3 installed on my XPS M1330 (along with a retail install) but I was under the impression that iAtkos uses a modified kernel.

I appreciate the tutorial. It worked well on my Dell Inspiron 530. I am having a problem, though. I can't seem to be able to get my nVidia 7300 GS card to work. I tried adding the card with "OSX86 Tools", but got a weird applescript error. I've tried various nvidia enablers (titan, natit, etc..), and nothing works.

I was also able to install Snow Leopard using Mattisz' guide ( http://www.mattisz.com/hacks/snow-leopard-inspiron-530 ), but the result from that was not upgradeable, even after recopying the kexts, but that one supported my nVidia 7300 card OOTB. The result of this tutorial is upgradeable, but I can't get the card to work right. Need something that does both...

I appreciate the tutorial. It worked well on my Dell Inspiron 530. I am having a problem, though. I can't seem to be able to get my nVidia 7300 GS card to work. I tried adding the card with "OSX86 Tools", but got a weird applescript error. I've tried various nvidia enablers (titan, natit, etc..), and nothing works.

I was also able to install Snow Leopard using Mattisz' guide ( http://www.mattisz.com/hacks/snow-leopard-inspiron-530 ), but the result from that was not upgradeable, even after recopying the kexts, but that one supported my nVidia 7300 card OOTB. The result of this tutorial is upgradeable, but I can't get the card to work right. Need something that does both...

Hmm. Have you tried setting "GraphicsEnabled=Yes" in your boot.plist? Similarly, have you tried upgrading your Chameleon install to one using AnVaL? Graphics cards are very finicky--I just got an nVidia 9500GS and am going to try using that, but I don't know how successful I will be in building around it.

You may also want to look into iAtkos S3 V2. I've heard good things about it. That'll be the distro I try next, honestly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I can confirm that iAtkos S3 V2 works perfectly, and you can easily run software update without breaking anything. I'll need to update my guide to reflect this new method; it dramatically cuts down the time spent waiting.

hi, i'm reading your forum for a long time & im 100% beginers in hackintosh. first let me tell you that all i can read everywhere on the internet including here is kinda hard to understand. i knew hackintosh was not an easy thing for newbies like me & indeed it really is not. it makes about 40 times for real that i try to install snow leopard all in vain. i first tried 20 times on a HP SLIMLINE s3215 (amd athlon 64 X2) which seems not very compatible in the end. using either leohazard 10 6 1/10 6 2 amd version, either a bootloader plus retail 10 6 3, even both through vmware 7.1 on windows 7.... and nothing worked. so i ve searched solutions for this one on so many pages & finally found those pages for inspiron 530 where it was written install successfull on that computer.

lucky me my other computer is inspiron 530. so i decided to forget about the HP Slimline 3215 & tried DELL inspiron 530. (by the way if someone has solution for the HP, please gimme links, i so found nothing, i guess it is very uncompatible but who knows)

anyway all this to say i tried to install iatkos S3 V2 at least 20 times as well & still in vain. i didnt try the leopard first then snow leopard method because you clearly wrote here that iatkos s3 v2 worked. so i directly tried S3V2 very recently & i didnt succeed. i even tried it vitually with vmware 7.1 in vain. both methods were close to succeed but it didnt. on the real physical disc (not by vmware) i am the closest to succeed, install ends successfully & problem comes after the reboot. i'm stucked on the grey background with the apple & it stays forever.

all this to say that it is really really hard to understand for a newbie like me. i still try to understand everyday but i realize it is such a mountain in front of me; even here it is not so clear. things look natural for you but its not for me (truely sorry !!!) i dont understand even the half of what i need to check or uncheck. what are all those stuffs for. its easy to blindly follow a guide & if it works then fine but if it doesnt thats where understanding what you are doing helps & in my case i dont understand what i'm doing most of the time & thats the problem. i do know that. i realize i have to learn the hack part & the mac part which are both quite hard. (yes yes mac is quite hard, i know it has the reputation to be easy but its not.... its exactly the same as windows when you see them for the first time... anyway i still wanna learn)

sorry for that long message but it is to reply to the fact that an updated S3V2 guide was necessar. BELIVE ME IT IS, i cant wait for it even if iatkos S3V2 looks easier & faster than the very first option (it is indeed) but it s still hard. what do i need to check or uncheck in the customized parts to make at last my inspiron 530 work. i am lost. i dont know how you do all that but congratulations, sincerely, i hope i'll succeed one day.

by the way my inspiron 530 is intel core 2 duo 2.66Ghz, with ATI radeon 2400HD graphic card. bios is 1 0 18 with raid option, and theres 4gb ram; is it possible with that.

thanks for reading