Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

Damn. I guess I should have waited for your reply before doing anything crazy. I've just completely over-estimated the complexity of this. :)

Do you know if there's any way to fix this mess by perhaps booting off the Snow Leopard disk or booting with the 10.6.4 update mounted to a USB? Or even by copying over the System/Library/Extensions folder (as well as the .mkext file) from my MacBook?

You can re-install the 10.6.4 combo update to refresh your S/L/E folder back to vanilla. If you have 3rd party kexts in there you can just delete them, install that update, repair disk permissions.

You could also just start all over. Personally, I keep my Chameleon install and Extra folder on a 1GB partition of my main drive so that I can re-install the OS without ever having to re-install drivers. (Granted, now that Apple has messed with sound so much you always need a bin-hacked AppleHDA.kext)

Hey guys - I'm having some very strange problems and would appreciate any advice in terms of how to fix it, or how to at least better diagnose the issue.

Here's my build:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 (FA Bios)

EVGA 9800GTX 512 MB

EVGA 9800GT 512 MB

6GB RAM

I'm using most of the fixes from this thread and I've recently put the 0.2.2 VoodooHDA kext in my /E/E folder. However, every now and then I'll get some pretty serious audio distortion (it sounds like my CPU can't keep up with playing the audio). It'll crackle and pop and skip. Sometimes, video/Flash will also have problems when this happens. I'm not exactly sure what causes it (Time Machine, USB Webcam, Skype don't seem to have a direct correlation with causing it). No meters are going crazy (in iStat) like HD use, network, CPU, memory - everything seems pretty calm.

I've also removed the AppleUserUpstream kext to fix the jumpy mouse problem.

I used the Kakewalk 2.2 SL disk method to install.

Why are you using VoodooHDA? It is not a good sound solution and frequently causes these types of problems.

Use the files already in this thread to have working audio. You need:

in /E:

an edited DSDT

in /E/E

LegacyHDA.kext

in S/L/E:

modden AppleHDA.kext (use kext utility)

You will also need to delete Voodoo.

I am very interested in buy a GA-X58A-UD3R board.

I'm concerned about the Rev. 2.0 due to all the kext installs. Does the Rev 1.0 board work completely "out of the box" so to speak with the Kakewalk installer? The thread on the forum says its supports the X58A-UD3R motherboard. I assume perhaps only for the 1.0 version? can anyone confirm that 1.0 boards do not have any audio or ethernet issues with this installer?

Except for ALC889A audio chipsets, all motherboards require hacked or modified AppleHDA.kexts in order to have working sound. That includes the rev 1.0.

The kakewalk method should work completely at the time of install, but every single update you will need to use kext utility and drag a modified AppleHDA.kext on top of it in order to have working audio.

It might be best if you just learn how to do a USB install since methods like kakewalk don't actually teach you anything. You remain completely ignorant and helpless after an update or any change to your system. Something will always go wrong and you would be better suited learning how to fix it now rather than later.

@nullspot: I have looked through my BIOS and I can only find the option thats soemthing in the nature of enable VCore, which is set to auto, and when i enter into that, it gave me a lonnnng list of decimals ranging from soemthing like 0.5~~~~ to 6.~~~~~, is that the option you were referring to? and if it is, what did you set it at?

my cpu is running at 6 to 10 degrees lower than before when i used ur dsdt of 920chip, but it is still hovering around 50ish. (48 to 54 Celsius to be exact). lowering the temp to the upper 30s and lower 40s would be soooo perfect for me.

thank you so much for your effort on dsdt for the 920 chip, I really appreciate it.

EDIT:

I've gotten my network running on 64bit as well, awesome job.

Chynaman:

instead of "auto" change that setting to "normal". then you will have the option to enable vcore. took me a while to figure that out.

econ

I am curious about what others with the i7 920 are doing for overclocking. i set my baseclock to 200 so i could get my RAM running at 1600. i have my cpu ratio at a low 16 which gives me a stable 3.6ghz cpu speed. anybody see anything wrong with this approach?

My machine is running well in 64bit with nullspots dsdt for the i7 920, the audio fix and the new IONetworkingFamily.kext for ethernet. in my extra/extensions are only 3 items: the new 2.7 version of fakesmc.kext, the JMicronATA.kext and the Legacy889HDA.kext.

Is there a consensus on exactly what needs to be included in an optimized smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist for the x58a-ud3r rev 2.0 with i7 920? Do these plist files affect performance? i don't know why, but my xbench score has decreased at some point recently - i think it might have been the 10.6.4 update but i am not sure

if you have an i7 920 box and you are getting good bench results can you post your smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist so i can compare with my own?

econ

So in my everlasting quest to get rid of the video/audio choppiness and slowdowns, I'm exploring a new avenue of attack and I think it may be the Northbridge overheating during runtime causing video and audio hiccuping. I used to work at AMD and it occurred to me that the NB is all about connecting video/RAM/CPU together, and I'm guessing they put a bunch of the peripherals like audio in there (or atleast going through there). When I put my finger on it, it definitely feels VERY hot and I've read elsewhere this board is known to have a very hot NB. I don't think the temperatures in iStat are correct, cause it was showing me 37 in iStat but in BIOS it was saying 60 degrees C.

One other reason I think this could be the reason is that I'm not using the stock i7 cooler, I put in a Corsair H50 which keeps the CPU cool but doesn't provide any airflow for the other components. I'm guessing the NB on my board (the GA-X58A-UD3R which doesn't have a NB fan) is designed to have some kind of active cooling around it to work.

So a few questions:

- Would an overheating NB cause these kinds of hiccups (video/audio choppiness mainly)

- Does anyone have any good recommendations on cooling this besides reseating and putting new thermal paste as well as putting in the i7 stock cooling back in?

- Would running two video cards (not in SLI) cause this kind of problem? Is there some configuration of seating the cards that I don't know about that could help? I have my 9800GT in PCIE 16x1 and my 9800GTX+ in PCIE 16x2, if I just sat them in the 8x1 and 8x2 would that make them run cooler? I don't need 3d performance, just good enough to watch videos really.

So in my everlasting quest to get rid of the video/audio choppiness and slowdowns, I'm exploring a new avenue of attack and I think it may be the Northbridge overheating during runtime causing video and audio hiccuping. I used to work at AMD and it occurred to me that the NB is all about connecting video/RAM/CPU together, and I'm guessing they put a bunch of the peripherals like audio in there (or atleast going through there). When I put my finger on it, it definitely feels VERY hot and I've read elsewhere this board is known to have a very hot NB. I don't think the temperatures in iStat are correct, cause it was showing me 37 in iStat but in BIOS it was saying 60 degrees C.

One other reason I think this could be the reason is that I'm not using the stock i7 cooler, I put in a Corsair H50 which keeps the CPU cool but doesn't provide any airflow for the other components. I'm guessing the NB on my board (the GA-X58A-UD3R which doesn't have a NB fan) is designed to have some kind of active cooling around it to work.

So a few questions:

- Would an overheating NB cause these kinds of hiccups (video/audio choppiness mainly)

- Does anyone have any good recommendations on cooling this besides reseating and putting new thermal paste as well as putting in the i7 stock cooling back in?

- Would running two video cards (not in SLI) cause this kind of problem? Is there some configuration of seating the cards that I don't know about that could help? I have my 9800GT in PCIE 16x1 and my 9800GTX+ in PCIE 16x2, if I just sat them in the 8x1 and 8x2 would that make them run cooler? I don't need 3d performance, just good enough to watch videos really.

i7 CPUs have integrated memory controllers, so RAM no longer uses the NB. So, to answer your first question: probably not.

Are you overclocking? Do you have extra voltage going to your NB? I am extremely skeptical that your NB is overheating at default temperatures. It seems much more likely, given your large number of system problems, that you have bad hardware. Why not test all of your components?

You could always put a 120mm fan pointed directly at the NB and do some testing. If the problem goes away, then hey, I guess that was it.

I have no idea about the video cards, but again, it only takes 5 minutes to take one out and see if you experience the same symptoms.

Are you still using Voodoo HDA?

i7 CPUs have integrated memory controllers, so RAM no longer uses the NB. So, to answer your first question: probably not.

Are you overclocking? Do you have extra voltage going to your NB? I am extremely skeptical that your NB is overheating at default temperatures. It seems much more likely, given your large number of system problems, that you have bad hardware. Why not test all of your components?

You could always put a 120mm fan pointed directly at the NB and do some testing. If the problem goes away, then hey, I guess that was it.

I have no idea about the video cards, but again, it only takes 5 minutes to take one out and see if you experience the same symptoms.

Are you still using Voodoo HDA?

Since the RAM no longer uses the NB I'm assuming that means it should run much cooler? I was reading in other forums and it appears that the Gigabyte motherboard that we have exhibits this issue - in essence when the NB gets above a certain temperature, DPC latency shoots up as the BIOS tries to protect itself from overheating. Here's a post on the topic: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2166.0

I'm not overclocking nor have I adjusted the voltage settings - I really just want a stable build and don't need the power of this configuration much less overclocking it. I'm going to try the fan tonight, I think because I installed a H50 instead of a stock i7 fan, there's very little airflow going through the Northbridge.

I've tried using each video card individually and it works (testing by rendering iMovies, watching 1080 flash, simultaneously) without any issue. My second card really runs quite hot so that may be an issue.

The only other problem I really have is the PSU whine but I think that's a known issue with these mobos.

david

So I went with the theory that it was the NB overheating and I did a few things:

1. Removed the Gigabyte blue plate from the NB, didn't really see it providing any benefit (maybe channeling air from the power supply more effectively, but also blocking air from the case side fan).

2. Reapplied TIM (thermal interface material for the uninitiated, which I was today) to the NB. Also, I noticed the NB is attached relatively loosely, I tightened it a bit.

3. Removed the Corsair H50 and put the stock intel fan back on.

The stuttering ia gone and I don't get the red LED's on my NB indicator anymore, also, it's warm but touchable, whereas before it was scalding and I couldn't touch it for more than a second at best. Just wanted to put that here for those who may experience this problem in the future.

Also the corsair h50 kept my CPU cooler, but at the cost of not cooling down the MOSFETs and the NB. Before I had a 37 degree CPU, 28 deg HD and now I have 47 CPU and 35 HD, but also much lower NB. I think optimally, I'd get some kind of water cooling solution for those things as well, but in the meantime I'm just going to use the stock Intel. Much louder, but I'd rather have some fan noise than an unstable machine. Also, it kind of drowns out the coil whine from the PSU :(

Thanks again for all the advice. Remember, these boards get very hot and our current BIOS has some issues with DPC latency at higher NB temps (I know very little about what all this means, just what I read).

Hope this will help someone some day.

Can someone please explain to me the importance of the mods to smbios.plist and info.plist? I'm a n00b in over my head trying to juggle the hackstructions of my GPU (HD 5770), SL and the dsdt. I've broken 2 installations now, and will wipe the drive and attempt a 3rd install once I can figure out how to get rid of my kernel panic. I attached a screenshot of it in case anyone is familiar with it and can reccommend a troubleshooting technique. But the weird thing is that I'm getting the kp when booting from tonymacx86's CD, not from my HD. My HD freezes at the apple logo...

I'm pretty sure the panic is as a result of me neglecting to mod smbios.plist and info.plist as instructed to do in this thread. But I just wanted to verify that this is indeed the cause of my broken install before I attempt to install SL for a 3rd time.

post-644924-1279649544_thumb.jpg

Can someone please explain to me the importance of the mods to smbios.plist and info.plist? I'm a n00b in over my head trying to juggle the hackstructions of my GPU (HD 5770), SL and the dsdt. I've broken 2 installations now, and will wipe the drive and attempt a 3rd install once I can figure out how to get rid of my kernel panic. I attached a screenshot of it in case anyone is familiar with it and can reccommend a troubleshooting technique. But the weird thing is that I'm getting the kp when booting from tonymacx86's CD, not from my HD. My HD freezes at the apple logo...

I'm pretty sure the panic is as a result of me neglecting to mod smbios.plist and info.plist as instructed to do in this thread. But I just wanted to verify that this is indeed the cause of my broken install before I attempt to install SL for a 3rd time.

There is no modding going on. You just need to download the files from this thread and copy and paste them.

Have you tried booting with -x -f -v? Is AHCI mode enabled?

AHCI mode is enabled. But I'm a n00b and not familiar with -x -f or -v booting. What's the easiest way to wipe my HD so I can reinstall from scratch? I'm having a difficult time with kernel panics in gparted too.

can't you wipe it with disk utility during the installation?

SL won't boot so I can't access disc utility. It also won't boot in safe mode or verbose mode. And when I try to boot from CD, I get this kernel panic.

Do you are saying you cannot do the following:?

When you load the installer from either Kakewalk or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method, you eventually get to a screen where you see "Install Mac OS X" up at the top of the screen choose Utilities --> Disk Utility --> click on your Hard drive in the left hand pane --> Partition (right hand pane) --> 1 partion, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Table ---> Partition --> Exit out of the Disk Utility --> Continue with installation

So I went with the theory that it was the NB overheating and I did a few things:

1. Removed the Gigabyte blue plate from the NB, didn't really see it providing any benefit (maybe channeling air from the power supply more effectively, but also blocking air from the case side fan).

2. Reapplied TIM (thermal interface material for the uninitiated, which I was today) to the NB. Also, I noticed the NB is attached relatively loosely, I tightened it a bit.

3. Removed the Corsair H50 and put the stock intel fan back on.

The stuttering ia gone and I don't get the red LED's on my NB indicator anymore, also, it's warm but touchable, whereas before it was scalding and I couldn't touch it for more than a second at best. Just wanted to put that here for those who may experience this problem in the future.

Also the corsair h50 kept my CPU cooler, but at the cost of not cooling down the MOSFETs and the NB. Before I had a 37 degree CPU, 28 deg HD and now I have 47 CPU and 35 HD, but also much lower NB. I think optimally, I'd get some kind of water cooling solution for those things as well, but in the meantime I'm just going to use the stock Intel. Much louder, but I'd rather have some fan noise than an unstable machine. Also, it kind of drowns out the coil whine from the PSU :(

Thanks again for all the advice. Remember, these boards get very hot and our current BIOS has some issues with DPC latency at higher NB temps (I know very little about what all this means, just what I read).

Hope this will help someone some day.

Dave, you are my hero! I was getting sooo sick of the choppy audio and tried everything I could think of to make it go away. Thanks for your insight.

Dave, you are my hero! I was getting sooo sick of the choppy audio and tried everything I could think of to make it go away. Thanks for your insight.

Glad to know the information was helpful. That problem drove me crazy for a while, I guess I haven't built a machine in so long I forgot about all those kinds of considerations.

The machine's been running smoothly for over a week doing all kinds of things that I was afraid to do previously. It's my dream computer (3 monitor behemoth)! Really appreciate all the help here in building this.

david

Just wanted to express my thanks for Nullspot and many other's who started this thread and contributed to it. I have tried both installation methods ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) and Kakewalk 2.2 using Nullspots procedure. I've found that I can get all the major componets working with either installtion method described in this thread: Audio, Ethernet, Graphics etc. However I am still having an issue that I'm hoping someone could help me resolve.

Depending on which method you use to install, there comes a point where you have to either use someone's DSDT ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method) or use kakeboot to reinstall the correct motherboard (Gigabyte EX58-UD5 in initial install and then X58A-UD3R option after you get the OS installed). When you do one or the other depending on which method you use, I basically lose the ability to use my DVD burner. Before I make either of the changes I am able to use the burner to burn DVD's, CD's, and hypothetically(haven't tested) Blu Ray DVD's.

the burner is a LG WH10LS30 Blu Ray Burner

The rest of my hardware is described below in my signature.

Any insight would be extremely helpful, as I mentioned before I have installed OSX 10.6.4 using both methods described in this thread with success.

Thank you in advance for your time and also a special thanks to the following for thier guidance thoughout this thread:

nullspot

Phorte

delicatepc

howboutjoe

jdc

econ3000

heythisisdave

d00d (for his power management thread)

jayco437

Kunal2139

jacoverse (Reaaltec_8111D_3264)

maleorderbride

Hello everyone,

I'm new at installing Hackintoshes, so I'd appreciate it if someone could help me get started. I've read through most of the thread and it looks very useful and informative...thanks for all the work you guys have put in.

Now...I have the rev 2.0 of this motherboard. I tried using Kakewalk with the X58A-UD3R option (booting from CD). I was able to run the OS X installer, partition my HD, and start the install process...I think it rebooted with about 10 minutes left (or maybe it finished, I wasn't present when it actually rebooted), and then I wasn't able to book back up off the HD again. I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that I have rev 2.0.

So I was hoping somebody could tell me how to get started, by first getting SL installed, and then an overview of what I do with the DSDT's and kexts out there. I'm willing to do research on the details on my own, but it would help if i can get an overview of the general procedure, because I am pretty lost right now. Thank you for your help!

EDIT: Actually I just noticed the post above mine by Daave311 gives a quick summary on how to get started...so I guess I'll follow that for now!

I installed ratail OS X 10.6.3 with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2 (user DSDT). For network used RTGNICv2.0.4 from Realtec www. For audio LegacyHDA. All setup went fast and smoothly, everything working.

GeekBench 64-bit reult 9900

X58A-UD3R REV2.0

i7 930

4 GB HyperX memory

GeForce 7600 GT

Great job, guys!

P.S. earlier I burned down two mobos when I tried original Mac video GT120. Worked fine but after restart machine hangs in BIOS startup. I even can't restore it.

Next step - GTX 285

I'm interested in upgrading to a Fermi nvidia card (currently running a 9500GT). I installed my system using Kakewalk...so if I wanted to upgrade to a new video card, can I/how do I install a new boot loader? will it work?

Hi. Didn't see your post.

Neither of those are really errors in my experience. I would look elsewhere for the problems.

1. Disable any overclock, if it is unstable then you will receive random KPs and hangs that are not really software related

2. If you have a windows disk arround you could run OCCT at stock settings for an hour and see if your system is actually stable

3. Run memtest86+ for 3 passes

4. If that hardware checks out, then completely remake your installer thumb. Maybe something was lost during the restore process. Your hardware is no different than anyone else here, so its not your kexts or whatever else. It is either hardware or the thumb drive has a problem/was made incorrectly. (noticed you are using a 470. that seems like a poort choice for a starting install)

To re-make the the thumb drive:

A. Format it GUID

B. Install AsereBLN v1.9 http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644

C. Copy and paste the attached Extra folder. (for i7-930)

D. Either mount your image or insert your retail SL DVD and restore it to the thumb drive without erasing what is there.

E. Don't install with the 470 in. Install with any janky Nvidia card. 7xxx-9xxx, or even a more recent card. Just not the 4xx series. After you install and update to 10.6.4 do this for Fermi support: http://netkas.org/?p=455

David,

Do you have problems when you only run one of those video cards?

I have a GA-EX58A-UD3R with an i7 930 up and running using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/retail install/10.6.4 combo update/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/realtek drivers from their site/Audio kexts installed using kext helper b7.

Everything seems to be working besides sleep.

I would like to install the DSDT file there in post #33, but I do not know how to install it. I tried placing it on the desktop and then using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and chose "User DSDT" but it didn't seem to work.

Other small issues I am having is the CPU speed not working correctly. I am using 22 multi in bios, and windows see the computer at 4Ghz, but OSX is only seeing 21multi and 3.8ghz.

Everything seems to be working besides sleep.

I would like to install the DSDT file there in post #33, but I do not know how to install it. I tried placing it on the desktop and then using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and chose "User DSDT" but it didn't seem to work.

Other small issues I am having is the CPU speed not working correctly. I am using 22 multi in bios, and windows see the computer at 4Ghz, but OSX is only seeing 21multi and 3.8ghz.

1.) Does your computer resume from sleep if you hit the power button? Allot of the other users expressed that their sleep does work but only if you wake up the computer with the power button.

2.) I'm not entirely sure how to properly 'install' a DSDT either, however I have tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the "User DSDT" Option but then I believe you have to repair permissions. You can do this in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] by selecting the option right below "User DSDT" called "System Utilities" this does two things, rebuild's the caches and repairs permissions. If you were 'installing' someone else's DSDT manually I think all you'd have to do is replace the one that's in /Extra/ Folder then you'd could either type the commands in the terminal to repair permissions and rebuid caches or you could use other software that does it for you like "kext Utility".

3.)I've had the same issue with the CPU not showing the correct clock speed after I've bumped up the multiplier in the BIOS. What does show correctly is if you bump up the clock speed of the RAM. Out of the box my 12 GB of RAM was running around 1200 and I bumped it up to 1600. Now it shows as 1598 under "About this Mac" in OSX. I think in order for the CPU to show that it's been overclocked you have to edit some aspect of the DSDT? Hoping someone with experience could shed some light in this area as well.

I installed ratail OS X 10.6.3 with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2 (user DSDT). For network used RTGNICv2.0.4 from Realtec www. For audio LegacyHDA. All setup went fast and smoothly, everything working.

GeekBench 64-bit reult 9900

X58A-UD3R REV2.0

i7 930

4 GB HyperX memory

GeForce 7600 GT

Great job, guys!

P.S. earlier I burned down two mobos when I tried original Mac video GT120. Worked fine but after restart machine hangs in BIOS startup. I even can't restore it.

Next step - GTX 285

When you installed with "User DSDT" Option did you use Nullspot's (Post #33) or someone elses DSDT from this thread? Just curious because I am having problems where I lose the ability to use the Blu-Ray Burner when I use someone elses DSDT. But the alternative is having to boot from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] each time I'd want to enter the OS.

1.) Does your computer resume from sleep if you hit the power button? Allot of the other users expressed that their sleep does work but only if you wake up the computer with the power button.

2.) I'm not entirely sure how to properly 'install' a DSDT either, however I have tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the "User DSDT" Option but then I believe you have to repair permissions. You can do this in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] by selecting the option right below "User DSDT" called "System Utilities" this does two things, rebuild's the caches and repairs permissions. If you were 'installing' someone else's DSDT manually I think all you'd have to do is replace the one that's in /Extra/ Folder then you'd could either type the commands in the terminal to repair permissions and rebuid caches or you could use other software that does it for you like "kext Utility".

3.)I've had the same issue with the CPU not showing the correct clock speed after I've bumped up the multiplier in the BIOS. What does show correctly is if you bump up the clock speed of the RAM. Out of the box my 12 GB of RAM was running around 1200 and I bumped it up to 1600. Now it shows as 1598 under "About this Mac" in OSX. I think in order for the CPU to show that it's been overclocked you have to edit some aspect of the DSDT? Hoping someone with experience could shed some light in this area as well.

When you installed with "User DSDT" Option did you use Nullspot's (Post #33) or someone elses DSDT from this thread? Just curious because I am having problems where I lose the ability to use the Blu-Ray Burner when I use someone elses DSDT. But the alternative is having to boot from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] each time I'd want to enter the OS.

I had used nullspots DSDT, and I had tried using the systems utilities option in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. The problem is it doesn't even really go to sleep. the screen turns off, but all the fans and everything is still running...though I think I hear the hard drives turn off. I will try installing the DSDT manually then repair permissions. I forget the command to run from terminal to do that though.

I was able to get it to recognize 4ghz by changing the multi to 21, and increasing bclk. seems like it just doesn't want to acknowledge the 22 multi on the 930?

Geekbench score is just a little over 10k. Is that right? seems like my memory speed is what holding me back some. It is DDR3 2000, but it is only clocked at about 1400 in the bios. If I change my mem multi to 10x it will be alot higher, but then uncore needs to be at 20 or 21 right? and it wont boot at those speeds.

I had used nullspots DSDT, and I had tried using the systems utilities option in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. The problem is it doesn't even really go to sleep. the screen turns off, but all the fans and everything is still running...though I think I hear the hard drives turn off. I will try installing the DSDT manually then repair permissions. I forget the command to run from terminal to do that though.

I was able to get it to recognize 4ghz by changing the multi to 21, and increasing bclk. seems like it just doesn't want to acknowledge the 22 multi on the 930?

Geekbench score is just a little over 10k. Is that right? seems like my memory speed is what holding me back some. It is DDR3 2000, but it is only clocked at about 1400 in the bios. If I change my mem multi to 10x it will be alot higher, but then uncore needs to be at 20 or 21 right? and it wont boot at those speeds.

Ok, I was able to increase my geekbench score by removing nullcpumanament from /E/E, and sleep halfway works. It will go to sleep and everything turns off. When I try to turn it back on the fans start spinning and everything, but nothing shows up on the monitor.

Still not sure if I am installing the DSDT.aml correctly. I have it in the /Extra folder. Am I supposed to run some sort of permissions command from terminal?

I somehow replicated your kernel panic on one of my 15th install's the screen you attached is something that comes up even before you get into the installer so you're going to have to use something else to repartition the drive outside of the installer. Since I have been installing using both the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method and Kakewalk I simply used the kakewalk USB stick method to repartition the drive then you could exit the installer and basiclly restart your install process using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] if that's the method you prefer. I'm sure you could also get something like Partition magic to parition that drive, if you don't have a 8GB USB stick for kakewalk.

hello,

I have

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R v2

Intel Core i7-930

GeForce 9800 GTX +

someone tell me which method to use? and the necessary files? upload files or tutorial post

is necessary to update the BIOS?? or leave it as it comes in BIOS FA?

thanks

hello,

I have

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R v2

Intel Core i7-930

GeForce 9800 GTX +

someone tell me which method to use? and the necessary files? upload files or tutorial post

is necessary to update the BIOS?? or leave it as it comes in BIOS FA?

thanks

Here is the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] guide, it will get you up and running.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

Then you can get the realtek mac drivers here:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloads...p;GetDown=false

Install kext helper b7 when you are running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and now use it to install the audio kext I have attached.

If your graphics aren't working install nvenabler kext at this time too.

See where that gets you.

NVEnabler_64.kext.zip

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

Here is the process I used to get up and running on a GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0, Core i7-930, Nvidia 9500GT:

1. Start with Kakewalk installer but setting motherboard to EX58 UD-5. If you plan to play games or install Adobe software, DO NOT partition your drives with a case-sensitive file system as the Kakewalk guide indicates to do. See here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=226847#

2. After installed, use nullsoft DSDT (copy DSDT to /Extra) and modify other files as detailed in this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1489102

3. Use kexthelper Ethernet - Realtec_8111D_3264.zip

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1510445

4. OS X 10.6.4 Combined update (using software update within Mac OS X)

5. Install Audio drives as nullsoft describes in post 38

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0199&st=37#

6. To make some small tweaks, use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/02/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-ultimate-post-installation.html) with following install options.

To fix drive icons:

Advanced Options -> Kext -> Disk -> IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

To get any IDE CD drives to show up

JMicron36x (aka GSATA) -> JMicron36xATA

To get the proper CPU to show up

Advanced Options -> smbios.plis -> Mac Pro -> Core i7

-----------------------

I managed to mess up my system 3 or 4 times and had to start over on installing OS X each time. To possibly save time, I recommend purchasing a copy of super duper, and using the sandbox/smart update feature in that software...this probably works best if you have two hard disks, but you could also do it with just one. Let me know if you need more details on that.

btw, i wanted to say that to help out people who are looking for information on how to install on this mobo, maybe we should consolidate the installation methods into a single thread (and sticky it?)...As useful as the information is in this thread, it's really confusing as a new hackintosh builder to sift through this thread. If we could lay out one post that was 2 or 3 different choices for installing, then new people can just go down the list, and try those installation methods until one works for them.