[GUIDE/HOWTO] Snow Leopard 10.6.3/10.6.4 on Asus "Republic of Gamers" G60JX

quaestor

158 posts in this topic

As I've said in other posts, there seems to be a problem with certain security algorithms. See if you home network is set for WPA2-PSK, it probably is, and that is not working for me.

Setting it to WPA-PSK will make it so it works. Or better yet, try setting your router to be unsecured for a few mins and see if you can connect. I'm betting you can.

Let us know if that fixes you.

mine is set to wpa2-psk and it works just fine.

as long as you have the atheros 9285, it should work.

if it doesn't work with the kext from 10.6.5 i wonder if it's a locale issue.

I am in the USA and it works just fine.

EDIT:

i must appologize, my router is one i built myself (using FreeBSD as the os) and i forgot when i set up hotsapd that i set WPA=3 which is essentuially wpa 1 and 2 together (it will accept both clients) so it's very possible that i'm connection wpa1

I will test wpa2 later and see if it works...anyways, if this IS the case, i'm sure there will be better drivers eventually OR we could always swap the card out. A cheap broadcom card isn't that expensive.

EDIT2:

on further checking, my original post was correct. WPA2 DOES MOST CERTAINLY WORK. though it might be tied to the branding of this card, see my latest post 2 posts down.

Awesome. Just... awesome.

@Everybody

Ok guys, I'm tired of jumping around looking for stuff, so I've set up a G60 Hackintosh project page at:

http://code.google.com/p/g60jx-hackintosh/

There's only a couple of wiki pages so far, but there's quite a few downloads there. I intend to compile up to date information from this and the G51 thread. With the Google Code site, I will be able to maintain a one-stop shop for what's the latest.

Please let me know if you'd like your information or files taken down, but I hope you'll all agree that we need a central repository to manage the advances that are being made.

Thanks!

ok, now i'm confused again.....regarding wifi, i went and tripple checked and my wpa2 is most CERTAINLY working.

I thought for a minute it might not be because i read so many times here that it wasn't working (and because i had it set to wpa=3)

but i set up 2 routers in my house, both as wpa2 and both seem to work, i also tested it outside my house at a friends house.

The ONLY thing i can think of is i'm using DSDT injection to make my card appear as an Airport Extreme

20100924-dptic9gx23r144mufeghatfnmn.preview.jpgClick for full size

here is the extracted dsdt info for my card:

Device (WLAN)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				OperationRegion (MINP, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x68)
				Field (MINP, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
					VNUM,   32, 
							Offset (0x09), 
					PINF,   8, 
					SBCC,   8, 
					BSCC,   8, 
							Offset (0x2C), 
					SNUM,   32, 
							Offset (0x34)
				}

Method (MPDP, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (SNUM, Ones))
					{
						Return (Zero)
					}

If (LNotEqual (BSCC, 0x02))
					{
						Return (Zero)
					}

Return (One)
				}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x03))
				}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0C)
						{
							"AAPL,slot-name", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"AirPort"
							}, 

"device-id", 
							Unicode ("*"), 
							"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"AirPort"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x34)
							{
								"Atheros 9285 8802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter"
							}, 

"subsystem-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}
		}

though i should note a lot of that was filled in by the compiler.....you might do something more like this:

Device (WLAN)
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				OperationRegion (MINP, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x68)
				Field (MINP, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
					VNUM,   32, 
							Offset (0x09), 
					PINF,   8, 
					SBCC,   8, 
					BSCC,   8, 
							Offset (0x2C), 
					SNUM,   32, 
							Offset (0x34)
				}

Method (MPDP, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (SNUM, Ones))
					{
						Return (Zero)
					}

If (LNotEqual (BSCC, 0x02))
					{
						Return (Zero)
					}

Return (One)
				}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x03))
				}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package ()
					   {
							"AAPL,slot-name", Buffer () {"AirPort"},
							"device-id", Buffer () {0x2A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00},
							"device_type", Buffer () {"AirPort"},
							"model", Buffer () {"Atheros 9285 8802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter"},
							"subsystem-id", Buffer () {0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00},
							"subsystem-vendor-id", Buffer () {0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}
		}

for more complete info please check this post in projectosx

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1416

The solution for "keyboard backlight stays on when put to sleep is:

search for " If (LNot (ATKP))" and remove both instances of it (you also need to remove a couple brackets.

here is the original:

Method (KPTS, 1, NotSerialized)
	{
		If (LNot (ATKP))
		{
			Store (LDBM, Local0)
			If (LNotEqual (Zero, And (Local0, 0x81)))
			{
				Return (Zero)
			}

Store (0x1802, Local0)
			Add (Local0, 0x06, Local0)
			WRAM (Local0, Zero)
		}

and here is the fixed:

Method (KPTS, 1, NotSerialized)
	{

Store (LDBM, Local0)
			{
				Return (Zero)
			}

Store (0x1802, Local0)
			Add (Local0, 0x06, Local0)
			WRAM (Local0, Zero)

and the second instance original:

Method (KWAK, 1, NotSerialized)
	{
		If (LNot (ATKP))
		{
			Store (LDBM, Local0)
			{
				Return (Zero)
			}

Store (B1OF, Local0)
			Store (0x1802, Local2)
			Add (Local2, 0x06, Local2)
			If (LEqual (Local0, One))
			{
				Store (B1CS, Local0)
				Store (DerefOf (Index (LKBS, Local0)), Local1)
				WRAM (Local2, Local1)
			}
			Else
			{
				WRAM (Local2, Zero)
			}
		}

and second instance of it fixed:

Method (KWAK, 1, NotSerialized)
	{

Store (LDBM, Local0)
			{
				Return (Zero)
			}

Store (B1OF, Local0)
			Store (0x1802, Local2)
			Add (Local2, 0x06, Local2)
			If (LEqual (Local0, One))
			{
				Store (B1CS, Local0)
				Store (DerefOf (Index (LKBS, Local0)), Local1)
				WRAM (Local2, Local1)
			}
			Else
			{
				WRAM (Local2, Zero)
			}

more to come.

Hi, any one could help me?

This is the second time that I try to install the snow leopard on my G51. The installation is OK. I can boot in the system and install the combo update, However, I can't pass Step 4, i.e. install the macbookpro update v1.3.

I reinstall the system, but I still can't pass the 4 th step, i.e. install macbookpro update v1.3. My system is recognized as MacPro 2,1, even after I modified the smbios.plist, systemversion.plist. I also try to replace the applesmbios.kext. However, nothing works: my computer is still recognized as MacPro2,1. I think this is the reason why I can't install the macbookpro update v1.3

By the way, I install the snow leopard on MBR disk. Does it matter?

Best!

I tried the fix that you suggested for switching the ID of my Wifi adapter, but nothing changed. I still can't connect to my WPA2 network.

I know there's still something wrong with the adapter because I can't see any of the networks in my school. I would imagine that if it was working properally I would be able to see and connect to these networks.

I also tried switching to the 64bit Kernel and nothing changed. Still can't get an IP address from my network.

Any further help is appreciated.

This is the second time that I try to install the snow leopard on my G51. The installation is OK. I can boot in the system and install the combo update, However, I can't pass Step 4, i.e. install the macbookpro update v1.3.

Best!

@Zhang:, have you installed Chameleon or are you still booting up with the EFI disk? Until you've installed a bootloader, your local plist hacks will not work!.

And no, there's no problem installing to MBR. I'm running a tri-boot OSX/Win7/Ubuntu on MBR with OSX and Windows hibernation working. MBR RULES!

@Fragment: Something is fishy. I get a list of networks at work and at home, but recently at Starbucks, nothing came up at all, and I know from using my netbook that there are at least 8 wifi's running around there. I shutdown, drive to work and load it up, sure enough I can see the usual Wifi's. Something is flaky about this driver.

@Wonslung:I checked my card in "About this Mac" and the only difference between mine is yours is that second number in the "card type" the 0x8f part. I have a different number there. I'll try the DSDT hack from that thread and see if that gets me going on WPA2. If I understood what the OP on that thread is saying, his DSDT hack should be more reliable than using the kext solution anyway.

I tried the fix that you suggested for switching the ID of my Wifi adapter, but nothing changed. I still can't connect to my WPA2 network.

I know there's still something wrong with the adapter because I can't see any of the networks in my school. I would imagine that if it was working properally I would be able to see and connect to these networks.

I also tried switching to the 64bit Kernel and nothing changed. Still can't get an IP address from my network.

Any further help is appreciated.

@fragment

you need to make sure you have the right wifi card. I've met quite a few people with this machine who do NOT have the atheros card, they have an intel card. If you have intel you are never going to be able to get working wifi without changing the card

Hi, any one could help me?

I reinstall the system, but I still can't pass the 4 th step, i.e. install macbookpro update v1.3. My system is recognized as MacPro 2,1, even after I modified the smbios.plist, systemversion.plist. I also try to replace the applesmbios.kext. However, nothing works: my computer is still recognized as MacPro2,1. I think this is the reason why I can't install the macbookpro update v1.3

Best!

@zhangtemplar

you dont' need to install macbookpro update v1.3, that was for people using 10.6.3, eveyrthing in that update was included in 10.6.4, all you need to do is set up the proper smbios settings. you want your system showing up as either:

MacBookPro6,1

or

MacBookPro6,2

don't use that kext, use a more recent chameleon (2.0 rc5 or svn)

you dont' have to use mbr if you don't want. I personally don't like mbr and rarely use it. The ONLY reason to use it is if you already have windows installed and you don't want to format. There is no problem using it but you'll need to use a special bootdisk or some trickery to install.

@Wonslung:I checked my card in "About this Mac" and the only difference between mine is yours is that second number in the "card type" the 0x8f part. I have a different number there. I'll try the DSDT hack from that thread and see if that gets me going on WPA2. If I understood what the OP on that thread is saying, his DSDT hack should be more reliable than using the kext solution anyway.

that part is the important part, the part before that is the vendor id, which means "atheros"

if you look at the card in lspci, you'll see the vendor id, if you check the sub vendor id. you'll find it doesn't match

0x8F is what tells osx it's an "airport extreme"

does yours show as airport extreme?

does yours show as airport extreme?

Yes, mine says Airport Extreme (0x168c, 0x1089).

And on the MBR thing, this laptop doesn't have EFI capability, so you will not be able to install or boot up Windows 7 from a GPT partition. Unless there's some hack that I don't know about.

I got as far as having OSX fully installed and set up before I ran into that Windows 7 installer brick wall. I had to start over with MBR.

Yes, mine says Airport Extreme (0x168c, 0x1089).

And on the MBR thing, this laptop doesn't have EFI capability, so you will not be able to install or boot up Windows 7 from a GPT partition. Unless there's some hack that I don't know about.

I got as far as having OSX fully installed and set up before I ran into that Windows 7 installer brick wall. I had to start over with MBR.

windows 7 will install to gpt. I've done it several time. The only reason to use mbr is to keep from reformatting, other than that, gpt is much better.

Anyways, i'd try the hack, if yours is showing as 0x168c, 0x1089 that means it's not branded as a REAL airport card.

0x168c means atheros, all of them show that, but 0x1089 means that its unhacked (do lspci -nnvv and you'll see your subdev id = 1a3b:1089

you need to apply the dsdt fix.

apple is well know for this, if you use non-airport branded wifi, the disable features. This is why there are so many threads for rebranding cards.

you can have 2 cards which are physically identical but one will be branded apple, the other dell or hp...you'll see the apple card is much faster and has more features.

@fragment

you need to make sure you have the right wifi card. I've met quite a few people with this machine who do NOT have the atheros card, they have an intel card. If you have intel you are never going to be able to get working wifi without changing the card

How do I determine what chipset my Wifi card is? I'm not sure where the physical card is in my laptop...

Also, The Wifi DOES function, but only on WPA, WEP, or Open networks.. I can see and connect to WPA2, but there is no internet connection.

I also can't see any of the public networks at my school. This is minuscule compared to getting the WiFi functioning at home though.

I'm interested on this "branding" you're talking about?

0x168c means atheros, all of them show that, but 0x1089 means that its unhacked (do lspci -nnvv and you'll see your subdev id = 1a3b:1089

you need to apply the dsdt fix.

The plot thickens! I did the DSDT hack and now my Wifi card shows up with identical settings to the picture you posted. However, I still couldn't get an IP from my WPA2 network. I noticed that I could hop on to my neighbors network tho, and she has WPA2 as well (I know because I set it up). Anyways, WPA2 DOES work for me now, but the question was why her network and not mine?

Well the answer is that she doesn't have a b/g/n router, hers is B/G only. So I changed my router from B/G/N mixed mode to B/G mixed mode and BINGO, I'm on my router with WPA2.

I can use mixed mode b/g/n in Windows with this card, so something is preventing it from working with N networks perhaps? I tried N only as well, and that didn't work either. So I'm sticking with B/G for now. Works for me.

Thanks for the DSDT stuff Wonslung.

Just a quick update:

I've tried all the "new stuff" here -

Cool:

• Fn keys work well.
  • New Cham hasn't broken anything :D. I guess C/P-state support works; I haven't tested it, and the temps seem to be about what they were before (~38c idling).
  • New DSDT is great; mem bus speed is now correct, among other things.
  • New PS2 driver is great; I can run 64-bit clean. Seems a little twitchy after wake.
  • Clamshell/manual sleep (from Apple menu) work (more on sleep below).

Not so cool:

• HDA is reset during/after sleep, so voodoohdahelper must be run to restore mixer settings.
  • Hibernate is still broke as *&%$; the machine won't boot until the hiberfile is deleted.
  • Fn key sleep doesn't work. Haven't tried PM "timeout" sleep.
  • Wake from sleep works, unless the system sits for some undetermined time - on wake, display comes up as normal, but the keyboard, trackpad, and even external USB mouse are unresponsive, so a hard rest is necessary.

Very uncool mostly because of the amount of time I spent on it yesterday:

• "Native" (Atheros) wireless.

This wireless thing is weird; but first the facts (as they say in mystery stories :) ):

AR9285 ~= AR5B95 i.e. as far as I can tell they might as well be identical. The card is labeled "AR5B95", but Windows and the published system specs say "AR9285", to wit: Windows PCI ID string: VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_10891A3B

What does this tell us?

• VEN_168C - The device manufacturer (vendor).
  • DEV_002B - Manufacturer's identification of this part (device ID).
  • SUBSYS_10891A3B - Broken down into two parts:
    • 1089 - "sub-device" identification; This can be lots of things - a particular model from a family of similar devices (in which case the "device ID" will often refer to a family of devices), a particular custom firmware version of a part which is otherwise identical to other part with the same "device ID", etc. There are many possibiities.
    • 1a3b - "sub-vendor"; the company (possibly) re-branding the part, usually the manufacturer of the system as a whole.

More specifically:

• 168c = Atheros
  • 002a/002b (I've seen both) = AR9285/AR5B95. I don' know the relationship between DEV ID and Atheros part number; there may not be any.
  • 1089 = unknown, but maybe related to Asus-specific firmware (shrug).
  • 1a3b = Asus, system mfg.

So, the lightbulb should have gone off for those who have been following the Atheros saga.

If you could look at the Windows PCI ID for a "real" Apple Airport card (say, using Bootcamp or 'lspci') you'd (probably) see VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_008F106B.

What does this tell us? VEN and DEV IDs are the same; Atheros 9285. Surprise. The important part is the sub-system:

• 008f = Airport Extreme device
  • 106B = Apple, system mfg.

wonslung is absolutely right; using Cham's DSDT "fake EFI" capability to tell OSX that the wireless card's embedded info corresponds to a real Airport card should make it work like one.

With one exception.

Based on my experiences with a Dual-Band Airport Extreme (the access point, not the wireless card), and pending verification by wonslung (I don't think he's specifically mentioned wireless 'n'), it looks like wireless 'n' connections don't work. I am seeing exactly the same issues that cknoblet is.

I suspect that something, possibly the firmware on the card, isn't cooperating properly with the driver. I need to do a tcp dump and some other diags to look at exactly what's going on at a low level, but yesterday left me kinda burnt out :).

EDIT:

Having written the above, I remembered something interesting from yesterday.

Edited output of 'ifconfig':

en0:

media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

fw0:

media: autoselect <full-duplex>

en1:

media: <unknown subtype>

'en1' is the Atheros wireless card. Interesting.

An update from my attempts at the WiFi problem:

Changing my router to a B/G Mixed mode allows the internal WiFi to connect perfectly fine. I'm still having trouble at school however; I still can't see ANY networks. I agree that there seems to be a problem with how the driver is interacting with the hardware.

On another note entirely, I've been a little shotty with the keyboard problem... I can't seem to figure out how to get the FN button features working properly. There also seems to be a problem with how the keyboard interacts with the OS. Sometimes the Windows key acts as COMMAND key, whereas other times it changes to ALT. Any comments on this issue are welcomed and appreciated :)

Third minor issue, I can't seem to get VoodooHDA to hold my settings for next login. I'm getting annoying feedback from the mic every time I log into Mac OS X and have to turn down the Input Gain every time, lol..

I've fixed this before but I can't remember how...

Third minor issue, I can't seem to get VoodooHDA to hold my settings for next login. I'm getting annoying feedback from the mic every time I log into Mac OS X and have to turn down the Input Gain every time, lol..

Do you really mean every time you logout/login, or do you mean every time you reboot/login? If it's the latter, then something is (probably) wrong with voodoohdahelper. I don't remember off the top of my head where it should be... If it's the former, you're on your own :) .

On another note entirely, I've been a little shotty with the keyboard problem... I can't seem to figure out how to get the FN button features working properly. There also seems to be a problem with how the keyboard interacts with the OS. Sometimes the Windows key acts as COMMAND key, whereas other times it changes to ALT. Any comments on this issue are welcomed and appreciated :wacko:

Do you have the AsusKeys.kext that was posted earlier in this thread? That fixes the FN shortcuts.

And I've never had the Windows key work as the Command key. It has always been mapped to ALT. I did find that you can remap it though with a program called DoubleCommand. I like setting Alt be Alt and Command to be the Windows key. I also set CTRL to be the Command key as well, cuz that's more Windows familiar to me.

Both programs can be obtained from the Google code site.

http://code.google.com/p/g60jx-hackintosh/downloads/list

Do you have the AsusKeys.kext that was posted earlier in this thread? That fixes the FN shortcuts.

And I've never had the Windows key work as the Command key. It has always been mapped to ALT. I did find that you can remap it though with a program called DoubleCommand. I like setting Alt be Alt and Command to be the Windows key. I also set CTRL to be the Command key as well, cuz that's more Windows familiar to me.

Both programs can be obtained from the Google code site.

http://code.google.com/p/g60jx-hackintosh/downloads/list

Thanks very much for that information! That helped me out a lot! Now i'm down to the Sleep/Wake problem. I've looked into it and tried DSDT fixes from another thread, but I still can't put the laptop to sleep either with the command or by closing the lid. I'm a little confused as to how to accomplish this :/ You guys have been a great help! I'll be sure to post all of my progress in my own "Triple Boot Project" thread. :(

Thanks very much for that information! That helped me out a lot! Now i'm down to the Sleep/Wake problem. I've looked into it and tried DSDT fixes from another thread, but I still can't put the laptop to sleep either with the command or by closing the lid. I'm a little confused as to how to accomplish this :/ You guys have been a great help! I'll be sure to post all of my progress in my own "Triple Boot Project" thread. :D

You need to drop that dsdt.aml file into your /extra folder, the reboot. From then on, sleep from the finder menu works. However, there are still some issues with this sleep mode, so I'm still shutting down instead.

For instance, USB's are still powered when the system is sleeping, sound will be full volume when you wake the system, and the case LED's flash nonstop while it's in sleep mode.

So it's not perfect yet, but it's promising. I think we'll get there when they figure out how to fix the USB and LED thing. Sleepwatcher can probably fix the sound, though I'm having trouble figuring out the proper setup for that one.

You need to drop that dsdt.aml file into your /extra folder, the reboot. From then on, sleep from the finder menu works. However, there are still some issues with this sleep mode, so I'm still shutting down instead.

For instance, USB's are still powered when the system is sleeping, sound will be full volume when you wake the system, and the case LED's flash nonstop while it's in sleep mode.

So it's not perfect yet, but it's promising. I think we'll get there when they figure out how to fix the USB and LED thing. Sleepwatcher can probably fix the sound, though I'm having trouble figuring out the proper setup for that one.

you can make usb not powered when sleeping in the dsdt.

IF you need help wiht this let me know.

@wonslung,

I have seen a few hacks for this to on several threads none I have tried have worked.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1550087

This was the most interesting one for sleep and I thought this would for sure fix things but did not.

http://osx86.co/f84/various-dsdt-mods-t1960/page3.html

Will removing power to the USB resolve USB Flash drive not ejected properly upon wake? If this fix works won't that put the Asus into a deeper sleep (Hibernation) which is a good thing!!

@wonslung,

I have seen a few hacks for this to on several threads none I have tried have worked.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1550087

This was the most interesting one for sleep and I thought this would for sure fix things but did not.

http://osx86.co/f84/various-dsdt-mods-t1960/page3.html

Will removing power to the USB resolve USB Flash drive not ejected properly upon wake? If this fix works won't that put the Asus into a deeper sleep (Hibernation) which is a good thing!!

i haven't forgot this, i WILL post these hacks later but for now:

FINALLY, the new voodoohda 2.7.2 with new prefpane FIXES the {censored} volume.

IT's literally 2-3 times louder.

http://www.mediafire.com/?90pzakjeni3lppw

(i added our devid )

setting prefpane like this:

http://img.skitch.com/20101004-gnbpacqxcrr...7du4dcach37.jpg

this is AWESOME

(source http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355 )

@wonslung,

This is great news. I tried this new voodoo and prefpane but the Noise reduction and Stereo Base Sliders will not move. DO I need to remove AppleHDA.kext?

Could it be the org.voodoo.driver.voodoohdahelper.plist and voodoohdahelper?

Do we still need those to remember the prefpane settings?

Thanks

EDITED:

They are moving now. should the AppleHDA.kext and Voodoohdahelper etc be removed?

EDITED:

I removed AppleHDA.kext, it seems that this is not needed. Voodoohdahelper is not working and my settings are being reset on reboot.

Would you happen to have a copy of the latest voodoohdahelper and org.voodoo.driver.voodoohdahelper.plist for the latest voodooHDA.kext?

@wonslung,

I removed AppleHDA.kext, it seems that this is not needed. Voodoohdahelper is not working and my settings are being reset on reboot.

Would you happen to have a copy of the latest voodoohdahelper and org.voodoo.driver.voodoohdahelper.plist for the latest voodooHDA.kext?

I've never kept AppleHDA when using VoodooHDA, they can conflict. (even though the original notes say to do this, i've never done this)

i didn't replace my voodoohdahelpter.....

i thought my settings were sticking but maybe i am wrong, will test