[GUIDE/HOWTO] Snow Leopard 10.6.3/10.6.4 on Asus "Republic of Gamers" G60JX

quaestor

158 posts in this topic

Sorry for the late reply.

At this point, my sound quality is good, no skipping, no crackle. But my pref panel has a lot of devices listed that probably aren't in use. Plus my microphone isn't working at all.

Good that it's working. I had to mess around a bit with that wacky Voodoo control panel to figure out which slider does what - some of them aren't so obvious; I'll take a look tonight and try to remember what I did to get the mic working.

The ps2 kext and pref panel is working fine, but seems to lack precision when you're trying to click on an X or option box, etc. I tried it on a real Mac and when making fine movements on a trackpad, it should be very precise. Mine is kind of hoppy when you try to put the pointer on a small target. Maybe thats a pref panel option that I need to turn on?

I've ended up using SteerMouse. It doesn't really fix the problem all the way, but it helps. This issue is the main reason I'm using the meklort kext vs Voodoo: the Voodoo kext (when I first did the install) was unusable; really bad tracking, cursor jumping around like a flea... The last time I tried Voodoo (after I read Ocha888's post) it didn't work at all

How are things going with the sound and ps2 kexts you're using Quaestor?

See above for PS2. Everything I'm using is is linked to in the "kext" section of the guide. Sound works great, no complaints, except the minor annoyance that I get a quick pop of feed back when the kext loads during boot. Since the control panel and prefs loader aren't available at that point, I don't know of anything that can be done about it.

The main disclaimer for me is that I'm primarily using this laptop with a USB mouse (so the trackpad flakiness isn't really a show-stopper, although if I'm on the road and don't have the mouse, I do find it annoying) and S/PDIF for sound. I don't need the mic, although I do know that it works.

Well I'm still at it. I can't seem to get my mic working without it echoing everything it picks up through the speakers. I have now switched back to the meklort and hda drivers you're running to see if I can get things to work as well as possible, but the problems persist.

Also, I've got the the helper applications for ps2 and hda working, but the HDA one leaves a terminal window open upon boot. Do you know of a fix for that? To suppress that window?

Another problem I'm having is that my clock is running too fast. And by clock I mean the system time. It starts out right, but minutes go by in about :45 seconds. I've read of other hackintoshes having this issue, but I haven't found a fix that works.

I gave steermouse a go, but I didn't love it, so I uninstalled that one.

Oh and by the way, the hibernate in windows fix I posted has been working great. No problems on many reboots into and out of each system. I think it's a pretty safe hack that has great benefits.

Thanks for the continued support!

Noob here...

"•Do the edit to SystemVersion.plist described in this post at netkas' blog. This allows you to install the MBP Update; you won't be able to otherwise."

netkas also says to rewrite SMBIOS.plist located in the /Extra folder, but I don't seem to have an /Extra folder or an smbios.plist. I searched everywhere.

I'm using the empire efi you suggested, and installed 10.6.3 retail. I'm stuck.

Any ideas why I don't have that folder or file? Thanks for any help!

Noob here...

"•Do the edit to SystemVersion.plist described in this post at netkas' blog. This allows you to install the MBP Update; you won't be able to otherwise."

You have to create that /Extra folder manually, and you have to find a copy of smbios with google. There might be a copy of it on the EFI disc, but I don't remember. I just googled and found a default one.

You have to OSX booting from your harddrive before that smbios file will be read though (bootloader install). So if you haven't done it yet, you gotta get Chameleon or Asere working and the system booting without EFI.

When I tried the bootloader install, I kept getting kernal panics. The fix for me was to use the kernal that's on the EFI disk. I mentioned something about it in this thread in an earlier post.

Oh and have a usb keyboard ready, cuz when the bootloader starts working, the EFI kexts won't be loading, and your laptop keyboard WILL stop working.

You have to create that /Extra folder manually, and you have to find a copy of smbios with google. There might be a copy of it on the EFI disc, but I don't remember. I just googled and found a default one.

You have to OSX booting from your harddrive before that smbios file will be read though (bootloader install). So if you haven't done it yet, you gotta get Chameleon or Asere working and the system booting without EFI.

When I tried the bootloader install, I kept getting kernal panics. The fix for me was to use the kernal that's on the EFI disk. I mentioned something about it in this thread in an earlier post.

Oh and have a usb keyboard ready, cuz when the bootloader starts working, the EFI kexts won't be loading, and your laptop keyboard WILL stop working.

Ok, I've been trying to get this working without bugging the heck out of you with a bunch of step by step questions, but I guess I'm just a loser when it comes to mac. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

I installed that machack thing from the EFI disk, which put the extra folder, smbios etc on the os, but it still wouldn't boot. I found the files you referenced and tried the changes, but still wouldn't boot. Just hangs on the white default theme screen.

So, now I've wiped my G60jx and started again using EFI for AMD/i5-m and retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

After the install is finished, are these my steps to get it to boot on it's own? Replace mach_kernel in root with mach_kernel from EFI. Then use terminal to sudo Asere as the boot. Then edit SystemVersion & use/edit the smbios from EFI.

Do you happen to have the specs I need to put in the smbios? I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, but I'm becoming more & more convinced that I'm just a loser.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Ok, I've been trying to get this working without bugging the heck out of you with a bunch of step by step questions, but I guess I'm just a loser when it comes to mac. Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Jayhc, I can help you through it all, but it's probably better done via chat. Check your PM and I'll give you my chat info.

• 2 weeks later...

quaestor,

Thanks for the guide. Just bought the Asus G51Jx from TIgerDirect Now called CompUSA. It has 4GB ram and the I7-720QM. I notice two extra slots and I wonder if that means I can install two more 2GB modules which would be great anyhow I have spend most of Saturday Night and most of the day Sunday trying to figure out why this Asus reboots right after the Chameleon Boot. The Kernel never even starts it boot so I am assuming something is wrong with it?

Using Mozo Chameleon Build 364 and using the C and P state enablers in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

I am actually using Kevin171 dsdt.aml and maybe this might be the problem? The kernel still never boots? It does not even get to the very first line of script we see when the kernel boot. "npvhash"

I never installed the MBP 3.1 update. I just installed 10.6.3 retail. Then from that point on I have had to boot Snow with Empire Boot CD.

I am wondering if your the DSDT is the issue?

Can I install the MBP 3.1 update after a 10.6.4 Combo update?

I have the latest Bios 207. Is this a real BIOS or an EFI bios?

I am guessing I will have to extract my own DSDT using Ubuntu and do the basic fixes DTGP HPET RTC Along with USB/UHCI and Orange Icon fix etc etc. All the fixes we know about.

There is a shutdown fix for gigabyte and Dell XPS M1330/1530 Laptops DSDT hack. WOndering if that will work on your DSDT?

Sorry about the scattered post but really cannot figure out why it just reboots constantly!!

EDITED A FEW HOURS LATER:

I figured out the issue. I had to remove the script referring to enabling C and P states in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

From what I heard there isn't really anything like C States maybe P states on the i7's?

I may have to use Pacifist to extract the kernel and appleIntelcpupm kext unless I need to install other packages besides those two?

Thanks

Now if I could somehow get the APple MBP v1.3 update to install referring to your instructions.

One more thing SHutdown fix for Gigabyte and Dell XPS M1530 with Nvidia cards would this DSDT patch work for us?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

• 2 weeks later...

My experience "hackintoshing" My Asus G60jx. Unless noted i used the guidelines in this topic.

• I could install Retail 10.6.0 using Empire EFI bootcd.iso to boot. Couldnt do it using 10.6.3 Retail.
  • 10.6.3 Combo Failed always so i did:
    • Tried combo 10.6.2 update and then 10.6.3. It failed (note that i reinstalled from 10.6.0 everytime)
    • Tried combo 10.6.4 update it failed (note that i reinstalled from 10.6.0 everytime)
    • Tried 10.6.3 Using "Pacifist" (google for it) it worked
      • Tried MacBookProUpdate 1.3 Using "Pacifist" it worked
      • Tried 10.6.4 combo update Using "Pacifist" it worked.

[*]Here, i got video working flawlessly

[*]Used VoodooPS2 Package (installed on 32-Bit) It worked

[*]Used AtherosL1c for ethernet It worked

[*]Used VoodooHDA for audio It worked

[*]Changed com.apple.boot.plist to override booting 32bit only... crossed fingers... it worked!

[*]Now i got 64Bit Osx 10.6.4

Happy Happy. Joy Joy

• It doesnt sleeps/hibernates/nor shutdowns. Not an issue, i dont use those features. If im using laptop, its on. When i leave desk computer must be off. So no pain. Besides, it starts / shuts off so fast, so no need.
  • Pacifist software is so good. So i decided to donate.

That's a great post Softlake so I'll copy you and post my results as well. I didn't know about Pacifist, so I didn't use it for anything listed here. It sounds like it might have made my life easier.

• Partitioned the drive as MBR and prepped my install disk using info from myHack's OSInstall MBR MOD http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/
  • Initally booted using EFI CD info from this thread, then installed from Retail 10.6.3 disk image with MBR hack from USB stick.
  • Needed to use the kernel from EFI disk preboot.dmg to get the system booting with Chameleon. I was getting a Kernel Panic until I started using this hacked kernel.
  • Installed MBP update using info from this thread, which updated my kernel to something legit.
  • Upgraded to 10.6.4 with no problems.
  • Installed the latest Graphics update with no problems.
  • Graphics hardware seems to be recognized and working properly. 1366x768 native resolution in use.
  • Text looks kind of crappy on this display, I think the G60JX native resolution is just too low. (can be improved with strong text smoothing from TinkerTool)
  • HDMI out Video works!
  • HDMI out Audio doesn't work, but this doesn't work on real Macs either.
  • VGA out works!
  • Keyboard/Trackpad works (trackpad is jumpy but useable) using meklorts 32 bit ps2 driver (and arch=i386) info from this thread. Update: Now using VoodooPS2 in 64 bit mode WITHOUT the arch=i386. I think 32 bit PS2 was preventing proper wake from sleep.
  • Ethernet works great using the driver info from this thread.
  • $9 eBay replacement Wifi card works as a native Airport card. No kexts required. Broadcom BCM94311MCGHP1 Mini PCIe Wireless card is the one I'm currently using.
  • Wifi kill switch does work, but requires a reboot. It's best to leave the switch ON and turn off the Airport via software.
  • Audio works with VoodooHDA information from this thread, though the microphone isn't perfect because you can hear yourself talking.
  • Audio settings load up on startup using the voodoohelper info from this thread. But the mic is open during bootup and speakers are turned up all the way, so you can hear ambient sounds echoed until the system gets fully loaded.
  • Webcam works natively. And has full fluid framerate and resolution in iChat. Framerate sucks in Photobooth and Skype.
  • The FN key isn't recognized by OSX.
  • Volume hotkeys work with the help of a free program called Proxi. I mapped them to f10, f11, f12 (FN button not required.)
  • Keyboard backlight and LCD backlight hotkeys work natively since they are hardware based.
  • USB devices work fine, Iphone syncs with Itunes, USB mouse working, USB bluetooth nub working.
  • System clock was running too fast until I upgraded to a beta of the latest Chameleon loader RC5.
  • CPU was idleing at 50c until I started using RC5 Chameleon (fixes for CPU C/P states). Now idles at 35-36c.
  • Shutdown and Sleep work! using oSxFr33k's DSDT file.
  • Power saving features work, the hard drive stops spinning, the display does turn off, the CPU reduces power.
  • I was able to do all of the DSDT hacks listed in this thread. Though I'm not sure what some of them do.
  • Time Machine doesn't work for me because I don't have a USB harddrive. I used Carbon Copy Cloner instead and it works fine.
  • Card reader does not work.
  • System Profiler is more or less correct about all the hardware.
  • Dual booting to Windows 7 works fine using Chameleon. (hint, set your OSX partition active with Windows, not OSX)
  • Hibernation in Windows 7 works perfectly using the information from this thread (detailed in one of my posts).

I installed OSX first, then Chameleon as the bootloader, then Windows 7. My system is very stable, runs all day and night, starts up and shuts down just fine. In trying to keep my system clean, I've managed to only use a handful of kexts:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AtherosL1cEthernet.kext

FakeSMC.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

I also DID NOT have to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with all of my updates as they are. Nor am I using NullCPUPowerManagment.kext.

Not Working at All:

HDMI out Audio.

FN key.

Card Reader.

Works but not perfect:

Sleep. (Led's flash and USB ports are still powered, but it sleeps and wakes)

Built in Mic.

Trackpad.

Unconfirmed working:

SPDIF Out (though Quaestor mentioned it works for him)

Mic/Line in.

Firewire.

Thanks again Quaestor, you made all of this possible!

*EDIT 9/5/2010: Webcam was listed as "Works but not perfect" due to a low framerate. Well it turns out that low framerate is only present in Photo Booth and Skype. The framerate is perfectly fine in iChat. Also added the name and model number of the wifi card I'm using.

*EDIT 9/6/2010: HDMI Audio out not working is by design. Apparently real Macs don't do this yet, or only the latest greatest ones do, so don't expect it. HDMI/VGA video out does work in mirrored mode instead of just secondary screen. This is a software setting that can be changed from the display settings prefpane. oSxFr33k is very close to a DSDT sleep solution! I'm testing this now.

*EDIT 9/7/2010: Setting Font Smoothing to "Strong" using TinkerTool, I am must happier with the look of the text. It is bolder text now, but looks much less crappy.

*EDIT 9/10/2010: Deep Sleep (hibernate) is most definitely working when using oSxFr33k's DSDT file from the g51jx thread! There are side effects such as USB's not being powered down, and the lid/sleep light flashing. There is a 1% per hour drain on the battery (where there should be basically none). So it's not perfect. Also waking has created some issues such as sound not working properly. I think Sleepwatcher will fix those issues though. Also, I recently had to reinstall completely due to a partition mishap, and now the CPU is idling at a much cooler 35c. I think this might be due to the latest Chameleon rc5 411 build bootloader setting proper cStates with GenerateCStates=Yes key/string.

Hey

I've been attempting this on my so new ASUS G51Jx-X3. I've had done this before with two of my deskops and pretty much know my way around the OSx86 stuff. But this time its really getting me on nerves.

I pop in the Empire-EFI CD, it boots fine. Insert the Snow-Leo Disk (Burned on a Dual Layer Verbatim form a retail disk image on a REAL mac). But it just flashes some code and very quickly reeboots. When I tried "cpus=1" and "busratio=20" flags, I go a KP : Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Same with Rebel-EFI. I also have a mac installation on an external USB drive but it won't boot from it. It halts at a screen with a slash(\) over an uderscore.

Please help.

I pop in the Empire-EFI CD, it boots fine. Insert the Snow-Leo Disk (Burned on a Dual Layer Verbatim form a retail disk image on a REAL mac). But it just flashes some code and very quickly reeboots. When I tried "cpus=1" and "busratio=20" flags, I go a KP : Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Are you certain you're using the EmpireEFI_V1085_R2_AMD_Inteli3i5m.zip version of the bootdisk? I would start there. Also, the Retail image I used is called 10.6.3 hotISO. I burned it on a Verbatim disk on a PC.

I booted up with EFI, swapped in the install disk, wait a few seconds, hit F5. Then choose the Mac install Disk that pops up.

Once I loaded up into the first part of the install, I copied the disk image to a USB stick so I could use the MBR hack.

After that I rebooted, started up with EFI again, and installed from the USB stick.

You're not even getting that far, so thats not good. I have seen that same message before and I think turning USB mode to legacy or whatever the opposite is in BIOS might have fixed that. We don't have many options to play with in BIOS, so change what you can and see if it works.

Keep us informed.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I used the worng Empire-EFI. It was an older one. With the new Empire-EFI, it boots(verbose), loads all kexts. While loading I get a couple of EBIOS errors, which I think are errors on disk, I don't know how its the case tho.

BUT, the fabled ACPI error pops again. This time I get a table

ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml

ACPI Table not found : DSDT.dsl..... and so on

What's causing this?

AND, how did you burn a .dmg on a PC? I have googled but get stuff asking to decompress it. How did you do it?

ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml

ACPI Table not found : DSDT.dsl..... and so on

What's causing this?

AND, how did you burn a .dmg on a PC? I have googled but get stuff asking to decompress it. How did you do it?

I get that ACPI Table error with the bootdisk as well, but it doesn't stop me from installing. I think that's a warning more than an error.

As far as burning a dmg, I found one program that can do it, it's called PowerISO. You can burn a disk without registering the program, so give that a try. I made several coasters till I found PowerISO.

In my case, after the ACPI error, the system immediately reboots.

I ordered 3 Verbatim DL. And used 2 already for Snow Leo. Really dunno how to go ahead with the 3rd.

Also why can't I boot from my external USB Drive? It has mac on it that I customised according to the G51jx with all the kexts and DSDT. It doesn't even go to chameleon. Stops at that \ over underscore.

I get that ACPI Table error with the bootdisk as well, but it doesn't stop me from installing. I think that's a warning more than an error.

As far as burning a dmg, I found one program that can do it, it's called PowerISO. You can burn a disk without registering the program, so give that a try. I made several coasters till I found PowerISO.

I just used the last DL DVD to make a Snow Leo disk using PowerISO. Still the same condition. The system reboots after the ACPI Table error. I have also disabled the LegacyUSB support.

Please help.

I just used the last DL DVD to make a Snow Leo disk using PowerISO. Still the same condition. The system reboots after the ACPI Table error. I have also disabled the LegacyUSB support.

Please help.

I'm using the Asus 206 BIOS.

Asus Fancystart: Disabled

Legacy USB Support: Disabled

Quiet Boot: Disabled

PXE Boot: Disabled

I don't set the DVD drive to be the default boot device, instead I hit ESC during POST and I'm presented with a menu to choose the boot device. There I choose the DVD drive.

Sometimes it boots from the DVD, sometimes it just blinks, so I CTRL-ALT-DEL and hit ESC again during POST. Usually it boots the 2nd time, but only if the DVD drive is still spinning.

Let me know if any of this helps. I'm going to try to boot up with my discs and see if I can cause the error you're getting.

I'm using the Asus 206 BIOS.

Asus Fancystart: Disabled

Legacy USB Support: Disabled

Quiet Boot: Disabled

PXE Boot: Disabled

I don't set the DVD drive to be the default boot device, instead I hit ESC during POST and I'm presented with a menu to choose the boot device. There I choose the DVD drive.

Sometimes it boots from the DVD, sometimes it just blinks, so I CTRL-ALT-DEL and hit ESC again during POST. Usually it boots the 2nd time, but only if the DVD drive is still spinning.

Let me know if any of this helps. I'm going to try to boot up with my discs and see if I can cause the error you're getting.

I downgraded my BIOS version from 208 to 206 and set up the BIOS with all the four parameters disabled. Now it gets past the ACPI table error to:

Leaving the ACPI data untouched

Loading Darwin x86

Press any key to continue....

The moment I press any key it reboots.

Can some other kernel flag help? I've tried -v, -f, -x, cpus=1, busratio=20, in various combinations. All end up the same way: REBOOT.

I downgraded my BIOS version from 208 to 206 and set up the BIOS with all the four parameters disabled. Now it gets past the ACPI table error to:

Leaving the ACPI data untouched

Loading Darwin x86

Press any key to continue....

The moment I press any key it reboots.

Can some other kernel flag help? I've tried -v, -f, -x, cpus=1, busratio=20, in various combinations. All end up the same way: REBOOT.

I never had to add cpus=1, and if you have an i5-430, your busratio should be set to 17.

When I added command line stuff, I always put it last, directly after the -v. I'm not sure if that matters. I also wanted to mention that my system failed at "press any key" plenty of times where it would KP, or just do nothing after pressing the key. I felt that hitting TAB at the bootmenu and doing things from the text view was more stable for some reason, so give that a try. Might want to try arch=i386 as well, maybe a 32/64 bit driver conflict is happening.

Hi Cknoblet:

i know is like getting off-topic.

But i got a doubt there.

You installed osx, then win7, but you kept chameleon as bootloader ? how did you do it ?

Cause after i reinstalled win7, Win made its partition the active one. I tried using EasyBCD, but when i boot using it, i get the boring 1024*800 desktop

Thanks in advance.

BTW, i discovered that its dangerous to use pacifist to "downgrade" (used it to put the MacBookPro 1.3 Software over my 10.6.4, and it screwed everything thinking that the graphics trouble would disappear with the MacBookPro update nvidia kext), lucky me had done a Time Machine Backup hours before.

You installed osx, then win7, but you kept chameleon as bootloader ? how did you do it ?

After you install Win7, Windows replaces Chameleon as your bootloader.

So what you have to do is boot into Windows and use Diskpart to set the OSX partition as your Active partition. BE VERY CAREFUL because Diskpart can nuke your OSX partition if you do the wrong thing. Read up on using Diskpart before you go hacking around.

After setting the OSX partition to active, you'll need to use the EFI boot disk to boot your installed OSX. So boot to the EFI menu, then choose to start your installed OSX from there. Once OSX is running, MANUALLY reinstall Chameleon, skipping the part where you set your OSX partition to be active, because you already set it active in Windows.

The difference here is that setting active in OSX will kill the Windows boot stuff, whereas setting active from Windows causes considerations to be made that you're probably dual booting. So Microsoft actually did something right.

This might sound confusing and complex, and it is. It's not that easy to do, and there's a lot of misinformation out there on how to dual boot with Chameleon as the loader. It can be done though, and the key to it all for me was to set active from Windows instead of OSX.

Hey I've got snow leopard working pretty well, except a few glitches tho. One thing that is uber essential to me is the WiFi. I read about you guys using a replacement card. Can you please tell what specific networking card is it? Is there any option for a b/g/n card?

Edit-

I found a lot of cards on eBay. Here> http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH_B...d=p3286.c0.m301

There are some 802.11n cards as well. Will they work? Will the BIOS recognize the card?

I found a lot of cards on eBay. Here> http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH_B...d=p3286.c0.m301

There are some 802.11n cards as well. Will they work? Will the BIOS recognize the card?

The Broadcom BCM94311MCGHP1 Mini PCIe Wireless card from seller WonderCity3 is the one I purchased. It's used, but only $12 with shipping, works natively in Windows and OSX. It will show up as a legit Airport in OSX so you don't need to install a kext or hack anything to make it work.

It is a full height card, so it can't be screwed down, but like the first post says, you can easily tape it flat with a single piece of electrical tape. Plus once you put the back cover on the laptop, the card will be solidly mounted.

The other detriment is that that card isn't wireless N. I have a wireless B/G/N router, and even with the original N card in and functioning, there was no noticeable different in the speed of transferring large files, than with this new card on wireless G. I even put the computer on top of my router to reduce interference and signal loss. Wireless N is a scam. You won't notice any difference in web speeds using Wireless G. And if you're gonna transfer large files, you're probably going to hook up ethernet, just like I do.

My next project is to solder a usb hub inside the laptop so I can have my wireless nub, and bluetooth nub mounted internally. That will free up all my external USB ports!