- Partitioned the drive as MBR and prepped my install disk using info from myHack's OSInstall MBR MOD http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads/
- Initally booted using EFI CD info from this thread, then installed from Retail 10.6.3 disk image with MBR hack from USB stick.
- Needed to use the kernel from EFI disk preboot.dmg to get the system booting with Chameleon. I was getting a Kernel Panic until I started using this hacked kernel.
- Installed MBP update using info from this thread, which updated my kernel to something legit.
- Upgraded to 10.6.4 with no problems.
- Installed the latest Graphics update with no problems.
- Graphics hardware seems to be recognized and working properly. 1366x768 native resolution in use.
- Text looks kind of crappy on this display, I think the G60JX native resolution is just too low. (can be improved with strong text smoothing from TinkerTool)
- HDMI out Video works!
- HDMI out Audio doesn't work, but this doesn't work on real Macs either.
- VGA out works!
- Keyboard/Trackpad works (trackpad is jumpy but useable) using meklorts 32 bit ps2 driver (and arch=i386) info from this thread. Update: Now using VoodooPS2 in 64 bit mode WITHOUT the arch=i386. I think 32 bit PS2 was preventing proper wake from sleep.
- Ethernet works great using the driver info from this thread.
- $9 eBay replacement Wifi card works as a native Airport card. No kexts required. Broadcom BCM94311MCGHP1 Mini PCIe Wireless card is the one I'm currently using.
- Wifi kill switch does work, but requires a reboot. It's best to leave the switch ON and turn off the Airport via software.
- Audio works with VoodooHDA information from this thread, though the microphone isn't perfect because you can hear yourself talking.
- Audio settings load up on startup using the voodoohelper info from this thread. But the mic is open during bootup and speakers are turned up all the way, so you can hear ambient sounds echoed until the system gets fully loaded.
- Webcam works natively. And has full fluid framerate and resolution in iChat. Framerate sucks in Photobooth and Skype.
- The FN key isn't recognized by OSX.
- Volume hotkeys work with the help of a free program called Proxi. I mapped them to f10, f11, f12 (FN button not required.)
- Keyboard backlight and LCD backlight hotkeys work natively since they are hardware based.
- USB devices work fine, Iphone syncs with Itunes, USB mouse working, USB bluetooth nub working.
- System clock was running too fast until I upgraded to a beta of the latest Chameleon loader RC5.
- CPU was idleing at 50c until I started using RC5 Chameleon (fixes for CPU C/P states). Now idles at 35-36c.
- Shutdown and Sleep work! using oSxFr33k's DSDT file.
- Power saving features work, the hard drive stops spinning, the display does turn off, the CPU reduces power.
- I was able to do all of the DSDT hacks listed in this thread. Though I'm not sure what some of them do.
- Time Machine doesn't work for me because I don't have a USB harddrive. I used Carbon Copy Cloner instead and it works fine.
- Card reader does not work.
- System Profiler is more or less correct about all the hardware.
- Dual booting to Windows 7 works fine using Chameleon. (hint, set your OSX partition active with Windows, not OSX)
- Hibernation in Windows 7 works perfectly using the information from this thread (detailed in one of my posts).
I installed OSX first, then Chameleon as the bootloader, then Windows 7. My system is very stable, runs all day and night, starts up and shuts down just fine. In trying to keep my system clean, I've managed to only use a handful of kexts:
I also DID NOT have to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with all of my updates as they are. Nor am I using NullCPUPowerManagment.kext.
Not Working at All:
HDMI out Audio.
Works but not perfect:
Sleep. (Led's flash and USB ports are still powered, but it sleeps and wakes)
Built in Mic.
SPDIF Out (though Quaestor mentioned it works for him)
Thanks again Quaestor, you made all of this possible!
*EDIT 9/5/2010: Webcam was listed as "Works but not perfect" due to a low framerate. Well it turns out that low framerate is only present in Photo Booth and Skype. The framerate is perfectly fine in iChat. Also added the name and model number of the wifi card I'm using.
*EDIT 9/6/2010: HDMI Audio out not working is by design. Apparently real Macs don't do this yet, or only the latest greatest ones do, so don't expect it. HDMI/VGA video out does work in mirrored mode instead of just secondary screen. This is a software setting that can be changed from the display settings prefpane. oSxFr33k is very close to a DSDT sleep solution! I'm testing this now.
*EDIT 9/7/2010: Setting Font Smoothing to "Strong" using TinkerTool, I am must happier with the look of the text. It is bolder text now, but looks much less crappy.
*EDIT 9/10/2010: Deep Sleep (hibernate) is most definitely working when using oSxFr33k's DSDT file from the g51jx thread! There are side effects such as USB's not being powered down, and the lid/sleep light flashing. There is a 1% per hour drain on the battery (where there should be basically none). So it's not perfect. Also waking has created some issues such as sound not working properly. I think Sleepwatcher will fix those issues though. Also, I recently had to reinstall completely due to a partition mishap, and now the CPU is idling at a much cooler 35c. I think this might be due to the latest Chameleon rc5 411 build bootloader setting proper cStates with GenerateCStates=Yes key/string.